Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I watched Episode II again tonight.
I watched Episode II again tonight.
2009-01-04, 8:48 PM #1
It was playing on Spike TV, and I was bored. Nothing else worth while on Spike usually.

I just wanted to say, it's a bad movie.

I mean, what happened? I don't remember it being this bad when I saw it years ago.

The writing was bad. That was expected. But I thought the CGI and action might be the "saving grace" but I never noticed until now how the CGI effects were actually rather iffy. Some rendered things and environments here and there were ugly.

It was also followed a showing of Revenge of the Sith, which I admit, compared to Attack of the Clones, was very watchable and more enjoyable. But, damn, I honestly couldn't make it through some of Episode II's scenes without temporarily switching channels.

I didn't like it much at all. I just wanted to get that out of my stomach before I went to sleep (so I can rest easier).
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-01-04, 8:54 PM #2
As a Star Wars movie, for pure entertainment and nothing but enjoyment I loved it. As a "movie" movie, from a critical point of view, I wish it could be buried or burned.
2009-01-04, 8:58 PM #3
I can understand that. But it felt like Episode II wanted to showcase dialog and character development which, by the advantages of hind-sight, was a terrible, terrible idea.

The whole scene where Anakin goes and finds his mother, and then the mother just DIES, I mean, what the hell.
2009-01-04, 9:00 PM #4
I hate the scene with Anakin and Padma, on her home world, and he says that stupid line, "blah blah your skin is soft blah".. It makes me want to puke
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-01-04, 9:07 PM #5
I, too, have serious intimacy issues.

;)
2009-01-04, 9:10 PM #6
2009-01-04, 9:15 PM #7
Also I going to say that the diner scene with Obi Wan and that poorly rendered fat-a**, what the ****. Did anyone in the movie's production team thought this through? A diner that looks like it's directly from the 50's in a Sci Fi movie? I know it's suppose to be comedy-relief but good job making the most disjointed scene in the movie.

I'm not going to sleep well tonight.
2009-01-04, 9:20 PM #8
The only good thing about the prequels is the story... there's very few good scenes or lines when you compare it to the OT.
2009-01-04, 9:27 PM #9
Someone needs to remake the prequels with good dialogue and decent acting.

In the Source engine.
DO NOT WANT.
2009-01-04, 9:31 PM #10
I recall the CG during Coruscant to be good, the rest kind of sucked.

Star Wars has, ironically, set a negative precedent for CG, probably because George Lucas doesn't care enough to put money into the parts that really matter.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-01-04, 9:48 PM #11
Originally posted by Vin:
The only good thing about the prequels is the story...

Only if you never cared about the original EU
2009-01-04, 9:51 PM #12
Well, I'm going to say that maybe something to drink would help me. When I get to bed, it is usually my HAPPY TIME IMAGINATION LAND where my mind wanders to great places, but now it's ****ing ruined. Episode II raped that plan.

"This is a short cut... I think."

**** that.
2009-01-04, 9:58 PM #13
The only good thing about the prequels...

is rifftrax.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2009-01-04, 9:59 PM #14
But before I log off, what is the story behind the writing of the prequels? I never bothered to learn the whole backstory behind the production. Did George Lucas decided to say "*** it" and write the whole 3 prequels himself? Was there ANYONE there to say "hey wait a minute.."?
2009-01-04, 10:09 PM #15
I remember hearing about the whole "Anakin fights Obi-Wan above a pit of lava and then gets his face/body burned off" thing like ten years before Ep III, so it must've been in the works somewhere... (or maybe it was referenced in the EU? I dunno.)
一个大西瓜
2009-01-04, 10:19 PM #16
Parts of episode 1 is all that reminds me of the original prequel. Otherwise, the other parts and films don't even resemble Star Wars in anything more than set-pieces and corny video transitions. It was a whole new kind of Star Wars movie called "Lots of freakin' Jedi."

Maybe that's it? Because of the limited special effects, the characters and story had to take us to this place, not the puppets or rendered scenery. George always talks about how he can "finally" do it the way he envisions it, but I think maybe he's more interested in forcing this world to exist than telling any kind of story.

I just remember how romantic and quest-like the OT was, and how epic and over the top the new trilogy is.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-01-04, 10:29 PM #17
Originally posted by Pommy:
I remember hearing about the whole "Anakin fights Obi-Wan above a pit of lava and then gets his face/body burned off" thing like ten years before Ep III, so it must've been in the works somewhere... (or maybe it was referenced in the EU? I dunno.)

It was mentioned in the Trilogy books, actually.

This stuff right here is why my wife thinks I'm a nerd.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2009-01-04, 10:30 PM #18
Originally posted by Pommy:

way back when that was just about all you knew that had happened between obi and vader other then obi trained him
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2009-01-04, 10:45 PM #19
Didn't Lucas say he originally wrote episodes 1-3 around the same time as 4-6?
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-01-04, 10:54 PM #20
He had to have written the dialogue at different times. While the OT isn't exactly a masterpiece of language or anything, there was a lot of memorable lines that have a lot of weight and value to them. Qui Gon and Yoda were the only ones who had any genuine memorable lines in the NT. Of course, there's lots of lines we'd rather not remember from the NT that have become famous.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-01-04, 10:59 PM #21
“So this is how Liberty dies - with thunderous applause.”
2009-01-04, 11:08 PM #22
Lucas didn't write or direct episodes 5 or 6, and for 4, his wife edited his script.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-01-04, 11:11 PM #23
That explains the lack of suck.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-01-04, 11:16 PM #24
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Nothing else worth while on Spike usually.

mxc
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-01-05, 12:18 AM #25

I almost put her in there because of that line, but all of her terrible lines make this one barely worth the credit.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-01-05, 12:28 AM #26
It's like someone woke up long enough to write that line and then dozed off again
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2009-01-05, 1:52 AM #27

This is not a terrible line, but it shouldn't have been Padme's, maybe it should have been Bail's line. Also, Padme is an ugly name. Padme Amidala? I never liked this damn name when I first heard it... in spanish it even sounds worse, almost like a retard said some syllables while having a seizure, and Lucas decided to use it as a name.

Ugh!

Another thing that bugged the hell out of me, is Padme's personality... maybe it was Natalie Portman... maybe it wasn't but I really don't see the type of girl I'd love in her. I dunno, I just like a more sweeter type of girl, who doesn't all of the sudden grows balls and decides to go on a suicide rescue mission or something like that. W.T.F. But then again, thats just me, and my whole insecurity problems. I have a hard time loving someone like me, knowing that, like me, she is bound to do something very risky and can get herself in a lot of trouble, and I just couldn't live with it. Been through a similiar hell already.

Obi Wan is the only character, other than Qui Gon, who I actually enjoy watching. About Anakin... he is "evil" but not enough for me. The whole dramatic style of the attack on the Jedi Temple in episode 3, was not filmed properly... the music at the start was annoying... I would have preferred imperial march, then anaking betrayal, although I felt the scene should have shown clips from the inside of the temple as anakin kills jedi who are trying to persuade him to stop...

DAMNIT!

The lack of a good verbal confrontation between anakin and obiwan was horrible.... I wanted to see emotion... what we got was an over the top, and, from me point of view, mostly bad light saber duel. The only interesting part is the 60 seconds when they run across this thing then lava hits the arm and it falls to the river....

The rest is meh...

ok enough ranting.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-01-05, 3:28 AM #28
I love these films in spite of all their flaws. I will agree that the OT was better, but it's an entirely different kind of story.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2009-01-05, 5:15 AM #29
Also I going to say that the diner scene with Obi Wan and that poorly rendered fat-a**, what the ****. Did anyone in the movie's production team thought this through? A diner that looks like it's directly from the 50's in a Sci Fi movie? I know it's suppose to be comedy-relief but good job making the most disjointed scene in the movie.

The robot-waitress also is wearing a "Flo" nametag :P
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-01-05, 5:28 AM #30
Quote:
I can understand that. But it felt like Episode II wanted to showcase dialog and character development which, by the advantages of hind-sight, was a terrible, terrible idea.

The whole scene where Anakin goes and finds his mother, and then the mother just DIES, I mean, what the hell.

I couldn't agree more. I said the exact same thing.. Yeah George, I get why you're doing this.. But the entire process, which is really crucial to Anakins turning to the dark side, should take a LITTLE longer than 2 scenes, or 3 or 4 minutes screen time total. That had to be one of the most horrible plot devices ever written.
2009-01-05, 6:48 AM #31
Episode 1 was on ITV I think a while back.

And it was quite bad.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2009-01-05, 7:09 AM #32
Saaaaaaaannnndddd! :suicide:
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-01-05, 8:20 AM #33
there were actually a lot of parts that i liked from the new movies. the opening scene from episode one felt very "starwars"ish to me. also anything during the 'duel of the fates' was amazing.

i also REALLY enjoyed ian mcdiarmid (palpatine) in all three movies. especially his not so subtle luring of anakin to the dark side. like the scene where they are at the opera/ballet thingy and he tells him about darth plagueis.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-01-05, 8:47 AM #34
I thought his lack of subtlety was careless for his character. It was like episode 1 and 2 were this sneaky devious wise palpy, and then in episode 3, he's like "Okay, this is way too much work, wanna hear about some Sith?"

I also like how Mace Windu is all "Are you SURE he's a sith?" and Anikins all "I dunno, he told me about the entire blood lineage of the sith up until this new guy, and told me how great and awesome they were, but I'm sure it's nothing."
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-01-05, 11:16 AM #35
Nevermind the crap acting/dialogue (which was present and correct in A New Hope). Problem I have with Episode II is that it just feels so poorly structured. Individual scenes seem to work OK on their own, but the end result is a mindless mishmash of duplo and sticklebricks.
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2009-01-05, 11:31 AM #36
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
darth plagueis.

He really couldn't have thought of a better name than naming the character after a disease?

:carl:

[Yes I know the other "Darth"s weren't exactly cryptic but still.]

Also A New Hope wasn't all THAT great compared to the other two.
nope.
2009-01-05, 11:49 AM #37
I want to see a Darth Syphilis.
2009-01-05, 12:40 PM #38
Originally posted by JediKirby:
I thought his lack of subtlety was careless for his character. It was like episode 1 and 2 were this sneaky devious wise palpy, and then in episode 3, he's like "Okay, this is way too much work, wanna hear about some Sith?"

I also like how Mace Windu is all "Are you SURE he's a sith?" and Anikins all "I dunno, he told me about the entire blood lineage of the sith up until this new guy, and told me how great and awesome they were, but I'm sure it's nothing."

:D
2009-01-05, 12:51 PM #39
I want to see a Darth Syphilis.

Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-01-05, 1:06 PM #40
Originally posted by JediKirby:

ok, about to get embarrassingly geeky here...

imho, i think his lack of subtlety was perfectly placed. the sith had been waiting in the shadows for early a thousand years, since darth bane, to be perfectly poised to rule the galaxy. now with palpatine as the chancellor of the senate thetime is perfect. most of the jedi are out leading the clone troopers, and palpatine can execute order 66 at any time. he knows that the jedi council is already suspicious of him and they need to be destroyed.
what better way to goad them into a face to face confrontation that saying "hey hey! im a dark lord of the sith!" at the same time he promises anakin a way to save his wife, playing on his fears. as is predictable anakin tells the masters in the temple, who then go and confront palpatine. straight out palpatine kills 3 of the jedi masters, and probably could have taken mace, considering he later kicked yodas ***. however he waits till anakin arrives to see him being 'attacked' by mace windu. anakin believes palpatine is his only chance to save his love, and disables mace allowing palpatine to kill him and firmly cementing anakin in the dark side. if you ask me its a plan that was perfectly executed....

...eesh, oh the terrible nerdyness... :psylon:

↑ Up to the top!