Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What game do you think has the best graphics?
What game do you think has the best graphics?
2004-07-08, 12:13 PM #1
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Overlord:
Quit arguing in my thread, if you want to argue which has better graphics, make your own thread.

</font>

Deal.

Now, what game do you think has the best graphics? I think we'll limit this to PC games only, and once we have a suitable number of games lined up for the contender of best graphics, we will vote to see who wins. I ask that each person post screenshots of the game they say has the best graphics, and post a screenshot that shows off the most impressive attributes of the game.

I'll then post a screenshot of a pair of the nominated games, and voting will commence for one day. After that, the losing game will be eliminated from competition, and the winning game will, needless to say, go on to the next round.

The game, also, does not have to be released as of yet. So Doom 3, Half Life 2, and anything else are fair game. The only reason it's limited to PC games is because it's a level playing field. You can't compare a PS2 game with an Xbox game because the Xbox is capable of higher polygon count, and generally capable of more, so comparing the two is stupid. If someone wants to do this same thing with any individual console in a different thread, go right ahead.

------------------
I resent that.
>>untie shoes
2004-07-08, 1:20 PM #2
I think the lineup should be extended to console games.
2004-07-08, 1:22 PM #3
Hmm, technically Doom 3 seems like the 'winner' to me, but I'm just so much more impressed by the look of S.T.A.L.K.E.R and HL2.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-07-08, 1:34 PM #4
Alright, I will nominate some games.

Far Cry

[http://www.armchairempire.com/images/previews/pc/far-cry/far-cry-2.jpg]

[http://www.game-revolution.com/previews/screens/pc/far_cry/far_cry7b.jpg]

Doom 3

[http://www.igz.it/dep/pc/doom3/3.jpg]

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

[http://www.gengamers.com/assets/images/stalker-45.jpg]
[http://www.silicon-fusion.com/games/PC/1095/13.jpg]
[http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/news/11/18/stalker_screen002.jpg]

[This message has been edited by KnobZ (edited July 08, 2004).]
2004-07-08, 1:36 PM #5
And even though this isn't for consoles, here's one anyway:

Metroid Prime

[http://www.gamer.no/bilder/gamecube/metroid_prime/23.jpg]
[http://www.nintendo-se.com/development/miyamoto/screens/metroid_prime_02.jpg]
[http://www.gamer.no/bilder/gamecube/metroid_prime/17.jpg]
[http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/gamecube-metroid-screen.jpg]
[http://www.gamer.no/bilder/gamecube/metroid_prime/1.jpg]
2004-07-08, 1:39 PM #6
Best graphics for a video game...

I don't have a fast computer, and all I can run is pretty much Jedi Knight and Starcraft, But I do have a PS2 and I'd say the best graphics I've seen would be Return to Castle Wolfenstien.
"I'm interested in the fact that the less secure a person is, the more likely it is for that person to have extreme prejudices." -Clint Eastwood
2004-07-08, 1:40 PM #7
I vote for Pong.

------------------
"May your gravity well be shallow, and your deBroglie wavelength short."
Stuff
2004-07-08, 1:43 PM #8
Kyle makes a winning suggestion. I change my vote to Pong.
"I'm interested in the fact that the less secure a person is, the more likely it is for that person to have extreme prejudices." -Clint Eastwood
2004-07-08, 1:44 PM #9
For the best "highest quality graphics" to "best performance" ratio, I nominate Raven Shield.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-07-08, 1:46 PM #10
Are those FarCry Screens from the demo? or the full version?

------------------
mir·ow ( V ) Pronunciation Key (meer-oh)
Someone or something that possesses unfathomable awesomeness
2004-07-08, 1:49 PM #11
What about duck hunt for NES?
2004-07-08, 1:50 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Overlord:
Are those FarCry Screens from the demo? or the full version?
</font>

They're from the demo level as far as I can tell. Is there a difference between the level in the demo and in the full version?
2004-07-08, 1:53 PM #13
I think I'd have to go with far cry.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-08, 1:56 PM #14
Geeze, I should get a new graphics card, the FarCry Demo looks nothing like that on mine.

------------------
mir·ow ( V ) Pronunciation Key (meer-oh)
Someone or something that possesses unfathomable awesomeness
2004-07-08, 2:27 PM #15
Someone post that new Unreal engine screenshot. That's the best possible graphics I have seen for a game.
2004-07-08, 2:39 PM #16
I'm going to nominate Doom 3, seeing as nothing using the Unreal 3 engine is coming out for like another 2 years. It can't even be called an actual GAME yet.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-08, 2:40 PM #17
Oh yeah, that's capable of far more than anything else. But that's not for several years...

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-07-08, 2:45 PM #18
stalker.

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|My Portfolio|My Levels
2004-07-08, 3:41 PM #19
Of course S.T.A.L.K.E.R:

[http://images.3dgamers.com/screenimages/games/stalker/stalker_04-2004_5.jpg]

------------------
[="Rememeber that history isn't how the corporate controlled media made it look like. Read between the lines and free your mind. Evolution is the birth of equality and the anti-thesis to opression." - Immortal Technique=]

Massassian since: March 12, 2001

[This message has been edited by Sol (edited July 08, 2004).]
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-07-08, 4:15 PM #20
Far Cry. Hard to judge HL2, Stalker, Doom 3 without having actually played them.

Oh, and if we're including consoles, I still say Gran Turismo 4 will take the cake.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-07-08, 4:59 PM #21
HL2 unreleased, and FarCry for released. Doom3 never impressed me. It's so incredibly DARK, and many models are very LOW poly, but then to make it look nice (which just makes it look like plastic) they go bumpmap crazy! Ex. The killer flying octagon heads!

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-08, 5:03 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
Far Cry. Hard to judge HL2, Stalker, Doom 3 without having actually played them.
</font>

er, no. its very easy to see how good of graphics a game has even without playing it, and especially if it has videos of ingame stuff. the part that isnt 100% sure is gameplay and how you like the AI on a personal level. graphics are very easy to see.

------------------
2004-07-08, 5:04 PM #23
THOSE DON'T LOOK THAT WAY ANY MORE DAMMIT... THAT WAS FROM A REALLY REALLY EARLY BUILD. Screenshots from id have been sparce, but I subscribe to a couple of underground mags that have some newly leaked stuff in them. I'm sure it's floating on the net somewhere. But they're round and pretty now. So quit with your octagon argument. It's the only thing you ever use, and you're wrong. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-07-08, 5:06 PM #24
I nominate Doom 3 simply because I have faith in Carmack.

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein
2004-07-08, 5:07 PM #25
off the subject, but those urinals in the DOOM 3 shot are awesome.
2004-07-08, 5:11 PM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
HL2 unreleased, and FarCry for released. Doom3 never impressed me. It's so incredibly DARK, and many models are very LOW poly, but then to make it look nice (which just makes it look like plastic) they go bumpmap crazy! Ex. The killer flying octagon heads!

</font>

HL2 pales in comparison to Doom 3. Why is it that you and a very SELECT few others are the only people who think Doom 3 look like crap? Oh right, because it doesn't.

Spork--well...you see...*cough* I still pick Doom 3 [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

In other news, I <3 Yecti.

But yah, seriously, that was PRE-ALPHA when those shots were released. But even if they were octagon...meh. They'd still look seksay with Carmack's unGODLY ability to create awesome bumpmapping, great textures, and also just great atmosphere. As far as atmosphere goes, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and DooM III seem to have that tied up.

But yes, have faith in Carmack, the god of the FPS
------------------
There is no signature

[This message has been edited by Dj Yoshi (edited July 08, 2004).]
D E A T H
2004-07-08, 5:16 PM #27
I have watched movies, looked at pics, but Doom 3 doesn't even look that great to me. I don't see why people are raving about the graphics.... I they look pretty bad...

------------------
[url="http://gianturl.com?LslqYgMc,,zP3dd,3F9p8Zk,0,9LHkg7DS4bZW1Z4,PvH78r9v2svr7X,S,2cpBF,L
Hh3l2,6WPxP4,m28fBMzy4Rh,7xvzFHg4qS7k,qzG2K,7q6YSCXqP5x3,,1,,m5mC,gMrw4Xcx7,,,tg
LQw,F,J,p5X5,mCD7,p4fCJh9bc5kw,vmqWsl2h0V,6VRsy4b,9G6H,6,qdtM9PZ,ls,s0,N1rjwJ3hkwfr
nmfDV8G5J,,jT6bt3c7vh4,DVMkf3qX8dcz9yGnHkrr1hT8P8R4cC6Fx0qdl2,hKCH,b5wJY,,cVt,LPRx
RunXrp"]http://gianturl.com?LslqYgMc,,zP3dd,3F9p8Zk,0,9LHkg7DS4bZW1Z4,PvH78r9v2svr7X,S,2cpBF,L
Hh3l2,6WPxP4,m28fBMzy4Rh,7xvzFHg4qS7k,qzG2K,7q6YSCXqP5x3,,1,,m5mC,gMrw4Xcx7,,,tg
LQw,F,J,p5X5,mCD7,p4fCJh9bc5kw,vmqWsl2h0V,6VRsy4b,9G6H,6,qdtM9PZ,ls,s0,N1rjwJ3hkwfr
nmfDV8G5J,,jT6bt3c7vh4,DVMkf3qX8dcz9yGnHkrr1hT8P8R4cC6Fx0qdl2,hKCH,b5wJY,,cVt,LPRx
RunXrp[/url]
He's Watching you
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : : : o`-, ….
2004-07-08, 5:21 PM #28
I honestly have to ask... What's the point?

Every one of those looks VERY similar to me. A few years ago, you could always see marked differences in graphics in games. Now it seems like everyone is on the same level...

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-07-08, 5:25 PM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cazor:
er, no. its very easy to see how good of graphics a game has even without playing it, and especially if it has videos of ingame stuff. the part that isnt 100% sure is gameplay and how you like the AI on a personal level. graphics are very easy to see.</font>

No, I dont think it's fair to compare Far Cry running at 1024x768 on my GeForce4 against HL2 D3 whatever running at Carmack only knows on a X800 or 9800 supercomputer. When I get the chance to have a look at all the games running on my system with me pushing the graphics engine whichever way I want, then I'll give you an informed answer as to which is better.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

[This message has been edited by Spork (edited July 08, 2004).]
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-07-08, 5:28 PM #30
You know guys, this poll will be obsolete in like 2 years. Why not decide on the game with the WORST graphics?
2004-07-08, 5:30 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:
For the best "highest quality graphics" to "best performance" ratio, I nominate Raven Shield.

</font>

depends on your machine... alot of people have had really poor performance... unless a recent patch since i stopped visiting the raven shield forums fixed it...

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-07-08, 5:39 PM #32
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sok Munkey:
You know guys, this poll will be obsolete in like 2 years. Why not decide on the game with the WORST graphics?</font>

That is obvious, any game that doesn't HAVE graphics. IE: Text based games.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-07-08, 5:39 PM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FH_PhoenixFlame:
I have watched movies, looked at pics, but Doom 3 doesn't even look that great to me. I don't see why people are raving about the graphics.... I they look pretty bad...

</font>

You are one of the very very few.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-08, 5:45 PM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You are one of the very very few.</font>

One of the MANY. Just because you sleep, breath, eat, and drink Doom3 doesn't mean we ALL do.

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-08, 6:07 PM #35
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
No, I dont think it's fair to compare Far Cry running at 1024x768 on my GeForce4 against HL2 D3 whatever running at Carmack only knows on a X800 or 9800 supercomputer. When I get the chance to have a look at all the games running on my system with me pushing the graphics engine whichever way I want, then I'll give you an informed answer as to which is better.

</font>

there are screenshots on each game's website of the game running at what i am sure would be the fullest of both game's graphic extent, so yes, you would have a good idea. unless the game comapny is stupid and would rather post shots of the game at medium (or anything other than high with all options on) then thats just... no... dumb...

bottom line: you base this off of what each company has given you, and from what i have seen, the non finished stalker looks better than the finished far cry. one is final, and the other already looks better than it, so it only has room to improve.

bottomer line: yes, you can make fair judgement at this point.

------------------
2004-07-08, 6:09 PM #36
Unreal 3 blows them all out of the water. EASILY.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-07-08, 6:15 PM #37
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cazor:

there are screenshots on each game's website of the game running at what i am sure would be the fullest of both game's graphic extent, so yes, you would have a good idea. unless the game comapny is stupid and would rather post shots of the game at medium (or anything other than high with all options on) then thats just... no... dumb...

bottom line: you base this off of what each company has given you, and from what i have seen, the non finished stalker looks better than the finished far cry. one is final, and the other already looks better than it, so it only has room to improve.

bottomer line: yes, you can make fair judgement at this point.
</font>

Oh come on... The original JK can look like it has awesome graphics if you take the right screen shot.

I'm not saying these new games have bad graphics (far from it, Stalker and HL2 ****ing rock), I'm just not willing to judge them until I've played them. Sure they look like they could be better than Far Cry from what we've selectively been shown, but that doesnt mean they are better.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

[This message has been edited by Spork (edited July 08, 2004).]
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-07-08, 6:17 PM #38
But they all look THE SAME. I see only minor differences in each...

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand
2004-07-08, 6:24 PM #39
I'm getting rather sick of you weirdos saying "OOh ohohohohhhh lookk a me!!!!1 I'm so orginal becuz I'mm saying graphix dont madder in gamez ne more!! Their all the same!1 i7's no longr posible too improov teh graphix in gmes now b2cuz w3 hit a brik wall! only AI may be improoved now."

Give me a break. That's absolutely ridiculous. Do me a favor and go take a look at the Unreal 3 trailer. And yes, there are vast differences in graphics between modern PC games.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-07-08, 6:25 PM #40
bleh... i just think we're on different ends of the spectrum on this, spork.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!