Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Speed limits
Speed limits
2004-08-11, 2:07 PM #1
speed limits suck. Most people can drive over 50 mph safely, so 35 mph zones should be upped to 40, 40 mph zones should be upped to 50, and 50 mph zones be upped to 60.

My theory is that insurance companies try to keep speed limits ridiculously low so people will speed and this allows the insurance companies to charge higher rates. Pricks. At any rate, its a conflict of interest.

I feel that if you can't handle a car when you're going over 40, then you should not be on the road. this includes most old people, but tough s***. I still get pissed b/c they're so damn slow and they don't seem to know what the gas pedal is for. If and when I get old, i'll still be hauling a**.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-11, 2:09 PM #2
us brits can drive at 70 mph.

But we usually push it to 90 mph [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-08-11, 2:17 PM #3
There are a few things to consider:

1) Compared to good ol' Britland, it's rediculously easy to get your license in the US

2) You can also drive at quite a young age, young people have bad judgement.

3) Speed limits aren't just to do with driving ability, but stopping distances. Someone may just be able to survive being hit by a car braking from 35, much less likely if it's from 40.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-08-11, 2:19 PM #4
I don't know why you'd want to drive so fast in England. If you went over 60, wouldn't it take a half hour to get to the other side?

------------------
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-08-11, 2:23 PM #5
Move to Bangkok, when I was there, there were no speed limits.
2004-08-11, 2:23 PM #6
It takes about 3-4 hours to just get from the midlands to the south coast.
Flickr Twitter
2004-08-11, 2:25 PM #7
I assume that there are now?
Flickr Twitter
2004-08-11, 2:29 PM #8
Speed limits on the motorway are sketchy at best here - I drive to Durham at an average of 85mph roughyl on the A1, despite the 70 limit, but when I'm in a built up area, I damn well stick to 30, because you just don't know what's coming. On the main road I lived on in durham last year (40 limit), a little girl on her bike came onto it from a side street (which was downhill - I don't think she quite had the braking thing down yet), and was taken out by a car doing just 40. She was killed instantly and she was about a week off being 8. It was terrible. If the road had a 30 limit, she might've lived.

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-08-11, 2:30 PM #9
Maybe when people get off their cell phones and pay attention when driving I'll agree, Page, but as of now, I'm almost rear-ended at least once a week from people who are clueless as to what's going on ahead of them. Though around here, we have higher speed limits, I live just off of a 55mph road.

------------------
Roach - Gyring and gimbling in the wabe...
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-08-11, 2:34 PM #10
It's illegal to use any mobile phone whilst driving in the UK unless it can be operated without hands (ie voice activation)
Flickr Twitter
2004-08-11, 2:35 PM #11
That's great and all, but it isn't the case here. It'd be nearly impossible to enforce such a law out here.

------------------
Roach - Gyring and gimbling in the wabe...
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-08-11, 2:48 PM #12
One can easily drive 90 - 100 MPH on I-15 from North San Diego County to Temecula.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-08-11, 3:03 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ:
It takes about 3-4 hours to just get from the midlands to the south coast.</font>

I was just kidding, it was a lame jab at Ebgland. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
2004-08-11, 3:09 PM #14
Har har, lucky me.
[http://www.phileos.com/pics/2003/speed_limit.jpg]

------------------
deviantART gallery.
2004-08-11, 3:13 PM #15
Great idea Page! I suggest we also increase the legal blood alcohol limit to 0.25% [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

Most people only think they can handle themselves at high speeds. My theory is that young drivers like yourself have a far too high opinion of their driving skills and bugger all experience to back up that opinion.

As Detritic mentioned, application of speed limits has more to do with reaction time and stopping distance. Sure you might be able to not fly off a corner at 50mph instead of 40mph, but if something unexpected happens, the amount of distance traveled before braking and your stopping distance is increased considerably. It doesn't matter how good of a driver you are it's still going to take you longer to stop and therefore increase the chances of you hurting yourself or someone else.

See, people are stupid and selfish. Thats why we have laws. Common sense would indicate that you dont talk on a mobile phone while driving. But people think they know better, so they do it anyway because it's more convenient for them, irrespective of the fact that have just increased the chance of killing themselves and more importantly someone else.

It's the same with speed limits. The speed limit for a given road has been applied to give people the safest driving experience without hindering their travel plans. You may not have thought of this, but the people who work in road safety will know more than you. So if people intentionally speed then they're little more than a selfish, childish prick, and frankly, I hope they wrap themselves around a light pole at some stage in the near future.

------------------
Run: forgetting passwords on a regular basis.

[This message has been edited by Fade (edited August 11, 2004).]
2004-08-11, 3:30 PM #16
As usual, the presence of Fade (Run) saves me a hell of a lot of typing.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonk WoW Petition <- SIGN!
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-08-11, 5:21 PM #17
Speed limits are good. They keep people alive.

------------------
"Look at me! I'm Tracer! BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-08-11, 5:30 PM #18
I just moved to Atlanta for college and if you are going less than 20 over you had better be in the right lane.

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-08-11, 5:35 PM #19
I actually had a professor lecture on this... the higher the speed limit, the higher the number of fatal accidents.

------------------
"I am downright amazed at what I can destroy with just a hammer."
-Atom and His Package
2004-08-11, 5:43 PM #20
Run changed his name to Fade? Oh, was wondering why I've been agreeing with so many people lately...
2004-08-11, 6:01 PM #21
Why is it that drunk drivers are never the ones killed in accidents (that countless people tell us about, "oh so and so died while the drunk driver had to live with the shame") I say we all get drunk and none of us will get hurt!

------------------
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2004-08-11, 6:03 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fade:
So if people intentionally speed then they're little more than a selfish, childish prick, and frankly, I hope they wrap themselves around a light pole at some stage in the near future.</font>

Well then call me a selfish, childish prick and watch me do 105 in the 50 zone again.

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.
2004-08-11, 6:03 PM #23
Even if people can handle themselves at higher speeds, some areas need a 25 or a 35 mph speed limit.

School zones for instance, or neighborhoods. There is no reason you need to be going 40 mph down a small street in a neighborhood.

------------------
[16:38] Correction: dick tracy was a real man
[16:38] happydud: Actually... He wasn't. :D
[19:08] Dormouse: hi, my name's happydud and i'm passive-aggress.. SHUTUP!! *stabs nearby orphan*
[You have gained 3 Dark Side Points]
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-08-11, 6:10 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
My theory is that insurance companies try to keep speed limits ridiculously low so people will speed and this allows the insurance companies to charge higher rates. Pricks. At any rate, its a conflict of interest.
</font>

Seeing that cars have a higher chance of being deeply screwed over at higher speed, the insurance company probably sets these limits so they can get away not paying too much for an accident. They don't want you being reckless of a car that is covered by them. Lower speeds = lower chances of bad car accidents. The company doesn't like paying for damages.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (or something of this matter. Just smile.)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-11, 6:15 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fade:
Common sense would indicate that you dont talk on a mobile phone while driving. But people think they know better, so they do it anyway because it's more convenient for them, irrespective of the fact that have just increased the chance of killing themselves and more importantly someone else.

</font>

I agree about that. I never answer my phone while driving; whoever's on the other end will await my convenience. I figure that if its important, they wil leave a voicemail or call me back.

i laugh at the people that scurry around with cellular phone holsters stuck to their waistbands, always talking on the phone. Their cell phones and other people end up owning them. I use a cell phone and realize the benefits of using one, but i'm never going to be tied to it like other people are. I would much rather talk to someone in person instead of talking into a machine.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-11, 6:20 PM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Echoman:
Seeing that cars have a higher chance of being deeply screwed over at higher speed, the insurance company probably sets these limits so they can get away not paying too much for an accident. They don't want you being reckless of a car that is covered by them. Lower speeds = lower chances of bad car accidents. The company doesn't like paying for damages.

</font>

hell, you can total a car by running into something at 30 mph (like a concrete street divider) as opposed to 50 mph.

A totalled car is a totalled car, regardless of the speed of the crash.

Besides, no one in my city seems to obey the speed limit anyway. Your chances of getting hit or causing an accident are probably greater while going the speed limit b/c everyone else is going faster and you have SUV-driving, latte-drinking people passing you on all sides. It's a recipe for disaster.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited August 11, 2004).]
2004-08-11, 6:21 PM #27
There's also gas milage to think about... you suck up a lot more gas for not making up much time or speed... and I don't want to think about what will happen when we run out of oil... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
Check out the following stories over at the Interactive Story Board:
The Never-ending Story Thread or visit the new webcomic version!
The Vision Cycle series
Featured Story: Scions of Light
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2004-08-11, 6:23 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gebohq:
There's also gas milage to think about... you suck up a lot more gas for not making up much time or speed... and I don't want to think about what will happen when we run out of oil... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

</font>

hydrogen fuel-cell powered cars or hybrid cars, for one.

also, the gas guzzling SUVs use far more gas than my 1998 ford contour ever does. I get 18
mpg city/ 21 mpg hwy on average.

------------------
2004-08-11, 6:26 PM #29
I drive slowly in hazardous areas... where there are tight turns and cliffs and stuff... And in town I drive slowly. But once I get on the open road... I haul *** . I just do it for fun though. I'm not in a hurry and I don't believe you save a good amount of time by driving 65 or 70 instead of 55... considering you have to slow down on turns... you save like 5 minutes on an hour long trip... So it's not cause I'm in a hurry.. it's just fun.

------------------
I figure that one day I'll either be famous, or in prison. But I guess if I'm going to prison, I should probably try to do something that would make me famous anyway.
>>untie shoes
2004-08-11, 6:27 PM #30
Quote:
also, the gas guzzling SUVs use far more gas than my 1998 ford contour ever does.</font>

This is a wonderful argument against conservation.
2004-08-11, 6:28 PM #31
Quote:

hell, you can total a car by running into something at 30 mph (like a concrete street divider) as opposed to 50 mph.

</font>

What about 30 mph to 90 mph??

Not all "totalled" cars are the same. Some are more extensive than others.

Well, the insurance company can't predict what could go wrong with your car and how tho avoid everything. One day, maybe your parked car rolled down your hilly driveway and crash ed into a church. But, using their logic, a fast car probably will cause more damage than a "slow-*** " car.

------------------

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (or something of this matter. Just smile.)
2004-08-11, 6:31 PM #32
Why are people in such a rush these days? I find automobiles to be a necessary evil, and quite frankly, I see nothing glamorous about speeding or driving recklessly. I find it disrespectul when people are riding my bumper when I'm the one that is actually obeying the traffic laws. Sadly, as with anything, people are generally disrespectful, and only seem to be concerned with themselves. Tis a sad world that we live in.

Remember children...life isn't a video game. Just because you can act the fool in GTA3 without any consequences, doesn't mean that you can always have it that way in real life. In other words, exercise some common sense, and show some compassion towards your fellow men and women. If speeding is really that important to you, maybe it's YOU that shouldn't be driving.

------------------
www.MentatMM.com (status = down :/)
Napalm Death Squad (status = alpha)
2004-08-11, 6:35 PM #33
Quote:

Besides, no one in my city seems to obey the speed limit anyway. Your chances of getting hit or causing an accident are probably greater while going the speed limit b/c everyone else is going faster and you have SUV-driving, latte-drinking people passing you on all sides. It's a recipe for disaster.

</font>

But it takes much longer to stop. Like people are saying.

------------------
"Look at me! I'm Tracer! BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-08-11, 6:35 PM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MentatMM:
Why are people in such a rush these days? I find automobiles to be a necessary evil, and quite frankly, I see nothing glamorous about speeding or driving recklessly. I find it disrespectul when people are riding my bumper when I'm the one that is actually obeying the traffic laws. Sadly, as with anything, people are generally disrespectful, and only seem to be concerned with themselves. Tis a sad world that we live in.

</font>

Its a psychological thing. People get pissed off on the road b/c slow drivers are holding everyone up by going slow when their car can go the same speed that everyone else's can. The problem is that these lumps of flesh just don't see the need to move with traffic and they don't care that the people piling up behind them are getting increasingly irate. Who are they to force everyone else to go slow? It's like having to follow a city bus that barely breaks 20 mph in a 40 mph zone-- you subconsciously want nothing more than to see it burst into flames and dissapear.

------------------

2004-08-11, 6:37 PM #35
Quote:

</font>

I don't know what city you live in but mine has traffic. Anyway, someone whos flooring it that goes into a telephone pole or any other car will probably do more damage to their vehicle than someone whos obeying the speed limit. And plus, a person who is driving within speed limits can brake before hitting something more effectively than someone going really fast.

And explain to me about this "safer to drive faster" involving SUVs and latte-drinkers. The logic isn't showing up to me. In this world, are there traffic-lights and laws behind driving?

------------------

---------@%

2004-08-11, 6:44 PM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Echoman:

And explain to me about this "safer to drive faster" involving SUVs and latte-drinkers. The logic isn't showing up to me. In this world, are there traffic-lights and laws behind driving?

</font>

my point is, if cars are swerving around oyu and passing you b/c you're going slow, you can be indirecty responsible for an accident b/c people are going to end up hitting something when trying to go around you.

also, people that swerve around on the roads
going around slow people are the ones that cause all the accidents on the freeways. I see these dips***s weaving through traffic all the time on the freeway, and they are always dodging slow cars. ironically, most of them tend ot be SUVs.

------------------

2004-08-11, 6:46 PM #37
[double post. Give us back the delete post function already!!!!]

------------------

2004-08-11, 7:03 PM #38
Quote:
my point is, if cars are swerving around you and passing you b/c you're going slow, you can be indirecty responsible for an accident b/c people are going to end up hitting something when trying to go around you.

</font>

It's these fast cars' faults if they hit a slower car (well, if the slower cars aren't going unreasonably slow). But increasing the speed limits isn't going to help this. By allowing higher limits doesn't mean everyone will drive perfectly and flawlessly. And telling drivers they must speed up won't help them or traffic in town and cities. Many people don't want to drive too fast (some are families with small children). Everyone can coop with slow speeds while some people can go really fast. Faster doesn't equal safer.

------------------

---------@%

2004-08-11, 7:04 PM #39
My policy on speeding is just judging (haha) the road you're on, when you're on it, and how many people are on it with you. My neighborhood, for example, I rarely speed in, and if I do, it's almost always during the day so I can see, and at a time when it's less likely to have children out.

It goes a lot for other roads. There's a big six lane road that my neighborhood connects to right now that houses are being built next to right now. The speed limit is 45, but I usually go 55 cause there's barely anything/anyone around, and you can see a lot ahead. Now when a lot more houses pop up and more cars are coming out of more streets, I might not go but 45 on it then.

Sometimes you have to go under the speed limit too. It's a LIMIT, not a minimum.

------------------
The Matrix is not Linux compatible.

You need only two tools. WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2004-08-11, 7:06 PM #40
Quote:
Besides, no one in my city seems to obey the speed limit anyway. </font>

If I close my eyes and chant real loud I can almost forget that you brought up the "everyone else is doing it, so why shouldn't I" argument.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Your chances of getting hit or causing an accident are probably greater while going the speed limit b/c everyone else is going faster and you have SUV-driving, latte-drinking people passing you on all sides. It's a recipe for disaster.
</font>

You skipped physics altogether didn't you?

velocity = distance/time.

So increased velocity over the same distance means less time to react and take appopriate action = more chance of crashing.

momentum = mass*velocity

This one says that the faster you are going, the more momentum you have. When you stop (crash) this gets converted to force via impluse momentum theorem. More force on impact = bad.

And just for fun:

Speeding is a pathetic lack of control thing. People get pissed off on the road b/c speeding drivers are cutting everyone off by going fast when their car can go the same speed that everyone else's can. The problem is that these lumps of flesh just don't see the need to move with traffic and they don't care that the people getting cut off are getting increasingly irate. Who are they to decide what the rules are? It's like having to slam your brakes on because some jerk cut you off-- you subconsciously want nothing more than to see the jerk slam into a wall.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!