Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Greatest President of All Time
The Greatest President of All Time
2006-06-17, 4:33 PM #81
TR was great... until he tried to take the republicans back from Taft, and split the party in half, giving the presidency to Wilson.
FDR has a special place for being the only president to serve more than two terms, a feat that has since been made impossible.
Lots of people seem to like JFK... but he did a pretty awful job. All he did right was die.
Eisenhower people liked just cause of his sucess in WW2.
Ford had the distinction of never being elected. He was appointed vice pres when Spiro Agnew stepped down, then became president when Nixon was forced to resign.
Reagan was the 'great communicator'. You'd think the three presidents since would take a cue from him. Reagan's politics weren't at all special; but he told the people what was what, and they loved him for it.
Dubya will be remembered by history as either the best or worst president ever, depending on how the Iraq conflict goes. It's at a pretty big turning point now, with the deployment of the new Iraqi army.

As for the 1800s presidents - people only seem to remember GW and AL, and can't even remember all the ones in between. I'd vote for McKinley, cause he from my home town!
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-06-17, 5:28 PM #82
william henry harrisom FTW. (j/k)
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2006-06-17, 7:41 PM #83
All the presidents sucked. They should all have been shot.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-06-17, 7:43 PM #84
Brian Lolzier[Mispelt?]

What....? :psyduck: :psyduck: :P :psyduck:
2006-06-17, 8:45 PM #85
I'll go with...

Woodrow Wilson

If you want to know why, look it up.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-06-17, 8:47 PM #86
Originally posted by Isuwen:

As for the 1800s presidents - people only seem to remember GW and AL, and can't even remember all the ones in between. I'd vote for McKinley, cause he from my home town!

That's because between GW and AL there was a growing rift in the social consciousness of the US and none of the Presidents addressed this.
2006-06-17, 8:51 PM #87
Originally posted by Schming:
I'll go with...

Woodrow Wilson

Wilson kept us out of war!
2006-06-17, 9:03 PM #88
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
']Wilson kept us out of war!

...no poopface. Try again.
2006-06-17, 9:06 PM #89
You're all wrong. Tilden ftw
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-06-17, 9:37 PM #90

I was quoting his campaign slogan when he was running for a second term you hippie commie indie rock kid
2006-06-17, 10:43 PM #91

League of Nations?

Edit: REPUBLICANS sponsored the 16th Amendment??? *scratches his name off from the party listing*
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-06-17, 10:50 PM #92
The only thing I hate about FDR is the term limits thing. That really leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-06-17, 10:57 PM #93
[QUOTE=Michael MacFarlane]We got out of the Depression because wartime production created a need for jobs. No other reason.

Also, why is it important whether any Massassians could do better? Last I checked, no one's touting mscbuck as the greatest President the U.S. has ever seen.[/QUOTE]
it wasn't that simple, economics isn't that simple
2006-06-17, 11:00 PM #94
"The only thing I hate about FDR is the term limits thing. That really leaves a sour taste in my mouth."

why, there were no term limits when he was president, obviously
2006-06-17, 11:03 PM #95
Aye. The 22nd amendment was ratified in 1951.
Pissed Off?
2006-06-17, 11:13 PM #96
Originally posted by TSM_Bguitar:
"The only thing I hate about FDR is the term limits thing. That really leaves a sour taste in my mouth."

why, there were no term limits when he was president, obviously

We didn't need an amendment because all the presidents previous to him honored the integrity of Washington.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-06-17, 11:14 PM #97
FGR
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2006-06-18, 4:16 AM #98
UQWFBE
2006-06-18, 4:28 AM #99
George W Bush.

Hey, at least he gave half the world a perfect subject for jokes.
2006-06-18, 4:32 AM #100
*shoots the monkey*
2006-06-18, 4:42 AM #101
Originally posted by Krokodile:
FGR

I second this.

Niku for president!
2006-06-18, 9:01 AM #102
Originally posted by TSM_Bguitar:
it wasn't that simple, economics isn't that simple

It wasn't that simple, but it definitley was a big part of it. Businesses started to use cost-plus pricing which guaranteed profits no matter what kind of production, or what kind of workers they hired, so they started hiring everybody in sight. Demand was huge for war-time products in an INCREDIBLY short amount of time, and 12 million men who were now in WWII had to be replaced.

One theory, that I also believe in, is that the depression basically ended when Roosevelt died and the government cooled off of wage controls, tarrifs, price controls, and supply controls. All that wage / price / supply controls did in the Great Depression was cause even further shortage, as prices were being artifically lowered below equilibrium, and causing shortages. And wages were being artificallly risen, so companies couldn't hire as many people. The return to normalcy was definitly a bigger part of the resolution of the Great Depression. Once these plans were being cut, America finally started to see recovery.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-06-18, 9:58 AM #103
I'll go with...

Woodrow Wilson

He set up the league of nations, which failed after the world's biggest power didn't become a member.

Why the hell would you vote for him?

[I suppose his 14 points are a plus.]
nope.
2006-06-18, 10:11 AM #104
I'll go with...

Woodrow Wilson

Yeah...wasn't he a racist bigot?
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-06-18, 11:06 AM #105
I don't have a favorite president, but I admire a few:

TR - Progressive policies for the environment, business regulation (safe food, trusts), strong foreign policy

FDR - Kept the morale of the people up, fireside chats, good model

Reagan - Great Communicator, stared down the barrel of the USSR, tax cuts, smaller gov't

Clinton - Clever and skilled politician, a moderate leader (ex., budget balancing is fiscal conservatism, limits on welfare etc.)

The Founding Fathers
2006-06-18, 11:13 AM #106
Originally posted by KnightRider2000:
Yeah...wasn't he a racist bigot?

instead of those non-bigot racists?
Moo.
2006-06-18, 11:15 AM #107
...Don't confuse me
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-06-18, 11:35 AM #108
Cow wins. :P
nope.
2006-06-18, 11:50 AM #109
I'll go with...

Woodrow Wilson

He gets props for the Fourteen Points and the League of Nations, but the suspension of civil rights that occured during WWI was simply unacceptable.
2006-06-18, 11:53 AM #110
Originally posted by Warlord:
He gets props for the Fourteen Points and the League of Nations, but the suspension of civil rights that occured during WWI was simply unacceptable.

I just like Wilsonian policy as an ideology. The ways that he approached global problems were ahead of his time. This was the time of the Scopes Monkey Trial, need I say more?
2006-06-18, 12:49 PM #111
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]Ulysses! Yay for drunk presidents! I pick him only cause he was a damn good general, not cause of his presidency. :D[/QUOTE]
actually he wasn't that good a general. he just happened to be in the right place at the right time
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-06-18, 12:58 PM #112
how about garfield the only president to serve two non-consecutive terms.

or was that cleveland.

whatever. it was one of the two.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-06-18, 1:00 PM #113
Originally posted by Warlord:

why points for the LON? It failed and was disbanded
2006-06-18, 1:26 PM #114
Not through any fault of his own.
Pissed Off?
2006-06-18, 2:00 PM #115
The keystone to the structure was the greatest power in the world at that time, which he was head of! If America had joined the league, there would have been someone to act during the Abyssinian crisis since France was heavily against any conflict of any sort thanks to all its losses in WW1 and Britain's policy of appeasement that they had adopted made them shy away from all conflicts, and they didn't want to rule out Italy as a potential ally in the future. If a large power in a stronger position was a member of the league, they pobably could have enforced effective oil sanctions on Itlay causing them to withdraw. The Abyissinian conflict drew attention away from Hitler's remilitarisation of Germany allowing him to take the Rhineland, which could have probably been avoided if Wilson's America had join the LON.
nope.
2006-06-18, 2:02 PM #116
Polk.

FDR sucked my wang.
D E A T H
2006-06-18, 3:01 PM #117
Well that's one way to put it.
2006-06-18, 5:31 PM #118
I almost forgot.

Kedri. Because he is timeless.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-06-18, 6:18 PM #119
Schnickelhund Schweinefleischfresser ftw

Yay for KKK presidents of true German blood

:psykokwak:
2006-06-18, 6:19 PM #120
Kedri, of course. He may not be president until 2016, but he still gets my vote.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.

↑ Up to the top!