Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So does anybody know what this is?
So does anybody know what this is?
2006-06-30, 8:35 PM #81
Duke Nukem Forever.

-HAH! Sorry, couldn't keep a straight face.
2006-06-30, 8:37 PM #82
...and all of the minds pooled into cracking this thing, no one's been successful?

:confused:
"The solution is simple."
2006-06-30, 8:38 PM #83
Meh, you know what, I'll bet it's just the dawning of the Antichrist's reign over the world. Nothing too bad, he'll come and go. Just don't give him any attention.
2006-06-30, 8:39 PM #84
Why bother? In 21 minutes we're gonna know what it is.

-... Or will we?
2006-06-30, 8:40 PM #85
Nah this time its made by Valve and Linkin Park.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2006-06-30, 8:41 PM #86
19 minutes. Seriously.

-God, I shuoldn't be this excited over what's probably nothing.
2006-06-30, 8:41 PM #87
Dammit. I can't on the website anymore. "This document contains no data."
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-06-30, 8:43 PM #88
What perturbes me is that when it gets to zero, it reloads. That means that when it gets to zero, it's gonna be refreshed six trillion times simultaneously.

-Awesome.
2006-06-30, 8:44 PM #89
I'm guessing tons of people are going on this website, waiting for zero.
2006-06-30, 8:46 PM #90
wait, why does mine still say 28:00 when yours are at 19 minutes?
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-06-30, 8:46 PM #91
Originally posted by Echoman:
I'm guessing tons of people are going on this website, waiting for zero.

The creators probably intended it to do that --^
一个大西瓜
2006-06-30, 8:47 PM #92
Damn it to hell. My connection is keep timing out.
2006-06-30, 8:47 PM #93
Alright kiddos, best way to update your system clock is to set it with time.gov. It should be tonight at midnight (est) that jedi knight 3 will be unveiled. 13 minutes left :(
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2006-06-30, 8:47 PM #94
Mine is at 11 minutes

[edit: I did the dumbest thing and refreshed it as soon as I saw echoman's post about timing out .. and now mine is timing out too]
一个大西瓜
2006-06-30, 8:49 PM #95
11 mins 5 seconds

-10 mins
2006-06-30, 8:50 PM #96
so it's not even running synchronized from the server that's broadcasting it?
2006-06-30, 8:50 PM #97
bah, refreshed it to fix the time, and now I can't get to it. :(
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-06-30, 8:55 PM #98
I'm guessing when it hits 0, everyone will time out when the site tries to get a page from the server...thus creating the BIGGEST UNIVERSAL TIMING OUT
2006-06-30, 8:59 PM #99
I still can't load the page. :gbk:
2006-06-30, 8:59 PM #100
1 minute coming up!
一个大西瓜
2006-06-30, 8:59 PM #101
35 seconds!
2006-06-30, 8:59 PM #102
I can't even get on the damned site.
D E A T H
2006-06-30, 8:59 PM #103
Yay :psyduck:
2006-06-30, 9:00 PM #104
Ok, its midnight, what happened?
2006-06-30, 9:00 PM #105
Crap, I forgot to do the Dogma joke.

-Let's say there's only, like, five minutes left till the end of the world. Like a bomb's gonna go off or something. Would you **** us then?
2006-06-30, 9:01 PM #106
You people have no idea how much skill it takes to bank urine into the toilet from BELOW the bowl. It's a skill few other ninjas can accomplish. Minjas, even fewer. I am truly hard core. Why don't you people realize that?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-06-30, 9:01 PM #107
Hahahah, well it did time out .. still waiting to see where it was supposed to redirect to
一个大西瓜
2006-06-30, 9:02 PM #108
What a crock.
2006-06-30, 9:02 PM #109
Man, I hate the rest of the world clogging up the damn website.

-Well, we'll see the content in... like, a month or two.
2006-06-30, 9:02 PM #110
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]I can't even get on the damned site.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing right about now it'd get a lot of traffic. I can't get on either.
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2006-06-30, 9:05 PM #111
well, regardless, I don't hear any rockets engines or bombs exploding...I'm going to bed.
2006-06-30, 9:05 PM #112
Where's the damn mushroom clouds???
2006-06-30, 9:05 PM #113
I got through. All I can say is LAME.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-06-30, 9:05 PM #114
You people keep forgetting: I bank my urine. Not in a national bank or anything, I'm the real deal. I can bounce off like 3 surfaces without even dampening or speckling the surface before it makes it to the bowl.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-06-30, 9:07 PM #115
Kirby, next time, try to take off your pants.
2006-06-30, 9:07 PM #116
That's some serious skill man, but we're talking about ZE END OF ZE WORLD here!
2006-06-30, 9:08 PM #117
Just read this on B, dunno if it's real. sounds real:

{eon8} Complete
As of July 1st, 2006, the E8 Project has completed.
The purpose of this project was to determine the reactions of the internet public to lack of information.

History
The domain eon8.com was chosen, as it is short, easily remembered, and eon9 was already registered.
It was originally posted on [url]www.msfn.org[/url], but was promptly removed as 'spam'. It was enough time for it to be copied to other forums throughout December 2005.

Results
We were amazed to discover that the site was instantly linked with terrorism, simply for the fact that it seems mysterious. Evil was the number one first impression people had of the site, in spite of the fact that there are no threats on the site. The only thing Eon 8 says is "We don't want you here". Nothing else.
Other less disappointing opinions were social experimentation (which was correct), James Bond movie viral marketing, and promotions for video games.
For many people, being faced with a countdown timer was an instant reason to try to shut down or hack the site. This is a worrying reaction, that if someone doesn't understand something they must destroy it. As a result, the servers have been hit quite hard these last few days, but luckily 99% of the 'hackers' could easily be described as 'l4me n00bs'.
Another worrying example of paranoia was how quickly people would jump to conclusions, such as telephoning the registered owner of a dog seen in a photograph on a server that hosts a page that links to eon8.
Surprises
The folks at Unfiction.com were the most resourceful and inventive, they successfully managed to decrypt several of the 'codes' on the site, forcing them to be re-encrypted using more secure methods.

FAQ
What about eon5.com?
Nothing to do with us. Pure coincidence, but worked in our favor.

What about the 8th eon being the end of the world?
We picked Eon 8 because Eon 9 was already taken. We didn't know about the significance of this. Eon is a cool sounding word!

-hillarious.
2006-06-30, 9:09 PM #118
Well, the site's still up, there's just some serious DoS going on with all the traffic it's getting.

Once it actually loads, it'll just give a link to http://www.eon8.com/deployed21b.php

Which I haven't been able to get to yet... lol
2006-06-30, 9:11 PM #119
Full text, and pic. Still waiting for the mp3 "One final message" to load.

{eon8} Complete
As of July 1st, 2006, the E8 Project has completed.
The purpose of this project was to determine the reactions of the internet public to lack of information.
History
The domain eon8.com was chosen, as it is short, easily remembered, and eon9 was already registered.
It was originally posted on [url]www.msfn.org[/url], but was promptly removed as 'spam'. It was enough time for it to be copied to other forums throughout December 2005.
Results
We were amazed to discover that the site was instantly linked with terrorism, simply for the fact that it seems mysterious. Evil was the number one first impression people had of the site, in spite of the fact that there are no threats on the site. The only thing Eon 8 says is "We don't want you here". Nothing else.
Other less disappointing opinions were social experimentation (which was correct), James Bond movie viral marketing, and promotions for video games.
For many people, being faced with a countdown timer was an instant reason to try to shut down or hack the site. This is a worrying reaction, that if someone doesn't understand something they must destroy it. As a result, the servers have been hit quite hard these last few days, but luckily 99% of the 'hackers' could easily be described as 'l4me n00bs'.
Another worrying example of paranoia was how quickly people would jump to conclusions, such as telephoning the registered owner of a dog seen in a photograph on a server that hosts a page that links to eon8.
Surprises
The folks at Unfiction.com were the most resourceful and inventive, they successfully managed to decrypt several of the 'codes' on the site, forcing them to be re-encrypted using more secure methods.
FAQ
What about eon5.com?
Nothing to do with us. Pure coincidence, but worked in our favor.

What about the 8th eon being the end of the world?
We picked Eon 8 because Eon 9 was already taken. We didn't know about the significance of this. Eon is a cool sounding word!

Why July 1st?
We didn't know how long it would take to get the word out using our subtle promotion methods. We allowed over 6 months.

What do the codes on the site mean?
They're mostly randomly generated integers encrypted with md5, but with certain letters removed and replaced. The Logs page is simply based on the current timestamp, encrypted and modified. You can't decrypt them, they really are random numbers.

What is the Deployment Map?
They're dots placed over major cities and several random locations, it was done mostly from memory. The random gif filename is an added touch to force a slight delay on loading, which looks more impressive in Internet Explorer, but not as much in Firefox.

What's the password?
There isn't one. If you did somehow manage to get in, you'd see an empty folder with a single text file that says "This is a decoy folder. Please connect to the internal secure network".

Can I see your website statistics?
Yes, click here.

Are you anything to do with Scientology?
Did you see anything talking about a Free Personality Test or Xenu? Use your brain.

Who are you, really?
The most I can tell you is I am a 23 year old web designer from Florida named Mike. I can't narrow it down anymore than that. When I say 'we', I really mean 'me'.
Conclusions
People take things too seriously and panic over the most trivial things. But at the same time there are many people out there who think things through without jumping to conclusions. You can't let pointless speculation rule your lives and force you to live in fear.
In Closing
Thanks to everyone who kept things interesting, especially to the folks at unfiction. Sorry there is no ARG for you to play, but at least you had fun while it lasted.

Click here for one Final Message from Eon 8

BE HAPPY
THE END
Sincerely, x21b

Happy birthday, mtcaptain. From 'ls224' (aka x21b). Yes that really was me in the #eon-8 channel
Attachment: 12716/x21bnedm.gif (50,311 bytes)
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-06-30, 9:12 PM #120
One time I did 4 surfaces, including my own forehead. That was possibly the greatest thing ever. Sadly, the camera man died and the film exploded due to pure awesome. He was the only one present, and however tragic, the only casualty. I since haven't banked any, and a small development team is working on special protective gear and filming equipment to capture the awesome.

You should donate to my cause by PMing me for my paypal account. The proceeds will go towards the development of the technology.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ

↑ Up to the top!