Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → It's done.
It's done.
2004-07-14, 6:31 PM #41
I loved Quake 2.

------------------
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
2004-07-14, 6:56 PM #42
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Did you play through all of your games over and over again? Multiplayer and mods are what's gonna maximize it.

</font>

Which is PRECISELY where it falls for me. Do you have any idea how un-fun it is to try and play more modern games over the internet on a 56k modem these days? Mods are great and all, but with a game like Doom 3, those are surely going to be freaking huge downloads. All fine and dandy for people with broadband, but for me? Forget it. I draw the line for download sizes at about 10 meg, unless I really REALLY have to have it.

On a final note, I can get tactical, challenging, and friggin SCARY from a nearly 10 year old game. It goes by the name Marathon. I've ranted quite a bit about it lately, but on higher difficulty settings, some of those levels can be nearly impossible to complete. Not to mention frightening when you're suddenly down to so little health that one shot will kill you, the level is dark, you sight is severly hampered, and you have no clue what's around the next corner, but you do know the bad guys are invisible.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-07-14, 6:59 PM #43
Why people care about MP is beyond me... I'm not buying Doom III for MP, I'm getting it for SP, which, from what I've heard, is excellent.

------------------
2004-07-14, 7:04 PM #44
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jazzkokehead:
Why people care about MP is beyond me... I'm not buying Doom III for MP, I'm getting it for SP, which, from what I've heard, is excellent.

</font>

Because, as DJ Yoshi pointed out, and I have to agree, Mutliplay is indeed where it is at now. You can only do Single Player so many times. But Mutliplayer against other live human beings provides a constant new challenge. As he also said, Mods and Levels maximize that.

But as I said, none of that is possible for me because of my connection. I wish it were, but I can't forsee spending 50+ dollars on a game I'll get no additional use out of other than Single Player.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-07-14, 7:06 PM #45
What's so great about shooting at other players over and over again, with no goal other than to get the highest score?

------------------
2004-07-14, 7:10 PM #46
Yeah Quake 1 and 2 had horrible multiplayer, the single player is everything. Quake 3 sucked because it was all this arena bull crap. It wasn't Quake, it was another game with the Quake logo. I want my Quake single player damn it.

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-14, 7:14 PM #47
Quote:
What's so great about shooting at other players over and over again, with no goal other than to get the highest score?

</font>

... Have even LOOKED at gamemodes other than Deathmatch? CTF does not just involve killing people to get the highest score. UT2k4 would be the best example of varying game modes right now I think. Onslaught, CTF, Bombing Run, and a few others have almost nothing to do really with killing people to get the highest score. It's not the main objective.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand
2004-07-14, 7:18 PM #48
I don't care how non-killing or score oriented these modes supposedly are (I wasn't aware the point of CTF wasn't to get the highest score), I would still take a well-crafted single player experience to a multiplayer-only game any day. Pretty much the only MP I touch these days is co-op, and we all know how rare that's becoming.

------------------
2004-07-14, 7:20 PM #49
Quote:
I don't care how non-killing or score oriented these modes supposedly are (I wasn't aware the point of CTF wasn't to get the highest score), I would still take a well-crafted single player experience to a multiplayer-only game any day. Pretty much the only MP I touch these days is co-op, and we all know how rare that's becoming.

</font>

I completely agree with your Single Player and Co-Op statement. As for the multiplayer stuff... I thought you were refering to the style of Deathmatch where every kill gives a point. Not game modes in general.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand
2004-07-14, 7:25 PM #50
I'm not saying I dispise any form of MP completely, I do admit to jumping online occassionally when I'm bored. Most MP just can't hold my interest for that long. I think the view that MP is where the future of gaming is at is a rather unfortunate one. I really want to see a developer come up with an innovative SP with high replayability.

------------------
2004-07-14, 7:30 PM #51
As would I. I don't believe I've touched a game in awhile that had a really good story. Halo was good, to me at least. Level design left something to be desired in places, but as I've read over and over again, much of that was due to M$ time constraints to have Halo launch with the system.

KOTOR has a pretty good story as well. I found it a bit predictable after awhile, but it's better than most other things I've been seeing.

I think those are the last two games I've played that had a really good story and SP aspect.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand
2004-07-14, 7:44 PM #52
KOTOR is an example of a good SP with high replayability, largely due to the amount of choice the player has.

Come to think about it, a co-op only game would rock. The benefits of a good single-player campaign in a multiplayer experience.

------------------
2004-07-14, 7:49 PM #53
Quote:
The first review in PC Gamer gives it a 94% and list the specs as:

PC Gamer recommends:
2Ghz CPU
512 MB ram
Radeon 9800
5-channel audio

GF FX (and higher)
</font>

3.0 Ghz CPU
1 GB RAM

...GF FX 5200 (128 MB) :/. Not a very good vid card, but it's supported, and the rest of my specs exceed the recommended ones, so I'm good.

------------------
Saberopus: omfq musical genuis j00 >mozart
Thrawn42689: Mozart = n00b
2004-07-14, 8:00 PM #54
Has anyone here ever played Hexen 2? it was a game that came out in 1997 or 98, i forget which. It was developed on the Quake 1 engine, but the areas and textures are beautiful even by modern standards. Architecturally, it is one of the best games that i have ever seen, never mind the now-obsolete engine.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-07-14, 10:22 PM #55
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">o_O seriously? Quake 2 was just great fun, and Quake 3...well...figures don't lie. It's something like one of the top-selling games of all time.</font>

Meh, and I bet the Deer Hunter franchise has out sold the NOLF franchise by a large margin, so I don't put much stock in those kind of figures personally [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-07-14, 11:49 PM #56
the point of mp gaming is to decide who makes the tea/get the beer from the fridge

------------------
stop talking in brail

300 years as jedi master i was, now i bloody night-lite

(:-) Monobrow
2004-07-15, 12:09 AM #57
^^^ That's the problem I have with MP (Stick with me here!)...

I only play MP against the same group of people (since the death of the Zone...*sigh*), my housemates over our network - and what invariably happens is I kick all their arses, get bored, retire and put the kettle on!

Also, yes I have played hexen 2 and indeed it was awesome, and I also loved Quake 2, even its multiplayer (I had bots), espeically Q2DM1.

And my first multiplayer experience was one on one Quake with a lad I knew from school on "Welcome to Quake" and it was the daddy. I knew where the quad was and he didn't. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-07-15, 4:32 AM #58
Quake 2 Co-op = Gold.

I never play MP, exept the odd LAN and sometimes co-op. SP all the way for me.

------------------
"The trick in life is not to find a way to make it perfect, it's to enjoy the good, strengthen your ability to deal with the bad, and keep your eyes looking forward to the good."
-Chelsea Brown
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2004-07-15, 4:34 AM #59
Anyone bashing Doom3 is being daft... the first two Doom games were fantastic, this won't be any different.... its gonna be a hell of a lot of fun regardless of HL2 or Stalker, massassians always seem to seek the most uber product, but end up getting banned for flaming before they do.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-07-15, 5:01 AM #60
I've never played Quake 2, but the last game I've played with decent coop was descent 1... Ahh those lazy sunday afternoons when a good friend and I would blast through a few levels together.. it was great. It worked flawlessly on dial-up and everything.

Next best would be Serious Sam.. although it's pretty damn buggy.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-07-15, 5:56 AM #61
wasn't RtCW by Raven anyway?

Phoenix, it sounds like you played Doom long after it came out. When it originally came out, it was very good, believe you me.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
Which is PRECISELY where it falls for me. Do you have any idea how un-fun it is to try and play more modern games over the internet on a 56k modem these days? Mods are great and all, but with a game like Doom 3, those are surely going to be freaking huge downloads.</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
Because, as DJ Yoshi pointed out, and I have to agree, Mutliplay is indeed where it is at now. You can only do Single Player so many times. But Mutliplayer against other live human beings provides a constant new challenge. As he also said, Mods and Levels maximize that.</font>

Haha, it's like two completely different people are posting.

SAJN, Quake and Quake 2 had awesome multiplayer, the singleplayer was just something to keep people happy. I can find a PuG game of 8vs8 Quake Team Fortress any day of the week, in my own country, which is more than I can say for Jedi Knight...

Ahhh.. goodbye crappy UT, hello Doom3
2004-07-15, 6:24 AM #62
I seriously hope Doom III is the UT killer. Why? Because UT is getting so friggin REPETETIVE. Sure, they did some good things with the new one, but what's to say they don't screw up the next one? Either way, I wonder what Doom III BFG9000 matches will be like XD

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-15, 6:24 AM #63
For your reading enjoyment, the Doom III review from PC Gamer:

THE WORLD-EXCLUSIVE FIRST REVIEW

You've waited years. Now the wait is over. PC Gamer was the only publication in the world to review Doom 3 a split-second after id declared it "Done." We thought we were ready...

Turn out the lights. Get the surround-sound speakers in place. And say goodbye to sanity for the next 20-odd hours. The guys at id Software are famous for delivering a game "when it's done" - and we're here to tell you that Doom 3 is not only done, it's mind-blowing.

The game opens up with your arrival at Mars Research Facility of the massive United Aerospace Corporation. It's the year 2145, and you're a Marine newly assigned to the facility's security detail. For the first 15 minutes, you’re not even issued a weapon - the action unfolds in a pace reminiscent of the opening of Half-Life, as you get oriented around the security building and watch some video primers on your new job and new home. In this opening act, you're familiarized with your Personal Digital Assistant, which will be your invaluable interface throughout the rest of the game. Using this handy gadget, you can download info from other people's PDAs as you come across them, adding codes, access keys, and emails that contain crucial information you'll need to progress through the 28 maps to follow. Here's what you really spend those first 15 minutes doing: gawking. This is your chance to absorb the full shock of magnificent graphics engine put to stunning use. The environments are huge-scale and packed with detail. The base is a convincing Mars Station - less a far-future design than a depressingly postmodern corporate park. It feels lived-in, too - from the skin mags scattered on the kitchenette tables to the nastiest in the public rest-room toilet bowls.

But no sooner do you get oriented with your gear - and with the very cool physics model that lets you rearrange just about any object in the place - then all hell breaks loose. Literally.

The base is hammered by a shockwave of satanic force, and immediately discover that almost everyone around you has turned into a flesh eating zombie - with a mindless devotion to snacking on you. Worse yet, the base has been invaded by a horde of nightmarish demons. Cut off from your fellow Marines (and stalked by some of their well armed zombie versions!), you've got only a comm link with your still human Sarge to steer you to safety

DOOM AND THEN SOME

For those expecting a "classic" run and gun Doom gameplay, the biggest surprise may be just how substantial this game is. If you try to blaze through any of these 28 missions you WILL be humiliated. Instead the only route to access is a slow and steady one, sticking to shadows, searching every nook and cranny for health, ammo, and access keys, and generally advancing as methodicaly as you can.

You've also got to figure out what’s happening. As you make your way through the different levels of the base, the pilot is revealed via the PDAs you pick up, and in brief conversations with the few NPCs who weren’t "turned" by the satanic attack. To make your way through the inevitably sealed-off access doors between levels, you'll have to read through email that progressively reveals a conspiracy of apocalypse proportions - the nefarious scheme of psychotic Dr. Betruger, UAC’s chief scientist, who's perverted a teleportation to open up a portal into hell-like dimension. (Oh and if you didn’t notice Dr. Betruger is also keen on transporting his hellion army to earth.)

Gear is an absolute premium. All the old Doom weapons are back, but preciously rationed, and with an ever dwindling supply of ammo for each. The shotgun is your basic in close sledge hammer, while the assault rifle is your best down hallway exchanges with armed zombie marines. The chaingun provides a heavy punch for those hectic occasions when you need to yell "LETS ROCKKKK!" The plasma rifle was my personal fav, dealings streams of fiery blue death, although it runs out of ammo quickly. The rocket launcher scores devastating hits at a distance, while the stock pistol is suitable for minor enemies and desperate last stands. (And as for the BFG 9000 - you'll have to wait a bit before you get to arm it, but the wait is well worth it.)

But there’s no need to worry that Doom 3 is as slow as Splinter Cell - hardly a minute goes by without a furious exchange of hostiles with some manner demonic beastie, imps, Hellknights, and Archviles are all back to shock and awe you with viscerally jarring attacks, and the endless stream of zombies and scuttling nasties gives you plenty to chew on (and chew up). The gallery of grotesquerie is the product of almost limitless imagination for horrors - spiders that make your flesh crawl, infant "cherubs" mutated with fly wings, and other unnamable terrors that blight the corridors of the possessed base

TO LAUNCH A THOUSAND PC PURCHASES

Early in the game, you're tasked with sprinting outside the mars Facility ( with rapidly depleting air canisters) in search of the next airlock. It was here that i really started to notice what I was seeing was graphics superiority that not even current hot tech showcases like Far Cry could match. Dust blew around the Martian surface and the dull brown/red hue of the sand and the twisted metal of shredded structures all seemed so perfectly plausible.

Each girder, door, and window adds tangible substance to each scene, and even the effect of your flashlight shining into a darkened corner looks ridiculously real - as the light floods through a room , swinging back and forth, shadows are cast perfectly; dust particles gently drift into the cone of the flash light , eerily visible. And these are just the basics of the environment: just wait until you enter the depths of hell, and dive into some of the later mass melees. Doom 3, with all due awareness of hyperbole, is the best looking game you've ever seen.

Not surprising you'll need a monster system to render these monsters in all their intricately textured glory. But the ability to play Doom 3 with all its visual magic maxed out is really a good excuse to trade up. A P4 3GHzwith a GeForce 5950- class card will see u through okay. One of our test systems had a GeForce 6800 ultra and ran flawlessly at 1024x 768 with high detail. (A higher level of quality and resolution is available, but the PC to run it well isn’t) with a GeForce4 MX card and 512 MB RAM, the texture detail was great, although the game was choppier in spots.

Bottom line: If Far Cry didn’t convince you, then Doom 3 should - the time to upgrade to a next generation 3D chip, or even an all new rig, is now.

SOUND, FURY...AND SCARES

While I was expecting amazing graphics, it was the sound effects and sound design that had me reeling. Footsteps echo spookily down halls; monsters issue bloodcurdling shrieks; every hallway has an audible drip of menace and dread. Doom 3 is the reason to own surround sound speakers. The collective impact of sound design on the whole experience cant be overstated, adding to the urge to switch out the lights, close the curtains, crank up the volume, and let yourself be scared s***less.

And you will be jolted right out of your seat. I'm not going to spoil any of the socks here, but there were at least four occasions where i lunged back in y chair. Lead designer Tim Willits is inside your head like a psychologist - and just when he’s let you think you can lower your guard, he sticks the psychic shiv right into your nervous system.

Even when the scares aren’t heart stopping , there’s a constant, simmering anxiety at each and every step. You basically subjecting yourself to a 20 hour cardiac episode. At times, death brought sweet, momentary respite from the fear drenched mayhem.

The zombie plagued space station is creepy enough , but about mid way through the game you make a teleport aided detour to hell. The whole feel of the game changes utterly - if you thought you were in desperate straits before, you now find yourself in a balls shriveling nightmare netherworld. (With no weapons!)

It's all leading up to a knees knocking climatic spelunk into the archeological ruins beneath mars base where you enter a final showdown against evildoers amid the remnants of a fallen Martian civilization. As the massive fright lifter descends so agonizingly slowly into the darkness, you may find yourself as I did, cursing out loud at the grim hold this game has on you.

Does Doom 3 have any missteps maybe just one; its attempts at humor feel way out of place. there are a few lame running gagas: PDA spam and an uber-nerdy string of emails between members of a role-playing club. (The spam gag actually becomes a puzzle that requires you jump out of the game and use you web browser to find a code. Huh?) In one appalling instance, you even become privy in a tongue-in-cheek directive by arcvillian Dr. Betruger, advising hellions on the proper way to prepare virgin sacrifices. These limp jokes server only to dump me out of the games carefully calibrated dread machine.

But no matter: The rest is all dynamite. Doom 3 took me 23 hours to complete on the medium difficulty setting. (For all those who rumored that the game would be over in a few hours- you couldn’t be more wrong.) And for those 23 hours, you will never experience a dull moment. Or even a less than mesmerizing one. Doom 3 is a masterpiece of art form - staying true to the frantic legacy of the Doom series, while ambitiously reaching new heights and bashing down the doors of the next generation of PC shooter. The bar is raised. Lets see someone else climb over it - Dan Morris

------------------
2004-07-15, 6:37 AM #64
It sounds to me like Doom III = everything killer

------------------
2004-07-15, 6:42 AM #65
*Curses his student-induced poverty*

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-07-15, 6:44 AM #66
Perhaps. Mostly it's just going to be one of the most badass games released in a long long time. It's been something I've looked forward to my entire childhood/preteenhood/some of my teenage years. I <3 Doom III.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-15, 9:09 AM #67
Ok, before I was just "ah I'll play it on my mates comp"

Now I think I *really* need to upgrade...
2004-07-15, 9:27 AM #68
Doom 3 will definately kill Civ3.

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-07-15, 9:35 AM #69
Hey, I'd take Doom III over Civ 3.

------------------
2004-07-15, 9:51 AM #70
If they release a decent means to edit it (which I have no doubt will be some sort of GTKUBERMAKEMAPSTOOLOMQ), I will be sure to download at least ONE level that consists of four boxes, tunnels, and eleventybillion BFG9000's with unlimited ammo. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-07-15, 9:52 AM #71
I hope D3's mp is like DooM2's. With ZDaemon, DooM2 was amazing for CTF.

------------------
"Dalton, that pie just moved of it's own accord."

"You must be mistaken, Tess. A pie can't move."
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-07-15, 9:57 AM #72
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yecti:
If they release a decent means to edit it (which I have no doubt will be some sort of GTKUBERMAKEMAPSTOOLOMQ), I will be sure to download at least ONE level that consists of four boxes, tunnels, and eleventybillion BFG9000's with unlimited ammo. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

</font>

Yes! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-15, 9:59 AM #73
Doom III editing tools are included with the game. DoomEd (the Doom III map editor, for those not in the know) is built into the main Doom .exe.

------------------
2004-07-15, 10:41 AM #74
PC - co-op = not good
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-07-15, 10:44 AM #75
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evil_Tofu:
PC - co-op = not good</font>

UT2k4 had no co-op, FarCry had no co-op, yet they're revelled as GotY material.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-15, 10:50 AM #76
UT2k4 has no need for a co-op...as the single player mode is the same as the multiplayer mode.

Far Cry didn't have it either, and while it's true it would have benefited from it, it reall doesn't need it because Far Cry has such a strong SP component anyway.
2004-07-15, 10:52 AM #77
And you doubt Doom III WILL have this strong SP experience?

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-15, 11:33 AM #78
DooM III will be good without co-op... but it would have been better with it.

------------------
Please send me e-mail...
2004-07-15, 12:31 PM #79
I have no doubt that someone will eventually make a co-op mod.

------------------
2004-07-15, 3:44 PM #80
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GHORG:

Haha, it's like two completely different people are posting.
</font>

Indeed, but I know exactly what he's talking about, despite the fact that I can't do any of it anymore.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand

↑ Up to the top!