Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What do you look for in a partner? (theory in looks)
What do you look for in a partner? (theory in looks)
2004-07-05, 12:24 PM #81
What Darko and Jaiph said.

------------------
Massassi: We don't debate. We *****.

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited July 05, 2004).]
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-07-05, 12:25 PM #82
Actually I would argue that attraction to looks is purely society driven, since in different cultures throughout the world and throughout time have found all sorts of completely different things about people to be attractive.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-07-05, 12:27 PM #83
There's some variation in what is considered attractive in other cultures, but even that has limits. You won't find a society where everyone is gay or bisexual, and you won't find a society where people are attracted to monkeys.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-05, 12:28 PM #84
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darko:
Ok, so why aren't you dating one of your male friends?</font>
There's more to gender than what's between your legs.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Exactly how strong of a relationship do you think you'll have if every morning you turn over in bed, look at your significant other, and say "OH HOLY LORD, WHAT IS THAT THING?!"</font>
That's why I don't sleep with a mirror next to my bed. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">And Dogsrule, yeah, of course someone can grow on you and then you start finding them more attractive...hell, that's the best way, even if you already find someone really really attractive, they should become more attractive to you as you find out things you like about their character. When I say you have to find someone attractive, I don't mean that they have to be the most attractive person you've ever seen or you have to like everything about their appearance. Maybe you just like their eyes or their smile or whatever, but there has to be SOME level of attraction.</font>
In all other cases in my life (not counting anything before I was a teenager), physical attraction was the first thing to attract me. But now, with this one particular woman, that wasn't the initial attraction. What originally attracted me to her was her musical talent. Eventually, I learned more and more, and became more and more attracted to her. Now, I do see her as beautiful. This is precisely why I completely believe in the saying, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." It's also why I believe inner beauty radiates outward. I can't see any other reason why I find her beautiful now, when I did not before. She was just average looking, to me. But I suppose this is a more rare situation.

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-05, 12:32 PM #85
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...well, probably because you're not ATTRACTED to men; you're attracted to women. And whether you want to admit it or not, you have to be, at some level, physically attracted to a woman to have a successful relationship. Exactly how strong of a relationship do you think you'll have if every morning you turn over in bed, look at your significant other, and say "OH HOLY LORD, WHAT IS THAT THING?!" </font>

Uhh, wow. That was stupid. I never said I'd date the monster from the black lagoon, I just said I care alot less about looks then most men.

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-05, 12:35 PM #86
The point, Dog, is that you didn't want to make out with her the first time you saw her. You were interested in her in the begininning on a friendship level instead of a higher level and that is because she was not physically appealing at the time. As time went on, physical appearance was becoming less important because you knew more about the person.

Physical appearance is the first thing men are attracted to.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited July 05, 2004).]
2004-07-05, 12:45 PM #87
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:
Actually I would argue that attraction to looks is purely society driven, since in different cultures throughout the world and throughout time have found all sorts of completely different things about people to be attractive.</font>

I dunno, that's what I used to think before I saw a recent documentary series on human behaviour where they polled people from all around the world on how attractive they found certain faces and they almost all ranked them the same.

In one experiment even toddlers chose the more attractive faces as appealing. Go symmetry. It was a fascinating series....though I can't recall which one it was, my wife loves human behaviour docus so we watch pretty much every single one that comes on Discovery [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-07-05, 12:55 PM #88
The Golden Ratio.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-07-05, 12:57 PM #89
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
You won't find a society where everyone is gay or bisexual...
</font>

Sparta came pretty close...

------------------
Roach - Caught in the war of hemispheres.
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-07-05, 1:08 PM #90
Everyone is bisexual. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-07-05, 1:22 PM #91
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Septic Yogurt:
The Golden Ratio.

</font>

this man speaks the truth.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-07-05, 1:25 PM #92
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Master Tonberry:
Everyone is bisexual. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]</font>

Are you joking?

I'm as straight as they come.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-07-05, 1:37 PM #93
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
I'm as straight as they come.</font>

Interesting choice of words... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

[This message has been edited by Master Tonberry (edited July 05, 2004).]
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-07-05, 1:38 PM #94
denial.
Flickr Twitter
2004-07-05, 2:07 PM #95
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kieran Horn:
The point, Dog, is that you didn't want to make out with her the first time you saw her. You were interested in her in the begininning on a friendship level instead of a higher level and that is because she was not physically appealing at the time. As time went on, physical appearance was becoming less important because you knew more about the person.
</font>
Not quite. I find her more physically attractive now than before I knew much about her... which is strange.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Physical appearance is the first thing men are attracted to.</font>
With all other crushes & relationships I've had, this holds true. Like I keep saying, this woman is an exception (even to my own tendencies).
Quote:
I'm as straight as they come.</font>
Yes, we all know how much you love the ladies. You don't need to remind us. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited July 05, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-05, 2:26 PM #96
Quote:
I'm as straight as they come.
</font>

......uh oh....*hides love letter*

------------------
2004-07-05, 2:46 PM #97
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DogSRoOL:
Not quite. I find her more physically attractive now than before I knew much about her... which is strange.</font>

This is actually fairly normal. before you know someone you're basically judging them entirely on appearance (intentionally or not). You tend to notice if they differ from your "ideal" person. As you fall for who they are, all the minor flaws become things of beauty.
Flickr Twitter
2004-07-05, 2:49 PM #98
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kieran Horn:
......uh oh....*hides love letter*

</font>

shhhhh.... they weren't supposed to know yet. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-07-05, 3:12 PM #99
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ:
This is actually fairly normal. before you know someone you're basically judging them entirely on appearance (intentionally or not). You tend to notice if they differ from your "ideal" person. As you fall for who they are, all the minor flaws become things of beauty.</font>

Yup, all the tiny little 'flaws', quirks and eccentricities physically and emotionally because things you wouldn't trade the world for.

Quote:

shhhhh.... they weren't supposed to know yet. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
</font>

We've known for ages man, young love is hard to hide. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-07-05, 9:39 PM #100
Strawberry blonde and chocolate kiss, thigh high boots and all of this, boogie like a fiend until pure bliss.

Ya, my girlfriend is a natural strawberry blonde with green eyes. Her annoying laugh is endearing and her smile is killer. Not fat, not boney, almost just right (heh). She's my best friend and we... nevermind

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-07-06, 2:30 AM #101
Ideal looks for a woman: Readhead, pale, skinny facial features, sharp nose, strong upper lip, smallish breasts, height about the same as mine.
Me: medium-size, light brown hair, pale, phat cheeks, broad hip and shoulders, blubbery, longish and bigish nose, blue eyes with a hint of yellow (hence they look green sometimes)

------------------
People who get murdered are victims, people who get killed in war are casualties and people who don't get killed at all are just plain boring. -Said by me-

In my dream world people wear trenchcoats and piss on sanity's grave.
Yeah, you stay here and take life seriously. I'll go and have some fun.
2004-07-06, 8:11 AM #102
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Morpheus:
Readhead, pale, skinny facial features, sharp nose, strong upper lip, smallish breasts, height about the same as mine.
</font>

*cough* Mellisa Auf Der Mar *cough*

I think the general trend I believed in is a lot of poop. I guess it varies from person to person.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-07-06, 10:13 AM #103
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Morpheus:
Ideal looks for a woman: Readhead, pale, skinny facial features, sharp nose, strong upper lip, smallish breasts, height about the same as mine.</font>

It'sa me!

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"If all those usefull inventions that are lyable to abuse, should therefore be concealed, there is not any Art or Science, which might be lawfully profest."
-John Wilkins, Mercury, or the Secret and Swift messenger, shewing how a man may with privacy and speed Communicate his thoughts to a Friend at any distance (London, 1641)
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-07-07, 9:22 AM #104
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dormouse:
It'sa me!

</font>

Will you marry me? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
People who get murdered are victims, people who get killed in war are casualties and people who don't get killed at all are just plain boring. -Said by me-

In my dream world people wear trenchcoats and piss on sanity's grave.
Yeah, you stay here and take life seriously. I'll go and have some fun.
2004-07-07, 10:40 AM #105
I like a girl who doesn't try to become attractive, who isn't 'sexy' or 'hot', whose hair is any colour, as long as it's natural, whose skin is fair, and whose personality is introverted.

------------------
MadQuack has a signature.
I'm just a little boy.
2004-07-07, 11:18 AM #106
I like a girl with a short skirt and a loooooong jacket.

Actually, i utterly agree with everything Flirbnic says.

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"If all those usefull inventions that are lyable to abuse, should therefore be concealed, there is not any Art or Science, which might be lawfully profest."
-John Wilkins, Mercury, or the Secret and Swift messenger, shewing how a man may with privacy and speed Communicate his thoughts to a Friend at any distance (London, 1641)
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

↑ Up to the top!