Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Cops protocol
Cops protocol
2008-12-15, 8:34 PM #81
Originally posted by Avenger:
Uh, that sounds nice and all, even almost works as an example, but war crimes are defined acts that are illegal, so committing them is pretty much breaking the law. A cop "committing a warcrime" would be planting evidence, use of excessive force, etc, not enforcing existing laws.

Fine then, if you don't like my analogy, then pretend I didn't make one.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2008-12-15, 8:35 PM #82
Police are not there to decide what laws are wrong and what laws are right. They are simply there to keep the peace and enforce what has been made law. Once arrested you can argue the law unjust.

In full disclosure I very nearly joined the police force (my wife killed the idea as to dangerous ;) ) so I am just about as biased as JLee but I really don't think police should have their balls busted by just doing the job they are paid to do. Some cops suck and are over zealous but most want to just do a good job and come home at night safe.
Think Them Skimpy thoughts!!!
2008-12-15, 8:35 PM #83
And if the laws change, they enforce the new laws.
Pissed Off?
2008-12-15, 8:44 PM #84
Originally posted by Freelancer:
I fault cops for enforcing unjust laws. The same way that "I was following orders" does not exempt you from war crimes.

Key word being "crime." :P

If I follow an illegal order, I am committing a crime- that would better fit your analogy.
woot!
2008-12-15, 8:45 PM #85
Originally posted by Z@NARDI:
Yes no ****. But when I call 911 how does GROVE CITY know to call me back. My area code is 614, Columbus

The cell tower. That's all they need to know which department to route you to. Cell towers are generally spaced about 2 miles apart in suburbs. And yes, if they are able to perform triangulation, they can get within 100 feet or less of you, but that's depending on what towers are around and how dense.
2008-12-15, 8:48 PM #86
Originally posted by JLee:
Key word being "crime." :P

If I follow an illegal order, I am committing a crime- that would better fit your analogy.

No, because it doesn't accurately reflect my sentiments. I fault cops for enforcing marijuana laws.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2008-12-15, 8:50 PM #87
No, because it doesn't accurately reflect my sentiments. I fault cops for enforcing marijuana laws.

Looks like you're going to have to get used to the idea that you don't run things, then. If you don't like it, change the law.
woot!
2008-12-15, 8:52 PM #88

You don't get to pick and choose what laws you want to follow.
Pissed Off?
2008-12-15, 8:54 PM #89

lol? Of course I do. Everybody does.
2008-12-15, 9:14 PM #90
Let me rephrase that then, you are free to pick and choose which laws to follow, but you are also responsible for the consequences of breaking those laws if and when caught breaking said laws.
Pissed Off?
2008-12-15, 9:26 PM #91
Cops can't choose what laws to enforce because they would lose their jobs if they did.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-12-15, 9:29 PM #92
Precisely.
2008-12-15, 9:36 PM #93
:tinfoil:
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2008-12-15, 9:38 PM #94
Precisely.

Thus, by obvious logic, it's the cops' fault. Brilliant! :downswords:
Pissed Off?
2008-12-15, 9:40 PM #95

Why not?

You might spend a couple days in jail MAYBE.. pay a bunch of money PROBABLY, YES..

So, if you're prepared to pay($$$) the consequences you can break any law you want.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-12-15, 9:42 PM #96
Yes, I clarified that above.
Pissed Off?
2008-12-15, 9:42 PM #97
Originally posted by Z@NARDI:
Why not?

You might spend a couple days in jail MAYBE.. pay a bunch of money PROBABLY, YES..

So, if you're prepared to pay($$$) the consequences you can break any law you want.

Read the rest of the thread. ;)
woot!
2008-12-15, 9:46 PM #98
Thus, by obvious logic, it's the cops' fault. Brilliant! :downswords:

Nope, thus people who feel the way I do don't become cops because they wouldn't want to be put in a situation where they do something they think is unjust. Thus, the problem of cops corrects itself. Ideally.

In reality, this just creates more room for power-hungry jerkwads who don't give two ****s about justice.
2008-12-15, 9:47 PM #99
Right. All cops are powr hungry jerkwads.

And by your own words, you are blaming cops.

I fault cops for enforcing unjust laws.
Pissed Off?
2008-12-15, 9:49 PM #100
Yes, it is. If by some horror I woke up a cop tomorrow, I'd probably get fired for refusing to bust some pot-smokers.
2008-12-15, 9:52 PM #101
Yes, it is. If by some horror I woke up a cop tomorrow, I'd probably get fired for refusing to bust some pot-smokers.

I have a feeling you wouldn't make it past the drug screening.. :neckbeard:
woot!
2008-12-15, 9:53 PM #102
And by your own words, you are blaming cops.

For the third time, yes. :hurr:
2008-12-15, 9:54 PM #103
I have a feeling you wouldn't make it past the drug screening.. :neckbeard:

I've never done a single drug in my life, except that time I got my appendix out and they gave me morphine. I've never smoked nor drank either.
2008-12-15, 9:56 PM #104
For enforcing the law when they aren't the one's who make the laws. Do you see the huge gap in logic here?
Pissed Off?
2008-12-15, 9:56 PM #105
I've never done a single drug in my life, except that time I got my appendix out and they gave me morphine. I've never smoked nor drank either.

I'm surprised.
woot!
2008-12-15, 9:59 PM #106
For enforcing the law when they aren't the one's who make the laws. Do you see the huge gap in logic here?

The way I see it, the only people who should enforce a law is the person who made it. It is, after all, his morals, not anyone else's.
2008-12-15, 10:01 PM #107
That's nice and all, but the police don;t make the laws so blaming them for enforcing the laws makes you look dim.
Pissed Off?
2008-12-15, 10:04 PM #108
what happens if someone that issued a law dies o_o
2008-12-15, 10:04 PM #109
The way I see it, the only people who should enforce a law is the person who made it. It is, after all, his morals, not anyone else's.

So you think police should be able to make up their own laws?

That could get interesting.
woot!
2008-12-15, 10:07 PM #110
That's nice and all, but the police don;t make the laws so blaming them for enforcing the laws makes you look dim.

Oh, really? You bet I blame them when someone who isn't even a criminal by any stretch of the imagination gets prison time. Just because it's a law doesn't make it right to do to another living being.
2008-12-15, 10:12 PM #111
I would blame them in a case like that sure, but I'd also blame the courts for failing as well. Of course, you're changing the subject here since we were never talking about innocent people being arrested and sent to jail, but rather police enforcing the law.
Pissed Off?
2008-12-15, 10:14 PM #112
I would blame them in a case like that sure, but I'd also blame the courts for failing as well. Of course, you're changing the subject here since we were never talking about innocent people being arrested and sent to jail, but rather police enforcing the law.

wooooooosh
2008-12-15, 10:15 PM #113
Oh, really? You bet I blame them when someone who isn't even a criminal by any stretch of the imagination gets prison time. Just because it's a law doesn't make it right to do to another living being.

Police don't sentence people. Judges sentence people.

Wooooosh.
woot!
2008-12-15, 10:17 PM #114
No, see, I got exactly what you were getting at. And yes there are abuses of power by police. Innocent people do unjustly get sent to jail and what not. However, that was never the subject being discussed. You blame police for enforcing unjust laws. Police don't make the laws. Thus, by blaming them for enforcing the laws, you misplace the blame.

Oh, and if they aren't criminals according to you, but they've broken a law, they are still criminals even if you don't happen to agree with the law they broke.
Pissed Off?
2008-12-15, 10:18 PM #115
Police don't sentence people. Judges sentence people.

Wooooosh.

The bureaucracy is powerless without their mercenaries. You are where the rubber meets the road. The law is just a bunch of pen strokes on a piece of paper somewhere in Washington. Without you, it is powerless and inconsequential. You are the law.
2008-12-15, 10:22 PM #116
So which is it? A bunch of pen strokes in Washington or the police? Because there is no way it can be both.
Pissed Off?
2008-12-15, 10:23 PM #117
I am the law.
2008-12-15, 10:24 PM #118
The bureaucracy is powerless without their mercenaries. You are where the rubber meets the road. The law is just a bunch of pen strokes on a piece of paper somewhere in Washington. Without you, it is powerless and inconsequential. You are the law.

If the judge were to deem the law unjust and issue a verdict of not guilty, there isn't much I could do about it. I make the initial arrest, but don't influence the sentencing process. Without the court system, the laws wouldn't have any force behind them.
woot!
2008-12-15, 10:26 PM #119
No one would ever be in a court if not for you.
2008-12-15, 10:28 PM #120
well thats not entirely true :ninja:

↑ Up to the top!