Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What's so special about Halo 3?
What's so special about Halo 3?
2007-12-28, 12:27 AM #81
Originally posted by Echoman:
Why people would buy Halo 2 for PC is beyond me.

i bought it... when gogamer had it for $20 then turned around and sold my xbox copy on ebay for $23

Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Are you trying to say Halo doesn't have auto-aim? Please.

it does but it's not nearly as haxish as most auto aims... slowing of movement when the crosshair is on the enemy and the occasional moment i've noticed my view automatically tracks an enemy for a short moment when it moves across my crosshairs

though the best console auto aim IMO is what is found in the call of duty games which auto aims right when you bring the sights up...
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2007-12-28, 8:09 AM #82
halo is pretty dull, rob is funny, EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT AN OPINION IS, ruth is called ruth, thats a girls name, xbox live is overrated i like playing mass effect.
2007-12-28, 8:31 AM #83
Originally posted by SoldierSnoop:
you have to look at all the things halo did before most FPS games at the time...

Nothing? FPS's already had everything it had, except no online play.

Wait, that's not a feature.

It took a huge generation of PC only FPS Gamers... (like myself addicted to counter-strike) and showed them that a console can have skilled FPS gamers as well

I agree that it's one of the few console FPS that has skilled players, but there's only so much to it with the autoaim and everything.

Halo did employ new graphical features (bump mapping hello? anyone seen bump mapping prior to halo?)

Ever hear of a little game called Quake 3? What about Serious Sam?

and VEHICLES done CORRECTLY.

I dunno about all that.

And if you think I'm wrong or w/e... look at console sales or HALO 3 SALES compared to the dwindling PC market.

The PC market isn't dwindling...there's a reason they decided to port Gears of War over, TF2 is doing extremely well, Crysis is doing well, you have no idea what you're talking about here.

Halo hooked alot of people by taking a big fresh step away from standard FPS games.

In my opinion it ripped off UT and made it a BIT different and a LOT slower.

I won't even get started on MP it speaks for itself, yes its not perfect and there are ways to whore in it BUT it offers a fun experience by giving you the ability to change the rules and create your own way to play (ninjaball is awesome).

You know what other games do that?

Every PC FPS since 1999.
D E A T H
2007-12-28, 8:37 AM #84
Originally posted by Rob:
Maybe I was accusing you of being a homophobe, by impying you should keep closer tabs on your interests.

Maybe I just like making Lance Bass is gay jokes because we all knew one of thme HAD to be gay?

Maybe you're an uptight guy and you get upset over nothing all the time and need to let loose before you pop like a zit on kirby's face?

Ha-HA!

/Nelson
2007-12-28, 8:40 AM #85
Well, my stepson and I played for 4 hours last night, coop, and it was fun. I couldn't ever get the teammates to switch weapons with me, they always just look at me when I try. I will try pressing the buttons again. Some of the maps are really cool and huge, which is nice. After playing Doom3 and Quake4 I think I'll vomit if I get tricked into buying another hallway shooter.

I like the variety of weapons. I really like how I can tear mounted weapons from their mounting and carry them around. It's definitely a lot more fun coop, and there seems to be no penalty for dying, which is nice (there are so many checkpoints I never felt like we had to redo stuff too many times). I like how it loads the maps while you are picking game options, that really helps. The explosions are pretty cool, I like throwing grenades because they seem to fly true virtually 100% of the time (whereas with other games, it's always a crapshoot whether I hit what I'm trying to hit).

On the negative side, the vehicles are lame. I like walking up to a bad guy vehicle, latching onto it, and destroying it with a grenade, that's a nice touch.

So, after playing it more and playing coop, it's better than my initial impressions. Too bad I have no idea what is going on, story-wise. With no background in the series, everything they say is gibberish. First they're worried about the Halo (whatever that is) then my dude keeps having visions of a blue ghost, then a huge blue ball appears and sucks up all the good-guy ships, and now I'm fighting zombies. Seriously, wth?
2007-12-28, 9:34 AM #86
It won't let you switch weapons if they're holding the same thing you are.

Otherwise, it tells you exactly what to do just like switching any other weapon on the ground.
2007-12-28, 10:39 AM #87
Originally posted by Rob:
Maybe I was accusing you of being a homophobe, by impying you should keep closer tabs on your interests.

Maybe I just like making Lance Bass is gay jokes because we all knew one of thme HAD to be gay?

Maybe you're an uptight guy and you get upset over nothing all the time and need to let loose before you pop like a zit on kirby's face?

Nah, I don't get upset about nothing all the time. I get upset by jerkoffs like you who get pleasure out of antagonizing other people for no good goddamn reason.

[EDIT: Well, thank god. He's banned for another three weeks. Forget what I just said, then, everyone. :awesome:]
DO NOT WANT.
2007-12-28, 11:05 AM #88
Originally posted by Brian:
So, after playing it more and playing coop, it's better than my initial impressions. Too bad I have no idea what is going on, story-wise. With no background in the series, everything they say is gibberish. First they're worried about the Halo (whatever that is) then my dude keeps having visions of a blue ghost, then a huge blue ball appears and sucks up all the good-guy ships, and now I'm fighting zombies. Seriously, wth?

Read these. You've missed a lot. Also, game manuals always have a brief description of characters and story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo:_Combat_Evolved

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_2
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2007-12-28, 11:59 AM #89
Yeah, I felt lost when I played Halo 2 without having played Halo: CE
2007-12-28, 12:00 PM #90
1 - no one knows why halo 3 is so popular. my kids can't stop playing it. :/
2 - super mario galaxy is the funnest game i've ever played. i love it.
3 - i don't want to start a whole thing here but the wireless adapter for the 360 is like ram from apple. who do they think we are? f'ing idiots? $100?!? **** them! **** them big time!!!
2007-12-28, 12:04 PM #91
Originally posted by Darth Evad:
3 - i don't want to start a whole thing here but the wireless adapter for the 360 is like ram from apple. who do they think we are? f'ing idiots? $100?!? **** them! **** them big time!!!

It's especially sad when you consider that the Wii (and even the freaking DS Lite) have built in wifi and cost way less.
2007-12-28, 1:00 PM #92
Originally posted by Darth Evad:

Add to that the price of a 120 hard drive if you want to upgrade.

.... Something I'm rapidly getting close to needing to do. -_-
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2007-12-28, 1:14 PM #93
I'm able to keep my hard drive at a nice 11.5 GB / 20 GB free.

If you've got any movies or music (i.e., anything not from XBox Live), throw it on a USB external hard drive with a FAT32 partition and plug it into the XBox.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-12-28, 1:30 PM #94
Yeah, I stay around there too. I just don't keep many demos. Once you've played it who cares if you have to delete it?
2007-12-28, 1:48 PM #95
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Nothing? FPS's already had everything it had, except no online play.

Umm I was talking mainly about vehicles in Multiplayer that werent awkward and needed a degree in engineering to figure out... like Tribes, name a game before it that had vehicles that didn't feel like they were about to glitch out of the game. The online play was possible via tunneling... yeah it was basic but the hardcore halo players at the time loved it... It was truely a good age reminded me of zone needing a 3rd party software to play a game online.

Quote:
I agree that it's one of the few console FPS that has skilled players, but there's only so much to it with the autoaim and everything.

True. Still when a guy can use almost any weapon and defeat you, you learn some appreciation to the people who worship this game.... (albeit they need lives as I tell them when I die...)

Quote:
Ever hear of a little game called Quake 3? What about Serious Sam?

I played a TON of quake 3... urban terror was my 2nd fav game to play next to counter-strike. I never saw bumpmapping anywhere... Serious Sam I never played. And I remember watching my friend play but I don't ever remember the 3d surface textures that wowed me in my first time playing halo. I remember just staring at the ice in Halo wondering "how'd they do that?".

Quote:
The PC market isn't dwindling...there's a reason they decided to port Gears of War over, TF2 is doing extremely well, Crysis is doing well, you have no idea what you're talking about here.

I am terribly sorry to burst your bubble but it is. Sales in the PC Gaming market have been declining rapidly. Just because there are solid games making there way to the PC dosn't mean the market is good. I bought crysis, I love PC gaming first (since my parents wouldn't let me have a gaming system... little did they know about JK...) BUT if you read n4g.com or any other various gaming news outlet you would now about the sorry state PC gaming is in. BTW Gears on Windows is part of M$ trying to establish Vista as a gaming platform... Which they are unsuccessfully doing.

Quote:
In my opinion it ripped off UT and made it a BIT different and a LOT slower.

Ripped off how? I played UT a ****load as well (I remember the first time a bot called me a ***** in the UT 99 demo... great memory). Halo never made me think of it ever. UT was always insane stupid intense frantic action where your kill to death ratio didn't matter whatsoever where as in Halo it means alot.

Quote:
You know what other games do that?

Every PC FPS since 1999.

Eh... quake 3, UT, perfect dark are the only ones I can think of prior 2001. Every other was just the standard fanfare... dm, tdm, ctf... no vehicles in any of those either... and please don't bring up tribes that game had a cult following but it was a tedious boring game.
2007-12-28, 1:59 PM #96
Tribes tedious and boring?
You sir, Fail.
2007-12-28, 2:02 PM #97
o come on... the weapons were almost all next to useless... it took like a birthright to get in a clan that new what it was doing... unless you were among the hardcore and played as a unit then yes i can see your point but if your like me wanting to play the average skirmish and w/e it was most def. not.
2007-12-28, 2:35 PM #98
Originally posted by Wolfy:
I'm able to keep my hard drive at a nice 11.5 GB / 20 GB free.

If you've got any movies or music (i.e., anything not from XBox Live), throw it on a USB external hard drive with a FAT32 partition and plug it into the XBox.

Mine is clean of stuff not from Live, as I stream everything from my laptop. Mine is just loaded with trailers and stuff I don't really want to get rid of yet, even though I should, since there's no real reason to keep them.

Originally posted by Aglar:
Yeah, I stay around there too. I just don't keep many demos. Once you've played it who cares if you have to delete it?

No one. But I don't have a huge game budget, so I tend to keep ALOT of demos around.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2007-12-28, 3:07 PM #99
Umm I was talking mainly about vehicles in Multiplayer that werent awkward and needed a degree in engineering to figure out... like Tribes, name a game before it that had vehicles that didn't feel like they were about to glitch out of the game. The online play was possible via tunneling... yeah it was basic but the hardcore halo players at the time loved it... It was truely a good age reminded me of zone needing a 3rd party software to play a game online.

None, because every game was focused on MP and online MP didn't have the kind of bandwidth on the user side to correctly sync vehicles. Shortly thereafter, though BF1942 came out.

I played a TON of quake 3... urban terror was my 2nd fav game to play next to counter-strike. I never saw bumpmapping anywhere... Serious Sam I never played. And I remember watching my friend play but I don't ever remember the 3d surface textures that wowed me in my first time playing halo. I remember just staring at the ice in Halo wondering "how'd they do that?".

Quake 3 had bump mapping, a better particle engine, hell the graphics overall had a lot more potential...thing is, it was just an engine demo for id. That became a very popular idea.

Honestly I was never wowed by the graphics in halo...ever.

I am terribly sorry to burst your bubble but it is. Sales in the PC Gaming market have been declining rapidly. Just because there are solid games making there way to the PC dosn't mean the market is good. I bought crysis, I love PC gaming first (since my parents wouldn't let me have a gaming system... little did they know about JK...) BUT if you read n4g.com or any other various gaming news outlet you would now about the sorry state PC gaming is in. BTW Gears on Windows is part of M$ trying to establish Vista as a gaming platform... Which they are unsuccessfully doing.

Prove it. I am yet to see a decline in PC gaming, though console gaming may be catching up, CS still has about 10,000 active servers, battlenet still has over 100,000 people active quite often, TF2 has tons of servers, DoD:S, and I'm just listing off games I have and play. Nevermind UT2k4, BF2, BF2142, etc etc (and I'm about to jump on Crysis).

Sorry to burst your bubble but I severely doubt this claim, and people have been saying it for years with no effect.

Ripped off how? I played UT a ****load as well (I remember the first time a bot called me a ***** in the UT 99 demo... great memory). Halo never made me think of it ever. UT was always insane stupid intense frantic action where your kill to death ratio didn't matter whatsoever where as in Halo it means alot.

1) Player models, maps, textures, alien races look QUITE similar (compare a skaarj to an Elite)
2) Your K:D ratio in UT very much mattered. I don't know what game you were playing but I was playing Unreal Tournament.

Eh... quake 3, UT, perfect dark are the only ones I can think of prior 2001. Every other was just the standard fanfare... dm, tdm, ctf... no vehicles in any of those either... and please don't bring up tribes that game had a cult following but it was a tedious boring game.

Yeah, but they all had ONLINE PLAY. And there were mods for Q3 with vehicles, and where the hell did perfect dark come from :psyduck:
D E A T H
2007-12-28, 3:10 PM #100
And even then Perfect dark had almost the exact same options as Goldeneye :psyduck:
nope.
2007-12-28, 4:18 PM #101
perfect dark being the definite console entry into how much effort went into the MP as opposed to MP being a tack on to the SP 'gaming experience.'

Look at how many units crysis and UT3 sold compared to say halo 3 and gears for xbox. It's not even close.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,140623-c,games/article.html
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/55631.html
http://www.philsteinmeyer.com/40/retail-pc-game-sales-off-57/
http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=15831
http://www.overclockers.com/articles1406/

nail in coffin...
http://www.videogamer.com/features/article/18-12-2007-223.html

do you need any more 'proof' now? The PC gaming market is shrinking, while the gaming market is growing. That is not good. I love my PC. I love overclocking and squeezing every ounce of power out of PC's... but I am not fan-boy biased and I have a 360 as well... Halo 3 LAN kills alot of our time here in Iraq. It is competitive fun and also unique when messing around with all the different MP modes.

This is an interesting read as well... MMO's (basically WoW) causing death of PC gaming as we know it.
http://www.bigkid.com.au/2006/02/20/the-dangers-of-monogamey/
2007-12-28, 4:34 PM #102
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
Tribes tedious and boring?
You sir, Fail.

i'm guessing he either had zero skill and always got killed or played on servers with 16 people or less

you really need a full server to get the best experience from the tribes series... especially on some maps where you could go all the way to the enemy base and halfway back to yours before even spotting an enemy on a server with only a handful of players... some of my favorite moments were in tribes 2... vehicle handling was vastly improved making dogfighting somewhat possible... made the Shrike more useful in the hands of skilled pilots... even though it was still used mainly for flag caps i had friends who fly shrikes purely to swoop in and hit flag runners

but let's not go off topic here... this is about halo 3
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2007-12-28, 4:39 PM #103
i bought the game for 10 dollars i think in either 99 or 2000... 56ghey days... I liked the CTF, but I could never play in those large servers, most if I remember were all in Australia for some reason so they lagged bad. Yes, the maps were to big for there own good for the kind of servers I played. I tried to play like tactically but my team never did much to help, such as setting up turrets and transporting troops and what not. It played well but for me was not at all fully realized the way it should have been. But yes back to Halo 3.
2007-12-28, 4:41 PM #104
Um... that argument fails. The Orange Box for PC was one of the top selling games all year.

Crysis can be run on like, 7 PCs around the world, it's a horrible metric for the "health" of PC gaming
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-12-28, 4:43 PM #105
http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=15831 <--this alone shows that PC gaming isn't dying. Sales are going up--not as fast as they used to, no, but the sales are there. It's not dying at all. Crysis and UT3 were both engines first and games second--that's how the market's played these days. Look at quake 3, doom 3, and Unreal Engines 1 and 2.

You say it's dying, yet sales aren't declining. How the hell does this work?
D E A T H
2007-12-28, 5:06 PM #106
i don't think i ever said dying... i said its getting smaller... and since the year 2000... when consoles started to rise up... PC software game sales have halved... I mean are you trying to retract your statement or something? What I said was true and you were all I need proof... I gave you proof a 30million dollar upchuck in sales dosn't compare to PC game sales down 50% in 6 years... And considering the console market is making so much money it will soon allow them to drive cost's down. PC Gaming isn't even a billion dollar industry anymore (unless you include mmo subs, which really dosn't aid anyone but the fat cats who made that specific mmo).

selling a commercially licensed game engine really has nothing to do with PC game sales. all it does is give PC developers a bank roll which is why we still get PC releases since thats the platform most developers make first.
2007-12-28, 5:14 PM #107
ooo here is the article I read originally summing up the current PC game market

fishsticks... umm yeah.......... not true at all. nice try though

WoW was highest selling title (if your a WoW fan this is heaven for you I suppose...)

Quote:
State of the Platform
Welcome to World of PCcraft.

2007 turned out to be one hell of a good year for gaming across all platforms. While we saw plenty of highly anticipated titles take a little tumble into next year we were also treated to an amazingly high standard of entertainment, especially in the first-person shooter genre. Here on the PC we saw some games long in development finally release and, in many cases, live up to the hype. In other ways, the PC market isn't looking strong. While the console markets grow in North America, we're seeing a decline in PC gaming. It's probably exactly the fact that there were so many strikingly excellent games this year that makes this so much more surprising.

Just look at the FPS genre in particular. We went over this in greater length in our Year of the FPS ramblings but the short of it is that this was an unprecedented year for PC shooters. There were a ton of beautiful games to choose from in all walks of the genre. Corridor shooters, run and guns, free-form, team-based, class-based, twitchy, and tactical all had entries that could easily satisfy even the most hardened gamer. S.T.A.L.K.E.R., BioShock, Quake Wars, Team Fortress 2, Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Call of Duty 4, Crysis, and Unreal Tournament III were only the biggest and brightest.

Strategy, the PC's other traditionally strong genre, had just as many titles as years past. Of course, that also meant just as many mediocre titles as well. Thankfully, the genre wasn't without its winners. We saw the release of Supreme Commander early in the year and while it's not for everyone, it turned out to be well worth the wait and showed some pretty innovative interface decisions. Just recently we saw the release of the stand alone Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance which changed the game rules a bit to make the game a bit faster. World in Conflict was the other groundbreaking real-time strategy title this year proving that you don't need resource or base management to create a deep and fun game. Its multiplayer mode alone brought class based gameplay into strategy in about as successful a way as we could imagine. Turn-based strategy largely took a back seat this year but Stardock still managed to release the excellent Dark Avatar expansion to Galactic Civilizations II while Firaxis pumped out Beyond the Sword for Civ IV.

But the most interesting section of PC gaming right now is definitely the MMO market. Blizzard has a stranglehold with World of Warcraft that only got stronger with the release of Burning Crusade. Other MMOs, while they still have a chance, have been forced to adopt similar gameplay styles whether they want to or not. A member of Funcom developing Age of Conan recently told me how hard it was to develop for people complaining that they want something different than World of Warcraft and then turning around and complaining that they don't understand it because it doesn't play like World of Warcraft. The influence on the industry is immense. Yet there are still plenty of developers hoping to lay claim to a piece of that green pie. Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Warhammer 40,000 Online, Pirates of the Burning Sea, Star Trek Online, whatever BioWare is working on in Austin, The Agency, are just a few that are hoping to catch players falling stunned from the mountain that is Blizzard after gorging themselves on WoW for years.

World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade

As mentioned earlier, one of the other surprising things about this year was the huge number of quality titles released when there were more than a few that were pushed into 2008. Games like Spore, Frontlines: Fuel of War, Assassin's Creed, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Sins of a Solar Empire, Dragon Age, Left 4 Dead, Mercenaries 2, Project Offset, and Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway were all on our radars at the beginning of the year. In a way, we're actually pretty happy they weren't released this year. The market was too crowded (especially with World of Warcraft sitting their stuffing its face with everyone's money) as it was and this way we have some good things to look forward to in 2008. It's a good thing because we're having a hard time believing that this next year could possibly have the bloated excellence of 2007.

So with all these great games released on PC this year, the question is: what the hell happened to the gamers? What's most troubling about the PC market is the sales numbers. The best selling game in North America, according to NPD numbers, was the World of Warcraft expansion pack Burning Crusade. That was the only game on the list that sold over a million PC copies this year and its base product World of Warcraft the only other game to pass a half-million sold. The next best seller, The Sims 2: Seasons, was down around 300k. And check this, of the 31 games that managed to sell over 100,000 copies this year, 21 of them were released in previous years and 11 of them were Sims products. Command & Conquer 3, Supreme Commander, Lord of the Rings Online, BioShock were the only games released this year to sell over 100k that weren't Sims or World of Warcraft related according to NPD.

BioShock

Now, while we're saying that, we have to wonder how much of the sales decline from retail stores is due to people downloading the games online since NPD doesn't track services like Steam and Valve won't release sales numbers. What we're talking about here could be much ado about nothing, but it's concerning, not because we think the PC will die as a gaming platform, but because we may continue to see a decline in PC specific titles. Compared to console sales, these numbers are pretty sad and we have to wonder how much longer bigger companies are going to see the PC as a primary option for making money. I suppose as consoles get more powerful, it becomes a bit easier to make cross-platform titles, but as John Carmack said recently in an interview, the days of PC only titles could very well be winding down. It's not happy news for us PC gamers.

While we don't have any sorts of "facts" or "numbers" or "credible sources" to back up our wild claims at this point, we're also wondering whether World of Warcraft is helping or hurting the PC gaming market. Yes, it's attracting a lot of players that might not have purchased PC games before, but it's also sucking them and the previous hardcore players in so intensely that they don't want to play anything else. When people are actually letting their marriages be ruined by the need to play a game they're definitely not running out to buy anything new.

It's also not surprising that we're still seeing our traditionally big genres and franchises make their way to consoles. EA continues to push their RTSs onto the 360 and the release of Command & Conquer 3 proved it as a very viable solution. The news that World in Conflict, Supreme Commander, and Universe at War were all being pushed onto consoles has us wondering how much longer the PC will retain the edge in this department. These are three very different and, in some cases, very complicated games. If Supreme Commander with its huge scope can be successful, it'll be an easy maneuver for the rest of the RTS developers to begin drooling over the possibilities. We remember when shooters first came out on consoles. They were awkward. The same is going to be the case with strategy games but developers will find a way to make them work well.

Either way, it's an interesting time for PC gamers. When the high end graphics cards needed to run games, but that still can't run the over-promised DX10 well, are as expensive as they are, it really is the hardcore that are left to hoist the flag for gamers games. The PC market will always be there for casual games if nothing else simply because these games can run on any of the millions of computers around the world. It'll be an interesting year next year to see how many more developers jump ship to consoles for the promise of greater riches.
2007-12-28, 5:41 PM #108
perfect dark being the definite console entry into how much effort went into the MP as opposed to MP being a tack on to the SP 'gaming experience.'

Timesplitters.

:colbert:
nope.
2007-12-28, 5:45 PM #109
i don't think i ever said dying... i said its getting smaller... and since the year 2000... when consoles started to rise up... PC software game sales have halved... I mean are you trying to retract your statement or something? What I said was true and you were all I need proof... I gave you proof a 30million dollar upchuck in sales dosn't compare to PC game sales down 50% in 6 years... And considering the console market is making so much money it will soon allow them to drive cost's down. PC Gaming isn't even a billion dollar industry anymore (unless you include mmo subs, which really dosn't aid anyone but the fat cats who made that specific mmo).

selling a commercially licensed game engine really has nothing to do with PC game sales. all it does is give PC developers a bank roll which is why we still get PC releases since thats the platform most developers make first.

PC gaming made 7.4 billion dollars last year. It was down 400 million the year before (but that was a ****ty year for PC gaming in general) but it's not dwindling. Sales, according to the figures you showed, are still steadily rising, just not as rapidly as they did at first. This is a normal economic phenomenon--when something's first introduced sales go up, and up, and then level out.

It...happens.
D E A T H
2007-12-28, 6:05 PM #110
games are for children and gays
2007-12-28, 6:32 PM #111
Originally posted by fishstickz:
Um... that argument fails. The Orange Box for PC was one of the top selling games all year.

Crysis can be run on like, 7 PCs around the world, it's a horrible metric for the "health" of PC gaming

Eight, Mine.
:awesome:
2007-12-28, 7:06 PM #112
SoldierSnoop just needs to stop pretending that he knows what he's talking about. Orange Box had a ton of sales, and every game in the box (except peggle) was an (loosely for Portal) FPS.

Need I also remind you how that Halo 3 is no longer doing nearly as much sales (it literally died off after about the first week and a half), and that it only managed to boost 360 sales a tiny bit? Not exactly a strong case for console gaming over PC.
2007-12-28, 7:54 PM #113
I think it's reasonable to say that the console gaming market is booming right now - the 360 and the Wii are doing quite well. The PC gaming market, while not as accessible as the console gaming market, is still doing quite well and growing.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-12-28, 9:19 PM #114
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
Eight, Mine.
:awesome:

I'm sure.

Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Need I also remind you how that Halo 3 is no longer doing nearly as much sales (it literally died off after about the first week and a half), and that it only managed to boost 360 sales a tiny bit? Not exactly a strong case for console gaming over PC.

Why did it die off? 4.1 Million copies have been sold for a 360 install base of just under 8 Million. 52% of the people who can buy and play Halo 3, HAVE bought Halo 3.
Last Stand
2007-12-28, 9:19 PM #115
I think Halo are great shooters. Always action, in your face, and the multilayer is a lot of fun too. Going on bungie.net and checking your service record is fun by itself.

But I recently was turned on to COD4 which I can see spending a lot of my time on.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2007-12-28, 10:07 PM #116
I must be the only person that doesn't get why COD4 is so "great". Is it because it's not Halo? Because it's not the stupidfest that is Gears of War? (I don't care what you Gears lovers say, every multiplayer game I've ever played in Gears has sucked.)

I played COD4 at a friend's house. It struck me as nothing more than COD2 with some new features and a new face. Whoopie.

You can argue that Halo is the same way, and I'd agree. It is. And I expected Halo to stay the same. But everyone acts like COD4 is incredibly awesome because it's so different from the other COD games.
Last Stand
2007-12-28, 10:16 PM #117
It's 'great' because it's fun.. and who cares about older COD (world war games are over played)

I find it to have game play between Halo and Counter strike.

COD4 is a great game over older COD just like Halo 3 is a great game over old Halo games.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2007-12-28, 10:27 PM #118
I'm planning on getting CoD4, I really liked the first one. I have CoD2 on my computer but it didn't run well so I stopped playing. It will probably run better now since I have more RAM, I'll try it sometime and see.
2007-12-28, 11:12 PM #119
Originally posted by Z@NARDI:
It's 'great' because it's fun.. and who cares about older COD (world war games are over played)

I must be the only one that doesn't think it's fun then.

Of course, I've NEVER really enjoyed realism in my multiplayer games.
Last Stand
2007-12-29, 1:03 AM #120
I can't believe you were trying to make claims about the revolutionary footprint of Halo. Every thing Halo did had already been done before it, and done correctly. About the only thing you might argue for halo is that it did everything sub par, instead of one or two things fantastically. It had vehicles, it had multiplayer, and it had decent textures.

Halo revolutionized nothing, looked terrible in contrast to the competition, ran horribly on anything above an 8 man lan (AND EVEN THAT LAGGED), sported some of the worse AI in gaming history, and had some of the most unimaginative art/story direction. The only thing Halo revolutionized was the Madden model for FPS'.

And it's not that I think it's a bad game. It's just that it isn't the supertitle that it's hyped as, didn't revolutionized anything, and is a disgusting sink of time, money, and attention on its 3rd iteration when nothing but deserved patches to the original game are included. "The multiplayer works!" is not a new iteration: It's a patch. Games like Bioshock, Galaxy, and Oblivion get chump change next to this hunk of re-harvested FPS genre, and it really really doesn't deserve it.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ

↑ Up to the top!