Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Thread about game controllers.
Thread about game controllers.
2008-06-08, 8:44 PM #1
Alright, so I tried playing FPS games on the Playstation 3 for the first time ever. I was at a friends apartment, and we played some Resistance:FOM and Call of Duty 4. To put it bluntly, I find the PS3 controller rather unwelcoming to the experience. True, a good portion of the problem is the simple fact I'm not use to the game controller yet and it would be rather unfair to me judge it right away, but I personally think the way the controller works is questionable. Hopefully I'm not the only one who feels this way. I don't want to be come out as a "fanboy" but I'm never been on friendly terms with Sony methods of control starting with the original Playstation controller to the PSP's layout.

Yes, all controller designs from every system has it's quirks, with some more than others *cought*firstXbox*cough*. And much has to due to past experience and personal shape of the hands. The main trouble I'm having when adjusting to the PS3 controller is:

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/Echoness101/SCEE_PS3_controller_top.jpg]

I could never get the hang of this, and it seems it's a lingering issue from the PS2 generation. The thing is, when I wrap my hands around the controller, my left thumb automatically goes toward the upper-left corner of the layout. If I can guess why it's because my left thumb, when seeking a comfortable position, often naturally retreats to my left pointer finger (which rests on top of the controller). So, for my ideal PS3 layout, the D-pad of the left would change positions with the left analog stick. But what the Sixaxis (and previous/current Dualshock) does is isolate the all-important analog stick to the bottom center and groups it, for me, uncomfortably with its sister stick. Thus, my thumb has to angle itself downwards toward there and loses some strength to really drive it. Not a devastating problem and isn't a big deal when it comes to certain genres, but I find it personally annoying when it comes to 3D games where a gun needs to be aimed (while running) and the fact I have long, thin fingers. Sometimes I feel cramps.

If we look at something such as the current Xbox360 controller, the analog stick is up in the "right" place. Therefore, I find it giving comfortable and easy input to all things character directionality. Before the Wii, Nintendo's Gamecube controller had the same general layout. So did the Dreamcast. How come Sony kept the roughly same design over the course of the first Playstation to the newest Dualshock, even translating it over to the PSP? If it ain't broke, don't fix it I guess. And I assume many, many gamers are very fond of it. Eh.

So there's my useless rant.

What controllers you find the most comfortable, most robust for games and durable? Which you hate most?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-06-08, 8:50 PM #2
Having the two analogue sticks at the same height makes sense to me, with Xbox controllers I always find myself holding the thing at 45 degrees trying to make up for one analogue stick being higher than the other.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2008-06-08, 8:53 PM #3
I hate the xbox controller, the playstation one is -much- better.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2008-06-08, 8:54 PM #4
I agree with Spork. [and deadman] I <3 the Playstation analog controller, and wouldn't have it any other way. If you're coming from another system it may take a bit to get used to, but once you do, it's far superior in my opinion.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2008-06-08, 8:56 PM #5
Just play with the controller some more and get used to it. That's all it is.
Pissed Off?
2008-06-08, 8:57 PM #6
Originally posted by Avenger:
Just play with the controller some more and get used to it. That's all it is.

Nah, I got myself an xbox 360 and have been playing it for ages now, the playstation controller is still much better
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2008-06-08, 9:01 PM #7
I have always hated the PS controllers, even the Xbox controller (in the right size) is nicer to use. I can't stand the directional buttons instead of a real d-pad.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2008-06-08, 9:03 PM #8
I can adapt pretty easily to most console controllers for most games, but I HATE playing an FPS on anything but a PC. I find using a joystick very awkward. I need the level of control a mouse provides. I suppose I could eventually get the hang of it if I really kept at it, but nuts to that. I shelled out a load of cash in January for a nifty new computing rig, and I can't afford any of these new-fangled consoles and their shooters. I hardly game anymore anyway.
2008-06-08, 9:05 PM #9
The N64 and Gamecube controllers were really the only ones I've played with that I didn't like. The 360 is definitely my favorite.

I don't know why they put the analog sticks at different heights, but it's always worked for me both ways so until now I never really thought to ask.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2008-06-08, 9:12 PM #10
Personally, I loved the N64 controller. I'm not sure I've ever really had a grip with any controller though, so...*shrug*
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2008-06-08, 9:18 PM #11
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
The N64 and Gamecube controllers were really the only ones I've played with that I didn't like. The 360 is definitely my favorite.

I don't know why they put the analog sticks at different heights, but it's always worked for me both ways so until now I never really thought to ask.

I have to agree; I love the Xbox360 controller. I find it a lot more comfortable to use than a Playstation controller.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2008-06-08, 9:36 PM #12
With any of the consoles I've played, the layout is not the thing that I notice it's the fact that after half an hour to an hour of playing my hands are horribly cramped.
Which is one (of many) reasons why I avoid playing consoles when ever possible.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2008-06-08, 9:40 PM #13
360 > *

I like having something to actually HOLD ONTO. There's meat on the 360 controller. There isn't on a Playstation controller. I'd only change one thing about the 360 controller, and that's getting rid of the ****ty D-Pad and replacing it with one similar to Nintendo's. I might not have to use it often, but when I do, I'd prefer to not have to fumble with it.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2008-06-08, 10:43 PM #14
every time I hold the ps3 controller I feel like I'm going to break it in half
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-06-08, 10:51 PM #15
The 360 controller is the best ever made. The gamecube was really comfortable, but the button layout sucked for some games.
Think while it's still legal.
2008-06-08, 11:22 PM #16
i dislike how all the Gun handles for the Wii don't have secondary copies of the buttons on the wiimote where you can hit them with your thumb while playing
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2008-06-08, 11:44 PM #17
Yeah, the 360 controller is the most comfortable I've ever used. My only gripe with it is that pretty crappy D-Pad, but it rarely gets used for anything more critical than navigating menus.
2008-06-08, 11:54 PM #18
The Playstation controller is probably the second worst controller I've ever used, only beaten by the original X-Box controller.

The 360 controller however is amazing, only faulted by it's mushy d-pad. The Gamecube controller is also fine, although playing brawl I wish the triggers were digital not analog.
2008-06-09, 5:45 AM #19
I love the Dual Shock controller. So much so that I bought one and an adapter so I could use it with my PC games. I can't say I've actually used a controller that I've felt noticeably awkward holding, but I haven't played an Xbox or PS3 yet so I can't comment on those.
2008-06-09, 5:56 AM #20
I absolutely hate the Gamecube controllers, but PS2/3 and Xbox360 controllers are very nice controllers to hold and to be able to quickly access buttons without looking.
DO NOT WANT.
2008-06-09, 6:16 AM #21
Originally posted by genk:
i dislike how all the Gun handles for the Wii don't have secondary copies of the buttons on the wiimote where you can hit them with your thumb while playing

I dislike how the Gun for the Wii is modeled after a hip-shooter and not something designed to use iron sights.
$do || ! $do ; try
2008-06-09, 7:29 AM #22
Originally posted by Gebohq:
Personally, I loved the N64 controller. I'm not sure I've ever really had a grip with any controller though, so...*shrug*

In context of the N64-Playstation era, I thought the N64 controller was much better than the PS1's due to the simple fact it had a analog stick, which was great in 3D environments as opposed to the frustrating Dpad-focused nature of its competitor. Then Sony released the Dualshock so it wasn't really a long-lived edge I guess. As a controller on its own, I thought the N64 was rather inefficient, especially when it comes to operating the clumsy Dpad up in the left corner. You had to take your hands of the main body of the controller, move your fingers around to a new position and hold the thing in a loose fashion in order to make use of that directional pad. Thank goodness no (good) games actually used that Dpad because taking your thumb off the analog stick and relocating it felt so awkward.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-06-09, 7:48 AM #23
Originally posted by LividDK27:
I love the Dual Shock controller. So much so that I bought one and an adapter so I could use it with my PC games.

This.

I actually dislike the 360 controller that much it's one of the reasons I'm still not sure what console I'm going to buy. The sixaxis I can't comment on but I'm told its light as hell.
nope.
2008-06-09, 8:42 AM #24
I don't understand how anyone could use those sticks. They're way down at the bottom making them infuriatingly uncomfortable to use.
2008-06-09, 8:50 AM #25
Originally posted by Gebohq:

*coughfanboycough*
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2008-06-09, 8:54 AM #26
I've always hated the Dualshock controller. It's one of the main reasons I never owned a PS2 (I'm like the only gamer, ever, to not own one). With the exception of the d-pad, I'd say the 360 controller is close to perfection. As others have said, the d-pad really isn't an issue in most games.
2008-06-09, 9:03 AM #27
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
I don't understand how anyone could use those sticks. They're way down at the bottom making them infuriatingly uncomfortable to use.

I reckon most people are probably inclined to use their... thumbtips? to use the sticks, but when I use a dualshock I have the sticks closer to the knuckle and it works dandy.
nope.
2008-06-09, 10:54 AM #28
[http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q72/chazghostle/sonylol.jpg]
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2008-06-09, 11:02 AM #29
I still have my microsoft sidewinder.

BEST GAMEPAD EVER.
2008-06-09, 11:09 AM #30
Originally posted by LividDK27:
I love the Dual Shock controller. So much so that I bought one and an adapter so I could use it with my PC games.

I have one of those, ironically I use it to play N64 games. And Psychonauts.

I wanted to get something similar for Gamecube controllers but I could never find anything, except import stuff online. I wasn't willing to go that path, I'd rather buy something from like Radio Shack where I got my PS1 adapter, or maybe newegg since I've ordered from them before.

2008-06-09, 11:10 AM #31
YES. Apart from the 360 <.<
2008-06-09, 11:13 AM #32
I tried playing Halo 3 on the XBox 360 for the first time ever this weekend. I can't use a controller for an FPS games it just doesn't work. Aiming is plainly horrible. It's not an issue with the controller itself. I could play Pro Evo and Project Gotham Racing fairly well, but trying to aim on an FPS game just feels so clumsy and awkward compared to keyboard/mouse.

My biggest gripe with every console controller ever is that essentially 6 of your fingers are wasted. You have the trigger button which needs 1 finger. All your others are wasted. This means that (e.g. as was frustrating me on halo3) to jump and turn at the same time, you have to remove your thumb from the analog pad, press the jump button then go back to the pad. This is just annoying when I have 3 fingers doing absolutely nothing.

On my PC, don't lose my thumb to turning as it's using my hand motions, I can use this for something else (I have an mx1000), then I have all my fingers free to press mouse buttons (even though I only use 2).
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2008-06-09, 11:37 AM #33
get a pair of these?
[http://benheck.com/Games/Xbox360/right2/hero_1.jpg]
[http://benheck.com/Games/Xbox360/access/access_hero.jpg]
Free Jin!
2008-06-09, 11:41 AM #34
What in the holy stupid hell are those...
2008-06-09, 11:43 AM #35
one handed controllers some guy made
Free Jin!
2008-06-09, 11:51 AM #36
I'm not seeing how you could use the second one with one hand.
2008-06-09, 12:12 PM #37
I quite like the 360 controller, I think my issues just come with the control schemes in some games.

(CoD4, the "hold breath" function while sniping is pushing down the same stick that controls movement.. meaning unless I'm some how pushing down perfectly, which never happens, I'm moving slightly in some direction, which pretty much negates the hold breath function.)
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2008-06-09, 12:14 PM #38
Both analog sticks being on the same side is stupid, how the hell are you supposed to move/turn/strafe/look at the same time?
$do || ! $do ; try
2008-06-09, 12:45 PM #39
Originally posted by Aglar:
I've always hated the Dualshock controller. It's one of the main reasons I never owned a PS2 (I'm like the only gamer, ever, to not own one). With the exception of the d-pad, I'd say the 360 controller is close to perfection. As others have said, the d-pad really isn't an issue in most games.

I never owned a PS2 either. I have no wish to. There's nothing there I care to play. Never has been.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2008-06-09, 12:50 PM #40
I never really had any major problems with gamepads that I've used with the exception of the NES and the original Xbox pads.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.

↑ Up to the top!