Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → San Andreas
San Andreas
2006-07-25, 11:29 AM #41
I liked it a lot. I think the port to pc was done poorly.

I guess it kinda switched around some hard/easy things. For instance, sniping was impossible to do in a mission (when you couldn't miss) on console, but easy on pc.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2006-07-25, 11:35 AM #42
Mouse vs/ Analog Stick has a lot to do with that.
Pissed Off?
2006-07-25, 12:16 PM #43
[QUOTE=Bounty Hunter 4 hire]I liked it a lot. I think the port to pc was done poorly.

I guess it kinda switched around some hard/easy things. For instance, sniping was impossible to do in a mission (when you couldn't miss) on console, but easy on pc.[/QUOTE]
I don;t recall this mission. Whitch on it it?

Oh and mines the PS2 version. Flying is easy!
2006-07-25, 12:17 PM #44
You and Smoke are on a Sanchez, chasing a train. It's a pain, but once you learn the line it's really up to Smoke since he's the shooter.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-07-25, 12:20 PM #45
No i mean the sniper mission.

I don't remember any missions with snipers...?
2006-07-25, 12:22 PM #46
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
You and Smoke are on a Sanchez, chasing a train. It's a pain, but once you learn the line it's really up to Smoke since he's the shooter.

All you do is ride out away from the train some, and he ANNIHILATES them.

I did the mission before it even got to the tunnel.
2006-07-25, 1:02 PM #47
Yeah, the DDR missions are easy. Listen to the music. As long as your computer doesn't suck, it'll be on the beat with when you need to hit it.

My computer works fine, the problem lies with me. I have exceptionally bad coordination, so I hit the wrong key and do the wrong move (I get my directions mixed up, too... I sometimes go left when I want to go right, etc.) My response time is also bad, so I either gbo too fast or two slow.

I'm also stuck on the mission where you and ryder shoot the guys on the train. I know that you have to be in the right place angle-wise for ryder to hit them, but where do I have to be?
(It doesn't help that the motorcycle is only half as responsive when 2 people are on it, this also affected me in the Og Loc mission.)
2006-07-25, 1:05 PM #48
Getting your bike skill ups helps a bit. You have to stay away from the train or Smoke will shoot the side of the train. You can also try jumping onto the train at one point, but it's really hard to do.
Pissed Off?
2006-07-25, 1:13 PM #49
Or just put loads of cars on the track before the chase starts.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-07-25, 1:29 PM #50
I am still stuck on the Circle Airstrip. I just have a huge problem controlling the plane.
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2006-07-25, 1:31 PM #51
Originally posted by Detty:
Flying in simple, it's just that in the PC version, neither the manual or game itself actually tell you how to do it. San Andreas has one of the worst user manuals i've ever seen, they devoted so much time to making it into a silly tourist guide that they forgot to include the "how to play" part.

It's not just the PC version. The Xbox manual has the same problem. I loved the Helicopters in Vice City, and in San Andreas I virtually NEVER use them because they're so much harder to fly. Planes on the other hand, are more fun to fly now, with the exception of the Hydra. I know how to fly it, but if I stuck the game in right now and spawned one, it'd take me at least a minute to figure out how to swivel the damn engines around again so I could fly forwards.

And as far as completion....

That's why I have Action Replay. ;) I didn't play any of the missions. Just downloaded a 100% completed save. Sure I'm missing out on some of the fun... but for me, just driving around and rampaging is fun enough.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2006-07-25, 5:06 PM #52
Or just put loads of cars on the track before the chase starts.

San Andreas was worse at keeping track of extra vehicles than Vice City was.
$do || ! $do ; try
2006-07-25, 5:07 PM #53
So? The method works, it's what I did.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-07-25, 5:07 PM #54
Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
It's not just the PC version. The Xbox manual has the same problem. I loved the Helicopters in Vice City, and in San Andreas I virtually NEVER use them because they're so much harder to fly. Planes on the other hand, are more fun to fly now, with the exception of the Hydra. I know how to fly it, but if I stuck the game in right now and spawned one, it'd take me at least a minute to figure out how to swivel the damn engines around again so I could fly forwards.

I actually flew a Sea Sparrow through one of the valleys in the middle of the map, following the river. Finally got it stuck going under a bridge after I jumped out for an oyster :(
$do || ! $do ; try
2006-07-25, 5:08 PM #55
So? The method works, it's what I did.

I was never able to leave a car and come back to it in San Andreas. I could leave two cars in Vice City.
$do || ! $do ; try
2006-07-25, 5:50 PM #56
Maybe I should try spawning tanks and leaving those on the tracks? I remember that in GTA3, the game would ALWAYS rwemember the location of tanks, even when they weren't garaged. I'm not sure if that's also true in VC or SA, though.

I'm going to try the car trick.
2006-07-25, 5:56 PM #57
Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
I loved the Helicopters in Vice City, and in San Andreas I virtually NEVER use them because they're so much harder to fly.

Yeah, I know. I tried to spawn a helicopter to try it out, and i had trouble maneuvering it. In VC, they finally got it right, but they messed it up for SA. I haven't tried the planes yet, but it couldn't possibly be worse than the dodo from GTA3. That thing was a rock with wings and a total joke of a vehicle. The seaplane in VC was alright, but it was hard to handle and you had to let it glide a little bit instead of constantly gunning it.
2006-07-25, 6:32 PM #58
The problem with the helos in SA is that they don't limt the tilt. You push the nose down and it keeps going down. In VC, it was limited at around 45 degrees.
Pissed Off?
2006-07-25, 7:03 PM #59
I can honestly say I haven't really had any trouble with driving/flying in SA, with the exception of getting perfects on the abandoned airfield missions (PC version by the way) and getting perfects on the boat missions. I can fly the plane ok, but I'm just too slow to get the gold medal (or whatever the highest achievment is). It's been a while since I've played. I completed te game to about 85%, then I reformatted and forgot to backup the save game. I kind of don't feel like going through it all again.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-07-25, 7:58 PM #60
It's too bad the 747 can't fit in your hangar in the desert. But then again, I've got the stunt plane, the P-43 (I think that's right, I know it's not the P-41), the lifter and the Apache that spawn there.
$do || ! $do ; try
2006-07-25, 8:06 PM #61
That thing is a tird to taxi out of the it's own damn hanger.
2006-07-25, 8:19 PM #62
It's too bad the 747 can't fit in your hangar in the desert. But then again, I've got the stunt plane, the P-43 (I think that's right, I know it's not the P-41), the lifter and the Apache that spawn there.

It's 727 im pretty sure.

or an A320 either way it only has 2 engines. To bad that huge *** cargo plane is non flyable. [The one that you blow up and parachute out of] its got the full 4 engines and im pretty sure its a C-5 Galaxy.
2006-07-25, 8:36 PM #63
A 727 has the engines on the tail end of the plane. Three of them.

I know, because I almost got run over by one.

I work at the airport.

It can't be from the A3x family, because it's WAY too narrow. I work with an A300 5 days a week. They're Really wide and stubby.

It's probably based on a 737.

[http://www.g-unleashed.com/files/16_vehicle_at-400.jpg]

[http://p.airliners.net/photos/photos/4/1/3/0103314.jpg]

I've personally never worked with a 737, but I've been around 727's ALOT. Thus how I almost got run over. (Wasn't my fault, at all. CAT logistics are a bunch of ********s.)
2006-07-25, 8:46 PM #64
Well then that just goes to show how much i don't care about civil planes.

Now Fighter planes....
2006-07-25, 8:48 PM #65
Holy ****. Is anyone else noticing a sudden boost in TE's maturity level?
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-07-25, 8:49 PM #66
Nah, I think somebody just hit up on a topic which he has some interested in, other than OMFG AWESOME TO THE MAX!!!ONEELEVEN!!1!
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-07-25, 8:53 PM #67
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
Well then that just goes to show how much i don't care about civil planes.

Now Fighter planes....

Actually it just goes to show you know nothing about anything.
2006-07-25, 9:03 PM #68
The one thing that I don't like about any of the post GTA3 games is how they limit your access to most of the map at first. (in GTA3, there was a somewhat plausable excuse-- both bridges were broken at some point) but in ensuing games there seems to be no reason other than the sake of gameplay to keep you from exploring. (In mean, a hurricane warning in Vice city for the first third of the game, even though several weeks might pass in game time? come on.... :rolleyes: As for the cops knowing when CJ leaves the Los Santos/Red county area... how could they possibly know that if he does it in some deserted location where there isn't anyone around?)

I want to be able to cruise the entire map if I wish and fully satisfy my explorer's curiousity before doing any missions if I so choose!
2006-07-25, 9:07 PM #69
Use the "No wanted level cheat"

Theres always a way!

Though yes i wish that to. I cheated for the first time threw those games. I just wanted to unlock everything.
2006-07-25, 9:15 PM #70
I think what Page meant was: I wish I could explore from the beginning with out any cheats.
2006-07-25, 11:51 PM #71
Originally posted by Uberslug:
I think what Page meant was: I wish I could explore from the beginning with out any cheats.

Yep.

In SA, all the important bridges between cities are blocked, so I have to jump into the water and swim across to get there.

However, the no wanted level cheat worked great, I can now explore to my liking. I like bone County the best.
2006-07-26, 6:58 AM #72
I managed to get a speed boat to explore as much as I could before it was open, although after a while dodging cops got annoying. Of course, once you can fly, cops don't mean anything :P
$do || ! $do ; try
2006-07-26, 7:06 AM #73
Yeah, but rockets sure are annoying.
2006-07-26, 8:20 AM #74
Just don't over the area 51 thing.
Pissed Off?
2006-07-26, 8:21 AM #75
I managed to get a speed boat to explore as much as I could before it was open, although after a while dodging cops got annoying. Of course, once you can fly, cops don't mean anything :P

However, with a 4-star wanted level (which is what you get if you leave Los Santos/Red County early in the game ) you get two helicopters trying to shoot you.
2006-07-26, 8:52 AM #76
Originally posted by Avenger:
Just don't over the area 51 thing.

You can be rocketed on any part of the map with a high enough wanted level.
2006-07-26, 10:13 AM #77
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
I don;t recall this mission. Whitch on it it?

Oh and mines the PS2 version. Flying is easy!

There was no specific mission, I just was using that as an example. On PS2, my friends never use the sniper rifle in a mission because you can't aim quick enough for it to be of any use, whereas on the pc, with the benefit of a mouse, the rifle becomes useful tactically.

The fact that the mouse can aim well also adds some difficulty to the game since the auto-aim isn't there, I think it made fights more cinematic, and things like stealth and cover more of an issue.

That's really just something exhibiting the different strengths of pc vs. console, some things that make it a bad port in my opinion:

- The camera system where you must continuously move the mouse to line up the camera (extremely annoying in a car). Particularly because certain vehicles (bikes i think) automatically lined up the sight, while the rest left it as is.

- The options left default like "steer with mouse" on the plane. It took a while to figure out why the flight system was so impossible. I guess it takes it as given that you are using a joystick or something, because you have to get the mouse back to the original center to stop turning (near impossible).

- Certain maneuvers like doing donuts in a car, are set up in such a way control-wise that they are never used out of shear difficulty.

Again though, I loved the game, and you get around the little things that don't really work on pc, especially since the pc adds it's own strenghts.
2006-07-26, 10:16 AM #78
Originally posted by Rob:
Yeah, but rockets sure are annoying.

I always felt awesome when I broke a Harrier's missle lock, though.
2006-07-26, 10:39 AM #79
I never once had to aim the camera with the mouse in a car... It always auto-aligned itself to follow the car... And your other 2 issues aren't really an issue if you're using a gamepad.
2006-07-26, 10:49 AM #80
Seriously.

↑ Up to the top!