Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Movie plot twists that do not make sense (inevitable spoilers)
Movie plot twists that do not make sense (inevitable spoilers)
2006-10-30, 10:55 PM #1
Post movie plot twists that do not make sense from a logical standpoint.

I'll go first.

Terminator 3 was replete with these. The most glaring example that I can think of at the moment was near the end of the movie when John Connor stated that Skynet had no central core but was rather a distributed software program in normal computers connected over the internet. The writers seemed to miss the fact that Nuclear weapons (which are used on Judgment day) are called weapons of mass destruction for a reason. In the typical scenario, when skynet launches the nukes and allows them to detonate over cities, the cities are going to be blasted to rubble, including the millions of computers that skynet itself is installed on. By initiating Judgment day, skynet would essentially be ensuring its own demise. Even if the AI were to survive, its own functionality would be greatly reduced due to losing most of the nodes on its network and would remain so since there would be no one left to fix it.

Post!
2006-10-30, 10:57 PM #2
The Matrix 3. WTF?

Also Signs. The aliens are vulnerable to water, so they invade a planet on which 70% of the surface is covered by water, and water vapor is almost constantly present in the atmosphere?
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-10-30, 11:00 PM #3
The end of Dick Tracy
"Oh look the partially cool and mysteries character is actually that ugly chick that you didn;t give a damn about! whoopie! And while were at it lets kill the antagonist NOT through anything cool like a gun fight but...Falling down a ****ing never ending hole as the proteganist ACCIDENTLY bumps into him! yay!"
2006-10-30, 11:03 PM #4
All of Highlander 2.

We're not immortals, we're aliens :psyduck:
Ramirez and Macleod didn't meet for the first time in Scotland, they met on another planet before the events of the first film.
Macleod loses 'the prize' the instant another inhabitant of the crazy planet comes to earth (ie he loses his psychic ability and his mortality).

It's such a mess, most people just choose to ignore its presence (actors and directors included).
2006-10-30, 11:06 PM #5
Oh and we cant forget
THAT SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDOR!
2006-10-30, 11:09 PM #6
[QUOTE=Michael MacFarlane]The Matrix 3. WTF?

Also Signs. The aliens are vulnerable to water, so they invade a planet on which 70% of the surface is covered by water, and water vapor is almost constantly present in the atmosphere?[/QUOTE]How do u know they werent vulnerable to fluoride
2006-10-30, 11:11 PM #7
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
Oh and we cant forget
THAT SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDOR!
tru dat
2006-10-30, 11:11 PM #8
As a matter of fact we do know that they were
2006-10-30, 11:16 PM #9
Village. The Freaking Village.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-10-30, 11:17 PM #10
Originally posted by saberopus:
As a matter of fact we do know that they were
howu know that?
2006-10-31, 6:30 AM #11
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
Post movie plot twists that do not make sense from a logical standpoint.

I'll go first.

Terminator 3 was replete with these. The most glaring example that I can think of at the moment was near the end of the movie when John Connor stated that Skynet had no central core but was rather a distributed software program in normal computers connected over the internet. The writers seemed to miss the fact that Nuclear weapons (which are used on Judgment day) are called weapons of mass destruction for a reason. In the typical scenario, when skynet launches the nukes and allows them to detonate over cities, the cities are going to be blasted to rubble, including the millions of computers that skynet itself is installed on. By initiating Judgment day, skynet would essentially be ensuring its own demise. Even if the AI were to survive, its own functionality would be greatly reduced due to losing most of the nodes on its network and would remain so since there would be no one left to fix it.

Post!

To me that just suggests that you don't know how distributed computing can work. For example, one method is that each node has exactly the same code and the distribution of tasks is done based on the number of nodes. Does SetiAtHome suddenly break the second a bunch of people disconnect? Of course not. The whole point of a distributed system is that it CAN cope with loss of nodes, and also the gain of new nodes without a noticable loss of productibity. I'm afraid there is no plot hole here, at least not for the reasons you think. There are more than enough computers outside of major cities for any functionality that Skynet would have required.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-10-31, 6:35 AM #12
Not really a bad twist, but:

The Usual Freaking Suspects

What the hell!
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-10-31, 6:39 AM #13
High Tension

What the hell was that all about? The woman is running/hiding from a killer and at the end we find out that she's the killer and she goes on a killing spree?
>>untie shoes
2006-10-31, 7:15 AM #14
Originally posted by fishstickz:
Village. The Freaking Village.

God yes... I've only ever seen the last half of that movie, and it was so completely retarded I wanted to shoot someone.

So I booted up UT2k4 when it was over and I did.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2006-10-31, 7:16 AM #15
Just wait a minute, guys. SAJN will be along shortly to tell you how wrong you all are about The Village and Signs and the other crapfests that he loves.
>>untie shoes
2006-10-31, 7:34 AM #16
Gothika. The woman murdered her husband and, despite the fact that he was a murderous son of a ***** himself, there was no real evidence linking her cold-blooded murder to his actions.

The Bone Collector. Where the Hell was the evidence that this guy was the murderer?!
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-10-31, 9:06 AM #17
Originally posted by Bill:
Just wait a minute, guys. SAJN will be along shortly to tell you how wrong you all are about The Village and Signs and the other crapfests that he loves.

I liked signs. :(

Every freaking M Night Shyamalan movie ever.
nope.
2006-10-31, 9:31 AM #18
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Every freaking M Night Shyamalan movie ever... rocks.

fixed.

Seriously though, except The Village. But Unbreakable and The Sixth Sense are totally awesome. Signs is pretty good.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-10-31, 9:41 AM #19
<3 Unbreakable
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-10-31, 10:49 AM #20
Originally posted by JediKirby:
<3 Unbreakable

Seconded.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2006-10-31, 10:58 AM #21
Originally posted by Detty:
To me that just suggests that you don't know how distributed computing can work. For example, one method is that each node has exactly the same code and the distribution of tasks is done based on the number of nodes. Does SetiAtHome suddenly break the second a bunch of people disconnect? Of course not. The whole point of a distributed system is that it CAN cope with loss of nodes, and also the gain of new nodes without a noticable loss of productibity. I'm afraid there is no plot hole here, at least not for the reasons you think. There are more than enough computers outside of major cities for any functionality that Skynet would have required.

you're forgetting the EMP burst released by said nukes that would destroy all the power stations and completely wipe out anything electronic.

the program would DIE.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-10-31, 11:01 AM #22
What if it was stored in some place that wasn't hit aswell? lets say that... a city was taken over by robots just for that purpose. For storage of the program. And then that city was not hit as all the humans in it were dead. It was shown that the bots have deadly death bots that could EASILY take over a city.

2c
2006-10-31, 11:06 AM #23
Originally posted by Ford:
you're forgetting the EMP burst released by said nukes that would destroy all the power stations and completely wipe out anything electronic.

the program would DIE.

If it's loaded onto personal home computers, Skynet could, in theory, survive, especially since I don't recall the military base that Skynet started from being destroyed (thus leaving it with an in-tact and functional small army).

To address the problems of power outage: Minnesota could be infected, but it's not a likely nuclear target.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-10-31, 11:49 AM #24
The core is also one of those "let us never speak of it again' movies in terms of scientific accuracy. I know it's sci-fi, but there's still no excuse for just throwing all plausible scientific believability out the window.

Where do I begin...

1. The writers clearly had no idea how nuclear weapons operate. When the nukes they had on board were insufficient for the job, one of the characters had the idea of using the plutonium power core from the ship to increase the payload. However, just propping 7 KG worth of plutonium next to a nuclear warhead will do nothing except vaporize the extra fissile material when the nuke goes off. For it to have done any good the material would have had to have been part of the original bomb in the first place.

2. Unobtanium. It's a little too convenient that this stuff converts raw heat into just the right amount of energy that is able to be used just by jury-rigging stuff that is already onboard the ship. (not to mention that this violates the second law of thermodynamics) It would have made a lot more sense to have a backup reactor or some sort of auxiliary power, or to never swap out the primary power core in the first place.

Also, it's an amazing insulator even though it absorbs heat, since the remaining crew are merely sweating in a ship without cooling systems or power despite the fact that the temperature outside the hull is at least 9000 degrees.

Since unobtanium converts heat to energy, then where is all that energy being stored when it is not being used? Since the reactor is powering the ship for most of the trip, then all the energy derived from heat juring the trip down must be building up in the hull which can't be a good thing.

3. The ship and mission control seem to have near-instantaneous communication, but how is this done? Electromagnetic communication would not work when separated by several miles of rock. (in the same way that even a car radio is rendered practically useless in a parking structure or long tunnel)

4. The bombs used on the ship have a 200 megaton yield and were about 6 feet long and could be moved by 2 people, reasonably portable for a nuke. Interesting that the most powerful nuke ever built [/url] was about 8 meters long and weighed about 20 tons. I guess technology is getting smaller and smaller all the time, or the writers just aren't even trying anymore.
2006-10-31, 11:58 AM #25
Originally posted by Wolfy:
If it's loaded onto personal home computers, Skynet could, in theory, survive, especially since I don't recall the military base that Skynet started from being destroyed (thus leaving it with an in-tact and functional small army).

To address the problems of power outage: Minnesota could be infected, but it's not a likely nuclear target.

But how is skynet going to build anything if most of the infrastructure is destroyed and most of the people are dead? (many survivors in the cities would likely be too sick to work from radiation-related diseases, and people out in the country would be able to avoid skynet entirely for a time)

Remember Skynet would still need surviving people at this stage to build factories to create HK tanks and the early-generation terminator battle units.

prolific nuclear weapon usage on judgment day opens a can of worms. It would have been more logical for Skynet to use chemical or biological weapons and only a few nukes.
2006-10-31, 12:02 PM #26
We ignore Terminator three.

It sucked. It doesn't deserve to be a part of the movie series. They should make a new Terminator three that doesn't suck.
2006-10-31, 12:15 PM #27
Rob: Yeah, most terminator fans (including myself) feel the same way, but the movie is still technically canon.

Also, if John Connor lives off off the grid, then how is it possible for him to have vehicle registration on that motorcycle that he was riding at the beginning? (unless he stole it)

Also, he would have been carded when he bought that bottle of Budweiser that he was drinking on the bridge. NO ID = NO beer. I guess the product placement guys didn't think about that.

When Connor was wounded, why did he break into an animal clinic instead of a human clinic? Dumb.

On the same line, why is a great military leader of the future with all sorts of weapons training using a paint ball gun as his only weapon? Pacifistic idiot.

The T-X also needed a logic adjustment. The T-1000 was the ultimate in terminator technology-- it was nearly indestructible and could turn into almost anything. Having a similar model with an endoskeleton seems like a step backwards because the shapeshifting versatility and uber-durability is sacrificed just so the unit can have a few flashy weapons. Also, the T-1000 wisely chose to appear as a police officer most of the time so it could do things without arousing suspicion. On the other hand, the T-X shoots people in crowded places and drives like a maniac, attracting much unwanted attention, and it's supposed to be smarter than the T-1000.

On that line, the ability of the TX to control the cars like it did is just impossible. Modern-era cars still accelerate and steer mechanically, so infecting the circuit board would not accomplish the same goal. also, Even if a car could be controlled that way, the steering wheel would not turn by itself and the accelerator/brake would not depress by itself when there was no one there because those things are mechanically incapable of doing so.
2006-10-31, 12:22 PM #28
Not only that really.

The TX is impossibly stupid.
2006-10-31, 1:06 PM #29
i agree with the breaks and steering, but if the car had cruise control, it's reasonable that it she could make it accelerate.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-10-31, 1:41 PM #30
Steering is possible too. See: the new self-parking Lexus car.
2006-10-31, 2:10 PM #31
A Wind Named Amnesia

Good movie. The people of earth had all lost their memory of language, culture, society, etc.
Only one guy has memory, and he travels across the US to reach New York and see if anyone else is like he is. He picks up a hot woman and travels with her for half the journey.

Then in the last scene the woman reveals that she is an alien that stole everyones memory. So they have sex... and then when the guy asks if the humans can have their memory back she just says "Maybe" and floats into the sky.
The end.
2006-10-31, 2:15 PM #32
Back to the Future.

Speedometer of a DeLorean pegs at 85mph.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-10-31, 2:24 PM #33
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
Also, if John Connor lives off off the grid, then how is it possible for him to have vehicle registration on that motorcycle that he was riding at the beginning? (unless he stole it)

Stole it, no doubt.
Quote:
Also, he would have been carded when he bought that bottle of Budweiser that he was drinking on the bridge. NO ID = NO beer. I guess the product placement guys didn't think about that.

Fake ID.

Quote:
When Connor was wounded, why did he break into an animal clinic instead of a human clinic? Dumb.

At a human clinic, if meds go missing people wig out. At an animal clinic, if meds go missing, oh well. Shoulda locked up tighter. Human clinics have all these crazy locks and stuff, vets not so much.

Quote:
On the same line, why is a great military leader of the future with all sorts of weapons training using a paint ball gun as his only weapon? Pacifistic idiot.

Like you said, pacifist. I actually don't remember the paintball gun, but it makes sense.

Quote:
The T-X also needed a logic adjustment. The T-1000 was the ultimate in terminator technology-- it was nearly indestructible and could turn into almost anything. Having a similar model with an endoskeleton seems like a step backwards because the shapeshifting versatility and uber-durability is sacrificed just so the unit can have a few flashy weapons.

The nanomachines ("liquid metal") can't take high temperatures. The endoskeleton can. Note how, when dropped into the molten lead, the T-1000 thrashed around and evaporated quite quickly. Compare to the T-800, who just slid in, gave the thumbs up, and sat there for a while before his already stressed and compromised chassis gave in. The T-X is superior in that manner, it can survive things like liquid nitrogen and molten lead, but at the same time can alter its own appearance.
But they shoulda had the T-900 instead.

Quote:
Also, the T-1000 wisely chose to appear as a police officer most of the time so it could do things without arousing suspicion. On the other hand, the T-X shoots people in crowded places and drives like a maniac, attracting much unwanted attention, and it's supposed to be smarter than the T-1000.

Yeah that sucked. Course, with its superior tracking technology, it didn't have to hunt down contacts of its victims and ask where the victim was, it could just find the victims and kill them. Sorta like the T-800 in that manner.

Quote:
On that line, the ability of the TX to control the cars like it did is just impossible. Modern-era cars still accelerate and steer mechanically, so infecting the circuit board would not accomplish the same goal. also, Even if a car could be controlled that way, the steering wheel would not turn by itself and the accelerator/brake would not depress by itself when there was no one there because those things are mechanically incapable of doing so.

As stated, it could use cruise control. Steering was borderline, though, and the stuff you pointed out about the steering wheel and such is absolutely true.

-tl/dr, T3 sucked.
2006-10-31, 2:27 PM #34
Cruise Control doesn't use software.

How is a VIRUS going to affect hardware?
2006-10-31, 2:28 PM #35
Originally posted by Jarl:
Fake ID.

do you really need ID to buy beer? I've not been ID'd in years. :psyduck:
2006-10-31, 2:30 PM #36
Originally posted by Rob:
Cruise Control doesn't use software.

How is a VIRUS going to affect hardware?

Dunno.

Quote:
do you really need ID to buy beer? I've not been ID'd in years.

Uh... yeah. You really really do. If you look under 30, they're supposed to card you.

-T3 sucked. Which is odd because T2 and T1 are two of the best action movies ever.
2006-10-31, 2:32 PM #37
Originally posted by Jarl:
Dunno.

Uh... yeah. You really really do. If you look under 30, they're supposed to card you.

Fair enough - over here they card you if you look under 21 (age of beer being 18)
2006-10-31, 2:40 PM #38
How didn't The Village make sense?

They were a group of people who created a secret community because they couldn't stand to live in society because of all the horrible things that happened to them during their lives. The few 'elders' that created the community act as if the community is real and they are able to use the fake monsters to convince all the people living in the community that they can't leave. This gives them a way to protect their way of living which will keep their families safe. What doesn't make sense?
Think while it's still legal.
2006-10-31, 2:54 PM #39
...yes, inventing monsters to scare people into staying in a back-woods community makes perfect sense.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-10-31, 3:02 PM #40
The end of American Psycho. Was it all a dream or what? Just watched it a few days ago and it does NOT lead up to all the hype. Its just softcore porn scenes intermixed with bloody murder, mixed with weirdness.
The tips at the end of shoelaces are called "aglets". Their true purpose is sinister.

↑ Up to the top!