Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Doom3 Is NOT Doom
Doom3 Is NOT Doom
2004-08-17, 12:45 PM #1
I keep seeing all these "professional" reviews and message board threads stating that Doom3 is just like Doom with better graphics but more scary. They constantly compare the gameplay to the original Doom and Doom 2. This is complete and utter BS.

I am on the last few levels of Doom2, and I have recently completed Doom1 as well. I played it a long time ago when it first came out, but recently purchased the "collector's edition" which includes Ultimate Doom and Doom2 for 15 bucks. I installed Doom Legacy (openGL port of the Doom engine) on my linux and have been playing Doom & Doom2 since the day after I bought and was utterly disappointed with Doom3.

The gameplay is as far away from Doom3 as a first person shooter can get. The weapons are quick, there is an abundance of ammo, the player moves at about twice the speed, and at any one time, there could be DOZENS of monsters on the screen at once. The originals aren't dark except in a select few places (maybe 1% of the entire game), and there are big, wide open areas galore. There are tons of secrets (literally a dozen in some levels) which actually help you a lot - like god modes, 200% health, super armor, strong weapons AND ENOUGH AMMO TO ACTUALLY USE THEM in the early levels).

Stop telling everyone Doom3 is just like Doom1, you're hurting Doom1's reputation. Compare Doom3 to Half-Life, that's basically what it is - a thousand scripted sequences so the game is identical every time you play through it and a bunch of pot-shots that are impossible to avoid, even if you know the guys are right there.

------------------
Brian's Web Log is CLOSED.
2004-08-17, 12:48 PM #2
I sense I'm not the only disappointed one.

And, Brian. If you want that modern day Doom game... And I know you do. Serious Sam is the way to go.
------------------
Change is never a choice. You change, and you are who you have become. And there's not a damned thing you can do about it.

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited August 17, 2004).]
>>untie shoes
2004-08-17, 1:00 PM #3
After I finished Doom 3, I dug out my old Ultimate Doom backup CD and installed ZDoom. Being able to run Doom 1 in 1280x960 is bliss.

<3 Doom

------------------
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Douglas Adams
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2004-08-17, 1:02 PM #4
I said before, Doom 3 is basically Carmacks original vision, finally brought to life by todays awesome technology. This was stated in one of the Doom videos at fileplanet, something off TechTV I think. It was just supposed to capture that old school fps essance, it is nothing like the originals, yet it didnt reinvent the genre, which id never set out to do. If you all are so dissapointed so much, why dont you just stop whining and go make a mod.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-17, 1:03 PM #5
I've never heard anyone say Doom3 is like Doom<3.

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin
2004-08-17, 1:03 PM #6
I forsee a massive flamewar coming....

Also, I agree with Bill. Serious Sam is alot more like the original Doom than Doom3.

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq!
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-08-17, 1:03 PM #7
Sounds like someone is mad they got owned playing the game. You can dodge anything in Doom 3 if you are quick enough. Doom 3 is my favorite single player game to date, and the multiplayer is fun too.

If you don't like it tough, don't go ragging on message boards whining about it. Why don't you just go play one of the games you actually do appreciate instead. I garentee you'll have more fun.

P.S. Of course the games are different. I believe the saying is more than John Carmack made Doom 3 what he wanted Doom to be when it was first created, not that it is just like Doom.

[This message has been edited by LonelyDagger (edited August 17, 2004).]
You...................................
.................................................. ........
.................................................. ....rock!
2004-08-17, 1:06 PM #8
I love Serious Sam [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
Brian's Web Log is CLOSED.
2004-08-17, 1:16 PM #9
Yeah but the game is supposed to be about hell's minions infesting this space station. There should be thousands. Doom 3 is like a football team going to rhoad island and people saying "Those 22 guys infested rhoad island."

There should have been an assload of monsters ALL the time. Even like I said in the other thread, when you get to hell, it's a major letdown. This game is all about major letdowns. They talk up the Delta Labs like they're the god damned wild west or something through the whole game, and then you get there and nothing. Same amount of monsters. They're just tougher. The most fun sections of the game are the ones where it just has about a dozen zombies come at you all at once. Making the enemies tougher is not a substitute for the fact that you were so obsessed with level of detail that you couldn't put more bad guys in a map. So we just take the handful of enemies, and make them tough as balls. Yeah, good work there guys. But no. I got to delta and I said "Oh well. There isn't an orgy of demons yet. Maybe that'll happen in hell. The original had a f*ckin' billion monsters all over the place in hell. Maybe this one will too!" Yeah, only not. And sure the game is scary, but the part that is supposed to be the scariest part is the least scary of all. Hell SUCKED. So it was pretty. Yeah, it was a god damned DUNGEON. Go play rune. Hell is a high poly version of a Rune level. But they called it a dungeon in rune, not hell.

Doom 3 screwed us, guys. We got pansy weapons, some cool bad guys (even though there are only about 50 of them in the whole game), and really linear scripted levels. All of that would have been fine except for the fact that it is a remake of a game that had kick *** weapons, some cool bad guys (But they were EVERYWHERE), and levels with more secrets than you could shake a rocket launcher at. And you could walk through several levels just busting sh*t up with a rocket launcher, because ammo was EVERYWHERE!

They remade Resident Evil, too, but you didn't see them turn it into Doom did you? No. Same basic stuff. But instead of remaking Doom like they said they did, they made a Resident Evil fps... Which would have been cool if the puzzles involved some thinking and they had really pushed a survival horror theme. You know... Make the guns good, but give us very little ammo. Make us AFRAID to see monsters. That's what afraid is. Not "oh damn that imp just jumped out of the shadows. Good thing I've got 50 rockets!"

------------------
Change is never a choice. You change, and you are who you have become. And there's not a damned thing you can do about it.
>>untie shoes
2004-08-17, 1:18 PM #10
DooM3 is more realistic than DooM 1 & 2. You're not going to find wide-open areas on a base located on a Martian moon, nor will you find Carmack's head on a stake directing the forces of Hell. It was going for more of a sense of realism -- no human can move at the speeds you do in DooM 1 & 2. Invulnerability spheres? 200% health? DooM3 is aiming for a bit more realism. Sorry if you don't care for some elements of reality (read: physics) in your games.

That said, DooM 1 & 2 are still great games to play. The simple fact that they have co-op and support for at least 16 players (with the proper modifications) beat the crap out of DooM3's MP.

------------------
<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
<jipe> .. yes, Ubuu, we're racist commy nazi jews, and we hate male pattern baldness
<Professor`K> Sorry, but half-way through your logic, my head exploded
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-08-17, 1:27 PM #11
People who copare Domm3 to the original are missing something. The game play isn't really that similar. Not to take away from either, because they are both awesome in their own right.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-17, 1:28 PM #12
Romero's head.

------------------
>>untie shoes
2004-08-17, 1:31 PM #13
There are similarities in the gameplay...

Enter area.. run around killing monsters.. find key (PDA this time).. enter next area...run around killing monsters.. find key.

------------------
╔═════════════╦══════════════════╗
║ TheJkWhoSaysNi║ -----@% (Snail racing. ) .║
╠═════════════╩══════════════════╣
║Warning: This post may contain traces of nut║
╚════════════════════════════════╝
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-08-17, 1:39 PM #14
Why compare Doom 3 to the older Dooms? It's still a fun game. If you don't like what reviewers have to say, don't read them.

------------------
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-08-17, 1:39 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bill:
Doom 3 screwed us, guys. We got pansy weapons, some cool bad guys (even though there are only about 50 of them in the whole game), and really linear scripted levels. All of that would have been fine except for the fact that it is a remake of a game that had kick *** weapons, some cool bad guys (But they were EVERYWHERE), and levels with more secrets than you could shake a rocket launcher at. And you could walk through several levels just busting sh*t up with a rocket launcher, because ammo was EVERYWHERE!</font>

Speak for yourself, Doom 3 kicked *** . Sorry you didnt like it, but enough of the whining all ready.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-17, 1:50 PM #16
You know finity, you seem to be perfectly content to just ignore the things that we say made the game bad, and say it kicked *** anyway. Doom 3 is one of those games like Halo. When it first came out, everyone sh*t themselves and couldn't believe how good it looked and how great the atmosphere was. But then when they got to thinking about it, the game wasn't that much fun. It was cool the first time through because you'd never seen anything quite like it, but it just wasn't fun at all. Now I'm not saying Halo multiplay isn't fun, no it's the best, but the single player part is lame, just like Doom 3's. So yeah the games both had good storylines, but both of them rely on the EXACT same thing happening over and over again for an entire level. And then you switch levels. And the same thing happens in that level, only it's a little different than last time. The story is good though, but life is in the journey, not the destination. And the journey sucks in doom 3.

I predict we'll find it on "the most over rated games ever" list sometime in a few years.

------------------
>>untie shoes
2004-08-17, 1:52 PM #17
Quote:
You know finity, you seem to be perfectly content to just ignore the things that we say made the game bad, and say it kicked *** anyway.</font>

I never ignored it, nor did I agree with you, so what is your point?

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-17, 2:31 PM #18
Quote:
You know finity, you seem to be perfectly content to just ignore the things that we say made the game bad, and say it kicked *** anyway. Doom 3 is one of those games like Halo. When it first came out, everyone sh*t themselves and couldn't believe how good it looked and how great the atmosphere was. But then when they got to thinking about it, the game wasn't that much fun. It was cool the first time through because you'd never seen anything quite like it, but it just wasn't fun at all. Now I'm not saying Halo multiplay isn't fun, no it's the best, but the single player part is lame, just like Doom 3's. So yeah the games both had good storylines, but both of them rely on the EXACT same thing happening over and over again for an entire level. And then you switch levels. And the same thing happens in that level, only it's a little different than last time. The story is good though, but life is in the journey, not the destination. And the journey sucks in doom 3.

I predict we'll find it on "the most over rated games ever" list sometime in a few years.

</font>

No, the game wasn't fun FOR YOU. The game was fun for me, really. I'm sure I can make my own mind up. I enjoyed it, I'm enjoying it again. I enjoy online too. Gasp, I'm not comparing it to another game. I just know that I like it, it entertains me.
You...................................
.................................................. ........
.................................................. ....rock!
2004-08-17, 3:14 PM #19
I for one am GLAD it wasn't like the original Doom, because there are so many Doom clones out there it's not even funny. I'd rather have 1 original game over 1000 Doom clones.
2004-08-17, 3:26 PM #20
Quite honestly, Doom 3 was one of the better games I've played recently. It's just a simple shooter, none of the military/stealth/tactical shooter crap that has been so overused lately.

And I don't really care if you don't like Doom 3/Halo/Half-Life/whatever, just don't try to tell me that I shouldn't.

------------------
Some of you should learn to think a bit and discover - *gasp* - that someone can dislike Michael Moore, Kerry, and Bush!
-Wolfy
2004-08-17, 3:29 PM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mister_Sinister:
I for one am GLAD it wasn't like the original Doom, because there are so many Doom clones out there it's not even funny. I'd rather have 1 original game over 1000 Doom clones.</font>

Psst... Hey... Guess what... It's not original. I played half life, didn't you?

------------------
>>untie shoes
2004-08-17, 3:42 PM #22
Quote:
Psst... Hey... Guess what... It's not original. I played half life, didn't you?

</font>

Hey, guess what? It isn't original. I played Doom, didn't you?

------------------
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Douglas Adams
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2004-08-17, 3:55 PM #23
Slightly off topic: I wish Romero would suck it up and go back to id. Romero with id, good. Romero on his own, not so good.

------------------
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2004-08-17, 3:56 PM #24
Bill, you do realise that the best way to get people to agree with you is to be persuasive rather than insulting, right? Being insulting kind of has the reverse effect, regardless of whether you may or may not have a good point.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-08-17, 4:01 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by R_ivi_N:
Slightly off topic: I wish Romero would suck it up and go back to id. Romero with id, good. Romero on his own, not so good.

</font>

Quoted for truth.

------------------
Some of you should learn to think a bit and discover - *gasp* - that someone can dislike Michael Moore, Kerry, and Bush!
-Wolfy
2004-08-17, 4:06 PM #26
You're probably right, Det.

------------------
>>untie shoes
2004-08-17, 5:02 PM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JediHunter_X:
Quite honestly, Doom 3 was one of the better games I've played recently. It's just a simple shooter, none of the military/stealth/tactical shooter crap that has been so overused lately.

And I don't really care if you don't like Doom 3/Halo/Half-Life/whatever, just don't try to tell me that I shouldn't.

</font>

Quoted for truth.

Id never meant to reinvent the series, they never meant for Doom 3 to get all this hype, it was generated of its own accord. Carmack just decided to remake Doom as he wanted it to be, not to make original gameplay, not to create earth-shattering stuff. If they wanted to be original, the Doom 3 use of its engine would've been the most amazing to date. Instead it's been tailored to id's needs.

STOP EXPECTING IT TO BE INNOVATIVE

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-17, 5:23 PM #28
I heard JK is a good game...

------------------

"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo
2004-08-17, 5:33 PM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trigger Happy Chewie:
I heard JK is a good game...

</font>

Nah, it's not innovative enough and looks like plastic.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-17, 6:04 PM #30
Am I the only person still holding their breath for Duke Nukem Forever?

------------------
Friends is over. Kill yourself.
Friends is over. Kill yourself.
2004-08-17, 6:26 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Nah, it's not innovative enough and looks like plastic.</font>

says the fanboy sarcasticly...

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
Think while it's still legal.
2004-08-17, 6:28 PM #32
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Valandil:

</font>

No. I just hope it has scantly clad women dancing. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/cool.gif]
2004-08-17, 7:10 PM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Valandil:

</font>

if you are still holding your breath how are you still alive? breathe normally... you will still die before DNF is released August 27th, 2471

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-08-17, 7:21 PM #34
I am continually amazed that debate over a computer game can get so heated. I personally enjoyed Doom 3. It had it's flaws and is not my favourite game ever, but I found it very entertaining and easily the best iD game I've played. Someone feels differently? Fine, their right. But screaming at people for liking it or disliking it is just ludicrous. The fact that someone ENJOYS something is not up for debate.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonk WoW Petition <- SIGN!
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-08-17, 7:39 PM #35
Can people not handle the fact that there is a growing number of people that do not think this game is so great? I mean it's good and everything, but it's only an average shooter. It's not really anything special at all.

By the way "John Carmack's original design" doesn't make alot of difference whenever. The man had little to do with the actual production of the game. Tim Willits was the lead designer. "Carmack's vision" may have been what he wanted it to look like, but that is about all he was involved with. He didn't even do the programming.

It, to me, is just really sad when I can complain about something valid and someone wants to tell me "but that's not what the developers wanted to do with the game!" Well why did they tell me that's what they were doing with the game? Had hell actually been scary, and full of monsters, like they said it would be, my complaints would be NONE. They BOTCHED hell. And that hurts the game.

I mean, honestly, what's next?

"Stop wanting it to be fun!!"

Is that what is coming next?

------------------
>>untie shoes
2004-08-17, 7:42 PM #36
Quote:
They BOTCHED hell.

</font>

so build a hell map the way you think it should
have been done and release it.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-17, 7:42 PM #37
And if iD really wanted to do something funny in one of the emails they should have had someone saying how stoked he is about Duke Nukem Forever coming out in a week.

------------------
>>untie shoes
2004-08-17, 7:45 PM #38
The only thing i was dissapointed about when it came to doom3... no dopefish [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|My Portfolio|My Levels
2004-08-17, 7:51 PM #39
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
so build a hell map the way you think it should
have been done and release it.

</font>

They botched the pistol too.

Note to you. I'm a modeler. Not a mapper. Visit the showcase forum.

------------------
>>untie shoes
2004-08-17, 7:53 PM #40
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Simbachu:
Hey, guess what? It isn't original. I played Doom, didn't you?

</font>

The difference is, Half-Life is nothing like the original doom. Doom 3 has a lot of similarities with Half-Life.

I'm not arguing either side, I'm just pointing this out.

------------------
Moo.
Moo.

↑ Up to the top!