Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Cops protocol
Cops protocol
2008-12-16, 5:58 PM #161
Originally posted by JM:
And for Wookie : Two things.
a) Your daughter is like, two, right? What the ****.
b) People need to stop trying to parent other people's kids. I understand if you see someone taking a baseball bat to a nine year old, but I watched a guy get arrested once for smacking a three year old on the but after the child ran into a walmart parking lot and almost got run over.
c) Seriously, why did you leave her in the car?

a) She is 21 now. She would have been about six at the time. My son is about to turn three, that could be the confussion there.

b) That's rediculous. If a person believes corporal punishment is inappropriate for their child that is fine. It is a judgment call that a parent has to make. Unfortunately we have a current social situation where if the police don't make some response the public will hold them accountable when something terrible happens later. For example, let's say the cop responds to the call and decides not to take action and the guy later beats his kid to death. The media and public will unfairly rip the police to shreds because they "failed" to take action on a previous incident. Same reason 99% of the time someone is going to jail on a domestic disturbance call.

c) She was tired and didn't want to go in the store. I rememberred being able to do the same thing when I was a kid. The parking lot was crowded and I judged her to be safe, which she was. I just didn't consider the busy body factor. Never made that "mistake" again.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2008-12-16, 6:00 PM #162
Somehow I just assumed all older people were 'wise'.

As you are not someone I would call 'wise', I did not think you could be old enough to have a 21 year old daughter.
2008-12-16, 6:04 PM #163
OH snap?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-12-16, 6:05 PM #164
On the other hand, you're a god damned yogi compared to Kirbs.
2008-12-16, 6:15 PM #165
Originally posted by JM:
Somehow I just assumed all older people were 'wise'.

As you are not someone I would call 'wise', I did not think you could be old enough to have a 21 year old daughter.

I am wise. I just allowed certain people here to grate on me in a way and I started to post in a trite manner. Most people here agree with me or can at least consider my position when I post in a manner more consistent with my personallity. All anyone has to do is search for all threads that I've started here and read how I used to post prior to accepting the fact that there is little personal benefit to trying to use persuasive arguments to get your point across especially when I am in the minority with regards to my political and philosophical opinions.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2008-12-16, 6:18 PM #166
See, Wookie just acts retarded, while I actually am retarded. It's a good thing we cleared that up, or JM wouldn't know who to be wiser than.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2008-12-16, 6:20 PM #167
You're all retarded.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2008-12-16, 6:23 PM #168
Quote:
See, Wookie just acts retarded, while I actually am retarded. It's a good thing we cleared that up, or JM wouldn't know who to be wiser than.
I'm not wise.

Of course, they say wisdom is knowing you aren't wise. So knowing I'm not wise means I am wise. Which makes me a liar. :(
2008-12-16, 6:26 PM #169
Or a douche.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2008-12-16, 6:34 PM #170
Originally posted by JediKirby:

I was going to say something but The New Guy is on and they just hazed a midget. Somehow I got distracted.

2008-12-16, 8:45 PM #171
This is why each Applebees should have a branch shotgun.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2008-12-16, 9:14 PM #172
Who robs an Applebees in the first place?
2008-12-16, 9:15 PM #173
Originally posted by Latis:

Same people who rob any restaurant, desperately hungry criminals.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2008-12-16, 9:24 PM #174
Originally posted by Latis:

You never watched Pulp Fiction?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-12-16, 10:58 PM #175
Alright. Now that my Con Law final is done and I have ****-all to worry about until I get my first-semester grades, I'll weigh in in a serious manner.

First of all, Free, police have no authority to determine what laws they will enforce, and they shouldn't. The police are obligated to enforce the laws as written, and there is no reason that we should expect them to do anything else. With a very few (mostly irrelevant) exceptions, police are not lawyers, they are not judges, they are not policymakers and they are not political philosophers. The police are neither qualified nor expected to weigh considerations of justice and fairness when making arrests. The criminal justice system needs people who will simply enforce the laws as written, without subjecting that enforcement to some individualized opinion on whether their jurisdiction's view of justice comports with what's actually just. Disagreements about actual justice are best left to prosecutors, defense attorneys, judges, juries and sentencing boards. In any case, there are plenty of actors in the criminal justice system that can ensure a just outcome. Law enforcement agents simply don't have that responsibility.

That said, criminal prosecutions on drug possession or related offenses are absolute bull****. Regardless of whether the Applebees holdup could have been prevented, enforcement of drug-related offenses is a terrible waste of manpower and I've no doubt that more serious crimes could have been prevented if not for what seems to be a national fixation on illegal drugs.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2008-12-16, 11:08 PM #176
It was the gun, not the drugs that brought all the extra police attention.
Pissed Off?
2008-12-16, 11:12 PM #177
That's definitely the case. But the gun wouldn't have been an issue if not for the drug laws.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2008-12-16, 11:27 PM #178
Also true and I absolutely agree that the drug laws in the US are a farce.
Pissed Off?
2008-12-17, 5:28 AM #179
War on Drugs! :hist101:
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2008-12-17, 11:52 AM #180
People don't know that Wookie is a grownup?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2008-12-17, 12:21 PM #181
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
Alright. Now that my Con Law final is done and I have ****-all to worry about until I get my first-semester grades, I'll weigh in in a serious manner.

First of all, Free, police have no authority to determine what laws they will enforce, and they shouldn't. The police are obligated to enforce the laws as written, and there is no reason that we should expect them to do anything else. With a very few (mostly irrelevant) exceptions, police are not lawyers, they are not judges, they are not policymakers and they are not political philosophers. The police are neither qualified nor expected to weigh considerations of justice and fairness when making arrests. The criminal justice system needs people who will simply enforce the laws as written, without subjecting that enforcement to some individualized opinion on whether their jurisdiction's view of justice comports with what's actually just. Disagreements about actual justice are best left to prosecutors, defense attorneys, judges, juries and sentencing boards. In any case, there are plenty of actors in the criminal justice system that can ensure a just outcome. Law enforcement agents simply don't have that responsibility.

That said, criminal prosecutions on drug possession or related offenses are absolute bull****. Regardless of whether the Applebees holdup could have been prevented, enforcement of drug-related offenses is a terrible waste of manpower and I've no doubt that more serious crimes could have been prevented if not for what seems to be a national fixation on illegal drugs.

Let's just say this then.

I blame cops for enforcing marijuana laws.

And I wouldn't enforce them if I was a cop.

That's all. No they ought tos about it.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2008-12-17, 2:38 PM #182
I wish I had that old yoshi pic that read...

"Your opinion is wrong..."
Nothing to see here, move along.
2008-12-17, 3:52 PM #183
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
"Your opinion is wrong..."

Impossible, troll.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2008-12-17, 4:26 PM #184
I think this thread is the longest I have ever started! whoohoo!
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2008-12-17, 4:36 PM #185
And it's even cooler because you consider the OP off topic!

2008-12-17, 5:03 PM #186
Originally posted by Wookie06:
And it's even cooler because you consider the OP off topic!

:XD:
woot!
2008-12-17, 5:21 PM #187
wtf is OP
2008-12-17, 5:28 PM #188
original post
Pissed Off?
2008-12-17, 5:49 PM #189
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
War on Drugs! :hist101:

A bulls*** war created to distract us from another bulls*** war that happened to be going on at the same time.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2008-12-17, 5:50 PM #190
How can there be a war on drugs, they don't fight back

↑ Up to the top!