Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Borat
Borat
2006-11-05, 6:32 PM #41
It's hi-la-ri-ous. I can't describe the genius of his humour. He brilliantly shows the ugliness of people, their racist and homophobic attitudes. All his characters do that, but in different ways. Ali G and Bruno are very good at making people say outrageous things by confusing them.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-11-05, 7:20 PM #42
Well, it's official. Borat was the number 1 box office hit this weekend, surpassing all the other movies showing, even though Borat was in less than 1/4 of the theaters in America.

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20061106/D8L79I2G0.html
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2006-11-05, 7:43 PM #43
Originally posted by petmc20:
Well, it's official. Borat was the number 1 box office hit this weekend, surpassing all the other movies showing, even though Borat was in less than 1/4 of the theaters in America.

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20061106/D8L79I2G0.html

Not to be an ***, but that really doesn't mean jack. ANY movie can be number 1 opening weekend. It'll mean something when it's still number one two weeks from now.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2006-11-05, 7:55 PM #44
The movie made around $8.925 million on just 800 screens opening night. Santa Clause 3 made $5.4 million and it played on 3,458 screens. That's amazing. So in this case, being #1 really does mean a lot.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-11-05, 7:57 PM #45
Not really. No one wants to see Santa Clause, hell it's not even December yet.

compare it to...oh say Star Wars Episode III, or The Da Vinci Code. Then I will consider it important.
2006-11-05, 8:00 PM #46
You can't compare it to The Da Vinci Code or Star Wars. Those were giant movies. Borat made more than a movie playing on almost 4 times as many screens as itself. That's awesome.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-11-05, 8:03 PM #47
Okay...how about Harry Potter?

Better yet...The Corpse Bride? >.>
2006-11-05, 8:15 PM #48
I still don't care. When it's pulling that same amount of revenue and holding that same spot 2 weeks from now, THEN maybe I will. Until then it doesn't mean hardly anything.

Seriously, you're talking Santa Clause 3 here... I never saw ONE commercial for that, and I saw TONS for Borat. And this is America, where the general populace LOVES mindnumbing movies (Jackass anyone?).

I'm not saying the numbers it pulled aren't GOOD, I'm just saying they don't mean anything to me, and hardly speak about how good the movie is.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2006-11-05, 9:05 PM #49
I've seen more commercials for Santa Claus 3 than I have for borat.
2006-11-06, 3:55 AM #50
It's really funny the amount of people in this thread who are asking the rest of us to prove it's worth their time, when in reality, if they'd just pay $7 to go see the movie, they'd be calling people with similar stances dumbasses for not giving the movie a chance and just watching it. It is not only funny, it's a flat out sociological statement on the attitudes of Americans towards foreigners, homosexuals, and jews.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-11-06, 4:20 AM #51
Yeah, I have a feeling Phoenix hasn't even seen the movie. Trust me, it's worth your money and more.
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2006-11-06, 1:21 PM #52
You're right, I haven't. And where have I said ONE word bad about it? I've just said that none of you can sit there and claim it's "OMQ TEH BESTEST MOVAY EVAR!" just based on it's opening weekend pull. In two weeks or so if it's still pulling those numbers, yeah, maybe. But not now.

I've also said that I saw a Borat special or whatever on Comedy Central not but what... three days ago? I sat through 80% of it. Yeah. I get what he's doing. Yeah. The idea is wonderful. Yeah. He was funny, but only for about 15 minutes. After that I stopped laughing, and the only thing that really prompted a smile was his commentary.

I get what he's doing, and I think it's a great idea. I just don't think his presentation is worth seven bucks and an hour and a half of my time based upon what I've seen and heard thus far. If it was on TV, hell, I'd watch it. But it's not entertainment I'd pay for.
Last Stand
2006-11-06, 2:33 PM #53
Then you suck at life.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2006-11-06, 2:40 PM #54
The church scene was awesome.
2006-11-06, 3:10 PM #55
Yeah, the Church scene was sweet, and I am not basing my opinion on the fact Borat made the most money this weekend, but by the fact that I have never laughed harder or even cried from laughter at any other movie which is why I think this movie is so great.
2006-11-06, 3:23 PM #56
Actually it's like the second highest grossing movie per theater ever.

It averaged 31k per theater this weekend. Only other movie that's done that is Pirates of the Carribean 2.
>>untie shoes
2006-11-06, 5:12 PM #57
I just saw it. I thought it was 'meh.' It had its funny moments, but overall I found it unhumorous. What I thought was funny was these two really old ladies---they must have been in their eighties---got up and walked out of the theater right after the sick naked scene . They never came back.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-11-06, 10:19 PM #58
I'm with phoenix. If I get the opportunity to see it for free, then I'll take it out of curiosity's sake. Otherwise, meh.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2006-11-07, 12:24 PM #59
Originally posted by Freelancer:
I just saw it. I thought it was 'meh.' It had its funny moments, but overall I found it unhumorous. What I thought was funny was these two really old ladies---they must have been in their eighties---got up and walked out of the theater right after the sick naked scene . They never came back.

Exact same thing happened to me when I saw Clerks 2.

That was almost funnier than the movie..
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-11-07, 8:47 PM #60
Bought the soundtrack today

I'm very happy with it :D
2006-11-08, 12:09 AM #61
Originally posted by happydud:
Exact same thing happened to me when I saw Clerks 2.

That was almost funnier than the movie..

That happened to me in Team Force America.

Poor old dears probably thought it was a tribute to Thunderbirds
2006-11-08, 8:01 AM #62
Originally posted by Deadman:
That happened to me in Team Force America.

Poor old dears probably thought it was a tribute to Thunderbirds

I'm sure you mean Team America: World Police >_>
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-11-09, 1:09 AM #63
That is indeed what I meant.
2006-11-09, 9:13 PM #64
I saw it tonight. It had it's moments, but I wouldn't say it was the funniest movie I've ever seen (which is what virtually everyone who has seen it seems to be saying). I guess it was just over-hyped.

I laughed way harder during Snakes on a Plane (I know, different kind of humor).
2006-11-10, 11:35 PM #65
I just saw this and laughed my *** off:

(don't click if you haven't seen the movie)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061110/ap_on_en_mo/film_borat_lawsuit
2006-11-10, 11:47 PM #66
Borat has, by word of mouth, become amazingly popular overnight. Stop trying to steal its glory Ian--just because of some stupid bias you have on it.

Also--Most hilarious movie of the year, hands down. ****ing brilliant as well.
D E A T H
2006-11-11, 12:12 AM #67
who the **** is Ian?
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2006-11-11, 12:17 AM #68
hahaha exactly what i was thinking.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-11-11, 6:52 AM #69
Phoenix.
D E A T H
2006-11-11, 12:17 PM #70
I saw it last night. It was significantly hilarious, though some parts were just gross for the sake of being gross, which to me is not funny. Still worth seeing; however, if you've seen a lot of Borat stuff and haven't found it funny, I'd wait for a cheap showing or a rental. I wouldn't call it the funniest movie ever, but was the funniest I've seen in awhile.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2006-11-11, 9:54 PM #71
Originally posted by petmc20:
Bought the soundtrack today

I'm very happy with it :D

Don't you mean: Stereophonic Musical Listenings That Have Been Origin in Moving Film.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2006-11-12, 5:45 AM #72
Yeah, hehe.

The quality was in full sexytime
2006-11-12, 3:34 PM #73
Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
Not to be an ***, but that really doesn't mean jack. ANY movie can be number 1 opening weekend. It'll mean something when it's still number one two weeks from now.

Hehe, just pulled in another 29 Million at U.S. box offices. Not to be an *** but I think your opinion just got owned
2006-11-12, 11:28 PM #74
Owned? No.. He said it'll mean something when it's still number one two weeks from now, and it is and it does
2006-11-13, 12:26 AM #75
Originally posted by drizzt2k2:
who the **** is Ian?

Yeah, can we stop referencing people on a first name basis? With the possible exception of.. say.. Brian, Juztin, and Michael McFarlane, I don't know most people's first names, and I'm reasonably sure most other massassians are the same.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-11-13, 6:27 AM #76
Yeah, can we stop referencing people on a first name basis? With the possible exception of.. say.. Brian, Juztin, and Michael McFarlane, I don't know most people's first names, and I'm reasonably sure most other massassians are the same.

Hint: I'm not doing it for your peace of mind.
D E A T H
2006-11-13, 6:56 AM #77
A couple of my friends walked out of it.

I haven't seen it, and because I don't like Borat too much, I probably won't.
2006-11-13, 7:25 AM #78

Actually Michael McFarlane isnt his real name :ninja:

Plus, it makes you cool to reference someones real first name, remember?
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-11-13, 7:39 AM #79
shut up Wilfred
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-11-13, 7:57 AM #80
Originally posted by Axis:
A couple of my friends walked out of it.

"... but why?"

↑ Up to the top!