Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Speed limits
Speed limits
2004-08-11, 7:14 PM #41
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by drizzt2k2:
Why is it that drunk drivers are never the ones killed in accidents (that countless people tell us about, "oh so and so died while the drunk driver had to live with the shame") I say we all get drunk and none of us will get hurt!

</font>

Because the alcohol keeps them from tensing up when the accident happens. A relaxed body doen't injure as easily as a rigid one.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-11, 7:36 PM #42
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JudgeDredd:
My policy on speeding is just judging (haha) the road you're on, when you're on it, and how many people are on it with you. My neighborhood, for example, I rarely speed in, and if I do, it's almost always during the day so I can see, and at a time when it's less likely to have children out.</font>

My thoughts exactly. Although I dont like speeding in the backstreets at all, during the day there's always kids with zero road sense, and at night there's a lot of cats.

Last Sunday night I was driving home along the 8-lane freeway at 3.30am. There was not a single other car on the road in front or behind me or on-commming on the other side of the massive barrier. Was I doing the 100km/h speed limit? Not exactly...

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-08-11, 7:38 PM #43
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
Because the alcohol keeps them from tensing up when the accident happens. A relaxed body doen't injure as easily as a rigid one.</font>

Which is why you should always chug a cold one before hitting the road [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

/bad joke

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.
2004-08-11, 7:43 PM #44
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fade:
You skipped physics altogether didn't you?

</font>

Yes. i also skipped algebra 2, calculus, trig, and all of that other useless stuff. I also set a lab table on fire by accident in chemistry class b/c i misinterpreted a formula.

Math has been my greatest weakness. I seem to have gotten increased abilities in creativity, art, writing, etc. in return for giving up some of my math ability at some point.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-11, 7:56 PM #45
Well if you believe in yourself and your ability to do math, so shall it become in time. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

But until then, I would avoid making recommendations for ammendments to laws regulating the movement of large metal bodies that are governed by physical principles.

------------------
Run: forgetting passwords on a regular basis.
2004-08-11, 8:08 PM #46
Well I guess I didn't elaborate enough about that. I speed for fun, but if I get behind someone going the speed limit, I don't get pissed. But when someone goes 25 in a 55 I can get a little dicked. If you're going 45 in a 55.. I'll probably pass you just because I don't feel like crawling along that slowly. But if you're going 55 in a 55 I'm not going to pass you. It just doesn't make any sense that way. And I don't consider cars to just be transportation. They are a source of much fun and enjoyment for me. And I don't drive stupid either. Sure I bury the speedometer occasionally.. But only on a road I know I can do it on without dying or being hassled by the five o. Most of my driving "fun" consists of braking hard into corners and accelerating hard coming out. You don't really have to go fast to have alot of fun in a car, but if I see an open straight stretch... I'm droppin' the hammer. Just for the hell of it. And don't tell me it's lack of control. I alreay told you I don't do it because I am in a hurry. I do it for fun. Who are you to tell me how to have fun? If I think driving fast is fun, I'm going to do it, and I don't think you're right about it being lack of control. I can control myself and drive 55 for hours. But when I get in a car I usually get in because I wanna have some fun. And I drive rather briskly. I usually don't hit more than 65 for the most part, because I don't drive fast enough to be dangerous on the road. Then again you'd have to be going 85 to really be in danger of crashing on my roads. It's almost like they were designed like race tracks. It's sweet I tell you. I yearn for a v-8 car with huge brakes.

------------------
I figure that one day I'll either be famous, or in prison. But I guess if I'm going to prison, I should probably try to do something that would make me famous anyway.
>>untie shoes
2004-08-11, 8:31 PM #47
What the hell happened to the good old hovercar idea? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
deviantART gallery.
2004-08-11, 8:48 PM #48
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bill:
Well I guess I didn't elaborate enough about that. I speed for fun, but if I get behind someone going the speed limit, I don't get pissed. But when someone goes 25 in a 55 I can get a little dicked. If you're going 45 in a 55.. I'll probably pass you just because I don't feel like crawling along that slowly. But if you're going 55 in a 55 I'm not going to pass you. It just doesn't make any sense that way. And I don't consider cars to just be transportation. They are a source of much fun and enjoyment for me. And I don't drive stupid either. Sure I bury the speedometer occasionally.. But only on a road I know I can do it on without dying or being hassled by the five o. Most of my driving "fun" consists of braking hard into corners and accelerating hard coming out. You don't really have to go fast to have alot of fun in a car, but if I see an open straight stretch... I'm droppin' the hammer. Just for the hell of it. And don't tell me it's lack of control. I alreay told you I don't do it because I am in a hurry. I do it for fun. Who are you to tell me how to have fun? If I think driving fast is fun, I'm going to do it, and I don't think you're right about it being lack of control. I can control myself and drive 55 for hours. But when I get in a car I usually get in because I wanna have some fun. And I drive rather briskly. I usually don't hit more than 65 for the most part, because I don't drive fast enough to be dangerous on the road. Then again you'd have to be going 85 to really be in danger of crashing on my roads. It's almost like they were designed like race tracks. It's sweet I tell you. I yearn for a v-8 car with huge brakes.

</font>

yeah, i'm the same way. I generally don't go above 50 on surface streets if other people are going that fast, but on the freeway, I generaly get it up to 80 if i hit a fast-moving stretch. At most, my car will do 130 mph, but I have never gotten it going that fast yet.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-11, 9:37 PM #49
I HATE people going at or below the speed limit in the fast lane. Even when the signs are posted "slower traffic keep right"

I'm probably one of those people that some of you described that would love to see get plowed into a wall. Well I don't go as far as cutting people off, but I'm a fast driver.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-08-11, 9:54 PM #50
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bill:
But only on a road I know I can do it on without dying or being hassled by the five o. </font>

Most accidents happen near home or on roads that drivers frequently travel.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">And don't tell me it's lack of control. I alreay told you I don't do it because I am in a hurry. I do it for fun. Who are you to tell me how to have fun? If I think driving fast is fun, I'm going to do it, and I don't think you're right about it being lack of control.</font>

Law says X mph. You say bugger it, I'll go X+10mph. How is that not control? You're doing something you know is wrong for no more reason than you want to.

I'm not disagreeing with you over whether or not cars can be fun, but there's a time and place for it. Major or suburban roads with defined speed limits are not it.

A few years ago the police in my area opened up an old race track and let people go nuts on it. They had paramedics and so forth on hand. Really well organised events but it got too expensive to keep it running. Even though I couldn't care less about cars, it would be good if more of these things could be run.

Irrespective of that, just because you can drive and you like to break the speed limit doesn't mean you should. If you want the right to drive a vehicle, you have to be aware you your responibilities. The laws aren't there to stop you having fun, they're in place to protect you and everybody else.

------------------
2004-08-12, 2:11 AM #51
E = 1/2 mv^2

Your energy is proportional to the square of your velocity. When you go three times faster, you have nine times the energy.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-08-12, 4:16 AM #52
I'll tell you all... Keep to the speed limit. Now, I have now car, but I am a sensible man when it comes to the law. In Sweden, you may push it by 10%. I don't know if you can do that where you're from. If I ever drive, and I come to a school zone, I'll do what it says on the sign/road. School zones = 30km/h. City = 50km/h. Leaving city = 90km/h. On the freeway = 110km/h. I'll do no more...
Unless I have a vehicle with a stopping distance of 1mm no matter the speed, and I have a very fast mind to be able to catch every nano second, then I'll pulverise the speed limit. Otherwise, I'll try to keep the needle on the number.

WARNING! Try not to be a Mid-Knight bus from Harry Potter.

[This message has been edited by Edward (edited August 12, 2004).]
Edward's Cognative Hazards
2004-08-12, 4:22 AM #53
I usually drive 15 over the speed limit. Except in school zones. Or if I see a cop.

------------------
What once was...
Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2004-08-12, 5:25 AM #54
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I HATE people going at or below the speed limit in the fast lane. Even when the signs are posted "slower traffic keep right"
</font>

well if they are going the speedlimit it shouldn't be an issue, cause you shouldn't be going faster than it. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it</font>

---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it
---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
2004-08-12, 6:07 AM #55
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ:
It's illegal to use any mobile phone whilst driving in the UK unless it can be operated without hands (ie voice activation)</font>

That's same around me, NJ just instituted that law, and its a great one, if you ask me. i hvae a cell phone, and if i need to talk to someone badly enough, speakerphone works perfectly well and i don't have to take my hands off the wheel.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by drizzt2k2:
Why is it that drunk drivers are never the ones killed in accidents (that countless people tell us about, "oh so and so died while the drunk driver had to live with the shame") I say we all get drunk and none of us will get hurt!

</font>

Actually, i remeber discussing that with someone for some reason. The thing is, lchohol is a depressant. its makes you relax. When in an accident, the sober person tenses up, which leads to far more injuries. the drunk person remains lax, and so doesn't get nearly as hurt. Bastards.

[oops. avenger already said it. oh, well.]

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
also, the gas guzzling SUVs use far more gas than my 1998 ford contour ever does. I get 18 mpg city/ 21 mpg hwy on average.</font>

0_o and you consider that good? mine gets about 23 mpg city driving, and its a 1990 celica!

Quote:
[double post. Give us back the delete post function already!!!!]

</font>

I don't agree with you on anything else in this thread, but i second this, as always.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Edward:
WARNING! Try not to be a Mid-Knight bus from Harry Potter.</font>

Haha. Excellent advice, that.

---------------

And, finally, my advice. Now, i have a sports car. An old sports car, but its still a sports car, and its fun to fool the governor and jump 60 mph in a handful of seconds. However, that doesn't mean i do it all the time. Not hardly. And if i ever do it, it on the highway, where ~80 mph is perfectly fine. Around me, its permissable to go 10-15 miles above the speed limit, but no more. I never have any inclination to go faster, except if i'm late for school, and even then i normally just end up not slowing down as much for turns as i should, not speeding. I live around and have to travel on a very busy road, and i never have, and, hopefully, never will be stupid enough to attempt to speed on it. The speed limits are there to protect me as much as anyone else. If someone hits you because they were speeding, page, guess what! You get to sue! There is no god reason to speed, besides getting somewhere quickly (in which case, leave earlier!) or because its fun, and the second is really, really not a good one. far worst then the first. Oh, and if anyone uses the 'well, everyone else it doing it!" line again, i'm personally gooing to come to your house and slap some sence into you.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²[/i]
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-08-12, 6:27 AM #56
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Noble Outlaw:
Oh, and if anyone uses the 'well, everyone else it doing it!" line again, i'm personally gooing to come to your house and slap some sence into you.

</font>

Better yet, drive through their house! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

[This message has been edited by Edward (edited August 12, 2004).]
Edward's Cognative Hazards
2004-08-12, 7:19 AM #57
Fade wins.

------------------
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2004-08-12, 7:34 AM #58
I don't intentionally speed in areas with a 30 or 40 limit, but I usually find myself creeping up to about 35/45. When I notice tend to ease off a bit. If there's a nice empty and straight road, I may take some more liberties.

There's also the psychological factor, people will always try and push the limits of what they are allowed to do. If the limit is 30, they'll initially try to keep to 30 but they'll end up doing 40. The answer to this is not to increase the limit to 40, as this will just mean people will do 50. People can have a good degree of control at 80, but rarely much higher, this is why the limit is 70.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-08-12, 10:39 AM #59
It's generally safer to keep up with the traffic than to create a roadblock. Learners over here are completely forbidden to break the speed limit even withut taking the 10% margin of error into account. That means they're going at thirty while most other people on the road are going at thrity-five. I've also seen quite a few people get pissed off enough to overtake in a single-lane road. It's rare in towns but it's bloody common on the motorway... A lot of people go around a hundered miles an hour around the M25 or eighty-five around the M20 when the traffic flows (which isn't often, I can tell you).

------------------
Wise men say that fools rush in where angels fear to tread, so look before you leap, so to speak, because the grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-08-12, 10:42 AM #60
Quote:
speed limits suck. Most people can drive over 50 mph safely, so 35 mph zones should be upped to 40, 40 mph zones should be upped to 50, and 50 mph zones be upped to 60.</font>
Not around here. People can barely drive 10 MPH safely.
(Idiots.)

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
Massassi's cuttin' into my free time, man.
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Worship Examples - Christians' love for God should be seen and heard, not merely talked about. It is through actions that one is determined to be Christian, not through words. Words (and thoughts, as well) deceive even one's own self, but the heart speaks truth.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-08-12, 11:20 AM #61
The only time I ever do the speed limit is if I am in a zone where there could be possible children playing, or any kind of a residential area. Other than that, get the hell out of my way. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
2004-08-12, 11:23 AM #62
Quote:

My theory is that insurance companies try to keep speed limits ridiculously low so people will speed and this allows the insurance companies to charge higher rates. Pricks. At any rate, its a conflict of interest.

</font>

OH MY GORD IT'S A CONSPIRACY.

------------------
Wake up, rise and shine, Gotta take another pint, Dig heads and watch out for the night.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-08-12, 12:01 PM #63
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Seb:
OH MY GORD IT'S A CONSPIRACY.

</font>

Of course. Just like the feminist conspiracy to destroy masculinity. Seriously, Page, you're starting to sound like a bad X-files script.

Meanwhile, I find it pretty humorous that the same people who b*tch about speed limits are also the ones who b*tch about speeding tickets. "I don't want to obey the law, but I also don't want to be punished for not obeying the law." Newsflash, gang, actions have consequences.

Meanwhile, here's a bit of a rant. All you "MUST SPEED TO PROVE MANHOOD!" drivers, knock it off in park and school zones. I'm sick of doing the speed limit while going through a park zone and having one of you jack*sses start riding my bumper. I'm so freaking sorry if my desire to not get hit with a massive ticket or, much worse yet, injure a child kills your auto-erection.

------------------
I live in the weak, and the wounded.
I live in the weak, and the wounded.
2004-08-12, 12:03 PM #64
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darko:
Of course. Just like the feminist conspiracy to destroy masculinity. Seriously, Page, you're starting to sound like a bad X-files script.

</font>

I can't trust you, you're one of THEM! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
2004-08-12, 12:12 PM #65
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by clan ruthervain:
us brits can drive at 70 mph.

But we usually push it to 90 mph [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
</font>

What him said ^ [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Fire Pretty - Graz's Armoury - (That's my blog...)

The Soviet Bunker - (That's my forum...)

"Thou shalt not steal. (Because the government doesn't like competition!)"

How to keep an idiot busy: See below
How to keep an idiot busy: See above
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-08-12, 12:37 PM #66
two rules that are absolutely essential for safe driving.
1 - get off the ****ing phone!
2 - slower traffic keep right (not just traffic going slowr than the posted speed limit).

www.whopissedyouoff.com read the front page.

------------------
Pissed off?
2004-08-12, 1:29 PM #67
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Delphian:
What the hell happened to the good old hovercar idea? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

</font>

http://www.moller.com/skycar/

There you go.

BTW, what's a speed limit? ;-)

------------------
Four dimensions, four fundamental forces... coincidence?
Stuff
2004-08-12, 2:43 PM #68
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darko:
All you "MUST SPEED TO PROVE MANHOOD!" drivers, knock it off in park and school zones.
</font>

You would not believe how much I get abused for doing the limit in a school zone. What the hell is going through these peoples head? "Oh gee, a school zone with dozens of 7 years olds with no road sense. I better speed up because the less time I'm in the school zone, the less chance I have of killing someone!"

------------------
2004-08-12, 4:13 PM #69
Most people don't pay attention when they drive.

I frequently drive without hands while eating and talking on my cell phone and watching videos on my DVD player, and I've never been in any accidents because I pay attention to the road.

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-08-12, 4:19 PM #70
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Roach:
That's great and all, but it isn't the case here. It'd be nearly impossible to enforce such a law out here.

</font>

It's illegal in my county, however people still do it. I have noticed however that the number of people chatting on their cell phones while driving has gone down.

------------------
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-08-12, 4:38 PM #71
If I'm gonna speed, it's only if the road is empty and there are no cops around. And then it's only 10-20 over. Otherwise, I stick to the speedlimit.
2004-08-12, 9:28 PM #72
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">also, the gas guzzling SUVs use far more gas than my 1998 ford contour ever does. I get 18 mpg city/ 21 mpg hwy on average.</font>

Hah. That's just about what my Explorer gets (maybe not average, but sometimes). Possibly higher on the highway.

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-08-13, 1:21 AM #73
There's a lane for going faster.

If you're in the wrong lane and you complain, you're a moron.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-08-13, 10:18 AM #74
Quote:

hydrogen fuel-cell powered cars or hybrid cars, for one.

also, the gas guzzling SUVs use far more gas than my 1998 ford contour ever does. I get 18
mpg city/ 21 mpg hwy on average.

</font>

just had to say something on this....

firstly everyone goes on about these hydrogen fuel-cell cars....if people are willing to pay in excess of ~£100,000 (~$180,000) for cars to equal to the performance of todays model's, then you welcome to them. As mavispoo will be able to point out (I think she was in the lecture we had last term on Thermal and Kinetic Physics) the technology for having these cars is around but the dangers involved in them are really far too great to make them fully safe to use at the moment....the hydrogen needs to be pressurised at something like 50+ earths atmosphere and there is a whole bunch of other stuff that is still in the experimental stage and prone to failure.

on the mpg's....geh god if you think ~20mpg is fuel efficent, WAKE UP, I get 50+mpg out of my car and I am still able to keep at constant 85 mph on the motorways no trouble and have great acceleration....

now I might get a few people a little angry here but it needs to be said for the rest of the world....

america is consuming a VAST amount of oil and uses some of the most fuel IN-efficent cars in the world and yet pays some of the lowest prices for fuel in the world. Car ownership in the US is on the up all the time and the trend for even more powerful fuel hungry cars is still on the up, car companies have tried to introduce smaller more economical cars into the US but these are normally met with luke-warm responses and on the whole don't succeed (mini's and a few others being the exception)....

today's rocketing fuel prices are just a taste of what is to come in the next 20-30 years.

now i'm no tree hugging hippy but I do realise that a new fuel source needs to be found, they are far more important uses for crude oil than burning it. Hyrdrogen fuel cell cars will help when they arrive but thats not for at least the next 10-20 years and it will take a further 10-20 for them to be fully intergrated into society, by that time crude oil supplies will be getting extremely low.

It's about time people realised that they can't keep going around buying 3-4 tonne cars for just themselves to drive and think that 20mpg is good fuel economy because its not...the new 350z coupe is a top end sports car that has better fuel economy than that!!!! you can still buy smaller cars, get better performance and save yourself money....and if someone starts taking the piss, ask for a race round a circuit (not just the oval ones, a "proper" race circuit), see who wins....

/rant...gggrrr
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2004-08-13, 10:27 AM #75
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">america is consuming a VAST amount of oil and uses some of the most fuel IN-efficent cars in the world and yet pays some of the lowest prices for fuel in the world.</font>

Don't you see the connection? It's a cause and effect kind of thing, though I'm not sure which is the cause and which is the ffect.

Also, and I'm not defending everyone, just pointing something out...some people need those kinds of gas-guzzling vehicles. Now, I don't need my explorer. I've only filled it with people once and I've never filled it with stuff. However, it's what I got because it was FREE. Anyway, there are plenty of people around here, the oklahoma area, who NEED trucks to do their work. As for the SUVs, sure, there's plenty of obnoxious folk, but they're not all bad..*points at self*.

Anyway, my point was the cause/effect thing. If our gas prices were higher, we'd use more fuel-efficient cars. They aren't that high, so we don't have to. the fact that the hybrids cost MORE initially than normal cars doesn't help.

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-08-13, 10:31 AM #76
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by James Bond:
on the mpg's....geh god if you think ~20mpg is fuel efficent, WAKE UP, I get 50+mpg out of my car and I am still able to keep at constant 85 mph on the motorways no trouble and have great acceleration....</font>

I just have to ask what model you have, because as far as I remember, the best milage to a non-hybrid car was around 42 mpg, and those cars don't exactly have the best acceleration times.

------------------
Roach - Gyring and gimbling in the wabe...
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-08-13, 11:04 AM #77
Renault Clio 1.9d, have driven a turbo d aswell and that returns only 3-4 mpg less...

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,14146-1113632,00.html

read a little review, gives mileage figures in article too, cars are no slouch....

i'll take this quote....

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">For the best economy, however, the diesels are well-nigh unbeatable: the 1.9 drives well and will easily return more than 50mpg.</font>

I do apreciate that people do sometimes need the big engined cars, my dad has a 3.2 turbo diesel 4x4 that they use to tow the caravan (esh) when they go on holiday. Where we live we can sometimes get cut off and need something like that to get out, but even that does 25mpg+. Bare in mind how much this gets used, last model we had for 6 years, in that time it did 26,000 miles...not very much at all, it sits in the garage and gathers dust most of the time, he cleans it even when it hasn't moved out the garage in weeks, you can appreicate where the "car-nut" in me comes from.....

we also have an small mpv (did have a 1.9TD hatchback, went like anything) which gets used for most of the driving around for normal stuff.

[edit]

before people start saying diesels are slow and smelly, (read a article in my dad's autoexpress about americans opinions on diesels), just go take a peak at what volkswagen/BMW/Honda are making of their diesels....

BMW 3-series....(choose diesel engine if not selected)

http://www.bmw.co.uk/apm/new_bmw/mid/index/0,3032,1156_1490__bs-Mw%253D%253D%252Bbb-TEk%253D,00.html

stats = 0-62mph (7.2 secs), 42.8mpg, 204 bhp, Torque = 410Nm (that'll beat a Hell of a lot of other cars, pure grunt power)

-----------------

Volkswagen Passat

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new_cars/passat_saloon/engines#

go down and choose some of the diesel engines, V6 is a good one near the bottom.

couldn't be arsed to look at the honda website...

[/edit]

------------------
I heard someone say once that the world is a fine place and that it was worth fighting for....I agree with the last part.

Rbots website

[This message has been edited by James Bond (edited August 13, 2004).]

Rbots
2004-08-13, 11:08 AM #78
That doesn't seem like it'd be very easy to find in the US...

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-08-13, 11:31 AM #79
renault clio models, yeah probably, they don't export them over there in big quantities because no one buys them....

the BMW's and VW's on the other hand.....they have exported them and even with these specs have sold relativly low numbers compared to petrol counterparts with worse performance and lower fuel economoy.....

however the trend is sloooooowwwwwly changing from what i read...i'm going to try and find the article about *supposeid* american car usage online but not hopefull....

------------------
I heard someone say once that the world is a fine place and that it was worth fighting for....I agree with the last part.

Rbots website

Rbots
2004-08-13, 11:37 AM #80
You added those. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] Now i have to go back and read again.

Those cars are expensive...without knowing all the details i can say it seems like it'd be good to move in that direction, but at the moment it's not very economic for people like me.
------------------
WOOSH|-----@%

[This message has been edited by BobTheMasher (edited August 13, 2004).]
Warhead[97]

↑ Up to the top!