Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Game Validation = Fail!
Game Validation = Fail!
2008-05-07, 2:50 PM #41
Originally posted by Z@NARDI:
Well I do agree with that.. I'm sure they will have a way to play the game offline

For 10 days.

This should be easy to crack, as it'll just require spoofing securicom as to what day it is while we dig further to sever its tentacle from the games themselves. We did it with Bioshock, we'll do it with Spore and Mass Effect. What's funny is that we'll be doing it with paid versions of the game.

And yes, the single player factor is hilarious.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-05-07, 3:49 PM #42
The sad part is, if you buy the game and complain loadly while you crack it, the company still makes money and doesn't care.

A huge morality question, Pirate it to prove a point, or buy it and be legit, with the company in the monatary clear.
2008-05-07, 3:52 PM #43
Solution: All buy GTA4, as that'll keep you occupied for months.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2008-05-07, 4:06 PM #44
I'm not a huge fan of this type of copy protection because someone in my situation that might take a laptop overseas where it won't connect to the internet for most of a year would be screwed. It seems for the typical home user that, if the process is transparent, there's no issue. The game simply checks periodically to ensure that it is the only registered copy for its key.

Those who complain simply for the "principle of it" probably are just looking for an excuse to *****. Those who have no access to the internet have a legitimate complaint.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2008-05-07, 4:16 PM #45
Yeah but does that mean you have to literally play the game once every 10 days? I know there are plenty of games that I own that I don't regularly play, but instead play every once and awhile. This forces you to at least do a checkup on the game, and I'd really rather not install some software that is going to run in the background of my computer that initiates its own scan every 10 days either.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2008-05-07, 4:17 PM #46
I doubt it. When you play the game it probably will just make sure the validation is within ten days. If not, I would think that it will revalidate.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2008-05-07, 4:26 PM #47
I am indifferent towards this validation scheme.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2008-05-07, 4:41 PM #48
Originally posted by JediKirby:
We did it with Bioshock, we'll do it with Spore and Mass Effect. What's funny is that we'll be doing it with paid versions of the game.
"We" indeed.

The most advanced CD detection algorithms do low-level driver hacking and defective sectors to encode an encryption key on the disc, which is then used to decrypt part of the game executable. So instead they're taking the key from the disc and bouncing it off of an internet server? What's the point? It's the same thing, only more annoying and more vulnerable to attack.
2008-05-07, 4:45 PM #49
I have this 'program' that runs other programs and fools them to think the date is whatever you set it as. I wonder if it would work in this case.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-05-07, 5:34 PM #50
Originally posted by Jon`C:
"We" indeed.

I was a prime beta tester for the bioshock cracks. Granted, our camp wasn't the ones who did it, we still contributed some of the primary pieces of information that counted towards the final crack.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-05-07, 6:21 PM #51
Originally posted by Jon`C:
So instead they're taking the key from the disc and bouncing it off of an internet server?

*gets his packet sniffer ready*
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2008-05-07, 6:28 PM #52
I have this 'program' that runs other programs and fools them to think the date is whatever you set it as. I wonder if it would work in this case.

I'm willing to bet the date observed is that on the company's server, not on your computer.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-05-07, 6:29 PM #53

Windows Clock...?
2008-05-07, 7:15 PM #54
It'll be a matter of days before someone gets a packet sniffer to see what data is sent by the game to the validation servers and what is sent back. Then they'll write a program that will intercept the data as the game sends it and send a positive confirmation back to the game, fooling it into believing it's checked the validation.
2008-05-07, 7:22 PM #55
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
I'm willing to bet the date observed is that on the company's server, not on your computer.

Not if you're always off the internet. If you're on the internet then there's no point in trying to circumvent it because, you know, it'll activate fine.
2008-05-07, 7:24 PM #56
Originally posted by Stormtrooper:
It'll be a matter of days before someone gets a packet sniffer to see what data is sent by the game to the validation servers and what is sent back. Then they'll write a program that will intercept the data as the game sends it and send a positive confirmation back to the game, fooling it into believing it's checked the validation.

If they're even halfway intelligent it'll be a little bit more complicated than just sending a "is this okay?" "yes, it's good" check. It'll probably be more like how SSH works, with a challenge-response system. Of course that's not to say it won't be crackable, just that it'll be harder than you're making it out to be.
2008-05-07, 7:31 PM #57
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Not if you're always off the internet. If you're on the internet then there's no point in trying to circumvent it because, you know, it'll activate fine.

It could check the company servers at install (Forcibly) and start a countdown by itself, ignoring the computer clock.
2008-05-07, 7:40 PM #58
I thought about posting this yesterday, ended up not doing it because I didn't care enough to start the thread. You guys have fun now with your silly validation keys and whatnot. I'll be over here playing Mass Effect without any issues at all on my 360. :p
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2008-05-07, 7:50 PM #59
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
It could check the company servers at install (Forcibly) and start a countdown by itself, ignoring the computer clock.

And what magical method is it going to use to keep track of time when the PC is turned off, without using the PC's clock?
2008-05-07, 7:55 PM #60
You guys, it happens invisibly. When you launch the game, it connects and checks your cd key and probably some other information and then you're "activated" for 10 days. If you've been playing (or not playing) for 5 days and then launch the game again, it'll reactivate on it's own, invisibly. If you don't touch the program for more than 10 days and then decide to play it, again it will verify on it's own and you're good to go. You don't have to actually reenter your CD-Key or anything every 5 or 10 days. It works almost exactly the same as any subscription based music service.

The only people this will actually affect are PC gamers who don't have internet. All 4 of them.

So quit whining. It's nowhere near as obtrusive as Steam which everyone seems to live with just okay.
2008-05-07, 8:01 PM #61
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
You guys, it happens invisibly. When you launch the game, it connects and checks your cd key and probably some other information and then you're "activated" for 10 days. If you've been playing (or not playing) for 5 days and then launch the game again, it'll reactivate on it's own, invisibly. If you don't touch the program for more than 10 days and then decide to play it, again it will verify on it's own and you're good to go. You don't have to actually reenter your CD-Key or anything every 5 or 10 days. It works almost exactly the same as any subscription based music service.

The only people this will actually affect are PC gamers who don't have internet. All 4 of them.

So quit whining. It's nowhere near as obtrusive as Steam which everyone seems to live with just okay.

It was also was supposed to be "invisible" in Assassin's Creed, but I seem to recall a lot of complaints about slow downs that mysteriously stopped when internet connections were disabled. (I cannot personally confirm this...:ninja:) Also, Steam stopped being DRM a long, long time ago, it's also wasn't made by Securom or handled by servers owned by Electronic Arts.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2008-05-07, 8:06 PM #62
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:

but if your off line during your 10 day span.. you could fool the game to think it's the first day every time you play
2008-05-07, 8:08 PM #63
Assassin's Creed is Ubisoft though, so what they did with that game doesn't really apply to Mass Effect or Spore.
2008-05-07, 8:09 PM #64
Windows Clock...?

no and if you have ever tried re adjusting your clock on a 30-day trial program you no it has no effect..
2008-05-07, 8:10 PM #65
what the hell is this "video game" i hear?
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2008-05-07, 8:38 PM #66
no and if you have ever tried re adjusting your clock on a 30-day trial program you no it has no effect..

I have a couple programs like this. Usually finding where they store the timestamp of when it was installed and deleting it is enough to reset the trial period. I used a process monitor to find out that one trial stored its stamp in IE's settings registry keys... and the name of the registry value was changed every program version (AND it was Internet-sounding).

Also on most of the programs adjusting your clock will fool it. Even with the most sophisticated programs, since they have no way to know how much time has elapsed since the last time they have been run, you could set the time to one second past when you last closed it and it should theoretically work.

The only way around this would be for the app to be always running a service in the background to spy on you, but that turns the app into malware IMO.

2008-05-07, 11:09 PM #67
I legally own Hitman 2, but for some reason when I applied the CD crack it ran about four times as fast, allowing me to max out all settings with my card. It may have been a bug with the copy protection and Vista, because I don't remember having that in the past.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-05-08, 5:23 AM #68
*sigh* Apparently the people EA has responding to e-mails are just as dumb as the people who thought up this piracy deterrent. I got the generic "unfortunately blah blah blah nothing of significance"
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2008-05-09, 1:04 PM #69
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52618

Apparently EA backed down after they realized what a disaster this would have been. You will now only need to re-validate when downloading new content for the games. However, they fail to specify just what exactly 'new content' is, and my guess is that patches would require re-validation as well. However, this is obviously not a big issue anymore, and I'm glad that they decided to fix this.
Author of the JK levels:

2008-05-09, 2:03 PM #70
revalidating for new content doesn't sound bad at all. I guess it could be depending on what exactly that new content is, but either way, I am relieved.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2008-05-09, 2:05 PM #71
But is there initial validation?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-05-09, 2:40 PM #72
Yes there is, but that's no different than most games/software requiring you to input a serial key upon installation. In fact, if it did a quick scan online to check to see if your key was valid at installation I would be perfectly fine with that, as it would help control piracy, at least to some extent.
Author of the JK levels:

2008-05-09, 5:20 PM #73
And now it's good again.
Yay!
2008-05-09, 5:22 PM #74
Well, it's not "good", it's just not mind-numbingly retarded anymore.
2008-05-09, 5:22 PM #75
It's EA, This is the best we can hope for.
2008-05-09, 7:46 PM #76
It's EA, This is the best we can hope for.

Only good post by this user.
<Rob> This is internet.
2008-05-09, 8:34 PM #77
Weren't you here when i destroyed Gold that one time?
2008-05-09, 9:22 PM #78
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
I would be perfectly fine with that, as it would help control piracy, at least to some extent.

whose side are you on
:master::master::master:
2008-05-09, 9:28 PM #79
Weren't you here when i destroyed Gold that one time?

Perhaps, but I have no recollection of the event so it is irrelevant.
<Rob> This is internet.
2008-05-09, 11:07 PM #80
Originally posted by stat:
whose side are you on

The publisher. I don't mean to be hypocritical as I used to pirate software and music all the time. Though I realized that it wasn't really worth it, and it was partly just because I was younger and felt that since I could get away with it then it was fine. However, now I actually like supporting the companies that make products that I can enjoy and get use out of, and not to mention when people actually buy products as opposed to pirating them, it helps prevent stupid *** ideas like this from ever even taking place.
Author of the JK levels:

↑ Up to the top!