Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → It's a beauitful day to be an athiest
It's a beauitful day to be an athiest
2007-04-09, 6:25 PM #41
For a large portion of my childhood I was actually under the delusion that rabbits laid eggs.

I was also under the delusion that god existed. :awesome:
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-04-09, 7:13 PM #42
Originally posted by Emon:
Imon, umon...everymon!

2007-04-09, 8:09 PM #43
For a large portion of my childhood I was actually under the delusion that rabbits laid eggs.

I was also under the delusion that god existed. :awesome:

I believe that the internet exists and that all the people that I meet on it are real people and not simply computer programs.

I guess I'm delusional at believing what I percieve to be true. Oh well.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-04-09, 8:24 PM #44
Originally posted by Glyde Bane:
I believe that the internet exists and that all the people that I meet on it are real people and not simply computer programs.

I guess I'm delusional at believing what I percieve to be true. Oh well.

:downs:

Believing in god is okay, but trying to rationalize it is stupid. The perception of people being real is backed by a lot of evidence, the perception of god is not.
2007-04-09, 10:39 PM #45
i'm not real
2007-04-09, 10:55 PM #46
How do I know you are all not just delusions inside my own mind? I am the only sentience in the universe; the entire universe and everything within it (including you people; the fake sentiences) are of my mind's creation. Damn, I'm smart.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-04-10, 4:55 AM #47
You must hate yourself, if you created us.
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-04-10, 5:04 AM #48
Originally posted by Jon`C:
i'm not real

Jon'C you have to be real because you are perfect and one of the requirements for perfection is existence and thus you exist.

Lol I also just proved that God exists whoooooaaa
Stuff
2007-04-10, 5:26 AM #49
...and that God is Jon'C. :awesome:
幻術
2007-04-10, 3:16 PM #50

Believing in god is okay, but trying to rationalize it is stupid. The perception of people being real is backed by a lot of evidence, the perception of god is not.

I was giving an example. You can't tell someone they're delusional for believing something that cannot be disproven, even if it can't be proven.

If they were thinking of something easily disprovable, like Ice Cream not having any milk in it, then they would be delusional.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-04-10, 3:21 PM #51
You can't tell someone they're delusional for believing something that cannot be disproven, even if it can't be proven.

Why the hell not? Your example doesn't even make sense anyway, since the existence of other people is easily falsifiable.
2007-04-10, 3:24 PM #52
A delusion is a false belief. The belief in god isn't a false one because it has never proven to be false.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-04-10, 4:03 PM #53
Glyde, don't bother. You can't explain faith to someone who has none.
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-04-10, 5:14 PM #54
I was giving an example. You can't tell someone they're delusional for believing something that cannot be disproven, even if it can't be proven.

If they were thinking of something easily disprovable, like Ice Cream not having any milk in it, then they would be delusional.
The point is your example is bad. There's nothing wrong with believing in God, but comparing faith in God with faith in something material is ridiculous because God is not evidenced (and, arguably, does not require evidence) while material things are and do.
2007-04-10, 8:06 PM #55
I was going for a totally 'out there' example, to show that ANYTHING could be made into a 'delusion'.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-04-10, 8:25 PM #56
A delusion is a false belief. The belief in god isn't a false one because it has never proven to be false.

:psyduck:
2007-04-11, 1:27 AM #57
Originally posted by Isuwen:
Glyde, don't bother. You can't explain faith to someone who has none.

I was baptized, raised and confirmed as Catholic. I know exactly what faith is, I used to have a lot of it.

Also, before children are indoctrinated, they have no faith, it gets explained to them. So not only is your jab unfounded and irrelevant, it also invokes logical fallacy.
2007-04-11, 1:30 AM #58
Originally posted by Jon`C:

YES I AGREE Jon`C. I DON'T REMEMBER WHO SAID THAT THING YOU QUOTED BUT WHOEVER IT WAS HE DOES NOT UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPTS OF LOGIC OR BURDEN OF PROOF OR POSSIBLY ANYTHING ELSE. I THINK HE IS DUMB AND IT WOULD BE PRUDENT TO AVOID SPEAKING TO OR ABOUT HIM FROM THIS POINT FORWARD.
2007-04-11, 1:31 AM #59
I was going for a totally 'out there' example, to show that ANYTHING could be made into a 'delusion'.

I believe that all people around me are pink unicorns in disguise. You cannot prove that you are not a pink unicorn, therefore my belief that you are a pink unicorn is valid. :downswords:
2007-04-11, 2:01 AM #60

Oh now this is brilliant logic.

I believe that I am in fact God. You cannot, in any way, prove otherwise. I could, of course, because I am God. But I will not because belief in me is a matter of faith. Do you have faith to believe I am God without me proving it to you? I'm guessing, nay, hoping not. After all, who in there right mind would believe that I am God?

Applying your logic here; am I delusional, or are you? Are we both? Neither of our viewpoints can be proven otherwise so, according to your logic, means we are both are right. Did I just divide by zero?

I could, by the way, because I'm God.
2007-04-11, 3:00 AM #61
Originally posted by Jin:

I believe that I am in fact God. You cannot, in any way, prove otherwise. I could, of course, because I am God. But I will not because belief in me is a matter of faith. Do you have faith to believe I am God without me proving it to you? I'm guessing, nay, hoping not. After all, who in there right mind would believe that I am God?

Applying your logic here; am I delusional, or are you? Are we both? Neither of our viewpoints can be proven otherwise so, according to your logic, means we are both are right. Did I just divide by zero?

We could kill you and see if you die >.>
2007-04-11, 3:21 AM #62
They tried the same with Jesus, doesn't prove anything :awesome:
2007-04-11, 3:24 AM #63
I am teh blind watchmaker...RAWRs...!
2007-04-11, 4:20 AM #64
Quote:
We should rename it 'A bunch of stupid bigots bashing on Christianity'. Those are the only religious discussions that happen here. "Christians are stupid hurr".

Wikissassi sucks.
2007-04-11, 4:24 AM #65
Quote:
Did I just divide by zero?

God cannot divide by zero. He could, however, conceivably change the very laws of the universe, and make dividing by zero possible. But then we wouldn't be very impressed with him dividing by zero anymore.

It is an error to consider that God cannot do the impossible as a limitation on his powers.
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-04-11, 4:46 AM #66
dividing to zero equals infinity. I win :psyduck:
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2007-04-11, 4:51 AM #67
Firstly, being unable to calculate 1/0 isn't a law of the universe, it's a law of mathematics. If I divide an apple by zero, I still have an apple. The equation doesn't mean anything and the universe isn't broken.

Secondly, I used the expression figuratively. I was attempting to illustrate the fact that Glyde's logic didn't make sense, and created a paradoxical situation. By saying "Did I just divide by zero?" I was effectively saying "Did I just achieve nothing?"

And then I ended my post with a superfluous comment that was merely an attempt at humour. You know, "haha!" and so forth.

I never insinuated that I cannot do the impossible, and I'll thank you not to accuse me of being unable to divide things in my own damn universe by any number I so choose. P.S. that was the "haha!" thing again.
2007-04-11, 6:06 AM #68
Could God microwave a burrito so hot that even He could not eat it?

This is an important question; I heated up a burrito the other day and burned my tongue on it.
Stuff
2007-04-11, 6:11 AM #69
Originally posted by kyle90:
Could God microwave a burrito so hot that even He could not eat it?

This is an important question; I heated up a burrito the other day and burned my tongue on it.

God has icy mountains for teeth and a river on his tongue. Nothing can be too hot for him. He is the holy frozen wonder. He is God.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2007-04-11, 7:58 AM #70
I got this from the Easter wiki page:

Quote:
n the Czech Republic, Hungary and Slovakia, a tradition of spanking or whipping is carried out on Easter Monday. In the morning, males throw water at females and spank them with a special handmade whip called pomlázka (in Czech) or korbáč (in Slovak). The pomlázka/korbáč consists of eight, twelve or even twenty-four withies (willow rods), is usually from half a metre to two metres long and decorated with coloured ribbons at the end. It must be mentioned that spanking normally is not painfull or intended to cause suffering. A legend says that females should be spanked in order to keep their health and beauty during whole next year. An additional purpose can be for males to exhibit their attraction to females; unvisited females can even feel offended. Traditionally, the spanked female gives a coloured egg and sometimes a small amount of money to the male as a sign of her thanks. In some regions the females can get revenge in the afternoon or the following day when they can pour a bucket of cold water on any male. The habit slightly varies across Slovakia and the Czech Republic. A similar tradition existed in Poland (where it is called Dyngus Day), but it is now little more than an all-day water fight.

Sounds great, go throw some water and whip a hottie and she'll give you an easter egg :)
/fluffle
2007-04-11, 9:07 AM #71
I'll take some of that easter please.
nope.
2007-04-11, 9:17 AM #72
Yeah, this was supposed to be just about what you were doing Easter. Instead, you pricks turned it into a debate. Figures :rolleyes:
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2007-04-11, 9:20 AM #73
Anything to do with religion on these forums always ends like that. Generally because theres some **** that thinks "Hey, this guy believes in god, but I'm an athiest, therefore he's wrong and I'm going to tell him how wrong he is."

Cue that 'you can't prove/disprove faith' arguments.
nope.
2007-04-11, 9:49 AM #74
I think it's because BOTH sides can't leave well enough alone, Mr. Blame The Atheists.

If you'll notice, Emon made a statement about his beliefs.

I was also under the delusion that god existed.

And then, because of the way he phrased it, someone decided to tell him his opinion was wrong.

Guess what? These arguments happen because you're all jerks. Also, there's no religious forum anymore so all the discussions end up in random threads in the discussion forum. So...really, i guess...who cares, let it be and stop whining about it?
Warhead[97]
2007-04-11, 11:09 AM #75
Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
I think it's because BOTH sides can't leave well enough alone, Mr. Blame The Atheists.

This angry sentence voids the rest of your post, Mr. Angry Athiest.

And the way he worded it just about proves my point. :P
nope.
2007-04-11, 11:24 AM #76
Originally posted by Baconfish:
This angry sentence voids the rest of your post, Mr. Angry Athiest.

And the way he worded it just about proves my point. :P

dot
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2007-04-11, 12:48 PM #77
Easter is so retarded.

HEY TODAY LIKE 2000 YEARS AGO JESUS DIED AND CAME BACK TO LIFE AS A ZOMBIE.

*kids stare blankly*

LOOK CANDY AND COLORED PLASTIC EGGS!

*DAY IS SAVED*
2007-04-11, 1:02 PM #78
Originally posted by Sats:
I got this from the Easter wiki page:

Sounds great, go throw some water and whip a hottie and she'll give you an easter egg :)

Just today I was hearing a story about a friend of a friend who was in Prague over Easter and got spanked. I guess this is why. :D

Also,
Attachment: 15991/god.jpg (39,299 bytes)
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2007-04-11, 1:39 PM #79

I was baptized, raised and confirmed as Catholic. I know exactly what faith is, I used to have a lot of it.

Also, before children are indoctrinated, they have no faith, it gets explained to them. So not only is your jab unfounded and irrelevant, it also invokes logical fallacy.

I was too young to remember what I was told when I was baptized because I was baptized as a two year old.

Sorry, but your experiences don't apply to everyone else in the world.

Originally posted by Jin:

Thanks for using another awesome example around the same lines as mine. Yours also can be disproven by physical evidence. Faith cannot.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-04-11, 1:48 PM #80
Wait, so am I right in thinking that the only reason people believe in God is that "you can't disprove his existence"? Because, while true, that's a pretty silly reason to believe in something, but it's the only argument I'm seeing.

Come on, you guys must have SOME reason to believe in God but not in other things that can't be disproven (such as magical invisible fairies or the flying spaghetti monster).
Stuff

↑ Up to the top!