Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Thread about game controllers.
Thread about game controllers.
2008-06-12, 1:27 PM #81
Originally posted by Avenger:
Actually, it is. The more you uses something like a controller, the more you get used to using the thing.

We were discussing the merit of the controller itself, not the inherently obvious fact that humans adapt to things with experience.
2008-06-12, 1:30 PM #82
Originally posted by JM:
As for the other common argument, turn speed - that's a function of the game. If you can't play the game within the rules of the game world, don't play the game.

Except that in almost any PC shooter with high sensitivity I can flick my wrist and turn all the way around in less than a second.
2008-06-12, 1:38 PM #83
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
We were discussing the merit of the controller itself, not the inherently obvious fact that humans adapt to things with experience.

Yeah, if that's what you want to say. Sounds a lot more like complaining because something is awkward and not perfect the first time out.
Pissed Off?
2008-06-12, 1:51 PM #84
GTA SA is a perfect example of mouse vs keyboard.
On the pc the game is insanely easy (not that it's all that hard on the console, but still). You can just grab a pistol off the ground and wipe out armies of cops with headshots.
Also the fact that the majority of console games have auto-aim tells you something too.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2008-06-12, 1:55 PM #85
I'm really damned good at Halo, probably better than I am at counterstrike. But I still agree with CM: gamepads suck for aiming. The primary reasons are deadzones and general lack of motion. If the physical movements were bigger it would make a difference. As it is though, you have to choose between being able to turn quickly and being able to aim subtly. For instance, in Halo, if you have your sens way up so you can turn quickly, you'll quite often find yourself aiming in short bursts instead of smoothly. This is because of the deadzone. As such, I adjust gamepad sensitivity based on the gametype (3 for snipers, 7 for team slayer, 10 for warthog gunner).

These are problems I don't have in PC games. At all. Because mice are better.

As for more accurate moving, this is true but almost completely irrelevent when it comes to gameplay. Your ability to move at different speeds is useless because you will 98% of the time want to move at maximum speed. Your ability to move in more than 8 directions is next to worthless as well.
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2008-06-12, 2:15 PM #86
Originally posted by JM:
Cool Matty, but we are better. I can kill you with a mouse. AND I can kill you with a gamepad.

Yeah, that was an absolutely pointless remark. We're not discussing skill levels, we're discussing inherent flaws in design.

Quote:
And the dead zone on the 360 controller's analog sticks is not 'unpredictable'. You just don't have the fine muscle control needed to overcome it because you're not used to a pressure-sensitive device.
Yes, it actually is unpredictable, just as it is on any joystick/control stick without feedback. You have no idea when the game is going to start registering movement when you push it forward. It has nothing to do with fine control because it's random, and it's even different between each gamepad.

Quote:
As for the other common argument, turn speed - that's a function of the game. If you can't play the game within the rules of the game world, don't play the game.
Congratulations on absolutely failing to understand this entire argument.

As for Rob and the "index finger" idea: I don't know about you, but my finger couldn't do that for longer than 10 minutes before it starts getting incredibly sore on the side. It's ridiculously uncomfortable. Not to mention it screws up your grip of the triggers. You literally end up holding up the bottom of the controller with just your pinky.
2008-06-12, 2:39 PM #87
Originally posted by Avenger:
Yeah, if that's what you want to say. Sounds a lot more like complaining because something is awkward and not perfect the first time out.

Please quote the post where I voiced an opinion on the merits of any particular controller or type of controller.
2008-06-12, 2:42 PM #88
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
As for Rob and the "index finger" idea: I don't know about you, but my finger couldn't do that for longer than 10 minutes before it starts getting incredibly sore on the side. It's ridiculously uncomfortable. Not to mention it screws up your grip of the triggers. You literally end up holding up the bottom of the controller with just your pinky.

Tighten up grip with your left hand.

I've been doing it since like super nintendo so I could hit more buttons on the face because I have smaller fingers.
2008-06-13, 5:04 AM #89
Quote:
Yes, it actually is unpredictable, just as it is on any joystick/control stick without feedback. You have no idea when the game is going to start registering movement when you push it forward. It has nothing to do with fine control because it's random, and it's even different between each gamepad.

So you... er. Use the gamepad, and subconsciously and automatically adjust for it? This is where the fine motor control comes into play, see.
2008-06-13, 5:40 AM #90
Gamepads don't enforce a deadzone at all.
2008-06-13, 6:09 AM #91
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Gamepads don't enforce a deadzone at all.

No, the software does, but each gamepad needs its own deadzone setting. If they were all perfectly equal then there'd be no reason for deadzone configurations.
2008-06-13, 6:09 AM #92
Originally posted by JM:
So you... er. Use the gamepad, and subconsciously and automatically adjust for it? This is where the fine motor control comes into play, see.

And you still don't have a clue of what you're talking about.
2008-06-14, 8:54 PM #93
why would anybody want wow gold now that conan is out
2008-06-14, 9:01 PM #94
The million diehard nerds that will keep playing that crap no matter what comes out or how much it sucks.
2008-06-14, 11:14 PM #95
I personally, have to agree with one of the first previous posts and say for some reason, I have always been partial to the N64 controller. I don't really know why, it just seemed to adapt to my hands well. My only issue with them is that their analogs die out easily, thus killing their sensitivity after a year or so. I enjoy mine so much I purchased a USB for some PC games and emulators. Just my preference haha, although I wish I could find one that supported force fedback.

As for the PS/PS2/PS3 controllers, I agree with most of the others. They take some getting used to, and then you'll eventually be comfortable with them. I guess for those who have been using them since PSX, its a no brainer, but I can understand where your coming from with the akwardness.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2008-06-16, 3:20 AM #96
360 controller is the best. i love how it just sits in my hands while they're at rest. it's the clostest thing for me to the perfect controller. i think microsoft really did their homework after bombing with the original xbox controller. i almost feel like ms should put some buttons on the bottom of the controller, because you have 2 free fingers on the bottom.. talk about an easy reload/melee button setup for any fps.

i cannot stand the ps1/2/3 controllers.. they feel flimsy and are too slim for my grip to be comfortable. i feel like i have to turn my wrists inward to use them.

and nintendo... good for you for trying to be original and fight off being eliminated from the console market by coming up with a clever gimmick. /pat on the head. seriously, because that gimmick is all you really have. the wiimote is an absolute piece of ****. it is very unresponsive as a pointer and will cramp the **** out of your hands if you have to use it sideways.

again, just my opinion.
Current Maps | Newest Map
2008-06-18, 1:57 AM #97
I found the wiimote to be totally responsive, and endless hours of paper mario produced no cramps at all.
I -love- the wiimote gimmick, it's a fantastic party console.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2008-06-18, 5:45 AM #98
I think nothing beats the Sega 6-button pad, except maybe the sidewinder. I recall the d-pad on the sidewinder being a little crazy though.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2008-06-18, 11:15 AM #99
wiimotes are phallic

↑ Up to the top!