Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Any one need a logo?
Any one need a logo?
2006-06-28, 4:39 AM #81
Originally posted by Jepman:
So do you know vector art?

Yes I do, but I did not use it on that particular image.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2006-06-28, 4:48 AM #82
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
Yes I do, but I did not use it on that particular image.

And uhh... why not?

Logos of just about any form (especially with ANY business) should be vector.
2006-06-28, 4:56 AM #83
Yeah, one thing you really want your logo to be is scalable. It should look as good on ball pens as on a huge poster.
Though I guess a small local band doesn't care very much about that.
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-06-28, 5:13 AM #84
Originally posted by Impi:
Yeah, one thing you really want your logo to be is scalable. It should look as good on ball pens as on a huge poster.
Though I guess a small local band doesn't care very much about that.

They'll care if they ever want to make anything in print, such as t-shirts, or CD-covers. Cause then the resolution of the image jumps from 72dpi to 300dpi, and that logo is gonna be small as heck.
2006-06-28, 5:26 AM #85
I work as an intern all damn day with professional graphic artists and I've never seen them make a logo that wasn't vector. That should probably tell you something, Gold, if you ever want to become anything other than a hack who makes crappy $5 logos for crappy local bands.
"Art is a lie that makes us to realize the truth."
- Pablo Picasso

blog thingamajig
2006-06-28, 5:29 AM #86
To prove a point, I've taken your logo, and pasted it on the size of the image, in 300dpi. You can easily see the size difference. (Linked due to omg huge res)

And 300dpi isn't even the highest print setting available, it's just one of the standards.

http://etc.sorrowind.net/NeoN.jpg

Oh, and don't bother trying to resize the image in PS to 300dpi. The results are.... less than adequate.

This is why you should use vector.
2006-06-28, 6:24 AM #87
Cool Matty, Achelois, you people need to become my clients like... now. It would be a sweet sweet oh so heavenly change to have someone who knows what they are doing to deal with. About 99% of my clients are morons.

Client A: "Here, I sent you a 200 pixel x 450 pixel picture I took from the internet, and I'd like it if you could please print me a 4 feet x 4 feet foamcore by tomorrow night."

Client B : "I sent you a pdf, the fonts should be included."
Jep : "Yes, but in order for my rip to process your files correctly I must convert it to an illustrator esp format. Its an older rip you see."
Client B : "Fonts are included in the pdf."
Jep : "Not if you open them in illustrator. Pdf fonts are simply for viewing in Acrobat."
Client B : "I've sent pdf's before and they worked!"
Jep : "Yes, because your fonts were vectorized. That is fine."
Client B : "Oh."
Jep : "Die a horrible death."
Client B : "Thank you for your help, I'll send a new version. Have a nice day!"
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-06-28, 6:27 AM #88
I hate font inclusions. Mostly because 90% of the time they just don't work. Period.

If you want me to use your stupid font, then zip it up with the freakin PSD or whatever, and send it to me!
2006-06-28, 6:29 AM #89
something ugly

That isn't a logo, that's an overly photoshopped big ugly word that looks like it was made with a generator. Was it?

Logos aren't just big ugly glowing text. Logos need to be printable, which usually means they need to look good in black and white. Take a look at any logo made by any major corporation. They're simple designs, usually composed of an emblem and/or some kind of stylized text. And they all look good in TWO COLOR black and white. As in, not gray scale, but just black, and just white.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-06-28, 7:14 AM #90
Exactly. Logos should never use more than 4 colors, total.

This is an example of a logo I made for myself, in my Illustrator class:

[http://etc.sorrowind.net/mylogofull.gif]

Now, since anti-aliasing is kicking in, there is at least 20 colors there. But, since anti-aliasing isn't necessary in print, the colors are reduced to what they appear to be, 3 colors.

Like this:

[http://etc.sorrowind.net/mylogo.gif]

It's still effective, it makes a statement, and its unique. Obviously more work could be done, it was my first ever illustrator project, but I'm not embarrased to show it.
2006-06-28, 7:30 AM #91
The tree's kind of ugly, I think it would look better without it, and maybe tighten up the S's. Maybe make the leaves bigger, more visible and fewer in numbers.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-06-28, 8:24 AM #92
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]I hate font inclusions. Mostly because 90% of the time they just don't work. Period.

If you want me to use your stupid font, then zip it up with the freakin PSD or whatever, and send it to me![/QUOTE]

Well in terms of PSD, you're better off sending a flattened TIF image. If you are sending your file to print, then obviously its your final version. Flatten it. There is no excuses to send a layered document. Especially with fonts. That is just asking for trouble.

There is nothing safer than a finalized, flattened tif document for photoshop, or an embedded ai files with vectorized fonts (text>create outline) for illustrator.

You can also look into .esp documents, but it is a more complicated file format and will end up weighting much more than your tif/ai.

Or in either case a final PDF with vectorized fonts and embedded images. (Using Acrobat Distiller of course) Most current rips can process pdf. For my arizona and hp5000, I'm just stuck using an ancient version of postershop because my bosses wont dish out for a new version.

Then again, the arizona would most likely not be compatible with most (of not all) current rips.
2006-06-28, 8:50 AM #93
Okay now yer all making me curius.

Whats a vector?
2006-06-28, 8:53 AM #94
Its a form of digital art that scales perfectly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_graphics
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-06-28, 8:57 AM #95
I see. Hey look! i learned something from a Sf_Gold thread!

WOW!
2006-06-28, 8:58 AM #96
:rolleyes:
2006-06-28, 9:02 AM #97
I think the emoticon you're looking for, Jep, is :psyduck:

imsoshort is a :psyduck: -magnet.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-06-28, 9:23 AM #98
No. :rolleyes: is perfect. Because his act is getting pretty pathetic.
2006-06-28, 9:37 AM #99
I ****ing love this smiley :v:
2006-06-28, 1:33 PM #100
Look, these dudes came in to my room, told me to use a cool font, one they selected, that would appear infront of a wireframish lightbulb on a purple background. As I was doing it, I accidently clicked a feather effect button, and then they got the idea for that "ripple" thing around the text. I told them it was ugly, but they said thats all they wanted for their MSN Messenger. I asked 5 dollars (should have asked for 10) and that was that.

EDIT: Why are we speaking about printers and such? I'm doing logos for websites or videos (animated of course).
2006-06-28, 1:33 PM #101
POST NUMBER ONE HUNDRED IN THIS THREAD. Oh, hi. Move on.
Last edited by mb; today at 10:55 AM.
2006-06-28, 1:42 PM #102
Can you make us an animated logo for Massassi?

:ninja:
2006-06-28, 1:43 PM #103
I'll make it for free, since I just got 15 bucks on a simple job, and I'll be able to pay a few things off. Phew. So, how does the forum want it? Please, abstain from OVER posting.
2006-06-28, 1:45 PM #104
I'll make it for free, since I just got 15 bucks on a simple job, and I'll be able to pay a few things off. Phew. So, how does the forum want it? Please, abstain from OVER posting.

We want ninjas cutting off the i in imsoshort's name and flashing enough to give a small kitten a siezure.

Also, make mb cutting off the head of a pirate. We don't allow piracy on these forums :ninja:
2006-06-28, 1:54 PM #105
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
Gold, you could sell chicklets..

I don't think anyone else caught it, but I laughed out loud.
2006-06-28, 1:55 PM #106
Ok, do you have a concept on the ninjas (THAT YOU DREW), of mb, and a concept of what the final product should look like? If not, I suggest you start working.
2006-06-28, 1:55 PM #107
Is it just me, or does that thing look like a giant dildo? No offence, but you might uh...want to edit that.

SFs on, not CMs.
2006-06-28, 1:56 PM #108
Originally posted by Aglar:
I don't think anyone else caught it, but I laughed out loud.

I did not answer that, because I have sold chewing gum in the past.
2006-06-28, 1:59 PM #109
Ok, do you have a concept on the ninjas (THAT YOU DREW), of mb, and a concept of what the final product should look like? If not, I suggest you start working.

Uh..you said you'd make the logo. :P
2006-06-28, 2:00 PM #110
Originally posted by Anovis:
Uh..you said you'd make the logo. :P

RIGHT. Concept art. I rarely work with out some concept art. That 5 buck job had no concept art, and thus, is crap. I'm afraid that this specific project demands concept art.
2006-06-28, 2:05 PM #111
RIGHT. Concept art. I rarely work with out some concept art. That 5 buck job had no concept art, and thus, is crap. I'm afraid that this specific project demands concept art.

You tell a client "give me some concept art" and he'll laugh you out of the building.

And just because you are making a logo for a website, or a video, does NOT mean you are excused from making vectors! If that person ever wants to use his logo for something else, he has to have it remade into a vector so it can be scaled properly. Very, very few people are going to take you seriously if you don't do so.

Oh, and Jepman, I don't do the printing :p But yes, if I WERE receiving something to be printed, a flat ready-to-go image would be best. But seeing as I am the graphics designer, not the printer, I'd want files given to me in their original format, such as PSD.
2006-06-28, 2:09 PM #112
I don't make logos to be printed out. I don't live in the U.S. where the need for that is "dire". I'm not a pro, I 'm just trying to make a living. Second off, this guy wants me to make ninjas cutting up a word. If I followed my instinct, they would be mini anime ninjas, but that might make him angry, and there goes work down the drain. I have no idea what MB looks like, or how to represent him. You can't tell some one to walk in the dark if they don't know their way.
2006-06-28, 2:12 PM #113
I was sent some logos for a company to do some stuff, and they sent vector (ai and cdr), bitmaps (gifs and jpg), and eps. There are color (2 colors) and b&w in all formats.

Nya nya.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-06-28, 2:13 PM #114
somebody just wire him $30 so he can find a new endeavor to woo us with :v:
2006-06-28, 2:14 PM #115
Gold, thats why you ask questions. Ask the client what they want and dont want, what they like and dont like.

and when the hell did I become part of this logo
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-06-28, 2:16 PM #116
I don't make logos to be printed out. I don't live in the U.S. where the need for that is "dire". I'm not a pro, I 'm just trying to make a living. Second off, this guy wants me to make ninjas cutting up a word. If I followed my instinct, they would be mini anime ninjas, but that might make him angry, and there goes work down the drain. I have no idea what MB looks like, or how to represent him. You can't tell some one to walk in the dark if they don't know their way.

Sure you can! Get a blindfold and try it sometime.

Mini anime ninjas sound great. I won't be angry because I gave you a vague description of what I want.

To make logo's you have to be creative with a few guidelines. I gave you the few guidelines, just be creative. >.>

mb looks like this: :psyduck:

Be sure to make it flash enough to cause minor seizures in kittens.
2006-06-28, 2:17 PM #117

Which is why you ask the clients questions. But saying "I want concept art" is like saying "I want you to do half the work".
2006-06-28, 2:18 PM #118
Guess which one's MB. Courtesy of John Petersen, BTW.
Attachment: 12688/john2.jpg (65,184 bytes)
幻術
2006-06-28, 2:24 PM #119
Originally posted by Emon:
The tree's kind of ugly, I think it would look better without it, and maybe tighten up the S's. Maybe make the leaves bigger, more visible and fewer in numbers.

The tree is too big, also. It becomes the focue rather than that name.
Pissed Off?
2006-06-28, 2:24 PM #120
Originally posted by Koobie:
Guess which one's MB. Courtesy of John Petersen, BTW.

If we replace the car with the Massassi logo and change the old lady into imsoshort, then we'll have it.

We also have to make it flash many different colors to give seizures to small kittens.

↑ Up to the top!