Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So does anybody know what this is?
So does anybody know what this is?
2006-06-29, 6:26 PM #1
http://www.eon8.com/

It could be a hoax of somekind, or some kind of doomsday prediction? I was hoping maybe you guys could come up with an idea of some kind?

I'm stumped, personally.

EDIT: A YTMND has been made about this: http://eon8theinvestigation.ytmnd.com/
2006-06-29, 6:32 PM #2
Neat.
2006-06-29, 6:38 PM #3
*shrug*
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-06-29, 6:41 PM #4
That's pretty creepy. I like it.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2006-06-29, 6:42 PM #5
It's not anything important, that much I'll guarantee. Anything from the government that would be of any import would probably be kept in a closed network, separated from the Internet (Internet2 comes to mind as a very good candidate--only unis and the military have access).
D E A T H
2006-06-29, 6:57 PM #6
Yes! An ARG! Let's play, guys!
OK, how do we get into the project pages... I'm no brute forcer, but there's probably hints all over the place. Anyone found connected websites yet?
The countdown makes me wonder... It's highly likely this is in preperation for something official... and geeky. Any movies/games/comics coming out on this day... uh... woah, tomorrow.
Friday, 8-ish PST. I wonder what's going down. Page source is no help...
The deployment tracker seems to be centered on major population centers... I see mostly US and Europe... some in suspiciously central Africa, Congo-area, from the looks of it.
The deployment logs are far more interesting. We have random smatterings of grey text, interspersed with white text... the last (first?) entry, 15, is far shorter. Huh.
The project and login pages are pass-protected, so I'm no help there. I'd start looking at other files on the server, probably try to gain access through other means, though. FTP and so forth, assuming it's in-game. Either that or start a search for related websites.

-Above all, someone take it to the un-fiction forums (I forget the site right now). They'll figure it out. I'd do it, but I have to go right now. Stay alert and keep hope alive. Got the drill?
2006-06-29, 7:00 PM #7
If you look at the YTMND of it, it shows the restricted sites on it. IT shows a bunch of US government things, and to my great amusement, an anime site.

I think it might be [url]www.eon8.com/restricted[/url]
2006-06-29, 7:03 PM #8
Or not, I suppose
2006-06-29, 7:06 PM #9
Originally posted by Jarl:
Yes! An ARG! Let's play, guys!
OK, how do we get into the project pages... I'm no brute forcer, but there's probably hints all over the place. Anyone found connected websites yet?
The countdown makes me wonder... It's highly likely this is in preperation for something official... and geeky. Any movies/games/comics coming out on this day... uh... woah, tomorrow.
Friday, 8-ish PST. I wonder what's going down. Page source is no help...
The deployment tracker seems to be centered on major population centers... I see mostly US and Europe... some in suspiciously central Africa, Congo-area, from the looks of it.
The deployment logs are far more interesting. We have random smatterings of grey text, interspersed with white text... the last (first?) entry, 15, is far shorter. Huh.
The project and login pages are pass-protected, so I'm no help there. I'd start looking at other files on the server, probably try to gain access through other means, though. FTP and so forth, assuming it's in-game. Either that or start a search for related websites.

-Above all, someone take it to the un-fiction forums (I forget the site right now). They'll figure it out. I'd do it, but I have to go right now. Stay alert and keep hope alive. Got the drill?

Alright first of all the thing ends on july 1st, and some people have already cracked part of the code, saying that it's about something that happend on July 1st. So, here is a list of things that happend on the first, barring my birthday.
You'll also notice the deployment map is centered on Asia/China, which i'll talk about later. I've already read and formed alot of this stuff on the Something Awful forums, which is why I can get it to you guys so quickly.

1863 - American Civil War: the Battle of Gettysburg begins.
1885 - United States terminates reciprocity and fishery agreement with Canada.
1921 - Communist Party of China was founded.
1942 - First Battle of El Alamein
1963 - ZIP Codes are introduced for United States mail.
1968 - The CIA's Phoenix Program is officially established.
1968 - The Nuclear non-proliferation treaty signed by about sixty countries in Geneva, Switzerland.
1968 - Formal separation of the United Auto Workers from the AFL-CIO.
1991 - The Warsaw Pact is officially dissolved at a meeting in Prague.
2000 - Vermont's civil unions law goes into effect.
2004 - Saturn Orbit Insertion of Cassini-Huygens begins at 01:12 UT and ends at 02:48 UT.

Now, the interesting thing is that the deployment map is centered on Asia/China, which usually indicates where the site/maker of stuff/other things is from.
Now there are two major events that happend in the region. One, is that China's communist party was formed, which explains itself. Now, the CIA's Phoenix Program was a program based on the neutralization of noncombatant Vietcong Cadres during the vietnam war.

What this has to do with an ARG, I have no clue. Why anyone would want to make an ARG about Chinas Communist party is an idea beyond me.
The Phoenix Program however, is something I could see.

I also searched for their "representive" X21B, and it turned up a skinning site that happend to be suspended, which was rather odd.

EDIT: It also turns out the their "project" X13600 is a learning gene of a fruit fly, which I found rather odd.

EDIT2: Why does this site scare me so?

http://eon5.com/
2006-06-29, 7:09 PM #10
If the YTMND is correct (doubtful though) then it's actually owned by a company in Dallas Texas
2006-06-29, 7:10 PM #11
Originally posted by UltimatePotato:
If the YTMND is correct (doubtful though) then it's actually owned by a company in Dallas Texas

Could be contracted through Dallas and hosted off-shores.

I dunno the whole thing confuses me.

:psyduck:

EDIT: Unfiction Forum thread dedicated on this: http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14673&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=165
2006-06-29, 7:14 PM #12
My brother was talking about fruit flies today for some reason.
2006-06-29, 7:15 PM #13
Originally posted by Anovis:
My brother was talking about fruit flies today for some reason.

OMG! Maybe he's like connected or something!
2006-06-29, 7:16 PM #14
Oh the joys of interweb!

The only thing that can stop it now is a Massassi style DOS attack! (Remember the "Lets see how many views we can get" threads?) :P
2006-06-29, 7:36 PM #15
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]It's not anything important, that much I'll guarantee. Anything from the government that would be of any import would probably be kept in a closed network, separated from the Internet (Internet2 comes to mind as a very good candidate--only unis and the military have access).[/QUOTE]

I should go back to school then cuz then id be safe on teh intarnet2!!!
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-06-29, 8:05 PM #16
I doubt this is a serious threat, but then again, who knows? It could be anything. We could sit here and kill braincells trying to decypher it, and then what happens at the end? A company pops out of nowhere and says "surprise! it was just a advertising scheme for our new product!" It could quite possibly be that, and judging from the 'exposed audiance' is (gamers, techies, etc) it could quite possibly be that, some kind of technology, and so what better way to advertise is to put a lot of mystery behind the product and post on random gaming forums (targeting the correct audience). The people would catch on, and use their suspicious minds to think up what it could be, and pass it on to help confirm.

In the end, its spread around, and then when the timer hits 0, they come out with this 'great new product,' and look, everyone that would use it has already been informed of it.
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2006-06-29, 8:09 PM #17
You people have too much time on your hands. Just another one of those sites that is influenced by the praetorian thing from the movie "The Net" that builds up interest from computer geeks, math geeks, puzzle geeks and people who are just damn right bored.

My guess is that it's either 1) some marketing ploy for some product a la pre-release halo 2 site (ilovebees) or 2) mock site a la hell.com, untitled.com. I'm leaning to the latter.
2006-06-29, 8:15 PM #18
For something so governmentish, their bandwidth sucks.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-06-29, 8:15 PM #19
We can only sit and watch.

:eek:
2006-06-29, 8:18 PM #20
maybe its like that commercial Ebay had for a while about "It"
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-06-29, 8:23 PM #21
http://www.eon8.com/security

Edit - > Find -> "massassi"

Sneaky sneaky.... It knows. OMG DOOMSDAY!
Think while it's still legal.
2006-06-29, 8:29 PM #22
Awww, and I'm leaving tomorrow to go to my uncle's. He doesn't have an internet connection.

I don't believe it's anything serious, but those seem to be some pretty cruel and harsh references, as shown in the YTMND.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-06-29, 9:09 PM #23
I vote it's for a game.

It's so stupidly not a government thing? Why in the great blue yonder would they do something like this? If it were meant to not be released to the public, I'm sure there are closed government networks that aren't accessable through the public internet..
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-06-29, 9:17 PM #24
Should be interesting to see what it really is. If it is indeed a viral marketing campaign, it's a rather boring one.
2006-06-29, 9:22 PM #25
It's not a government project, but it has attracted the attention of various government agencies. If it was anything major, they're not doing a very good job of use the tactic of "surprise." So I highly doubt it's any sort of uprising or terrorist nonsense.

As of right now, I think it's just an intentionally suspicious site desinged to record how people get to the site. Probably for some uni. statistic study.
"The solution is simple."
2006-06-29, 9:45 PM #26
Does anyone else think of MGS and all its cyber stuff in MGS2 when they hear/think about this? I do, just a thought.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-06-29, 10:34 PM #27
it's creepy. Especially the ytmnd site. =_=

I'm debating as to whether or not I should attempt to be online at the exact moment it reaches 0
一个大西瓜
2006-06-29, 11:11 PM #28
I bet it's Zombo.com 2.0
2006-06-29, 11:12 PM #29
July 1st is when Space Shuttle Discovery will be launched on STS-121.

Just a thought.
2006-06-29, 11:18 PM #30
I would assume it’s some sort of gimmick for some McDonald’s burger which will end the world with it’s highly anticipated approach to the world of fast food. Or maybe it’s a count down for when Golden eye will shoot nuke’s at the world!!!

My money is on the first one. I guess we’ll see in a day or something. I’ll actually probably forget about this, and dying in complete bliss is nice. It’s like being stood up for a date, but the girl tells you she’s going to go fight crime. But little do you actually know she’s just with some other guy. But you’re happy because you so blindly believed her crime fighting ruse, and now you’ll be playing your Xbox while she pushes you so far back into her mind that any thought of you comes out as strands of geeky hair. . . know what I mean?
My blawgh.
2006-06-29, 11:18 PM #31
Also on July 1st I have a dentist app- wait... nevermind :o
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2006-06-29, 11:38 PM #32
Phantom Serraph, you are a master of comedy. :D
2006-06-29, 11:48 PM #33
Such crap, ugh. moneyobie = best post so far :D
2006-06-30, 12:07 AM #34
Fine, have it your way, Burger king. Phantom Seraph = second best post. :P
2006-06-30, 12:07 AM #35
Actually, they have people working for the governement that check out websites to make sure they're content safe, as in, not a terrorist militia website. That would probobly be what all the government hits are from.
2006-06-30, 12:08 AM #36
Originally posted by Delphian:
Fine, have it your way, Burger king. Phantom Seraph = second best post. :P

Yay!
Maybe it's a count down for when I make #1 best post :D
My blawgh.
2006-06-30, 12:25 AM #37
Originally posted by saberopus:
Such crap, ugh. moneyobie = best post so far :D
I really hope it's true :OT
2006-06-30, 12:45 AM #38
I watched the YTMND... I love those unfunny truth things. The song is so creepy.
Anyhoo...
I still say that, until the ftps are cracked, or at the very least until someone busts the passwords, we'll be in the dark. Or, when the clock hits 0. Either way, you know.

-I don't suppose anyone here... uh... y'know... knows a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy when it comes to getting into hard-to-reach places, do they? Perhaps the same kind of people who... I dunno... decompile the source code for a game illegally? Not that I'm implying or advocating anything, I'm just saying... you know... they might have a better chance of getting in.
2006-06-30, 1:02 AM #39
Has anyone seen this YTMND yet?

http://eon8timer.ytmnd.com/

BEST. YTMND. EVER.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-06-30, 1:14 AM #40
Wow. That is the best YTMND I've seen. It's twice as awesome because it has a Beverly Hills Cop reference. Nothing can beat two times awesome.

↑ Up to the top!