Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Creation?
Creation?
2007-06-19, 7:37 PM #1
Do you believe in creation/intelligent design, or do you subscribe to a sensible view, such as abiogenesis and evolution?

Yes this thread is an excuse to start a debate.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-06-19, 7:39 PM #2
Why?
2007-06-19, 7:40 PM #3
Because I'm bored. :saddowns:
2007-06-19, 7:47 PM #4
Originally posted by Emon:
Yes this thread is an excuse to start a debate.

You know what happened last time..with Alice Shade and all..
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-06-19, 7:51 PM #5
I won't lie, it was kind of entertaining. :awesome:
2007-06-19, 7:59 PM #6
I say we just re-read the SF_Gold threads. God i miss him.
2007-06-19, 8:16 PM #7
[http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/9036/evolutionlooprn2.jpg]
woot!
2007-06-19, 8:17 PM #8
I think the dense ones are the one not open minded enough to accept the fact that some people have different beliefs.

This thread can't go anywhere good.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-06-19, 8:23 PM #9
terrible thread
2007-06-19, 8:30 PM #10
[http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/4013/endthreadkj6.gif]
woot!
2007-06-19, 8:39 PM #11
Disclaimer- Massassi does not indorse the use of scissors nor does it indorce the act of using scissors. Do so at own risk. Any cuts are reportable to 989-MBS and will be "Fixed" Please do not soil the thread.
2007-06-19, 8:41 PM #12
What's really scary is 48% of Americans think evolution is false.

I find the Internet-savvy ones tend to be part of the 52%, though.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-06-19, 8:42 PM #13
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
Disclaimer- Massassi does not indorse the use of scissors nor does it indorce the act of using scissors. Do so at own risk. Any cuts are reportable to 989-MBS and will be "Fixed" Please do not soil the thread.

Inline spell checking: A new built-in spell checker enables users to quickly check the spelling of text entered into Web forms (like this one) without having to use a separate application.

[http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/4013/endthreadkj6.gif]
woot!
2007-06-19, 8:42 PM #14
Originally posted by Emon:
Because I'm bored. :saddowns:

Why not cut yourself instead? It would be less masochistic.

Also, for increased efficiency, lets skip to the end of the debate. Everyone who disagrees with me is stupid and wrong.
2007-06-19, 8:48 PM #15
This thread might have been masochistic three or four years ago, but these days, everyone here agrees. See poll.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-06-19, 8:57 PM #16
I don't see how creation and evolution have to be completely different concepts.
2007-06-19, 9:01 PM #17
They don't have to be mutually exclusive concepts. The importance lies in how you phrase the question.

If you phrase it: "do you believe evolution is false?," then you get to see who simply ignores logical evidence as if it were never there. But you'll still get the people who believe God designed and set evolution in motion with the rest who vote in the negative.

"Do you believe in creation?" is the absolute worst way to word it, because you force people who believe both concepts simultaneously to look like the think evolution is false.
2007-06-19, 9:02 PM #18
Originally posted by SiliconC:
I don't see how creation and evolution have to be completely different concepts.

It's massassi.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-06-19, 9:05 PM #19
Originally posted by SiliconC:

It's not that they're "completely different," it's that one makes the other unnecessary.
omnia mea mecum porto
2007-06-19, 9:06 PM #20
Originally posted by Roach:
It's not that they're "completely different," it's that one makes the other unnecessary.

A perfect example of my last post.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-06-19, 9:11 PM #21
Just because you have a belief doesn't mean everyone has to respect you for it.

o.0
2007-06-19, 9:11 PM #22
Originally posted by Freelancer:
This thread might have been masochistic three or four years ago, but these days, everyone here agrees. See poll.

Even if I weren't a creationist, I'd tell everybody I was just to irritate the brittle people that seem to feel obligated to set everyone straight on the subject.
2007-06-19, 9:12 PM #23
Assuming God exists, it's completely possible he/she/it engineered evolution along with primitive biological systems and then pressed the go button — then sat back and let it unfold. While God's existence certainly makes evolution's existence unnecessary, God's existence wouldn't make evolution's existence impossible or even improbable.
2007-06-19, 9:13 PM #24
I can never force a faith perspective on someone, hence why these threads are so pointless to begin with. You know my opinion, I know yours and there's nothing either of us can really do to change each others minds. Hence why I usually avoid these topics.

Squirrls!

I miss SF_Gold. :(
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2007-06-19, 9:14 PM #25
I partially agree. It's like the opposite agenda of extreme right-wing conservative Christians. I don't understand the need/drive to set "those who are wrong" on the "same/correct" path that you feel you're on. I don't see how it warrants the effort and muchless warrants a thread.
2007-06-19, 9:16 PM #26
SF_Gold is funny only during certain times. But think of the other 96% of his stay.

Let's put it this way: Your roommate is a clown. Time to time he acts silly and you get a good laugh. But he's annoying to live with for the rest of the year.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-06-19, 9:19 PM #27
Originally posted by Echoman:

Let's put it this way: Your roommate is a clown. Time to time he acts silly and you get a good laugh. But he's annoying to live with for the rest of the year.

And occasionally you wake up and he's smelling your hair.
2007-06-19, 9:20 PM #28
Without any pants.
2007-06-19, 9:47 PM #29
yeah, i still don't reject evolution. however,i also still don't believe abiogenesis could ave been responsible for life in and of itself.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2007-06-19, 10:00 PM #30
I'm not a biologist and I don't fancy myself particularly capable of distinguishing between good arguments and bad arguments in that field, so the consensus of the scientific community is good enough for me. Besides, I'm pretty sure my religion doesn't have anything to say on the subject that's meant to be taken literally.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2007-06-19, 11:26 PM #31
I like this poll.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-06-20, 12:03 AM #32
Hahaha, I didn't want to be denser than led. So I guess I believe in creation all of the sudden.

Whoo God!
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-20, 1:04 AM #33
SQUIRRLS ON ISLANDS
2007-06-20, 1:05 AM #34
I think it's possible that God created man and other animals starting from a simple base and making subtle alterations and elaborations.

I also believe that life being spontaneously created is nigh impossible.

I also believe that life being brought here by other life is just as impossible, since that life had to have been created spontaneously as well.

I also believe that proving the existence of a superior entity or deity is just as impossible.
2007-06-20, 1:17 AM #35
If you've done three impossible things this morning, why not round it off with breakfast at Milliway's — the Restaurant at the End of the Universe!
Sorry for the lousy German
2007-06-20, 1:37 AM #36
HEAVY BOOTS!
2007-06-20, 1:52 AM #37
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:

That would include God.
2007-06-20, 2:52 AM #38
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
What about rocks? sand? mountains? oceans? planets? stars? galaxies? these are all highly complex systems. Science seems to indicate that all these complex systems are the result of interactions between a number of very simple and elementary processes. If they could have 'spontaneously' emerged, why couldn't life? What makes life so different?

Basically, if your reasoning is that God created life because it could not have emerged on its own, then you have to believe that God created everything in the universe, because you are denying the possibility that a simple set of rules working together can result in complex behavior.

A much better argument is about who/what set those rules in place. That is the most fundamental issue in understanding nature. Life is not a separate issue that can be thought of on a different level.
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2007-06-20, 2:54 AM #39
Originally posted by Fardreamer:
[...]a simple set of rules working together can result in complex behavior.

Which can be observed every time you turn on your computer.
Sorry for the lousy German
2007-06-20, 3:27 AM #40
Evolution is a valid theory. Creationism is not a valid theory. There is evidence to support Evolution. There is no evidence to support Creationism. Evolution has a place in science. At this point in time, Creationism has no place in science. The issue isn't whether or not an intelligent designer exists. It's whether or not Creationists can prove that one exists. Until they can, Atheism is the only logical choice. There's no reason, at this point, to believe in the existence of an intelligent designer.

↑ Up to the top!