Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Doom 3 VS Half-life 2.. Editing?
Doom 3 VS Half-life 2.. Editing?
2004-08-13, 5:54 AM #81
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Matthew Pate:
Jedi Academy didn't have anything approaching Doom 3's GUI system. That is, in-game GUI; apparently the menus and HUD are done with the same system as the in-game computer screens with Doom 3. JA may have used the former, but it certainly had nothing like D3's in-game GUI system.</font>

Yeah, I just meant it had the same basic syntax and stuff as Quake III Team Arena...definitely not VGUI-2. It'll be interesting to see what can be done with the system...especially since it seems id Software pretty much did it by hand in notepad. Good thing they included Quake IV's GUI editor Raven made...

[This message has been edited by Gabro_bot (edited August 13, 2004).]
2004-08-13, 5:59 AM #82
Heh, did you actually go in and look at how it was doing all that? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]
2004-08-13, 6:08 AM #83
http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=1
http://www.doom3world.org/index.php

I read or seen a thread mentioning how to throw a NPC or ragdoll through glass.. Its like raident but beefed up! I love doom3!

------------------
-- [url="mailto:Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com"]mailto:Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com[/url]Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com</A>--The Bounty Hunters Arc Forum--Firehound Inc.--
-- Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com--The Bounty Hunters Arc Forum--Firehound Inc.--
2004-08-13, 6:17 AM #84
Oh, that reminds me...bring down the console and type in "g_dragentity 1" and you can use the crosshair to grab objects and move them around. Dead enemies are especially cool with the rag doll physics and stuff...you can grab them by their legs, ankles, arms, ect.
2004-08-13, 6:19 AM #85
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SilentSavur:
http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=1
http://www.doom3world.org/index.php

I read or seen a thread mentioning how to throw a NPC or ragdoll through glass.. Its like raident but beefed up! I love doom3!

</font>

You may already know this, but you can throw pretty much anything through glass in HL2. :P

------------------
[="Rememeber that history isn't how the corporate controlled media made it look like. Read between the lines and free your mind. Evolution is the birth of equality and the anti-thesis to opression." - Immortal Technique=]

Massassian since: March 12, 2001

[This message has been edited by Sol (edited August 13, 2004).]
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-08-13, 7:23 AM #86
Hm. I may be mistaken about the whole VGUI-2 thing. I could have sworn I read somewhere that they use the same system, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. My mistake.

------------------
Moo.
Moo.
2004-08-13, 12:07 PM #87
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gabro_bot:
Heh, did you actually go in and look at how it was doing all that? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]</font>

Nope, because these were user made levels.

------------------
[="Rememeber that history isn't how the corporate controlled media made it look like. Read between the lines and free your mind. Evolution is the birth of equality and the anti-thesis to opression." - Immortal Technique=]

a stroll to my step;
2004-08-13, 6:40 PM #88
Interesting. Sol, got email?

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-13, 7:53 PM #89
Wow, here's some interesting stuff from QuakeCon...

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3611

"The models and normal brushes both create the same amount of polygons, so either way performs great. They just decided to use models cause it was easier for them.
I asked about detail brushes, he said they are useless in doom3.
Outdoor areas arnt limited any more than indoor areas, except you wont be able to have as much detail because of the high poly count. He also said lighting up an outdoor area is complicated, because there are no textures/entities which give off light unlike quake3. Even the skies give off no light. All light is used with the light entity.

One kickass editing tool/command you can use in the game which shows how many lights are lighting up each surface, which is a good indicator of what may be making your map run slow. Alot of lights on one surface = bad."

"I was at the level editing and mod making round tables at quakecon (posting from quakecon right now) and asked a few questions. I don't know what is already known or what has already been posted in regards to the round table discussion, so I'll just try to cover the questions I asked if I can remember them all.

There's a new way to apply texture alignment and scale from a brush onto your patches. Have your patch selected, then hold alt and middle click on the brush that you want to pull the texture from. This is helpful in not only does it use the same scale as your brush, but it takes care of the lack of not being able to cycle textures on a patch with ctrl-shift-n (they specifically said the new editor doesn't have this, so it's not just a changed key command).

There are no light emitting textures in Doom 3 at all. None of the sky boxes emit light (as many have noticed, which seems strange). The way they did outdoor area lighting is they would just use one big light to light up the entire area, and then go back with smaller lights to fix corners and areas that need a bit more birghtness. You can figure this out from looking at the maps, but it's nice to have some sort of confirmation on how they did that.

Radiosity lighting is something they're working on. It seemed to me like it will be a feature in a future patch, but not for certain. It's still something that's very under wraps.

The nurb editor was added late in the game and was only used for a few things (it's used for moving cameras and objects). One specific example was they used it for flipping tiles up off the ground. They said it can also be used to move platforms or cars.

The SDK will come with vehicle scripts and a demo map with a six-wheeled buggy with shocks on each wheel, with the physics being based on frictions. The friction supposedly works great and when driving over imps, sometimes their limbs will get caught in between the wheels and it will pull their body through along with their limb.

The GUI system was used very lightly in Doom 3. One of the id guys said you can take the scripting as far as making your own mini-operating system to emulate a full blown computer."

Radiosity lighting possibly coming in a patch, great friction physics with the vehicle wheels and a GUI system allowing you to program an operating system? No way to avoid it...that is sweet! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
2004-08-13, 8:32 PM #90
You better have about 10 gigs of ram if you want radiosity lighting in real time. I've got 512, and a 640x480 render in Lightwave with radiosity turned on takes about 3 minutes. And that's with no AA. You want that to happen 30 to 60 times in one second? And keep in mind that's a SMALL scene. With one object weighing in at 5000 polys or so. With ONE light. I think radiosity is a LITTLE bit out of reach for now. Maybe in about 6 or 8 years. We're just getting the hang of real time dynamic lighting. I don't think there's a computer out there with the sack to handle real time radiosity.

------------------
I figure that one day I'll either be famous, or in prison. But I guess if I'm going to prison, I should probably try to do something that would make me famous anyway.
>>untie shoes
2004-08-13, 8:36 PM #91
ctrl+alt+`

Code:
map testmaps/test_lotsaimps

tee hee

------------------
ZGPC

[This message has been edited by finity5 (edited August 13, 2004).]
2004-08-14, 5:34 AM #92
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bill:
You better have about 10 gigs of ram if you want radiosity lighting in real time. I've got 512, and a 640x480 render in Lightwave with radiosity turned on takes about 3 minutes. And that's with no AA. You want that to happen 30 to 60 times in one second? And keep in mind that's a SMALL scene. With one object weighing in at 5000 polys or so. With ONE light. I think radiosity is a LITTLE bit out of reach for now. Maybe in about 6 or 8 years. We're just getting the hang of real time dynamic lighting. I don't think there's a computer out there with the sack to handle real time radiosity.

</font>

Well, it's not going to be as good as Lightwave, but it would still be better than nothing...I bet John Carmack can figure something out. Of course on the other hand, I get the feeling that right now they (the other id Software guys) don't know if JC can pull it off, so they aren't making any promises. Oh, and caustics take a hell of a long time as well, but they are possible using fragment programs. Radiosity would probably be fragment program also.

------------------------------------

One thing that has just come to my attention...I was just looking at the third CS: S video from this thread on halflife2.net, and I saw something that quite honestly astounded me (not in a good way I'm afraid). Now, I had thought that regardless of the graphics, Source's physics (Havok, although I’m not sure if that includes collision detection) would be pretty good...that's why this came as such a shock.

The first thing I noticed was that a barrel rolled right through a bottle (or something on the ground) without affecting it. It's hard to tell in this shot, but if you watch the video you can see that rolls right through it.
[http://home.earthlink.net/~elkgarden/physics_clip_1.jpg]

Then a moment later I see the following...this you can easily see in the image...the paint can rolls right through the other can.
[http://home.earthlink.net/~elkgarden/physics_clip_2.jpg]

Now, I don't mean to nitpick minor bugs, but this seems rather major...hell it would be one thing if it only happened once, but it happens twice in a very short period of time. I can somewhat understand the clipping in the early Half Life 2 screenshots...it was in an early stage and they had bugs that they needed to fix. However, when Half Life 2 is about to come out in the next month or two, these sort of things should not be present. It's not like you need to have people play a Beta thingy to figure out that you've got objects often rolling through other objects. This should have been fixed already, and the fact that it hasn't makes me wonder if it will be (or can be).
2004-08-14, 5:51 AM #93
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Interesting. Sol, got email?

</font>

Yep, check my profile.

------------------

a stroll to my step;
2004-08-14, 6:22 AM #94
Gabro_bot, the reason why objects may not interact perfectly ONLINE is because it would be a waste of bandwidth.

------------------

a stroll to my step;
2004-08-14, 6:35 AM #95
Sol appears to have this one figured out.

------------------
I figure that one day I'll either be famous, or in prison. But I guess if I'm going to prison, I should probably try to do something that would make me famous anyway.
>>untie shoes
2004-08-14, 7:51 AM #96
Ok, so the large objects like the barrels are handeled server side, and the small objects like the bottles are handeled client side so they won't interact with each other...but then why are the paint cans which are the same size not interacting? I would assume there is just an inconsistancy with what they are set as...not a problem then.
2004-08-14, 8:29 AM #97
The radiosity is most likely faked, but that's good enough for now. Real time radiosity isn't really feasible.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-08-14, 8:38 AM #98
Hmm. Perhaps, I just hope they have a good reason.

------------------
"Judging by the name of the author, and the name of the work, I'd guess it's an energy "beam". You know, like in the Japanese cartoons where those guys with big hair fly around, talk philosophy, and shoot fireballs at each other." - Hellequin
*insert some joke about pasta and fruit scuffles*
2004-08-14, 9:37 AM #99
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sol:
Yep, check my profile.

</font>

"Email: Not Available"

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-14, 10:15 AM #100
You've convinced me. I'm downloading tutorials and will begin learning to map in Doom 3 now. Wohoo.
You...................................
.................................................. ........
.................................................. ....rock!

↑ Up to the top!