Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What game do you think has the best graphics?
What game do you think has the best graphics?
2004-07-09, 2:02 PM #81
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:

I've played UT about a year back, it was okay. The game servers weren't everywhere though, it was dying out. Still more people played Q3 at the time (I used ASE to confirm this with the amount of servers).</font>

That's because a year ago all the UT fans were playing UT2k3. Now UT2k4 is out, so no one plays 2k3 anymore.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
UT is dying and so is Q3, but Q3 a lot, lot slower. As for UT having more replay value, don't make me laugh. Q3 has the best bot AI
[/b]</font>

Aside from the bot chatter, which I must admit was rather amusing, Q3's bots can't really do anything UT's bots couldn't immitate. They're both good systems.

As for the replay value, there is one thing that really sets the two games appart - Variety. Quake 3 has none to speak of. Nearly every level has that bland brown classic quake look, the same feel and the exact same atmosphere. UT, on the other hand, is much much more colorful and varied. Not just with the textures and level design, but also with sound, music, and general atmosphere.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-09, 2:18 PM #82
Although I'm no fan of multiplayer only games, I do think that Quake 3 was a well-made game.

------------------
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
2004-07-09, 4:08 PM #83
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
Aside from the bot chatter, which I must admit was rather amusing, Q3's bots can't really do anything UT's bots couldn't immitate. They're both good systems.

As for the replay value, there is one thing that really sets the two games appart - Variety. Quake 3 has none to speak of. Nearly every level has that bland brown classic quake look, the same feel and the exact same atmosphere. UT, on the other hand, is much much more colorful and varied. Not just with the textures and level design, but also with sound, music, and general atmosphere.
</font>

That still doesn't change anything. Q3 is played more than UT1999.

But I'll agree with you on variety, but not on bots. I find the Q3 bots to be HIGHLY engaging, whereas UT bots were...meh...

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-09, 4:58 PM #84
Well of course it is. There have been two more complete games released in the UT series since the original. Q3 has had an expansion pack. There are more Q3 players because the UT people have moved on, while iD still has not released a follow up.

------------------
I resent that.
>>untie shoes
2004-07-09, 5:02 PM #85
Oh, and also, you can't say that the reason Doom 3 looks bad right now is because it's not finished and all we have are early screenshots. Well if we have never seen the finished graphics, then you can't use them in your argument. I can sit here all day and say UT 2K9 is going to have the best graphics of all games! But we don't know, cause no one has seen screenshots of finished graphics for that game. It hasn't even been announced yet as a matter of fact. So until you can actually point to a screenshot where everything doesn't look over bump mapped and shiny as a new penny, I don't want to hear about what the finished game is going to look like. The point of this thread is to point out what game has the best graphics. If we have never seen what a game is capable of, we can only use what we have seen in this argument. I can't very well post screens of UT 2K9 cause no one has ever seen any. Get it?

------------------
I resent that.
>>untie shoes
2004-07-09, 5:06 PM #86
Have you ever heard of editing your post? Double posting is eeevil.

------------------
2004-07-10, 10:01 AM #87
But when the lead developer, eg: Carmack has said as much as I'm saying here in relevant articles to the press, then you can safely assume that what you see now is not representative of a finished product. Your analogy is bogus because while UT2K9 doesn't exist in any form, DooM III is a created entity, with people who do indeed know what it's like after the alpha. Those people have mouths, and those mouths speak the truth.

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-07-10, 10:28 AM #88
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
HL2 unreleased, and FarCry for released. Doom3 never impressed me. It's so incredibly DARK, and many models are very LOW poly, but then to make it look nice (which just makes it look like plastic) they go bumpmap crazy! Ex. The killer flying octagon heads!

</font>

You say that doom 3's bump mapping looks like plastic, than Im curious about what you think of Far Cry's, because that IS plastic.

Have you seen the trailers of Doom3? Cause Doom 3 is not ment to be looked at frame by frame. So, basically looking at screenshots do not the game's justice at all. Three things about "The Killer Flying Octagon Heads" First of all, they are like that because the lighting will shade it smooth, secondly, it is at a low polycount because there will be a lot to render on the screen/process, and lastly, I don't like how you tend to exaggerate things to praise a game, or in this case, degrade it significantly.

The bumpmapping, however, I do not deny that some textures do have that look. However, in motion, with the dynamic light, pixel shading etc, that problem is generally fixed.

I too have "seen" the alpha. But never did I once say it was polygonal in game.

I suggest you to go to planetdoom and d/l all the footages of the game. Once you see it in motion, tell me if you can see the edges of the models.

------------------
\(='_'=)/
\(='_'=)/

↑ Up to the top!