Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What knife do you carry?
What knife do you carry?
2007-04-16, 7:23 PM #41
What if you need to stab something? Stabbing isn't an action that can only be performed on humans. It helps to have a sharp point so you can stab into something to begin a cut in the middle somewhere. Or, as pointed out, you can eat with it instead of a fork.
Warhead[97]
2007-04-16, 7:32 PM #42
Originally posted by Greenboy:
If you're going to carry a knife with the intention of it being useful, maybe you shouldnt carry ones designed for stabbing? Leathermans, swiss army knives, and such make sense. A knife designed for a variety of uses, or in the case of a rigging knife, one very specific use. But a knife that flips out super fast and has a nice sharp pointy end? That doesn't make much sense at all. But I forgot, people need weapons to make them feel like big important men. :v:

Nope. I feel like a big important man even when I'm naked. Especially when I'm naked.

I need a weapon in case something bad happens. I thought everyone knew that.

As a nice side benefit, knives have more uses than guns. Also, you'd be surprised how many of the knives that look like scary killer knives weren't designed for such and wouldn't be good at it. A knife on a locking leatherman will kill someone as dead as most knives. Your post is a great example of the "it looks scary its bad" mentality.

[http://www.jtknives.com/images/on3s.jpg]

THAT is a killing knife. Despite how much I hate it digging into my side the thing is a beast I would not be without.

Most knife gurus will tell you that folders (most the knives posted) are terrible for defense or offense. That's because they're nutcases who think everyone should carry around a 6 inch fixed blade, but they have a point.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2007-04-16, 7:35 PM #43
As long as we can all agree that Leathermans are the best thing ever. :colbert:

The $80 I spent on my Leatherman Wave is pretty much the best purchase I've ever made; it's so useful.

Originally posted by Spook:
...but they have a point.

:awesome:
Stuff
2007-04-16, 7:36 PM #44
Originally posted by kyle90:
As long as we can all agree that Leathermans are the best thing ever. :colbert:

The $80 I spent on my Leatherman Wave is pretty much the best purchase I've ever made; it's so useful.

Sooth.

I need to get mine fixed, actually, went through some SERIOUS abuse...
2007-04-16, 7:36 PM #45
The invisible kind.
D E A T H
2007-04-16, 7:40 PM #46
[http://www.menkaapois.net/gm/images/thumbs/thumb_1176777597.jpg]

The best thing i got from my ex
Last edited by mb; today at 10:55 AM.
2007-04-16, 8:21 PM #47
Gerber Paraframe II, Serrated Edge
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2007-04-16, 8:24 PM #48
I always liked that knife. One of my friends has one like it. They're very nice and light, but they feel solid...plus they look cool.
Warhead[97]
2007-04-16, 8:30 PM #49
Originally posted by Greenboy:
If you're going to carry a knife with the intention of it being useful, maybe you shouldnt carry ones designed for stabbing? Leathermans, swiss army knives, and such make sense. A knife designed for a variety of uses, or in the case of a rigging knife, one very specific use. But a knife that flips out super fast and has a nice sharp pointy end? That doesn't make much sense at all. But I forgot, people need weapons to make them feel like big important men. :v:

Not my fault that the definition of "utility knife" includes this:

[https://www.kabar.com/images/1217_large.jpg]

Yeah, I own that.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2007-04-16, 8:30 PM #50
EXCALIBUR
2007-04-16, 8:30 PM #51
Its a lock back utility knife just like this except in silver rather than black.
Attachment: 16031/knife.JPG (3,929 bytes)
"It sounds like an epidemic."
"Look, I don't know what that means. But it happens all the time." - Penny Arcade
Last.fm
2007-04-16, 8:31 PM #52
Nope. I feel like a big important man even when I'm naked. Especially when I'm naked.

I need a weapon in case something bad happens. I thought everyone knew that.

As a nice side benefit, knives have more uses than guns. Also, you'd be surprised how many of the knives that look like scary killer knives weren't designed for such and wouldn't be good at it. A knife on a locking leatherman will kill someone as dead as most knives. Your post is a great example of the "it looks scary its bad" mentality.

THAT is a killing knife. Despite how much I hate it digging into my side the thing is a beast I would not be without.

Most knife gurus will tell you that folders (most the knives posted) are terrible for defense or offense. That's because they're nutcases who think everyone should carry around a 6 inch fixed blade, but they have a point.

A K-Bar is the only knife I would ever want to carry.
>>untie shoes
2007-04-16, 8:32 PM #53

Mister Stabby.

La la la la la laaa

Laaa la la la laaa it's Mister Stabby

La laa la la la laaa, la laaaa
2007-04-16, 8:38 PM #54
my knife. i carry it 99% of the time
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2007-04-16, 8:41 PM #55
So, how many of you actually know how to sharpen your knives? I sharpen mine by hand with a wet stone.

o.0
2007-04-16, 8:43 PM #56
I use a whetstone, or sometimes a sharpening steel.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-04-16, 8:43 PM #57
Originally posted by Antony:
A K-Bar is the only knife I would ever want to carry.

I think that's a [modified] bayonet and judging by it's size, or lack thereof it's an AR15/M16 bayonet.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2007-04-16, 8:44 PM #58
I haven't had to sharpen mine yet, but my dad has an electric wet sharpener at home that works quite well.
Stuff
2007-04-16, 8:55 PM #59
I usually carry this, when I'm not at school that is :ninja:
Attachment: 16033/knife0001.JPG (110,944 bytes)
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2007-04-16, 9:12 PM #60
i want a microtech halo III

[http://www.bladehq.com/images/knives/Microtech/microtechhalo3iiisatinserrated.jpg]

mainly because jack bauer uses it :-D. too bad its illegal to possess or carry in illinois...
2007-04-16, 9:12 PM #61
:v:
Attachment: 16034/800px-Benchmadeknife.jpg (17,614 bytes)
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2007-04-16, 9:25 PM #62
nice grip quesadilla.

if that's a grip. but i think it is.
2007-04-16, 10:04 PM #63
Originally posted by Commander 598:
I think that's a [modified] bayonet and judging by it's size, or lack thereof it's an AR15/M16 bayonet.

Current USMC bayonet for m16s.
2007-04-16, 10:28 PM #64
Heavy, but very useful.
[http://www.buckknives.com/images/uploads/med_730bkx.jpg]

In Michigan we can carry up to 3" concealed blades as long as they don't have a spring mechanism. Up until a year or two ago we were allowed to carry blades at my school too :awesome:
2007-04-17, 1:04 AM #65
I think I'd rather walk around without a knife where not that many people have knives rather than walk around with a knife where 80% of the population seem to be carrying them.
/fluffle
2007-04-17, 1:11 AM #66
Hmm, so many people could stab me to death in here! X_X

No knives here, I hope I won't ever need one.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-04-17, 1:57 AM #67
Leatherman. I always carry it with me when I leave this building (except when jogging). Damn convenient.

Like many others, I think, I got it while in the army. You can't begin to fathom how exceptionally marvelous it's over there unless you have been through something similar to such training.

Edit: The Finnish laws actually also forbid carrying with you at public places any objects whose primary function can be reasonably assumed to be to harm others. In that sense some things posted in this thread would be illegal to carry here.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2007-04-17, 7:39 AM #68
Originally posted by MFalse:
Its a lock back utility knife just like this except in silver rather than black.

That's the kind I have, too. Mine's a blue Kobalt, though. Very useful.
Warhead[97]
2007-04-17, 7:42 AM #69
I don't carry a knife. I don't see a point to it.

I've gone 22 years without needing one.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2007-04-17, 7:52 AM #70
I can't find the other one, but I got this one from a convenience store in St Petersburg for about $7.

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/DivineIQ/blade.jpg]
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2007-04-17, 8:11 AM #71
I go totally weaponless.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2007-04-17, 8:45 AM #72
I carry a Kershaw Chive...

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=41

It's really cool because you can do the one-handed open, it's sortof spring loaded like a switchblade but it's actually legal. I used to have the bigger one but it made my pants sag so I went to the small one.
2007-04-17, 8:46 AM #73
I carry a Swiss Army Super Tinker most of the time, but I have many different ones. I have a Ka-Bar fighting knife that I take when I go camping (hiking), a Leatherman Wave that I used at work until this week when I left it under the hood of a customer's car (this sucks because it was the old style and I do not like the new style), etc. Different knife for every purpose I suppose.

Some of you Brits seem to think that just because you carry a knife you're going to stab someone. Is that what you nuts are like? If so I might just have to change my mind about visiting your island kingdom. How do you manage to get through a dinner without bloodshed?
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2007-04-17, 8:55 AM #74
Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
What if you need to stab something? Stabbing isn't an action that can only be performed on humans. It helps to have a sharp point so you can stab into something to begin a cut in the middle somewhere. Or, as pointed out, you can eat with it instead of a fork.

I'll be honest, I've never came across a situation when I had to stab something that my keys wouldn't go through. And I've never had to ever eat with a knife or fork at a time where there wasn't one available.

I've only ever carried a knife when hiking/camping.

Oh, and to the post above. Knive you get at a dinner table generally aren't that sharp. Unless ofcourse it's a Steak knife.
nope.
2007-04-17, 9:23 AM #75
I think about 50% of the time I've used my knife have been opening those damn plastic packages that stuff always comes in. Another 15% probably is opening boxes (keys work here sometimes, unless it's heavy duty tape in which case I'm glad I hav ea knife). The rest is miscellaneous stuff....I'll admit, like I said before, that while I'm in school I basically never use my knife. But over the summer I end up using it almost every day.

But I am with you guys about the way most of those knives look...they're cool, but they LOOK like weapons. That's why I carry a boxknife instead...strangely enough, people around here think that's weirder than carrying a buck knife, hah.
Warhead[97]
2007-04-17, 10:16 AM #76
I have a swiss army knife that I don't carry around with me and am always losing. I never really used it anyway.

I do like my little multitool that I keep in my desk. (It says Precision Craft on it, but I can't find any company by that name that sells multitools). It's about the size of a playing card and about half a centimeter thick. It's got a little two-inch, half-serated knife, a low power magnifying glass, two tiny screwdrivers (philips and flathead), a nifty LED light, and rulers in cm and inches along the sides. The screwdrivers have proven very useful
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-04-17, 10:51 AM #77
Spyderco Butterfly.
It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow too fond of it. - Robert E. Lee
2007-04-17, 1:38 PM #78
A portion of my collection:

A Sigarms SP2009 9mm, a Benchmade Nimravus, a Granfors-Bruks handforged tomahawk, and my old has-seen-better-days Kershaw 1550 auto-open. All of the blades are sharp enough to shave with.
[http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/stevenvaladez/steel/1.jpg]
[http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/stevenvaladez/steel/2.jpg]
[http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/stevenvaladez/steel/3.jpg]
[http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/stevenvaladez/steel/4.jpg]
2007-04-17, 3:47 PM #79
Sig FTW. :)
woot!
2007-04-17, 3:56 PM #80
I am a completely unarmed man :(
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.

↑ Up to the top!