Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Sith Engine SDK Petition Proposal
Sith Engine SDK Petition Proposal
2004-07-20, 5:27 PM #41
/me is in

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-07-20, 6:49 PM #42
Don't get me wrong, I would love to play with the source myself. See how things are done. Learn some DX/OGL programming along the way. DRASTICALLY improve the graphics.

But alas, I doubt you will ever ever get the engine. I had to get clarification on the term "engine." Lucas will actually make a good movie before releasing Sith Engine code.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-07-20, 6:50 PM #43
Even if you could get a license of that engine, updating that sucker is like trying to turn a canoe into a starship. That is going to be a LOT of work needed to update a nearly 7 year old game.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://geocities.com/savagex378
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-07-20, 6:57 PM #44
anyone up for stealing the source code? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-07-20, 7:14 PM #45
if some one stole it and relased it what could Lucas do besides punish the theif? (f they got caught) forgive me if i'm breaking any rules with this post but theoreticaly (sp?) couldn't some one just hak into they're comp . d/l it ,and relaese it?

I'm no hacker so it might be impossible. But if it isn't shouldn't we give it a
try?

------------------
2004-07-20, 7:28 PM #46
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BoRnOfFiRe:
if some one stole it and relased it what could Lucas do besides punish the theif? (f they got caught) forgive me if i'm breaking any rules with this post but theoreticaly (sp?) couldn't some one just hak into they're comp . d/l it ,and relaese it?

I'm no hacker so it might be impossible. But if it isn't shouldn't we give it a
try?

</font>

Ummm....no. And I bet they could do a thing or two with you if they caught you hacking there computers and/or found you with their source code.

Besides, what makes you think a site touchy about warez would support such a thing?

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by SG1_129 (edited July 20, 2004).]
2004-07-20, 7:54 PM #47
it was meant as a joke. (hence the [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] )

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-07-20, 8:38 PM #48
I think SG's response wasnt directed at you Page.

We could always use the MBS... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)

B'tduz: A popular dwarfish game which consists of standing a few feet apart and throwing large rocks at one another's head.

"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!" - His Grace His Excellency the Duke of Ankh, Commander Sir Samuel Vimes.

Morituri Nolumus Mori
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)
Morituri Nolumus Mori
2004-07-20, 9:17 PM #49
If LEC was as persistance as Valve was with their issue with source code being hacked, I wouldn't consider doing it if I were you, [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
2004-07-20, 9:25 PM #50
Lucas's company sued a medical product company for making a scapal with a light of some kind, and calling it a "light saber."

They'd find a way to ruin you so far beyond your wildest imaginings.

I never edited JK, but I'd sign.

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-07-21, 2:42 AM #51
Well, I know how all of you guys love JK and the Sith engine so much. But think, the quake2 engine is already released. Why don't some of us fiddle with that a bit. I mean we could make a game by all the massassians. We have plenty of great mappers and modelrs here. And I don't know to many coders, but I think freyr might me interested.

------------------
"Whats your name"
Cody
"No, whats your real name"
Arkon............
Proud member of the Co-op
Flipsides crackers are the best crackers to have ever existed
2004-07-21, 4:37 AM #52
I'd like to buy stock in LEC if they did that. It would show that they had a brain in there some where. But instead they'll look at us quizzically and tell us to but their latest console .game which was ported to PC, only you are forced to use a game pad or a joystick. It also would run at max resolution of 1042x720
2004-07-21, 4:45 AM #53
i'm putting my name down.

but i'll remind you all when it ake over the world i'll relice it anyway :-P

------------------
I am Darth PJB!
well, go on, run away!

i have a plastic lightsaber and a jedi cape.. am i a nerd?

If gravity is a crule mistress, and bar tenders with bad grammar are untrustworthy, what is air?
I am Darth PJB!
well, go on, run away!

If gravity is a crule mistress, and bar tenders with bad grammar are untrustworthy, what is air?
2004-07-21, 5:02 AM #54
It's times like these that we need to point the finger at that guy who didn't grab the laptop and run. yes you know who you are(although i've forgotten).

I know that LEC are hopeless when it comes to community-relations compared to almost every other game company, but why exactly do they hate Brian/massassi so much?

Eh.. I signed the last two or three petitions and I'd sign any more that came up.

I'm not sure how trying to buy the source code would go. Some guys who are making a game using the Tribes 2 engine tried to buy a half-developed engine owned by EA that EA had dropped in 2001. But EA just priced it way out of their league...

George Lucas will go to his grave with a death-grip on even the "classics" like Gungan Defender and Super Bombad Racing.
2004-07-21, 7:16 AM #55
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SithNazgul:
I think SG's response wasnt directed at you Page.

</font>

Yeah, it was directed towards BornOfFire, who seemed to take the idea quite seriously. (hence the quote)

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by SG1_129 (edited July 21, 2004).]
2004-07-21, 7:41 AM #56
Im in.

------------------
"The quality of the levels you make is determined by the skill of the person not by the editor in which they use!"
-Michael Kyle

MAK Studios 3D
2004-07-21, 7:53 AM #57
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Arkon11:
Well, I know how all of you guys love JK and the Sith engine so much. But think, the quake2 engine is already released.
interested.
</font>

because we either dont want to repogram our own minds with brushes insted of sectors, or we dont want to have to force a cog style scripting launghage on an engine that proebly wouldent like it one bit [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

allthough, i say if i ever invented a game engine and it got to being 6-7 years later and people where still discussing the idea of reliceing the sorce code on a forum and it got to two pages, i'd want it reliced. i mean come on, evan if someone did steal the code and use it to make there own game called the revenge of the mushrooms, somehow i dont see it being the largest hit ever, somehow...

------------------
I am Darth PJB!
well, go on, run away!

I am Darth PJB!
well, go on, run away!

2004-07-21, 9:24 AM #58
Sector-based editing sucks. I don't get why so many prefer it over Brush editing. You have so much more freedom with brushes than you do with sectors. Considering that most engines today use both methods of construction (Unreal uses subtraction brushes that are like sectors and lithtech uses brushes with face normals that can be reversed to create sector-style brushes), such a debate between the two is irrelevant now but still... I would rather create a room with four pillars by just stacking brushes than cleave the crap out of the room to create the "illusion" that there are four pillars and then having to cleave the surfaces to make the vertex lighting calculate properly. It is such a dirty mess that way. This is one of my biggest reasons that I gave up Jedi Knight editing.

-- SavageX

------------------
2004-07-21, 11:00 AM #59
Savage, you're right. I tried JK's sector editing once, and errr...... I hated it. I first started mapping for half-life, which was brush based. Now I'm doing JA (brush based) I think it's some much more sensable and fun.

------------------
"Whats your name"
Cody
"No, whats your real name"
Arkon............
Proud member of the Co-op
Flipsides crackers are the best crackers to have ever existed
2004-07-21, 11:48 AM #60
ive got some support at lucas forums...

------------------
It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed.
When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.
Join the Army, Go to distant lands, meet interesting people, kill them!

Don't draw fire, it irritates the people around you.
Intel: We put the 'um...' in Pentium
2004-07-21, 12:56 PM #61
I'm not debating, at all:

With the source, we can improve 3DOs to be more similar to brushes, and especially, improve the lighting calculations and such. With the source, we could make everything dynamic lighting. We could have the engine calculate and cleave the lights to perfection. We could even scrap JK's lights and remake the lighting alltogether. The possabilities are endless.

The main reason JK's source is more valuable than, say, Quake 2, is because after you've edited the engine up the wazoo, you've got cog. A scripting language that can do almost anything, anything within the limits of it's engine. You can't do that with Q2, you have to hardcode the engine every time you don't like how something works. Cog allows you to control every aspect at any time. Allowing for the engine to support vertually any gametype you can imagine. Not to mention, you wouldn't need to recode the engine for each gametype. After editing the engine to fit todays standards, it could be modded to do anything. Most importently, the engine could evolve with the times. The Sith engine is quite frankly one of the more revolutionary engines, even compaired to Doom3.

JediKirby

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-07-21, 2:01 PM #62
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
The Sith engine is quite frankly one of the more revolutionary engines, even compaired to Doom3.</font>

Um, don't get me wrong as I loved my time editing JK, but whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-07-21, 2:03 PM #63
Kirby: Who is your dealer? I need some of that stuff...

------------------
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-07-21, 2:03 PM #64
Jaiph, look in the dictionary. See 'JK fanboy'. (in other words, he's dilusional, dont worry about it)

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|My Portfolio|My Levels
2004-07-21, 2:12 PM #65
I'm with Ubuu.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-07-21, 2:21 PM #66
You know, it would be easier to just re-code the game from scratch than try to get LEC to release the source code. Why? because LEC is NEVER going to release the source.

On the subject, wasn't somebody making a re-write of the engine a while ago? I remember something in the cog forum about it. I'm guessing it died but it just shows that it's possible.

------------------
*Takes out his blaster and fires shots at the wall, the blastmarks leave the words "S-TROOPER WUZ 'ERE!!!"
2004-07-21, 2:21 PM #67
Jaiph wins.

I want to know too. This must be some new stuff on the market.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-07-21, 2:23 PM #68
I'll sign, but I don't expect the JK engine to look better than the D3 engine or HL2.

------------------
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-07-21, 2:24 PM #69
RIIIIIIGHT!!!!

------------------
This post was proudly brought to you by KegZ™ - Now with 38% more Spam
Rock is dead - but I believe in necrophilia.
2004-07-21, 2:28 PM #70
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stormtrooper:
On the subject, wasn't somebody making a re-write of the engine a while ago? I remember something in the cog forum about it. I'm guessing it died but it just shows that it's possible.</font>

Jon'C mentioned it before.

I'm under the impression that it would be easier to make a new engine that can read the old game files.

------------------
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2004-07-21, 2:46 PM #71
Errr, JK has some nice features for flexibility, namely that you can put your own code of any kind, including weapons, into a level and have it only run when the level is loaded. This is a freqent problem in say, JO or JA because you can't add new stuff without making it a mod.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-07-21, 3:09 PM #72
Sith Engine SDK (Scroll a bit)

As for the source...you're on your own [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
The Devious Server
2004-07-21, 3:46 PM #73
I doubt they'll release it. Why? Simply because they *could* be making money off upgrading the engine, but are too damn lazy to do it themselves.

We should instead start a collection to try to buy the source code. (AKA bribery). Everyone has their price... maybe.

You don't want to hear the other option. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
"Massassi's cuttin' into my free time, man."

Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited July 21, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-21, 6:16 PM #74
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
The Sith engine is quite frankly one of the more revolutionary engines, even compaired to Doom3.

</font>

How? I seriously doubt it was the first 3D portal rendering engine. Big deal, it's got a scripting language. I'd say it was a lot more revolutionary when Carmack began using BSP trees for levels. But, that's just me...

------------------

-Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by SG1_129 (edited July 21, 2004).]
2004-07-21, 6:18 PM #75
It sure was.

------------------
2004-07-21, 8:15 PM #76
Recreating the Sith-engine...

Well... where's the coding gods?

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-07-21, 8:21 PM #77
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Arkon11:
Savage, you're right. I tried JK's sector editing once, and errr...... I hated it. I first started mapping for half-life, which was brush based. Now I'm doing JA (brush based) I think it's some much more sensable and fun.

</font>

right. the only good thing about sector editing is that you usually dont have to worry about holes in the map (unless you accidentally delete a surface, in which case JK/MOTS will not load the level) , and long compile times.

------------------
2004-07-21, 8:44 PM #78
I'll sign but lemme say this: For those of you who have no faith. Leave. Massassi is not for you. No. You do not get your soul back.

------------------
Member of the Minnessassian Council
2004-07-21, 9:18 PM #79
I don't think anybody is considering making their own game, because that's a gargantuan project which would never be finished. But if we had the source code, members of the community could gradually add their own enhancements. After several years, the game would be something new and improved.

------------------
"Look at me! I'm Tracer! BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-07-21, 9:57 PM #80
I'd like to see a new lighting system, since JK's sucked from day 1 of release.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97

↑ Up to the top!