Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
2008-05-21, 11:06 PM #1
...well I haven't seen it yet, but I'd imagine many of you attended a midnight showing. Hopefully I'll be able to see it sometime this weekend.

So yeah, any thoughts? The reviews thus far seem to be mostly positive, but I'm curious to see what you guys thought of it.
2008-05-21, 11:07 PM #2
Blah, if I knew the midnight showing was tonight, I probably would've gone. For some reason, I was thinking it opened Friday.
woot!
2008-05-21, 11:11 PM #3
So far the only things I've heard were "it was good"
and "avoid it."

so who knows!
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-05-21, 11:13 PM #4
Bah, I just noticed I forgot "Skull" when I copy and pasted the title. :o
2008-05-21, 11:21 PM #5
fixerooed
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-05-22, 1:06 AM #6
A second viewing will help me cement my feelings, but on the whole, it was a pretty good film. There was more than enough "Indy" moments to make it feel like the 4th film in the series. Harrison Ford actually gave a crap again; he became Indiana Jones again. A few little quibbles here and there, but on the whole, a more than worthy entry into the series; Depending on how I feel, maybe even better than Temple of Doom.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2008-05-22, 1:10 AM #7
Why did everyone hate Temple of Doom? Can someone help me understand this?

Also, Shai is keeping me from getting too excited. Please let me know if he ruins the movie, and I'll just wait until DVD to see it.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-05-22, 1:25 AM #8
Best end scene EVER. Don't you EVER touch that hat again...

I enjoyed it except for the stupid Lucas CGI animal moments. It's a lot more OUT THERE than the other Indy films, but I enjoyed it anyhow. I can overlook it's flaws simply because its INDIANA JONES!
Think while it's still legal.
2008-05-22, 3:06 AM #9
I hated the end scene. I felt it was way too cliche.

But generally I liked the movie.
2008-05-22, 3:06 AM #10
Oh and Kirb, I like Temple of Doom. I don't understand the hate either.
2008-05-22, 3:57 AM #11
I've just got back from seeing it tonight. Thoroughly enjoyed it. It was certainly an Indy movie.
I still like Last Crusade the best, but for me this one could probably tie for 2nd with Raiders.
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling ability!!"
2008-05-22, 4:42 AM #12
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Why did everyone hate Temple of Doom? Can someone help me understand this?

No clue, I thought it was decent. I want to punch that blond check in the face everytime I watch the movie, because of her constant screaming, but stiil a good flick in my mind.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2008-05-22, 7:43 AM #13
I was pretty fine with the movie up until Mutt started fighting with a sword while doing the splits on two trucks that were magically moving at the same velocity.

Then there was the monkey vine scene.

Then there were the ridiculous ants.

Then there was the water fall stuff... Crystal Skulls version of the airplane stunt of Temple of Doom.

It was alright. Pretty easy to rank it at the bottom of the four. I didn't care that much for the plot. Not too much complaint about the acting here. Thought Harrison Ford was good and even liked that one guy that played Mutt.

The alien thing was new, but if you ask me, the Indy movie that is still the strangest and most "out there" is Temple of Doom with all that cult stuff. The alien thing reminded me of the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark, only not as good. It was very predictable too.
2008-05-22, 9:19 AM #14
It's Mutt actually. And yeah, swinging? No.

Also: You know it's not really Indy when the very first shot in the film is a CGI gopher.
2008-05-22, 9:38 AM #15
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Also, Shai is keeping me from getting too excited. Please let me know if he ruins the movie, and I'll just wait until DVD to see it.

Shai was actually pretty good. He wasn't obnoxious and he wasn't super goofy. I thought he and Ford had pretty good rapport.
2008-05-22, 11:17 AM #16
I'd probably give it a 7/10. There were those scenes that were just like "Come on!"

The sword fighting, the monkey in the vines, the random fridge in a blast scene. The ants didn't really bother me as much - though it was just one of many scenes that reminded me of the Mummy.

I was loving it though until it got to the last 20 mins and I was thinking "WTF is this".

I saw it at the midnight showing where there were 4 showings of it going on. It seemed like most people were disappointed judging by the "Lucas ****ed up Indy now", "That had Lucas's touch all over it", and all the other rants that people had coming out of the theater.

I went with 14 people, and our group was primarly disappointed by it as well.

Not saying its the worst movie by any means, but a little bit fine tuning on the script could've helped it wonders.

I still recommend seeing it though! ;)
2008-05-22, 11:19 AM #17
George Lucas has now twice raped my childhood.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-05-22, 11:58 AM #18
It was somewhere in between kick-*** and pretty good. I was impressed that they did so well!

Also, I had such grave feelings of dread when I saw pics of Shia L. before release that his performance actually pleasantly surprised me. I'm not saying it was great, but it certainly exceeded my expectations. Also, I *loved* the nod to Marlin Brando in "Wild One" when Shia L. drove up for the first time on his motorcycle.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2008-05-22, 3:50 PM #19
just got back from seeing it now, I enjoyed it, I wouldn't call it the best indy by a long way but it was good fun and Ford did a good job again.

I'm not too happy with the ending and alien thing but, meh.

I kinda liked the whole a-bomb scene as it really showed how the world had moved on and Indy's place in it was coming to an end,

the scene with Indy standing there, silhouetted against the explosion fallout was pretty iconic for me and I loved it, the end of the age of adventure and the beginning of modern age, the "nuclear age".

anyways, it was good fun, few little quibbles but on the whole I liked it.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2008-05-22, 3:55 PM #20
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
Oh and Kirb, I like Temple of Doom. I don't understand the hate either.

I don't think it's hate, exactly. I like Temple of Doom, but it certainly...feels different to Raiders and the Last Crusade. I'm trying to figure out exactly why that is as I write this, and the best explanation I can think of is this: ToD feels...episodic. It's like, RotLA had Indy on the trail of the Ark, right? And The Last Crusade, Indy was after the Holy Grail. But ToD was sort of an accidental...sidequest, for lack of a better word. It just didn't seem to have the scope of the other films. Entertaining, but not as epic an adventure.

Of course, this is just my opinion. And I'm sure a lot of people dislike it for Shortround and/or Willie.

And I haven't seen Indy 4 yet, but I want to. Probably won't get the chance for a while, though :(
2008-05-22, 4:41 PM #21
I didn't like it at all.

I knew about the scripts that had been written and discarded and I presumed the UFO one was one of them. I was very dissapointed with it; I would have much preferred the one about the last small of Nazis persueing Indy trying to get revenge. I wanted religion, and instead we got Aliens which kind of contradicts the whole jew/christian theme from movies one and three in my eyes. I thought Marion was hard to look at in some parts, and the vine swinging just plain silly. I'm so dissapointed with it. Maybe I built it up too much. Urgh.. I'm going to watch the Last Crusade.
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2008-05-22, 5:27 PM #22
i thought it was pretty good, there were a few things I didn't like about it.. as follows

the CGI animals were stupid and unnecessary

The skull kinda looked like plastic with plastic wrap wadded up inside of it

I really didn't like how they FORCE FED everything to the audience... I figured out it was about aliens toward the beginning... then they had to keep putting obvious hints in, one after another.. (the shadow scene etc.) I was like.. "well DUH"

I really didn't like the gunpowder scene at the beginning.. the shotgun shell thing was ok, but I didn't like the floating magic cloud stuff.

And for the people who said it was too out there....
They must have forgotten the previous plots to the films.. a box that eats souls, and a cup that if you drink out of it, it makes you live forever.. Those sound very far out there too.. in my opinion interdimensional beings are much more plausible than the previous movies.
||||||||||||||||||||
2008-05-22, 7:19 PM #23
I said the EXACT same thing about the skull Spiral. I think that might actually be what it was.
2008-05-22, 7:19 PM #24
Quote:
I enjoyed it except for the stupid Lucas CGI animal moments. It's a lot more OUT THERE than the other Indy films, but I enjoyed it anyhow. I can overlook it's flaws simply because its INDIANA JONES!

I agree with everything you said. Though like one poster said, I would give this movie like a 7/10. The monkey scene was very embarassing to say the least. Also like Vincent said, starting out an Indy movie with a CGI shot of some stupid golfers? I honestly had a double check of what movie I was watching in the beginning (that scene combined with the lighthearted song).

Quote:
And for the people who said it was too out there....
They must have forgotten the previous plots to the films.. a box that eats souls, and a cup that if you drink out of it, it makes you live forever.. Those sound very far out there too.. in my opinion interdimensional beings are much more plausible than the previous movies.

I think it's the execution that has some people acting up. Some guy from another forum best explains it:
Quote:
It was just the way that they handled the concept of aliens. I would have been fine with it if more things had been hinted at, such as relevence of the aliens to the crystal skull or the psychic properties of it. They DID NOT have to show the skeletons molding together, and they DEFINITELY didn't have to show the fully fleshed out CGI alien. The saucer even was even way too much, and felt like a complete CG blitz for no reason. Couldn't they just have had a funky sound effect and giant flash of light off-screen? Bleh.

Where was the mystery of it all?! In Raiders and Crusade, they don't have a CGI version of God come down from the heavens and slap around the Nazis. There was always that sense of intrigue to it in which the audience was left more mystified than punched in the face with fact at the end of the movie. It just felt to me that it was too easy to make the aliens so apparent, and it lost sort of an Indiana Jones feel for me because of it.

Oh and to the people who said they hope this is the last Indiana Jones....I'm afraid Lucas wants to say otherwise
Lucas said that the door to a sequel has been left open and that even though he had yet to tell Ford or LaBeouf about it, he has "an idea to make Shia [LaBeouf] the lead character next time and have Harrison [Ford] come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie". Lucas has also said that age will not be a factor, saying about Ford that "he's 65 and did everything in [Crystal Skull]. The old chemistry is there, and it's not like he's an old man. He's incredibly agile; he looks even better than he did 20 years ago, if you ask me".
2008-05-22, 7:38 PM #25
As much as this is going to make people angry, as long as they make it a SPINOFF movie/series with LaBeouf and not an official Indiana Jones sequel, I am totally fine with that. I enjoyed the Young Indiana Jones films, and I wouldn't mind more Indiana Jones related films, but as for OFFICIAL Indiana Jones films, leave them to Ford and Spielberg.
2008-05-22, 7:51 PM #26
Originally posted by SAJN:
I said the EXACT same thing about the skull Spiral. I think that might actually be what it was.

i thought it also had one of those electric balls that arc to your fingers when you touch it stuffed inside along with the cellophane
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-05-22, 8:03 PM #27
i think it fit in rather well with the rest of the films. the cgi animals sucked, yes, but the alien thing, well... indy has alway been on the fantastical side of history, and aliens and mezzoamerican civilization arent that new of a concept.

it fits in even better if you factor in the indy novels and the video games.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2008-05-22, 10:25 PM #28
I liked the concept of bringing the maya and precolumbian world, but I didn't like the whole alien thing. It should have been called "Indiana Jones brings an alien head back to it's body so the mothership can leave earth", because that's essentially what the movie boiled down to. There wasn't a real sense of "what's the mystery/adventure" once they found the "Crystal Skull." Plus what exactly was the "kingdom" A gold city dedicated to gathering knowledge or some such? Pfft.
Also, Karen Allen's role shouldn't have been in the movie. It would have been better if Mutt had just been a sidekick instead of his son. I really REALLY didn't want him to be Indy's son going in.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2008-05-22, 10:58 PM #29
oh, the whole time in the movie i was waiting for the classic Shia "No No no no no no no no..." lines

totally didn't happen
i swear
Free Jin!
2008-05-23, 6:19 AM #30
Ehh...you guys are too harsh. I really loved it.

Yes, it was lame at times. The aliens seemed out of place. I would have been happier if they had been an extinct alien species and a crashed UFO or something. I didn't like how they came back to life and the UFO took off. A bit overdone and out of place.

BUT...I loved the movie. Plenty of excitement, adventure, fights, etc. It kept me at the edge of my seat, I didn't think twice at half the things you guys are complaining about, I just took it in stride.

My biggest complaint was that the whole movie looked great (non-CG), except for the aliens merging and coming alive . That was the only scene that tore me out of the classic Indiana Jones feeling to the whole thing.
2008-05-23, 6:23 AM #31
does it feel like an indiana jones film?
2008-05-23, 8:11 AM #32
Yes.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2008-05-23, 8:18 AM #33
I thought it was pretty great, except for all the CG. But that's to be expected with anything Lucas touches.

I swear the whole first 15 minutes were filmed in front of a green screen.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2008-05-23, 10:07 AM #34
As far as I am concernsd, there is no such thing as Rocky V, there is no such thing as Terminator 3, and there is no such thing as Indy 4. They don't exist.
2008-05-23, 10:19 AM #35
apparently the Russians don't like the plot
Free Jin!
2008-05-23, 10:45 AM #36
russians only like it if every russian or no russian are featured in films
2008-05-23, 5:33 PM #37
Originally posted by genk:
oh, the whole time in the movie i was waiting for the classic Shia "No No no no no no no no..." lines

totally didn't happen
i swear

Yeah I had the same thought throughout the movie. I thought he was going to say it because the monkeys were going to attack him, but nope. Instead they just had to have him play Tarzan, while the monkeys attack the evil commies.
2008-05-23, 7:27 PM #38
Originally posted by Steven:
As far as I am concernsd, there is no such thing as Rocky V, there is no such thing as Terminator 3, and there is no such thing as Indy 4. They don't exist.

What about Rocky Balboa? That was a damn good movie.

Overall I enjoyed IJ4 a lot. Its a welcome addition to the franchise. For those who blame the CGI animals on Lucas - remember Spielberg is the director and he gets final cut, those parts are as much his fault as Lucas' (if they were even Lucas' additions at all.)
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2008-05-23, 11:02 PM #39
meh

the CGI like stated before was eh

and the plot was kinda sucky with the UFO and all
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2008-05-23, 11:08 PM #40
I don't know why massassians all seem to hate cg so much.
Trust me, it's not going anywhere
You can't judge a book by it's file size

↑ Up to the top!