Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What game do you think has the best graphics?
What game do you think has the best graphics?
2004-07-08, 6:33 PM #41
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freelancer:
I'm getting rather sick of you weirdos saying "OOh ohohohohhhh lookk a me!!!!1 I'm so orginal becuz I'mm saying graphix dont madder in gamez ne more!! Their all the same!1 i7's no longr posible too improov teh graphix in gmes now b2cuz w3 hit a brik wall! only AI may be improoved now."

Give me a break. That's absolutely ridiculous. Do me a favor and go take a look at the Unreal 3 trailer. And yes, there are vast differences in graphics between modern PC games.

</font>

I've got it sitting on my Hard Drive. It's nice. So what?

Seriously, if the Stalker shots weren't labled, I'd have thought they were HL2. Those two things look alike to me. Doom 3 looks like it's just had the bump mapping raised to the nth power and everything was given a shiny coat. FarCry looks like Stalker and HL2, but brighter and with an environment that looks more real.

That's how they look the same to me.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!

[This message has been edited by phoenix_9286 (edited July 08, 2004).]
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-07-08, 7:02 PM #42
I agree with Spork about liking to see a game in action. A flat image from one angle just isn't enough for me.....now an ultra hi-res gameplay video on the other hand....

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-07-08, 7:29 PM #43
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cazor:
stalker.</font>

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-08, 7:31 PM #44
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
One of the MANY. Just because you sleep, breath, eat, and drink Doom3 doesn't mean we ALL do.

</font>

One of the few. Any real gamer is looking forward to Doom 3. Whether they think it'll be the BEST game that comes out, or whether they've been waiting for it as long as I have (11 freaking years baby) isn't the point. You two are just one of the few people who are turned off by pre-alpha shots and a few bumpmapping images. I would say go play the alpha, but that's condoning illegal activity. So I won't say go play the alpha. Although I did, and it made me crap my pants that my computer could spit out something so beautiful. It was well worth the wasted undies.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-08, 7:36 PM #45
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
HL2 unreleased, and FarCry for released. Doom3 never impressed me. It's so incredibly DARK, and many models are very LOW poly, but then to make it look nice (which just makes it look like plastic) they go bumpmap crazy! Ex. The killer flying octagon heads!</font>

What are you talking about, finished models in D3 are supposed to have between 3000 and 6000 polys.

------------------
ZGPC

[This message has been edited by finity5 (edited July 08, 2004).]
2004-07-08, 7:46 PM #46
I'll go with Doom III on this, closely followed by Far Cry. Stalker, while certainly no slouch in the graphics department, just fails to compare to Far Cry or Doom III for me.

------------------
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.

[This message has been edited by Jazzkokehead (edited July 08, 2004).]
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
2004-07-08, 7:49 PM #47
I'm nominating a console game. Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

Screenshots, and even videos, don't do it justice. You need to play this game to see how truly beautiful it is.

------------------
Because you're as bored as I am
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-07-08, 8:04 PM #48
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chaz Ghostle:
I'm nominating a console game. Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

Screenshots, and even videos, don't do it justice. You need to play this game to see how truly beautiful it is.

</font>

Agreed, but I definitely don't think it's the best looking game available (or soon to be available)

------------------
AIM ID: BlueViper192
E-Mail: FCTuner04--//[at]\\--gmail--//[dot]\\--com

RiP -MaDaVentor-
The Limelite
2004-07-08, 9:01 PM #49
I refuse to take any part in this thread.
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-07-08, 9:05 PM #50
Doom III and Far Cry look "plasticy" because of their (relatively) low resolution textures, not necessarily because there's too much bump mapping. A lot of stuff in the real world often has a nice shine to it under the right light, but the surfaces are often rough that it becomes diffuse. It's like diffuse but textured...maybe some plastics would be a good example of this.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-07-09, 12:39 AM #51
Quote:

there are screenshots on each game's website of the game running at what i am sure would be the fullest of both game's graphic extent, so yes, you would have a good idea. unless the game comapny is stupid and would rather post shots of the game at medium (or anything other than high with all options on) then thats just... no... dumb...

bottom line: you base this off of what each company has given you, and from what i have seen, the non finished stalker looks better than the finished far cry. one is final, and the other already looks better than it, so it only has room to improve.
</font>

Official screenshots (maybe even videos) are often touched up with graphics applications.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Master Tonberry:
I refuse to take any part in this thread.</font>

Then why did you reply to it? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
If you can read this, you need better glasses.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-07-09, 1:04 AM #52
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
depends on your machine... alot of people have had really poor performance... unless a recent patch since i stopped visiting the raven shield forums fixed it...

</font>

Eh, I should have worded that differently. What I meant to say was...
"I nominate Raven Shield, because out of the games I've played, it's yielded the best 'Highest quality graphics' to 'best performance' ratio."

:x

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-07-09, 4:47 AM #53
D3, HL2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Painkiller, and Farcry all have about the same graphics just about. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has nice wall textures, D3 has nice monster and object models (ooo blood), Farcry has GODLIKE water, Painkiller has amazing ..move...ment.......(I can't spell psyihcs so shush >_> ), and HL2 IMO is just a balance of all these.

For consoles? FF12 looks like it won't let many down, but it IS for PS2. For PS2 the graphics are purty. Halo 2 looks astounding. Simple as that. Halo 2 is my fav console game graphics wise [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
"Dalton, that pie just moved of it's own accord."

"You must be mistaken, Tess. A pie can't move."
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-07-09, 4:55 AM #54
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Krokodile:
Official screenshots (maybe even videos) are often touched up with graphics applications.
</font>

Not DooM III's. Trust me on this, DooM III is all in-games.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-09, 5:10 AM #55
Quote:
bleh... i just think we're on different ends of the spectrum on this, spork.

</font>

For once I have to disagree with your entire argument Caz. You simply can't base an entire judgment on screenshots.

Graphically, a game has to be in motion in order for it to be fully realized. Not to mention that it has to be feasibly in my hands in order to give a true judgment because otherwise I've no idea what marketing ploys, editing, or other shady business tactics the developer is using to activate my salivary glands.

I didn't vote for anything during this thread and I still won't. I simply get angered by people like SAJN who will completely degrade a game like DooM III based on content that they shouldn't have gotten a look at in the first place. Carmack has made several statements regarding the high poly counts we'll see in a polished DooM, but people who want to bash it always go back to old, early build screenshots and videos.

Personally, I don't think FarCry, even running on my computer which the demo has, looks all that grand. Yeah, sure it has great looking water. But I'm not a swimmer unless I have a lightsaber, so it's not my end all experience. The trees and environments in all of those screenshots look comical. I fail to see why SAJN isn't pointing out the OCTAGONAL LEAVES coming off of the coconut palms. The gun models are low poly and don't impress me at all (Ruth's gun models look better), not to mention the fact that I'm tired of war games.

Anymore I'm sick of actually killing people. I want to game to relax, and I'm sick of all this realism that's been the rave as of late. The Battlefield craze needs to end. So yeah, environmentally, graphically, and mentally I'm going to select a game that satisfies all three needs. Painkiller, IMHO looks a hell of a lot better than FarCry. The environments don't look like a psychotic Serious Sam level (though the gameplay is), and I'm not at war with people, but instead, less stressful demons from hell. A+ in my book.

I probably will get both S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and HL2 (if it ever gets released, which at this point, I'm still holding out for DNF), but for the same reasoning, STALKER will get less play I'm sure. I'm just curious about the meticulous reproduction of Chernobyl that they've done. I've always wanted to see it in more detail. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

So there's my scoop. You can't judge a game by a screenshot, because as somebody said, you can make JK look like a million bucks with a lot of hard work and the right angle. It has to be moving and rendered by my computer (so not just a video, though it's better than a shot) otherwise I just can't see it as being a fair judgment to the game.

The wang has spoketh.

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On

[This message has been edited by Yecti (edited July 09, 2004).]
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-07-09, 5:38 AM #56
WANGSPEAK!

And I agree with you 100% Yecti. I'm sick of war games, sick of realism. I want DooM III because it's gonna be a good horror game. Really good.

But don't you know, HL2 is coming packaged with DNF!

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-09, 5:46 AM #57
Farcry isn't a war game... Isn't it a mutant game?

------------------
"Dalton, that pie just moved of it's own accord."

"You must be mistaken, Tess. A pie can't move."
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-07-09, 5:57 AM #58
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Any real gamer is looking forward to Doom </font>

I AM a real gamer, so are all my friends, none of us are looking forward to this. Thanks.

Also before a game is released we are all FORCED to judge a game by it's screens Yecti. Because I am not downloading and illegal alpha. And from the screens that the Doom 3 people have released, Doom 3 to me looks way to dark and way to bup mapped, making it look like plastic. So from what I have been given so FAR, Doom 3 looks like poo, IMO.

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited July 09, 2004).]
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-09, 6:42 AM #59
Noone can vote for HL2. Why? Because I think you have to vote for a game the actually has a CHANCE of being released. I doubt HL2 will be released during my lifetime, if ever.

Oh, and SAJN, Doom3 is supposed to be dark, ya know. That's how the previous games where.

[This message has been edited by Mister_Sinister (edited July 09, 2004).]
2004-07-09, 7:07 AM #60
I'm really going to have to agree with SAJN here. Doom 3 just looks... bad. And yeah, I downloaded the Alpha. It looks bad. They went way overboard on the dynamic lighting and bumpmapping. Everything is shiny. It looks bad.

Half Life 2 is going to be released. Soon. Within 3 months.

------------------
I resent that.
>>untie shoes
2004-07-09, 7:11 AM #61
Ok, that post was docile. Now is the angry post.

How can you even compare HL2 with Duke Nukem Forever? It's unbe-f*ckin-lieveable. Duke Nukem has been in development since the Quake 2 engine, and we have been waiting for it and waiting, and they have changed engines so many times it'll make your head spin. Half Life 2 was announced a little over one year ago! We didn't even officially know it was being made! They announced it ONE YEAR AGO! You're telling me that since you have waited one year it's the same as waiting who the hell knows how many on DNF? ONE YEAR? That means a game will never be released in your lifetime? My god! If we had to wait a year from its announcement for every game, we would be ****ting rainbows and whistling dixie. Nobody would complain about that! But you want to complain about one year!

End Rant.

------------------
I resent that.
>>untie shoes
2004-07-09, 7:40 AM #62
i vote for the HomeWorld Series... mostly HW2, from the engine trails to the explosions to the tiny little buttlets you have to strain your eyes to see, the lasers and ion beams look excelent also... and look at those dust clouds coming from the asteriod that harvestor is mining... O.o ....omg...my mothership just blew up... the dreaded sentance "MISSION FAILED"

------------------
Carter: "whats wrong?"
Daniel: "this tastes like chicken..."
Carter: "whats bad about that?"
Daniel: "this is supposed to be macaroni and cheese..."
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2004-07-09, 7:48 AM #63
Nothing I have seen so far from FarCry, HL2, or DooM III look as impressive as the new STALKER trailers. I'll probably end up getting at least 2 of them, one being half life 2. I don't think any of them will please me that much though, since I don't enjoy mutant romps, and all three of them could be clasiffied as such.
2004-07-09, 7:50 AM #64
No, I'm making my assumption based on the multiple delays HL2 has suffered. We should have it right now, but Valve keeps pushing the release further and further back. Oh, and I wasn't comparing it to DNF. DNF died because those idiots kept changing engines, because they were so worried about it looking better than any game on the market. Look where it got them.

Oh, and HL2, within 3 months? Last I heard from Valve it wasn't coming out until late 04/early 05.
2004-07-09, 7:58 AM #65
After playing the Doom 3 alpha, I am seriously impressed by every aspect of it. And no SAJN, by gamer I mean someone who would upgrade their computer just to get the sweetest quality they could get. Someone that lives, breathes, dies games. You aren't one of them, and you don't have to be, just admit what you are and aren't.

I haven't played the HL2 leak, nor would I start thinking about it with jail time associated with it. But seriously, HL2 doesn't look that impressive--the most impressive thing is the physics engine, which will be awesome. That is when it's released with DNF. Bill--HL2 has been announced for a LOT longer than 1 year. You don't know what you're talking about there bud.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R., while impressive, doesn't just stand out at me like something I'd pay money for. It's too...well....lame. All you have to look forward to is some interesting AI and a few...weapons...what's good about it?

Doom 3 for me is nostalgia for one. I remember playing DooM as a tot, and loving it. I remember the hours spent fragging aliens over and over again. To be able to do it in such beautiful atmosphere now, is like a dream come true. But also I'm getting it for the mods that will inevitably come out for it. Come on, it's the #1 game engine to be released. Don't tell me you won't see the awesomest mods ever on it.

I'm done.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-09, 8:34 AM #66
Listen, bud, HL2 was announced OFFICIALLY at E3 2003. It was pretty much known that it was being made, but there had never been an announcement, or a screen shot to prove it.

And as far as delays go, well... you're supporting Doom 3. That's like saying you're a fan of the Harlem Globetrotters yet you hate black people. Doom 3 has seen its share of delays... and we've been seeing the same old screenshots of it for years now.

------------------
I resent that.
>>untie shoes
2004-07-09, 8:43 AM #67
Doom 3 has never seen a delay, ever. It's never been announced for any date officially by id. They just take their sweet time and get it done "when it's done". HL2 was known to be in the works LONG before that, it just never was announced that it was being made. Besides, Vivendi doesn't have the best track record as far as releasing games on time. Diablo 2 anyone?

As far as the screenshots, how many HL2 shots have been released? Not nearly as many as those for Doom 3. Doom 3 doesn't need any more because we've gotten TONS of them, and if you watch the Doom 3 trailer that's more than enough. I've said my piece.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-09, 8:50 AM #68
Well, the only reason they don't do the release thing is because they don't want the hassle of having to explain it has been delayed. There has only been one official release date for HL2, and it was delayed past that. Other than that, all so called release dates have been rumors.

And we all know that the team at iD software has such a great track record with releasing games quickly and making their work really count. Quake 3 anyone? Yeah, lets just get blown out of the water by UT. You know, claim you're going to reinvent a genre and just release a really cool game engine. Good job boys.

And bad news, friend, Viviendi doesn't develop games. They publish them. Valve is developing HL2. Viviendi has nothing to do with when it's finished.

------------------
I resent that.
>>untie shoes
2004-07-09, 8:54 AM #69
Vivendi gives out release dates, and usually false ones. Valve doesn't have a great record either. And by no means was Quake 3 blown out of the water by UT. Also they were like 2 years apart. Get your facts straight. They never had a delay, they don't put time restraints on themselves when they know they may/may not be able to make it.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-09, 9:15 AM #70
I don't like QUake 3, due to it's lack of SP. Quake 3 should have been like UT meets Quake 2. I miss the single player levels, all this deathmatch crap gets boring fast.

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!
2004-07-09, 9:34 AM #71
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Also they were like 2 years apart. Get your facts straight. They never had a delay, they don't put time restraints on themselves when they know they may/may not be able to make it.

</font>

I don't think you could be more wrong, they were released on the exact same day. I don't think you should be telling others to get their facts straight...
2004-07-09, 9:55 AM #72
Doom3, or METROID PRIME 2:ECHOES

------------------
*landfish 'splodes*
7 of 14
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2004-07-09, 9:55 AM #73
My mistake, I was thinking of something else. But UT didn't by any means kill Q3. It didn't do anything to it. It still is a big argument, UT or Q3, but Q3 still is played in MANY servers, whereas I believe UT1999 has fairly died out. Also the many GAMES spawned from the Q3 engine...they're endless. I still hear arguments about UT2k3 vs Q3 (UT2k4 is in a league of its own). Besides, Q3's engine was much better, the game engine lived on long after UT's did. I think the last game to use the UT engine, correct me if I'm mistaken, might be the new up and coming V:tM game. That might be UT2k3's engine, in which case the last one to have used it will be Deus Ex. AND there are TONS more games from the Q3 engine.

------------------
There is no signature

[This message has been edited by Dj Yoshi (edited July 09, 2004).]
D E A T H
2004-07-09, 9:56 AM #74
w00t for double post

D E A T H
2004-07-09, 9:59 AM #75
Actaully, People still play UT..alot of people. I play UT just about every day I can. There are a crap load of servers still. Q3 had a better engine yeah, but UT just had more replay value. And I have NEVER heard anyone compare UT2k3 to Quake 3, that is just plain stupid.

------------------

2004-07-09, 10:26 AM #76
You obviously never visit gaming forums. Because UT and Q3 have 2 VERY different styles of play, even in UT2k3 that's still compared with Q3. Q3 is insanely fast-paced, with instant kills almost. UT2k3 is slower-paced with more I guess you could say dodging. But if you've never heard UT2k3 compared to Q3 you really don't know what's up.

I've played UT about a year back, it was okay. The game servers weren't everywhere though, it was dying out. Still more people played Q3 at the time (I used ASE to confirm this with the amount of servers). UT is dying and so is Q3, but Q3 a lot, lot slower. As for UT having more replay value, don't make me laugh. Q3 has the best bot AI and the most fun MP I've played/seen in a long time. In Q3 the bots actually know how to USE their weapons, unlike most games. If you're playing SP, Q3 r teh win.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-09, 10:39 AM #77
Uhh, Unreal Tournament is like 900 times better then any Quake game. Many argue that UT is better then UT2k4. UT and UT2k4 are really hard to compare, because UT is the original..and it's so good! Unreal Tournament became and instant classic. More so then Quake 3.

------------------

2004-07-09, 10:42 AM #78
That's just opinion. UT is not > Q3, nor is it more of an instant classic.

My personal opinion? I put them about on the same grounds as far as quality, but UT is nowhere NEAR more of a classic IMO. You need your head checked.

Also, UT was pretty much useless at the time unless you had a *****in D3D card or a decent 3DFX card. The OpenGL implementation was laughable at best. Q3 ran on pretty much any machine, however. That just shows iD's dedication.
------------------
There is no signature

D E A T H
2004-07-09, 1:36 PM #79
You're not using any more fact than SAJN in this argument Yosh. You haven't seen many shots from DooM III because Carmack got nervous. He's an artist with his engines and games. Once the alpha was leaked, he shoved the whole project under wraps and very little has been released. But I don't see why you couldn't have faith in the best engine developer to emerge in PC gaming. Sure id took a radical turn with Q3 favoring multiplayer as opposed to single, but you can rest easy in knowing that they'll be back to what we love with DooM III. As for the shinyness, you have to realize that in almost all of the screenshots and in the alpha, nothing was completely textured nor finalized. The levels probably won't see the light of day in their current incarnations, and as it has been stated before, the polycount is going to go up FAST. With increased poly models, the bump mapping will assuredly go down, and the shinyness of the surfaces will go with it. The dynamic lighting is important. Environmentally, it adds a lot to DooM III, so you can't really go overboard. That's like saying that God went overboard with Earth v1.0 because we cast shadows onto ourselves. The engine will replicate real-life lighting better than any of its predecessors.

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-07-09, 1:52 PM #80
I know I wasn't...maybe I should edit my post. But yah I've had faith in iD since I played DooM, my first FPS evar.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!