Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Jedi Knight Source Release Petition
Jedi Knight Source Release Petition
2007-04-17, 9:23 AM #81
I remember petitioning LucasArts to put the console game "Obi-wan" on the PC. That paid off.

Not.

:rolleyes:
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2007-04-17, 9:25 AM #82
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
Oh yeah. And there you go.

Er, JO does play alot different than JK. Numerous changes.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-04-17, 10:30 AM #83
Originally posted by Echoman:
Er, JO does play alot different than JK. Numerous changes.

The most notable being that it's better. :v:

I'd replay JK if it had a proper overhaul, not just a 2.0 engine or model pack. I think those huge open areas in JK could look absolutely sexual with some DX9 love.
I really can't see the point of wanting the source code. I vaguely remember my jaunts at editing back in the day and they were not pleasant. "Half-baked" might be an appropriate term for the engine. But it has to be said, the best user-made materials look absolutely phenomenal in comparison to LEC's stuff. I wouldn't call that being lazy.
2007-04-17, 10:32 AM #84
I'd call it dumb though.

What a waste of talent.
2007-04-17, 1:33 PM #85
Originally posted by Rob:
I'd call it dumb though.

What a waste of talent.

Nah. It's something to do in their spare time, and something to put their skills to use in. It helps develop artistic skills they would need in game design and stuff.

Sure they could do it in something else, but they aren't doing it for just you. Some folks still like to see new innovations in JK. I'd much rather play JK MP than JO/JA.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-04-17, 2:04 PM #86
Spending three hours to FAKE lighting you could arrange in 20 minutes in QUAKE II is retarded.
2007-04-17, 6:02 PM #87
I still enjoy playing and editing JK. Does that make me a bad person?
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2007-04-17, 6:04 PM #88
Originally posted by TheCarpKing:

Yes. In addition to playing JK, you eat babies and use kittens for golf balls :colbert:
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-04-17, 6:34 PM #89
Originally posted by JediKirby:
No, he's 100% right. There's like 3 people that still play JK that are worth any snot. You should see what it's really like.

Sure that's true, but the only reason for that is that those 3 people are the only 3 people stupid enough to enjoy each other's company. But that leaves the rest of us sitting around wishing there were non-stupid people to play with.

I'd play if I knew even 3 other people on Massassi that would get their heads out of their self-righteous butts and play. It's kind of an elitist mentality. "I've got much better things to do with my time then play Jedi Knight" actually equals "I want Jon`C to like me so I'm not going to play Jedi Knight."

It's no real secret that Jon`C and I aren't the best of friends, and the main reason I don't particularily like him is because he perpetuates this elitist attitude in Massassi.

Anyway, you guys wonder why there's no one cool around that plays JK? Because you elitist bastards SCARE THEM ALL AWAY! So, congratulations guys. You just scared away another person actually interested in the game who wasn't a retard.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2007-04-17, 6:55 PM #90
I've found decent people playing JA most times on xfire, but I haven't tinkered with JK in a while.

Nobody on #massassi plays anymore, so where would I go, anyway? The Zone?
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2007-04-17, 7:08 PM #91
I remember creating a similar thread for the JK source code to be released a few years ago, but I stupidly called it the JK SDK, which is entirely different and technically already out (ex. JED). I didn't know what I was doing. It just sounded good. GIVE US FREEDOM, LEC!

Originally posted by RichWhitehouse:
I'll be going through some producer contacts to see what we can do, . . .

Who are these producers?
2007-04-17, 8:24 PM #92
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
It's no real secret that Jon`C and I aren't the best of friends

Really? Damn skip, you take things too seriously.

There are decent people who still play JK, and you'll find pretty much all of them in #jkhub.

Everybody else is an ex-zoner ****heel. The Zone JK rooms have been shut down for a long time, so most of them congregate on ZiRC in #nar, #sm, #df2jk, #jk or some combination thereof. It's worth mentioning that these people intentionally followed #massassi during its move from holonet in order to harass us. When I say that most of the people who still play JK are terrible I am not saying it to be a prick. It's true. Horribly horribly true.
2007-04-17, 8:41 PM #93
I hate Jon'C as well. But he's still correct.
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-04-18, 6:34 AM #94
Originally posted by Alan:
I've found decent people playing JA most times on xfire, but I haven't tinkered with JK in a while.

Nobody on #massassi plays anymore, so where would I go, anyway? The Zone?

#jkhub

Beef's Hyperbola CTF is the 'thing' right now.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-04-18, 6:57 AM #95
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Really? Damn skip, you take things too seriously.
Heh, no really I don't. I guess I should have said that we "don't get along" *shrug* Doesn't really bother me much.

Anyway, that said, you made a lot of valid points, and I don't disagree that you're a smart guy and you know what you're talking about. You just use your intelligence like a weapon to make others feel bad about themselves (either intentionally or unintentionally I don't know).
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2007-04-18, 9:49 AM #96
Originally posted by Jon`C:
It's worth mentioning that these people intentionally followed #massassi during its move from holonet in order to harass us.

Actually, the reason #jk moved to ZiRC was because Beef wanted to be in #jkhub without being on two different servers. Most of the people who were out to harass you were against the move. That channel has since been abandoned, and now those who frequented it have moved to #narshaddaa on Gamesurge.net, #jk on EnterTheGame.com, or in most cases, both. ReT has not shown his face in either place for months. Of course, games are also rare.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2007-04-18, 9:52 AM #97
#nar did follow #massassi in order to harrass though.
nope.
2007-04-18, 10:20 AM #98
Originally posted by Echoman:
The thing is, when did LucasArts release anything free like that in the past?

It's LucasArts after all.

Lucasarts is much better to the community than other non-video game franchises. Just try getting any tools at all for a Marvel game.
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2007-04-18, 10:30 AM #99
Quake3 is already available under GPL. Raven has released code for Doom and Quake-based projects following id's release of code. Raven's studio head has stated that the reason they have not considered releasing JO/JA code is the involvement of LucasArts.

Still man. Raven released the code to some of the dlls. Just enough to make mods. Nowhere near enough to physically do something different with JO/JA. And to boot, none of the physics or SP code was released, so it makes little difference.
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2007-04-18, 1:32 PM #100
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
Sure that's true, but the only reason for that is that those 3 people are the only 3 people stupid enough to enjoy each other's company. But that leaves the rest of us sitting around wishing there were non-stupid people to play with.

I'd play if I knew even 3 other people on Massassi that would get their heads out of their self-righteous butts and play. It's kind of an elitist mentality. "I've got much better things to do with my time then play Jedi Knight" actually equals "I want Jon`C to like me so I'm not going to play Jedi Knight."

It's no real secret that Jon`C and I aren't the best of friends, and the main reason I don't particularily like him is because he perpetuates this elitist attitude in Massassi.

Anyway, you guys wonder why there's no one cool around that plays JK? Because you elitist bastards SCARE THEM ALL AWAY! So, congratulations guys. You just scared away another person actually interested in the game who wasn't a retard.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees that. You wrote out what I wanted to say, but I felt that time was better spent not talking to a brick wall.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2007-04-18, 1:51 PM #101
Amen brotha
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-04-18, 1:59 PM #102
I'm sorry we can't cator to the crowd that still watches DragonballZ and makes gay jokes every 10 seconds.

If you don't like it, start your own community. Oh wait, that didn't work. :P

(Like serious though. We should just dedicate the site to a NEW GAME. Unreal or something would be cool)
2007-04-18, 2:03 PM #103
Meh. There was Republic Commando (which actually had an editor available for editing). Really, Massassi will probably be just a community at best.

Group hug!
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-04-18, 6:34 PM #104
Originally posted by Rob:
I'm sorry we can't cator to the crowd that still watches DragonballZ and makes gay jokes every 10 seconds.

If you don't like it, start your own community. Oh wait, that didn't work. :P

Recently I unignored Rob, and now I remember why I did it in the first place. People who get their kicks from trying to come up with insults on forums do not hurt my or anyone else's feelings, they simply piss me off because of how pathetic and lame they are. Rob, no one gives a rat's *** what people like you say to them on the forums, however, what they do care about is how ****ing ignorant you can be, and how your posts seem to do nothing other than waste space.

Honestly, you don't know me, and I've already made assumptions about you, but I choose not to fight back, because it would only be submitting myself to hypocrisy.

Furthermore, whether or not I watch, or previously watched Dragonball Z, I do not see how that is relative to anything, and the fact that you hold on to that to use as your crutch in one of your little flame wars, only shows how weak your argumentative skills actually are.

Finally, I never tried to 'create a community' so that part of your post was also irrelevant.

[Edit] And since when did using gay and retarded in a derogatory manner become accepted on these boards? Last I recall it was against forum policy.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2007-04-18, 7:10 PM #105
Why cant we just remake it to the JA engine? Less hassle and more ragdoll!
2007-04-18, 7:35 PM #106
I signed it...for what its worth...which is nothing.

Originally posted by Emon:
...and Perl for the stupid ones. :v:

Wait, what?
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2007-04-18, 7:38 PM #107
Haha I like that it took three pages for someone to notice that.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-04-18, 7:47 PM #108
It took three pages before I noticed this thread.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2007-04-18, 8:17 PM #109
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
Recently I unignored Rob, and now I remember why I did it in the first place.

Okay.

Quote:
People who get their kicks from trying to come up with insults on forums do not hurt my or anyone else's feelings, they simply piss me off because of how pathetic and lame they are.

Am I wrong to think that anger is a feeling? And I'm making you angry, OVER INTERNET, I think that qualifies as atleast manipulating your feelings.

Quote:
Rob, no one gives a rat's *** what people like you say to them on the forums, however, what they do care about is how ****ing ignorant you can be, and how your posts seem to do nothing other than waste space.

Durr it's my opinion. I don't care what you think? I've been in all the rooms listed above. And I've watched how you and other people act. You make gay jokes every 10 seconds. It's like a highschool locker room, ON THE INTERNET. Like you guys didn't have friends enough in highschool to get all the trash talk out of your system then. It's pathetic. PS, you guys aren't any better than we are. I've seen you trash new people way harsher than we do. Where as atleast we start out in good fun, you guys just call every new person that doesn't kiss your *** a "***." and then ban them. Real mature.

Like Joncy said, you guys make playing JK the suck.

Now, for your benefit, AND EVERYONE ****ING ELSES, I'm going to POST the definition of "ignorant." I want you to pay SPECIAL attention to how it ISN'T A SYNONYM FOR RUDE. Sorry for the all caps. But you guys are ruining english with this crap.

ig·no·rant [ig-ner-uhnt]
–adjective

1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
3. uninformed; unaware.
4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

If you're going to use an adjective to describe my e-behavior atleast use the right one. You and everyone else your age needs to read a dictionary. Now.

Quote:
Honestly, you don't know me,

Because I've never met you in real life? Please. You put more than enough information about yourself on the internet than you think. Through posts, links, chatrooms.

Based on the way you and your e-buddies conduct themselves I've made the judgement that you're horrible people. Oh well for you.

Quote:
and I've already made assumptions about you, but I choose not to fight back, because it would only be submitting myself to hypocrisy.

So you can judge me but I can't judge you?

PS, good just not fighting back Mohandas Hypocrandi.

Quote:
Furthermore, whether or not I watch, or previously watched Dragonball Z, I do not see how that is relative to anything,

I mentioned it because of this startling trend I noticed. The majority of people that like DBZ are terrible homophobes and terrible people in general. But hey, thats just an observation.

Quote:
and the fact that you hold on to that to use as your crutch in one of your little flame wars, only shows how weak your argumentative skills actually are.

Note that my comments weren't directly solely at you. Sorry, but you just that important on the internet. I was talking about everyone in the not #massassi crowd.

Quote:
Finally, I never tried to 'create a community' so that part of your post was also irrelevant.

I never inferred that you did. Like I said, I was talking about THE ENTIRE NOT #MASSASSI crowd.

Quote:
[Edit] And since when did using gay and retarded in a derogatory manner become accepted on these boards? Last I recall it was against forum policy.

Where did I use gay as an insult? Thats more of a you and your people thing.

I mean, I might make anal jokes at certain people, but if thats suddenly against the rules than the whole man-train thing should be too.

But seriously. I forgot the Internet was for SERIOUS BUSINESS.
2007-04-18, 8:24 PM #110
Joncy plays Eve?

Is there even a JK community these days? It seems as if people stick around Massassi/whatever other fansites there are left just to harass each other and talk about other games :gbk:
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2007-04-18, 8:54 PM #111
there is still a JK community out there all of 3 clans, a dedicated server, and a editing site but thats pretty much it

after jkdf2 shutdown everything pretty much fell apart and ive kinda seen a turnaround after our site opened up, ive seen people comming out on other sites like lucasforums asking about the game and joining us in a game or 2. what makes it funny is that people still edit dark forces and its kinda funny thinking that dark forces will outlive JK and MotS
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2007-04-18, 11:23 PM #112
Quote:
Meh. There was Republic Commando (which actually had an editor available for editing). Really, Massassi will probably be just a community at best.

It's like I made a thread about it and a lot of people took it seriously. :downs:

Anyhow, I don't think Massassi is ever going to focus on another game anymore. In fact, Massassi died in 2004 and now the chat and forums are only things that are left of it. Hm.
2007-04-19, 4:58 AM #113
Besides, who wants to play JK when you can play Gears of War instead?
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-04-19, 5:13 AM #114
Originally posted by Isuwen:
Besides, who wants to play JK when you can play Gears of War instead?

Because Gears is a bugged out piece of lag?

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-04-19, 5:24 AM #115
Gears of War looks like a beautiful and neat forget-the-brains adventure, and it felt like it when I tested it on this expo last November. Not that I'd get a XBox 360 just for it, tho' :)
2007-04-19, 6:54 AM #116
Originally posted by TheCarpKing:

Haha, I feel the same way around here. :)
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2007-04-19, 7:10 AM #117
I'll begin this by saying that as multiplayer programmer on JK2:JO and JK:JA, I've been trying ever since the Quake3 source release to get Ravensoft to put the engine code out for both games. Generally the best I've been able to get from anyone is that they can't due to the LucasArts involvement.

As such, it seems like the most prudent thing would be to petition LucasArts concerning the release of the Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II engine code. That is a simpler scenario, due to the involvement of only one central organization. Once that is done, it becomes a much more reasonable goal to work on getting the JK2:JO/JK:JA code released. In addition to that, a lot of things could be done with the source release of the original Jedi Knight, particularly in the realm of faithful ports to other platforms. I personally would love to get my hands on it and do some homebrew console ports.

I'm sure attempts at this have been made before, but if we can actually get enough support on this petition, I think I may be able get contacts for the right people over at LucasArts so that they can read it and get the ball rolling. So, I hope you can all offer your support by signing and getting this petition seen by others in the Jedi Knight communities.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/jkcoderelease/

Thanks,
Rich

Alright, let me begin by saying, that contrary to the majority of opinion here, efforts like this are positive and should be reinforced by the community, so I thank you for your effort here.

Although unlikely, the possibility of the release of the Jedi Knight Source Code by LucasArts to the public domain would be a huge step - one that would significantly increase the chances of someone that had the nessecary programming skillset to put the effort into rework the Sith engine in such a way that would attract new and old players alike to the Jedi Knight realm. The main problems I see with anything related to programming based efforts to revive Jedi Knight is that:

1) The majority of programmers who would be willing to put time and effort into such a project lack fundemental skills nessecary to reach completion - this is not an insult, but simply a reflection of what occured with the Sith2 project. The presence of experienced or willing physics coders was apparently absent, which either contributed to or was solely responsible for the abandonment of the project. I don't presume to know the exact facts in this case, all I know is that this was cited when the Sith2 project was shut down. Ask Jon`C. ;)

2) Even if there were/are individuals present in the JK community who had the nessecary skills to do something that would have a high chance of reviving the Jedi Knight community, they do not have the time to, do not have enough motivation to(begin, or complete), or simply do not wish to.

Referencing names would be pointless, but rest assured that in the least couple years I put effort into trying to solicit the cooperation/assistance of many capable individuals toward the common goal of reviving Jedi Knight. I felt, as I still do, that folks who were actively involved in project that would have a significant contribution to JK's player base should be reinforced as much as possible, because such efforts were so uncommon. I had put my faith in many projects - Sith2, Jedi Knight Enhanced, JKLauncher, the promised cooperation of people who offered their assistance in the contruction of a Jedi Knight lobby system, etc, etc, it goes on. As we all know, the only success in the last couple of years has been Shred's amazing project, Jedi Knight Enhanced, which was completed despite initial setbacks Shred encountered when attempting to cooperate with other capable individuals who were more interested in getting their way in regards to miniscule aspects of the project than cooperating with someone who was willing to actually put effort into such. So, props to Shred for rising above the inadequacies of certain people involved in the initial "Jedi Knight Rebirth" project. The result of the project more than showed to the community that JediKirby was nothing more than a whiny bigot, and that Shred was clearly far more assertive and intelligent than his shorter wannabe competitor.

Conflict aside, the lack of assertiveness, successful mediation, cooperation, and adequate effort undoubtedly led to the demise of Jedi Knight.
2007-04-19, 8:14 AM #118
Here are the reasons that it's not worth anyone's time to get this source code released.

1. There are better games out there.

2. As several people have said already, it's not worth it because the engine is a mess of garbage.

What is the big deal with just forgetting about it?

EDIT: And who is this eloquent guy? I've only seen like 2 posts by him, and I already think he's a douche bag. Kirby is a bigot?
>>untie shoes
2007-04-19, 8:28 AM #119
Hey Eloquent, which site did you copy and paste from?

2007-04-19, 8:35 AM #120
Originally posted by Antony:
EDIT: And who is this eloquent guy? I've only seen like 2 posts by him, and I already think he's a douche bag. Kirby is a bigot?

Who do you think he is? He's ret.

↑ Up to the top!