Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Nintendo DS Lite
The Nintendo DS Lite
2006-06-16, 4:24 PM #41
Yeah, any research on Princess Peach will tell you how its geared more towards the younger crowd.

Go for the New Super Mario Bros if you want a platformer thats more for anyone.
2006-06-16, 4:40 PM #42
Originally posted by Brian:
I will definitely check out the yoshi one and the kirby one.

IMO, Yoshi Touch and Go is not worth the money. It's a tech demo that ended up getting blown into a full game. Kirby's Canvas Curse, on the other hand, is a good game all around that uses some of the same mechanics as Touch and Go but is much more compelling all around.

I'm hella confused by your Castlevania comment by the way. How could the 2nd Castlevania game have been more RPGish than the rest? The series didn't take a true RPG direction until Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on the PS1, the 10th or so game with Castlevania in the title.

Anyway, if you're looking for an RPGish Castlevania game, both Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA) and Dawn of Sorrow (DS) are for you.
2006-06-16, 6:05 PM #43
Originally posted by KnobZ2:
IMO, Yoshi Touch and Go is not worth the money. It's a tech demo that ended up getting blown into a full game. Kirby's Canvas Curse, on the other hand, is a good game all around that uses some of the same mechanics as Touch and Go but is much more compelling all around.

I'm hella confused by your Castlevania comment by the way. How could the 2nd Castlevania game have been more RPGish than the rest? The series didn't take a true RPG direction until Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on the PS1, the 10th or so game with Castlevania in the title.

Anyway, if you're looking for an RPGish Castlevania game, both Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA) and Dawn of Sorrow (DS) are for you.

Did you ever play #2? It was like a side-scrolling dragon warrior or something. It was a lot of fun, but difficult. You had to go back and visit areas you already had in order to upgrade your whip and whatnot. Every one I've played after that was simply a linear side-scrolling action game. Not much to them. Maybe I missed something? I really don't play consoles that often, I got really jaded after the n64 sucked so bad compared to snes, and all the games had severe camera angle problems (well, all the games I cared about, like mario & zelda) as well as other problems making the transition to 3d. The gamecube was quite a bit better, but I was disappointed in Zelda and the Mario Sunshine got difficult quickly.
2006-06-16, 6:07 PM #44
I have the money, but I'll pick one up next week
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2006-06-16, 6:10 PM #45
Yeah, Simon's Quest. Definitely different from 1 and 3, since you had to worry about collecting items and using them appropriately and such. Definitely a very non-linear game. The ones like Aria of Sorrow for GBA are kinda similar in some respects, they're still non-linear, but not quite as had and sometimes confusing as Simon's Quest I'd say.
2006-06-16, 6:11 PM #46
Don't you get it Cool Matty?

YOU LOSE!

Good day sir!
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2006-06-16, 6:21 PM #47
Who cares anyway? If you like the DS, buy it. If you like the PSP, buy it. I fail to understand how someone else buying a different system than you affects your happiness.
2006-06-16, 6:23 PM #48
Who cares anyway?

Did you even read the thread?
2006-06-16, 6:43 PM #49
Who cares anyway? If you like the DS, buy it. If you like the PSP, buy it. I fail to understand how someone else buying a different system than you affects your happiness.

Are you trying to ruin my fun? It's an argument, Brian! It gives me something to do! DON'T RUIN MY FUN, BRIAN! :gbk:
2006-06-16, 8:35 PM #50
I find the debate pretty annoying. I'm reading this thread to find out about the DS Lite, not why you think the PSP is better. No amount of internet facts will change your mind about your PSP, so the whole debate is pointless. Just drop it, or start a new thread.

After reading this thread and doing a little research, I went and bought a DS Lite, along with the new Super Mario and Mario Kart. I haven't tried single player yet, because Noble_Outlaw and I played multiplayer until our batteries died. Hot damn, Mario versus Luigi is a lot of fun.

I want to get the Kirby game and Warioware Inc. next.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-06-16, 8:46 PM #51
No I have a better idea, how about you take your "/me huggles his PSP for it still rox the DS hardcore." and your ":rolleyes:" out of the DS thread?
2006-06-16, 8:50 PM #52
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]Or just scroll past it / put us on ignore and get over it? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Or, like he said...start a new thread. If you want to go into the PSP vs DS debate that has been done 1000's of times all over the Internet (and will never change anyone's opinion), by all means do it. But quit filling up this thread with that crap when this thread was supposed to be about the DS Lite. It did not start as a "DS Lite owns PSP!"

Back on topic, I have a fatty DS (Electric Blue) and am holding off on the Lite to see if they're going to announce any new colors. White is not my favorite DS color - so hopefully they release more soon. Don't really want to import it for other colors. Have lots of expenses this month so the wait is doing me good anyways.

[EDIT]: Jon beat me too it... :gbk:
2006-06-16, 9:01 PM #53
I never saw the point in buying the same system just because it had a few small features. For instance, I still own the original GBA. I only bought the DS Lite because I didn't already have a DS. I have a PSP, but don't like the games. But, that's clearly for another thread...
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-06-16, 9:02 PM #54
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]:downs:[/QUOTE]Oh hey, I have a better idea. If you think the PSP is better than the DS how about you quit posting in DS threads?

This is retarded.
2006-06-16, 9:15 PM #55
All the stuff on my end is cleared out. Next time you wanna start a flamewar with me Jon, do it in PM. kthx.
2006-06-16, 9:20 PM #56
CM, you trolled this thread. You posted flamebait and you admitted that you were only interested in starting an argument with me. Who do you think you're trying to fool?

I'm not deleting my posts. I'm not covering up your bull**** for you.
2006-06-16, 9:28 PM #57
Originally posted by Jon`C:
CM, you trolled this thread. You posted flamebait and you admitted that you were only interested in starting an argument with me. Who do you think you're trying to fool?

I'm not deleting my posts. I'm not covering up your bull**** for you.

Way to play.

Here's how it works, Jon:

A. I post my opinion. You get pissed by thinking its flamebait, and straight up flame me.
B. I start an argument (because of your flame).
C. You continue argument.
D. I make mention in IRC chat that I wonder how long Jon plans to keep arguing with me. Note that I never planned on STARTING one with you. You did that all on your own.
E. After you and others wanted it out of the thread (completely reversing on your stance earlier as you WERE arguing with me, so if it really pissed you off that much, you shouldn't have replied in the thread), I delete the posts, removing the "bull****" from the thread. As a nice gesture. I didn't have to, and it certainly doesn't cover my *** for any of this. (Not that there's anything to cover anyway)
F. If you keep this crap up, either PM me, or I'll put you on ignore. That's all there is to it, Jon.
2006-06-16, 10:02 PM #58
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]/me huggles his PSP for it still rox the DS hardcore.[/QUOTE]
Yea, wow, that belongs in a thread about the DS.
2006-06-16, 10:06 PM #59
You guys seriously need to calm down. This is the INTERNET for goodness sake.
2006-06-16, 10:08 PM #60
Speaking of the GBA, I thought the original GBA's screen was awful. That was definitely worth the upgrade. Not sure about the DS vs. DS Lite. Sitting side by side, the DS is definitely dimmer and less clear than the DS Lite.
2006-06-16, 10:12 PM #61
Speaking of the GBA, I thought the original GBA's screen was awful. That was definitely worth the upgrade. Not sure about the DS vs. DS Lite. Sitting side by side, the DS is definitely dimmer and less clear than the DS Lite.

Hay now, the GBA was my baby :(

I find it insanely funny how well the GBA is STILL doing against all the consoles. The DS Lite should have found a way to play the old GBC/GB games though :/
2006-06-16, 10:12 PM #62
Good god the original GBA screen was a pain to use... SP was a big improvement, but wow, the GBA Micro sure has a nice screen. Played with one a while back, screen was much brighter and sharper than the SP, although it is a tad smaller. Of course I never actually owned any incarnation of the 3. I haven't bought a handheld since the GB Color.

Really hope a blue DS Lite comes out within the next few months. Phantom Hourglass looks like it's gonna be hot.
2006-06-17, 6:14 AM #63
Did you ever play #2? It was like a side-scrolling dragon warrior or something. It was a lot of fun, but difficult. You had to go back and visit areas you already had in order to upgrade your whip and whatnot. Every one I've played after that was simply a linear side-scrolling action game.

In modern Castlevania games, you have to backtrack a lot to unlock new areas, and the games are quite nonlinear (think Super Metroid). You no longer just upgrade your weapons but weapons as well as stats in general. You level up and can gain more than 100 abilities from enemies (in Aria and Dawn of Sorrow). There are much more than just linear side-scrolling action games these days. And if you've played any N64 Castlevania games: they sucked. The 2D ones are the way to go.

I really think you should give either of those 2 games a try to see if you like it.

Here are some video reviews of the latest games:
http://www.gamespot.com/gba/adventure/castlevaniaariaofsorrow/review.html?q=aria%20of%20sorrow
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/castlevania/review.html
2006-06-17, 6:18 AM #64
I think I could get one, but at this moment only for Final Fantasy III and VI's GBA version (which isn't a total remake, though). So... maybe not.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-06-17, 1:53 PM #65
Whoa, just read up on the remake of FF3. Sounds interesting... I'm pretty sure I never got around to playing that one in its original state.
2006-06-17, 3:15 PM #66
Originally posted by Darth:
Whoa, just read up on the remake of FF3. Sounds interesting... I'm pretty sure I never got around to playing that one in its original state.

You probably didn't. FF3j has not seen an official release date outside of Japan. Unless you were playing the Japanese Rom (with a fan translation).
2006-06-17, 4:37 PM #67
I know it has no US release, but like you said, that hasn't kept lots of people from playing it. =P

I almost went ahead and bought a one today, but no stores had Dawn of Sorrow so I decided I'd wait a bit. There are some places selling DS Lites along with Brain Age for free right now, by the way. Circuit City has a coupon on their website good for a few days, instore. Best Buy is supposedly doing it too, and Wal-Mart has it available online.
2006-06-19, 12:55 PM #68
I spent some more time with the lite vs. the regular ds, and the lite definitely has a much brighter screen, but not only that, it's much, much clearer. It's like watching DVD on a high-quality plasma vs. VHS on a 21" tube tv from the 80s.
2006-06-19, 9:19 PM #69
I plan on getting a Lite this summer, as well as repurchasing a PSP. Final Fantasy 3j owns my soul. Cabbage Kids 4 Lyfe.
D E A T H
2006-06-19, 9:30 PM #70
I wish the lite didnt have such inferior sound. It's roughly 40% of the OG DS's sound output. Pretty lame.
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2006-06-19, 9:38 PM #71
Originally posted by bradsh:
I wish the lite didnt have such inferior sound. It's roughly 40% of the OG DS's sound output. Pretty lame.

I never understood why people wanted to use the stereo on a handheld. It's obviously going to suck. Headphones 4 lyfe (or should I say IEMs).
D E A T H
2006-06-19, 9:39 PM #72
You guys seriously need to calm down. This is the INTERNET for goodness sake.
The internet is the BATTLEGROUND OF NERDS

Take it away from them and the world death toll will escalate.
2006-06-19, 9:39 PM #73
It sounds the same to me. I didn't notice any difference at all. I was expecting it, but no loss. I even hooked up my DS to my surround sound (to see if it would sound good) and it did.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-06-20, 12:17 AM #74
Good lord, the DS had more powerful sound? I was really, really impressed by the DS Lite's simulated surround effect. I also found it to be somewhat uncomfortable at full volume.
2006-06-20, 1:54 PM #75
They're probably playing it next to a jet engine.
2006-06-20, 1:59 PM #76
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Good lord, the DS had more powerful sound? I was really, really impressed by the DS Lite's simulated surround effect. I also found it to be somewhat uncomfortable at full volume.

Same here. When I have my DS at full blast, some sound can get REALLY distorted.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-06-20, 2:28 PM #77
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]I never understood why people wanted to use the stereo on a handheld. It's obviously going to suck. Headphones 4 lyfe (or should I say IEMs).[/QUOTE]

The OG DS had superior sound, which i would estimate to be quite a bit less than the DS LITE. Both units acheive equal volume when the OG DS is twice as far from you as the DS Lite, and i believe thats a logarithmic equation for volume over distance so im just not going to bother.

The difference in QUALITY isnt there; the dslite and og ds have the same sound quality. But the OG DS was about twice as loud. it was awesome \m/

that said, why bother with headphones when the OG DS could rock out pretty hard with cool stereo at good volumes
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2006-06-21, 8:15 AM #78
Yesterday I beat the New Super Mario game. I went through every world except world 7. I got a mini mushroom after that and now I'm playing world 7.

I hate that it won't let you save most of the time. Now that I beat it, it lets me save anywhere on the overworld map. That should happen throughout the whole game, esp. on a handheld system.

How do you know whether you found all the exits to each level? In super mario world, red dots on the overworld signified multiple exits, does something similar exist for this? And how do you access the cannon things that are scattered throughout the overworld map?
2006-06-21, 8:52 AM #79
I own 3 Game Boys, only one of which is an Advance. I bought Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles for the GameCube, and it is an absolutely awesome game if you can play it with other people. The people I can play it with don't have Game Boy Advances, so I can't play it with anyone (the game is boring otherwise). I am looking forward to getting a Nintendo DS Lite, but it is a horrible shame that I won't be able to play FF:CC with it (or so I have heard). Nintendo has pulled some of the same proprietary bulls**t as Sony.

I just want to play FF:CC without having to buy another of the same system I already own which a used version of I saw at EB games for freaking $50. WTF? :gbk:
2006-06-21, 9:46 AM #80
Brian, have you ever played that viewtiful joe game that VVD pointed out?

I got the first one for cheap on the PS2 and its awesome fun, oldschool intense action fun with many many punches and kicks.

↑ Up to the top!