Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Ravenholm...
Ravenholm...
2007-11-17, 7:35 PM #1
...scared the crap out of me.
3 times.
I shouldn't play that at 1am anymore.

I'm not into the horror genre, not to mention that I didn't see this coming in HL2.

I think the only times I've crapped my pants like that was when playing Thief: The Dark Project during the Haunted Mansion level, and Theif 3 at The Cradle.

Post your scary gaming moments.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2007-11-17, 7:39 PM #2
Ravenholm is definitely the scariest gaming moment ever. Also the part in Episode 1 right before the train station.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-11-17, 7:50 PM #3
The Cradle was baaad. I kept expecting something to jump out at me but there are NO baddies at all in the first half! I was almost relieved when I finally found the baddies later on . I don't care for horror but the Cradle was fun in a scary way.

Ravenholm, not so much, although I still get edgy whenever I play it and I definitely don't care for it. It has this one arena where you can keep triggering baddies to spawn infinitely if you run across a certain line... which I would repeatedly do accidentally when backpedaling to get away from one of the baddies that spawned the last time I did it.

2007-11-17, 7:57 PM #4
Am I the only one who didn't find Ravenholm scary? Maybe when the fast, skinless zombie was introduced, the zombies seem to repeat themselves. Which isn't surprising seeing that there is only really 3 variations.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-11-17, 7:58 PM #5
Quote:
which I would repeatedly do accidentally when backpedaling to get away from one of the baddies that spawned the last time I did it.

lol..sounds familiar; I kept going in circles..kept respawning zombies..
woot!
2007-11-17, 8:03 PM #6
Ravenholm didn't scare me and it didn't impress me. I thought it was very poorly designed.
2007-11-17, 8:07 PM #7
I didn't really like Ravenholm as much as the rest of the game. I kept getting lost and frustrated.
2007-11-17, 8:08 PM #8
the only thing that scares the crap out of me in ravenholm is those gorram poison headcrabs

those sonuva*****es gonna get shot up
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2007-11-17, 8:18 PM #9
Doom 3 made me jump for a little while, but there's only so many ways a demon can break down a wall until you anticipate it.
2007-11-17, 8:24 PM #10
Probably getting discovered by about 3 extremely high level mages while sneaking around in a house in Oblivion. Needless to say I died, fast.

Maybe System Shock 2...just the entire experience.

The part in the beginning of doom 3 where you can go into the bathroom and then you see everything turn red and ****...that was pretty bad too.
D E A T H
2007-11-17, 8:49 PM #11
I agree with Jon'C, Ravenholm was the low point of HL2 for me.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-11-17, 9:19 PM #12
That one part in Doom 3 where you go down a corridor and you hear a voice say 'they took my baby...' and you go on and your screen turns red and you cant hear anything and you cant move, and you hear a baby screaming from behind you...
DO NOT WANT.
2007-11-17, 9:39 PM #13
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
I didn't really like Ravenholm as much as the rest of the game. I kept getting lost and frustrated.

That covered a good portion of my experience with HL2. More the "didn't like" than the "lost and frustrated"

Episode 1 was slightly better.

Episode 2 finally was enjoyable.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2007-11-17, 9:44 PM #14
Yeah, Ravenholm was definitely one of the most annoying parts of HL2. I didn't find it scary or fun at all.

As for scary game moments? Oblivion has a few of them out of pure luck. I found Bioshock to be quite disturbing, too. Clive Barker's Jericho was actually pretty scary at some points, too.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-11-17, 9:58 PM #15
I don't think and game has really scared the crap out of me as badly as running into a cyber demon in Doom 2. Nothing like entering a room and seeing a swarm of rockets coming right out you!
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2007-11-17, 10:13 PM #16
HL2 (especially Ravenholm and Highway 17/Sandtraps) is really fun if you modify the gravity gun's lifting power by changing the physcannon_maxmass and physcannon_maxpower to something incredibly high (like 10,000, default is 120, IIRC)

This lets you pick almost anything up, (and throw it REALLY far) including washing machines , cars, metal beams, shipping containers, and even parts of that cliff that crumbles in Highway 17. Picking up moving vehicles crashes the game, though.
2007-11-17, 10:25 PM #17
Clive Barker's Undying.

Can't get past it.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-11-17, 10:47 PM #18
No one's mentioned FEAR?

Also, VTM: Bloodlines had the Ocean Hotel or whatever it's called. I once managed to spot the shadow of a ghost off the beaten path, and have never been able to replicate it.. Odd...
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2007-11-17, 10:49 PM #19
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
HL2 (especially Ravenholm and Highway 17/Sandtraps) is really fun if you modify the gravity gun's lifting power by changing the physcannon_maxmass and physcannon_maxpower to something incredibly high (like 10,000, default is 120, IIRC)

This lets you pick almost anything up, (and throw it REALLY far) including washing machines , cars, metal beams, shipping containers, and even parts of that cliff that crumbles in Highway 17. Picking up moving vehicles crashes the game, though.

I must try this.
2007-11-17, 11:02 PM #20
FEAR has a few moments where i jumped. random skeletons jumping out of a pool of blood, so on and so forth.

ravenholm i thought was a decent portion of hl2. those bastards that carry around poison headcrabs were the hardest part.

other some-what scary moments come from resident evil 4
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2007-11-17, 11:29 PM #21
ravenholm, like the rest of hl2, was a very good stage. however, like the rest of hl2, it simply wasn't memorable.
2007-11-17, 11:33 PM #22
Originally posted by IRG SithLord:
I must try this.

A few things to keep in mind:

1. Unlike the super gravity gun, this does not let you pick up NPCs.

2. The cars in Ravenholm can't be picked up and thrown., but the ones in Highway 17 and sandtraps can.

3. If you throw something really heavy (like a car, shipping container, or big green filing cabinet), it will pulverize anything breakable in its way and then keep going!
2007-11-17, 11:41 PM #23
The part in DooM 3 where you are examining the "aliens" (imp) in the stasis chamber and the thing SHRIEKS and moves. I about crapped. D:
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2007-11-18, 12:18 AM #24
Originally posted by SithGhost:
Doom 3 made me jump for a little while, but there's only so many ways a demon can break down a wall until you anticipate it.

Right, they either spawn right in front of you, or they pop out of an alcove in the wall. It gets predictable after awhile.

There were way too many imps, also.
2007-11-18, 12:58 AM #25
yeah I agree with Commander. I just recently played through FEAR for the first time. I was on edge quite a few times in that game.

And Ravenholm has startled me a few times too. Only because of the Fast and Poison Zombies. hate getting bit by those poisoned bastards.
"You were probably a result of sabotage."
2007-11-18, 1:09 AM #26
I didn't find it that scary. The part in episode one was more exciting then scary.
System Shock 2 however.. Jesus christ.
2007-11-18, 1:11 AM #27
Scary is Anoat City in Dark Forces.

As for Ravenholm, count me among those who didn't really find it that scary.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2007-11-18, 1:12 AM #28
Ahh yes.. Anoat.
I gave up that game when i was 8 because of that.
And the Asteroid levels in MoTS. I was a pansy.
2007-11-18, 2:10 AM #29
When I was younger, Castelvania 64 scared me a little bit. Particularly the part where you're running through the hedge maze being chased by two dogs and a guy with a chainsaw as an arm. Probably would look absolutely ridiculous to me now, but back then, I found it really spooky.
2007-11-18, 2:27 AM #30
Hmm...as far as I can think of, those weird large demon hands that break into more demon hands after you attack scared the **** out of me when I played LoZ:Ocarina of Time the first time.

Oh yeah, this too.
Back again
2007-11-18, 2:41 AM #31
Originally posted by Warlockmish:
Oh yeah, this too.

I can't get to the scary part because my god awful logitech bluetooth mouse makes the cursor vibrate like I'm overdosing on parkinsons meds.
2007-11-18, 3:51 AM #32
One truly frightening moment I've had from a game was fighting Pigsy near the end of Manhunt. That was, I'll be honest, absolutely terrifying.

The first game that truly scared me was Darkseed. I was only young when my brother made me play that. It wasn't fair :(
2007-11-18, 5:58 AM #33
Condemned: Criminal Origins in the department store... that was probably the freakiest part of that game
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2007-11-18, 7:39 AM #34
Originally posted by Yecti:
The part in DooM 3 where you are examining the "aliens" (imp) in the stasis chamber and the thing SHRIEKS and moves. I about crapped. D:

Meh, they used it in all the trailers, so it wasn't unexpected when I played it.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-11-18, 8:25 AM #35
I got another one from Doom 3 (sorta). In the leaked alpha, you could walk around and kill a few things. Zombies, however, didn't stay dead. That scared the **** outta me first time I saw it...they should've kept it like that. Would've made things more interesting.

Oh and I bumped into a cyberdemon that wasn't activated, just the model...that was interesting, and freaky.
D E A T H
2007-11-18, 8:45 AM #36
Anoat...

and who hasn't started running like a sissy meeting his first phase two dark trooper?
"NAILFACE" - spe
2007-11-18, 9:44 AM #37
The only two games that have scared me to the point to where I almost had to put them down was System Shock 2 and Clive Barker's Undying, although playing Anoat when I was eight or nine freaked me out, too. But after those two, it takes a lot to scare me anymore. Doom 3 and FEAR surprised me once or twice, but never scared me. Ravenholm did scare me and I liked playing around with the gravity gun. Where are yall getting lost at? I never really had trouble navigating it.

I still freak out some when I play SS2 and Undying. Especially when playing them at night.
2007-11-18, 10:06 AM #38
Originally posted by Commander 598:
Also, VTM: Bloodlines had the Ocean Hotel or whatever it's called. I once managed to spot the shadow of a ghost off the beaten path, and have never been able to replicate it.. Odd...

That was pretty creepy. I hated that part.
2007-11-18, 10:07 AM #39
Originally posted by Commander 598:
No one's mentioned FEAR?

If I were a game designer, I would add things that have a 1 in 10,000 chance of happening, just to screw with those few people.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2007-11-18, 10:11 AM #40
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
Right, they either spawn right in front of you, or they pop out of an alcove in the wall. It gets predictable after awhile.

There were way too many imps, also.

It was predictable for me half way through the first level. So much so that I started finding it awesomely funny whenever they'd jump our roaring.

I just remembered a few places in Bioshock that creeped me out. Fort Frolic. Almost every single frozen "statue" Cohen created. And later on, the spider splicers that look frozen, then tear up your backside as soon as you're past. I wasted so much ammo in that part shooting everything that looked human just to make sure nothing would jump me.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand

↑ Up to the top!