Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Game Validation = Fail!
Game Validation = Fail!
2008-05-07, 7:17 AM #1
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52547

Two games I was more than looking forward to for PC are now probably never going to be purchased by me. I've been following spore (big fan of maxis except for 'The Sims' franchise.) since the beginning... sucks to see they are taking this route.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-05-07, 7:26 AM #2
Wow.

Epic douchery, though it's not as though I were going to buy those games anyway. At least you can still play your single-player games in Steam if you can't validate after the initial installation.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2008-05-07, 7:27 AM #3
I'm still mad steam wont let me play Gmod without internet... bah.
2008-05-07, 7:29 AM #4
Really lame. I guess somebody's gonna try breaking that at least...

... at least I've got Mass Effect for the 360. Snappy!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-05-07, 7:42 AM #5
well, looks like i won't be purchasing those games now.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2008-05-07, 7:48 AM #6
Haha, that has to suck for people who don't have internet.
2008-05-07, 7:55 AM #7
Just a matter of time (days?) before this is broken and a moot point.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2008-05-07, 7:59 AM #8
It's still terrible.
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2008-05-07, 8:07 AM #9
This is absolutely ridiculous. PC gaming is dying and **** like this isn't helping.
2008-05-07, 8:26 AM #10
What are they going to do around the initial release? People are going to be annoyed that they have to connect every 10 days but they're going to pissed as hell when they have a legitimate copy that doesn't get validated because they're one of millions who bought the game on release date and they're all trying to access servers at once.
2008-05-07, 8:32 AM #11
Originally posted by Recusant:
What are they going to do around the initial release? People are going to be annoyed that they have to connect every 10 days but they're going to pissed as hell when they have a legitimate copy that doesn't get validated because they're one of millions who bought the game on release date and they're all trying to access servers at once.

I really hope this happens.
2008-05-07, 9:19 AM #12
I just wish they would find other ways to cut prices so maybe they wouldnt be 'as' pirated. I'll admit I used to pirate games in HS only because I had no job and no money to buy games, but now I have no problem buying games left and right. I even buy some just to support developers (Okami Wii recently).

There are a number of ways they could cut production costs to save on the price of the game... I know some people like to have boxes and manuals and CDs, but for PC games is it really necessary? I dunno... seems like there should be a better way to fix it.
2008-05-07, 9:41 AM #13
So they're going to make honest paying users into annoyed, confused customers, and we're STILL going to make it so the game doesn't check the internet every 10 days, and we'll use private servers to exchange spore creatures. You've essentially given hackers a fun challenge, and normal users a headache.

Great marketing team you guys have.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-05-07, 9:44 AM #14
Quote:
If customers do not come online after ten days, the game will cease to function.

So you have to play the game t least once every 10 days?
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-05-07, 9:44 AM #15
I pirate games specifically because of validation systems. There are many games that I've bought and found the validation system is either incredibly irritating or simply breaks (like detecting some perfectly normal software and refusing to install). A pirated copy is much more convenient, and sometimes much faster.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2008-05-07, 9:45 AM #16
That's some of the worse.

"oooh, oooh! He's got daemon tools! Let's not install ourselves, he's probably got an eye-patch."
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-05-07, 9:48 AM #17
I was really looking forward to Spore, too. Oh well.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2008-05-07, 9:50 AM #18
What would be smarter, is to just make the game detect the internet... if the machine has it, sure, check it... but if it doesn't then the people using it arent likely to have a pirated copy anymore because where would you get it? I can't say I have sent or recieved a HARD copy of any game that I did not buy since ~2001.
2008-05-07, 9:50 AM #19
Originally posted by JediKirby:
That's some of the worse.

"oooh, oooh! He's got daemon tools! Let's not install ourselves, he's probably got an eye-patch."

Hahaha.

Yeah, I remember Doom 3 being pretty bad for that. I had to uninstall about a dozen programs before I realised it was complaining about my LaTeX editor. Very bizarre!
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2008-05-07, 10:17 AM #20
Well, good job EA. You've now lost more money from people refusing to buy your crappy DRM then you would have from piracy.

(Oh, by the way, lulz at the fact that both of them are singleplayer games)
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-05-07, 10:20 AM #21
I miss the times when you only really needed a CD image and a ... game fix.

(And free HD space, sufficient hardware, Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools...)
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2008-05-07, 10:28 AM #22
I just sent EA a lengthy e-mail... should I get a response anytime (unlikely) I will repost it here.
2008-05-07, 10:36 AM #23
Can anyone tell me the point of an validation system that checks every 10 days? How would it stop piracy in the most ideal sense?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-05-07, 10:38 AM #24
Originally posted by mb:
So you have to play the game t least once every 10 days?

or maybe im just hoping that they're not that dumb
2008-05-07, 10:47 AM #25
whats the big deal why are you guys not going to buy it now...

just because it rechecks every 10 days?? so what..

besides I'm sure some hackers will crack it anyway
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-05-07, 10:48 AM #26
It wont matter if you dont have the internet... and if they crack it and your software doesnt check in, then you probably wont be allowed on the servers to download other worlds ect ect.
2008-05-07, 10:50 AM #27
ok.. so buy the game and everyone stop whining?
2008-05-07, 10:56 AM #28
Because if I dont play it for 10 days and it cant check for a new serial it locks me out of the game? makes sense.
2008-05-07, 11:01 AM #29
And let's say your computer is in the shop and getting repaired, essentially off for 10 days. Or what if you're on vacation? Or what if they servers are so cluttered with activation requests to the point you can't connect.

What if they changed 10 days to 2 days? Reasonable still?

It's not a matter of just inconvenience, people don't like to be viewed as possible criminals (especially when games cost $60). Pirating is going to happen, at least let honest buyers don't feel like culprits. It understandable if companies were always been paranoid since the birth of the CD key, but you can just see how much distrust of the consumers in a case like this.

And if people think that activation procedures don't fail, everyone still remembers when Half-Life 2 first came out. Things can go wrong. A game that suddenly stops working 10 days without internet access doesn't seem to be in the safe zone.
2008-05-07, 11:05 AM #30
Remember this:

Bioware: "Hey guys, stop worrying we didn't sell out! Honest!"
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2008-05-07, 11:40 AM #31
On second thought, it probably doesn't "lock out" forever. You just can't play it (if you got 10 days past) until you verify again.

That probably makes more sense.
2008-05-07, 11:46 AM #32
Not doing this would make more sense.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2008-05-07, 11:49 AM #33
Originally posted by Z@NARDI:
ok.. so buy the game and everyone stop whining?

It's a matter of principle. Paying customers shouldn't be treated like criminals.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-05-07, 12:02 PM #34
If it literally makes the game permanently unplayable after 10 days with no validation then it's the worst copyright idea in history. If you only have to validate it after 10 plays in order to play it again, then I guess it's no big deal. If they're really going to be using this method it needs to do it automatically and not make the user do anything special in order to play the game, however it still is obviously a problem for those who do not have internet access.

Overall, it's obviously going to be a failure.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2008-05-07, 12:11 PM #35
Agh... makes me hate EA even more. First the try to eat Take-Two... now they ruin spore and mass effect (pc)
2008-05-07, 12:45 PM #36
Won't stop me from buying Spore.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2008-05-07, 1:21 PM #37
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
What would be smarter, is to just make the game detect the internet... if the machine has it, sure, check it... but if it doesn't then the people using it arent likely to have a pirated copy anymore because where would you get it? I can't say I have sent or recieved a HARD copy of any game that I did not buy since ~2001.

You do realize that they could just unplug themselves from the internet to play their pirated copy?
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2008-05-07, 1:28 PM #38
Damnit i was really hoping to buy Mass Effect.
But i'll be damned if i give in to this crap. I bet i can find another way...
2008-05-07, 2:25 PM #39
Sounds like steam, doesn't work 90% of the time in offline mode for "various reasons" which they won't reveal. *sigh*
2008-05-07, 2:41 PM #40
Originally posted by Emon:
It's a matter of principle. Paying customers shouldn't be treated like criminals.

Well I do agree with that.. I'm sure they will have a way to play the game offline

↑ Up to the top!