Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → It's done.
It's done.
2004-07-15, 10:38 PM #81
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
And you doubt Doom III WILL have this strong SP experience?

</font>

Yes.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-07-15, 11:59 PM #82
It really, really sounds like the story is an almost complete ripoff of Half-Life.

------------------
Moo.
Moo.
2004-07-16, 1:46 AM #83
...I know it's not greatly original, but at least it's not ripping off NAM or something crappy - it's learned from the best [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-07-16, 4:26 AM #84
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by A_Big_Fat_CoW:
It really, really sounds like the story is an almost complete ripoff of Half-Life.

</font>

And where do you think Half-Life got its ideas from?

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-07-16, 5:04 AM #85
Half-Life's story = complete ripoff of Doom's

------------------
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.
2004-07-16, 5:46 AM #86
Doom III's story is from Doom I, it's actually the exact same game...only...redone. So if you say a 1998 game got ripped off by a game made 5 years earlier, I'd say "Where's the pods that lead to the future"

And then the monkey says "IN MY BRAIN".

Yeah, don't ask.

------------------
There is no signature

[This message has been edited by Dj Yoshi (edited July 16, 2004).]
D E A T H
2004-07-16, 7:11 AM #87
So this game comes out August 4th. That gives me 3 weeks to make 200 dollars for a new video card. And 20 dollars for a new sound card. I think it's do-able. But let's not forget the 50 bucks for the game itself.

------------------
I resent that.
>>untie shoes
2004-07-16, 7:50 AM #88
What's your current video card?

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-16, 8:01 AM #89
You won't need the new sound card: Doom 3 handles the sound itself, without a sound card.

------------------
"The trick in life is not to find a way to make it perfect, it's to enjoy the good, strengthen your ability to deal with the bad, and keep your eyes looking forward to the good."
-Chelsea Brown
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2004-07-16, 8:52 AM #90
First of all, I have a Radeon 9500 128 MB AGP 8X. I know it's not bad, but I want power damnit! And as for my sound card, I know doom 3 can do it, but my sound card causes my awesome speakers to crackle. 6 dollar sound card, with creative labs suround sound speakers. Not a good combo.

------------------
I resent that.
>>untie shoes
2004-07-16, 9:48 AM #91
I wasn't aware the original Doom had a story, besides just "Hey, lets shoot random monsters and stuff. Yay." But whatever.

------------------
Moo.
Moo.
2004-07-16, 10:15 AM #92
Pay more attention [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-16, 12:04 PM #93
Doom III offcial site is live.

Go there now!!! www.doom3.com

------------------
2004-07-16, 1:20 PM #94
The story...

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You're a space marine, one of Earth's toughest, hardened in combat and trained for action. Three years ago you assaulted a superior officer for ordering his soldiers to fire upon civilians. He and his body cast were shipped to Pearl Harbor, while you were transferred to Mars, home of the Union Aerospace Corporation.

The UAC is a multi-planetary conglomerate with radioactive waste facilities on Mars and its two moons, Phobos and Deimos. With no action for fifty million miles, your day consisted of suckin' dust and watchin' restricted flicks in the rec room.

For the last four years the military, UAC's biggest supplier has used the remote facilities on Phobos and Deimos to conduct various secret projects, including research on inter-dimensional space travel. So far they have been able to open gateways between Phobos and Deimos, throwing a few gadgets into one and watching them come out the other. Recently however, the gateways have grown dangerously unstable. Military "volunteers" entering them have either disappeared or been stricken with a strange form of insanity -- babbling vulgarities, bludgeoning anything that breathes, and finally suffering an untimely death of full-body explosion. Matching heads with torsos to send home to the folks became a full-time job. Latest military reports state that the research is suffering a small setback, but everything is under control.

A few hours ago, Mars received a garbled message from Phobos. "We require immediate military support. Something fraggin' evil is coming out of the gateways! Computer systems have gone berserk!" The rest was incoherent. Soon afterwards, Deimos simply vanished from the sky. Since then, attempts to establish contact with either moon have been unsuccessful.

You and your buddies, the only combat troop for fifty million miles were sent up pronto to Phobos. You were ordered to secure the perimeter of the base while the rest of the team went inside. For several hours, your radio picked up the sounds of combat: guns firing, men yelling orders, screams, bones cracking, then finally silence. Seems your buddies are dead.

Things aren't looking too good. You'll never navigate off the planet on your own. Plus, all the heavy weapons have been taken by the assault team leaving you only with a pistol. If only you could get your hands around a plasma rifle or even a shotgun you could take a few down on your way out. Whatever killed your buddies deserves a couple of pellets in the forehead. Securing your helmet, you exit the landing pod. Hopefully you can find more substantial firepower somewhere within the station. As you walk through the main entrance of the base, you hear animal-like growls echoing throughout the distant corridors. They know you're here. There's no turning back now.</font>

Yes, there is a storyline. Doom 2 has more story-based objectives, like flicking the switch to allow humanity to leave the planet.

------------------
Wise men say that fools rush in where angels fear to tread, so look before you leap, so to speak, because the grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.

[This message has been edited by - Tony - (edited July 16, 2004).]
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-07-16, 1:26 PM #95
im ashamed to say i would need a new graphics card, processor and more ram to run it, i need £400

------------------
Here lies the body of speedy john, the motorbike stopped but he went on
nope.
2004-07-17, 8:04 AM #96
Has anyone seen the TechTV preview? All I can say is, holy crap, it had some amazing new stuff in it.

------------------
2004-07-17, 8:11 AM #97
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by A_Big_Fat_CoW:

</font>

You mean half-life was a complete ripoff of doom. I mean.. they even copied the concept of monsters spawning around you in green flashes of light.. the scientists turned into zombies... come on! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

The only thing that really made half-life's story different is it's being set in contemporary time and on earth.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

↑ Up to the top!