Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Guns on Campus
Guns on Campus
2008-02-27, 8:57 PM #81
I agree, I have yet to see anyone actually address my points beyond creating a new absurd hypothetical situation to bring up a new point.
Warhead[97]
2008-02-27, 8:57 PM #82
Wait, if that role-playing gunman and his "fake gun" got shot by a student with a concealed weapon... wouldn't that actually be somewhat in favor for college students with concealed guns, saying that it has the possibility of extinguishing a potentially terrible situation?

Just saying.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-02-27, 9:04 PM #83
Well, they'll bring up the point that he would have never been shot if a student didn't have a gun on him, but they will completely ignore the fact that a school would never have even had such a drill if they allowed concealed carry on campus because of the possibility of that happening.
Life is beautiful.
2008-02-27, 9:18 PM #84
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
I'm fine with this. Remove a "safe zone" for ****ed up shooters, since now they can't just assume nobody is carrying.

Carp: zero-tolerance is such a crock of ****.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm actually a student at the University of Arizona, so this has been a big debate lately.

However, the fact that this only applies to concealed weapons permit carriers doesn't really mean all that much. It's only an 8-hour course for people over the age of 21 who can have absolutely no firing experience whatsoever.

That being said, the police on campus here are only interested in citing students for underage drinking and drug paraphernalia. Other than that, their response times have been notoriously slow.
2008-02-27, 9:24 PM #85
And we could of course bring up the Appalachian School of Law shooting, where a shooter armed with a handgun killed several people but was then subdued by two students who had handguns and a police officer.

Strange how this mass panic that was supposedly supposed to happen where the two students and the police officer start shooting at each other never actually happened, and instead the shooter was apprehended.
Life is beautiful.
2008-02-27, 9:31 PM #86
I dont think things are always going to work so conveniently. Just because the "good guys" have guns, doesn't mean they're always going to know who the "bad guy" is.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-02-27, 9:38 PM #87
He's probably the one unloading into the crowd inside your class room.

Edit: But I'm not an expert.

Edit2: Anyway, that's a risk I'd be willing to take, and a risk that anyone who chooses to use their concealed carry permit must be willing to take. It should be their decision, not yours.
Warhead[97]
2008-02-27, 10:23 PM #88
Originally posted by mb:
Im not going to pretend I know whats illegal when it comes to handguns, but I wouldnt exactly feel comfortable if i happened to know that the kid next to me had a concealed weapon like a Desert Eagle or something.

Again I dontk now the laws or anything, Im just stating my own opinion.

I would feel better.

I know he has at most 9 rounds (with a .357) plus one in the pipe. I know that when he fires it he will be hard pressed to group his shots well enough to hit me more than once.

Also, you will know he has it because those things are practically unconcealable.

They aren't more dangerous than any other pistol. The fact that you would be more afraid of a Desert Eagle tells me that your fears come from a lack of understanding of firearms.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2008-02-27, 10:39 PM #89
Did you not see where I said I dont know the legality of these issues? I'm not claiming to know EVERYTHING about guns. I just dont necessarily agree that more guns = safer everyone.

My fears dont come from the lack of understanding. My fears are of the people that might own that gun. Am I afraid of a .22? No. Am I afraid of someone pointing a .22 at me? Of course.

Point being my fear is of the people that shouldnt have guns. But maybe thats just because I'm from more of an urban setting :p

Id also just like to note that I havent been able to read the initial article fully yet so i'm not entirely sure what the whole deal with this is.
2008-02-28, 8:35 AM #90
Originally posted by mb:
Did you not see where I said I dont know the legality of these issues? I'm not claiming to know EVERYTHING about guns. I just dont necessarily agree that more guns = safer everyone.

My fears dont come from the lack of understanding. My fears are of the people that might own that gun. Am I afraid of a .22? No. Am I afraid of someone pointing a .22 at me? Of course.

Yeah and what I said has nothing to do with the legality. Desert Eagles are perfectly legal. You said you would not feel great about the person next to you having a Desert Eagle. Just having it, not pointing it at you. I dunno, I think that constitutes being afraid of it. Do you think that only bad people would own a Desert Eagle? Or that the only people who would carry them are homicidal maniacs?

Quote:
Point being my fear is of the people that shouldnt have guns. But maybe thats just because I'm from more of an urban setting :p

Yeah, we all are. Nobody is disagreeing with the fact that there are some people who shouldn't have guns.

Quote:
Id also just like to note that I havent been able to read the initial article fully yet so i'm not entirely sure what the whole deal with this is.

Okay.
2008-02-28, 11:54 AM #91
Im also trying to say that it matters who has it. I know a few people that have conceal permits, and Im alright with them being around. But again, I havent taken the time to read that article fully so I'm not exactly sure what would be the requirements and whatnot behind it.

Basically I'd feel a lot better about it if I knew the background checks were fairly rigorous.
2008-02-28, 12:44 PM #92
Originally posted by mb:
Im also trying to say that it matters who has it. I know a few people that have conceal permits, and Im alright with them being around. But again, I havent taken the time to read that article fully so I'm not exactly sure what would be the requirements and whatnot behind it.

Basically I'd feel a lot better about it if I knew the background checks were fairly rigorous.

Yeah I definitely agree there. At the same time, I don't want them to be designed by obnoxious bureaucrats or right (or left) wing nutjobs.
2008-02-28, 2:48 PM #93
Originally posted by mb:

That's true, but those are usually going to be the people who have guns anyway no matter what you do.

↑ Up to the top!