Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Possible Ep 7,8,9 rumors...?
Possible Ep 7,8,9 rumors...?
2004-08-17, 7:40 PM #1
Got it from Theforce.net

Quote:
A little Jedi stopped by the inbox today with some information fans have to pray is actually happening. Rumors at best folks ... ones we love, but we have to remind you: rumors!

You didn't hear this from me, but you might be curious as to why everyone at ILM just signed NDA's (Non Disclosure Agreement) saying that they will not discuss Star Wars EP7, 8, or 9. Since they're not being made, why the NDA's? Of course, since when has the flannel one been consistent?

Good point. Please, please be true ...[/quote[
2004-08-17, 7:53 PM #2
Meh, they should just do the Thrawn Trilogy as 7,8,9. They should also wait until Lucas passes the torch....or at least takes a step back from creative control.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonk WoW Petition <- SIGN!
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-08-17, 7:56 PM #3
AHAHAHA PETROL IS GONNA FLOW.

However, I'm not looking forward to Ep's 7,8 or 9. Real or not.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-08-17, 8:05 PM #4
There's a problem, though. all of the original actors of the OT have aged considerably since ROTJ was made. They would have to use younger look-alikes w/ voiceovers of the original actors, which would not be good at all.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-17, 8:06 PM #5
Or they could take place many years later.

------------------
A little less conversation, a little more action
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-08-17, 8:34 PM #6
Mark Hamill aged significantly. I haven't seen Carrie Fisher recently. There would be no JEJ. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif] Harrison Ford still has looks even being 20+ years older. If memory serves about the EU, he would have two jedi padawans if placed in said time frame. Chewbacca is the only character (that I can thing) who can still look young.

I dunno about 7, 8, & 9. If 3 sucks horrible and there is a definite possibility of that, then I do not wish to see 7, 8, & 9.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-08-17, 9:00 PM #7
Hamill looked fine in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

I'm not sure if Hamill, Fisher (who also looked fine in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back), or Ford would want to be in another Star Wars trilogy though.

------------------
A little less conversation, a little more action
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-08-18, 6:16 AM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
There's a problem, though. all of the original actors of the OT have aged considerably since ROTJ was made. They would have to use younger look-alikes w/ voiceovers of the original actors, which would not be good at all.

</font>

They could CG them with voice overs...

------------------
Fire Pretty - Graz's Armoury - (That's my blog...)

The Soviet Bunker - (That's my forum...)

"Thou shalt not steal. (Because the government doesn't like competition!)"

How to keep an idiot busy: See below
How to keep an idiot busy: See above
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-08-18, 6:18 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaiph:
Meh, they should just do the Thrawn Trilogy as 7,8,9. They should also wait until Lucas passes the torch....or at least takes a step back from creative control.

</font>

But they ruined the Thrawn trilogy by making all the stormtroopers clones. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] It wouldn't make any sense this way!

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.
2004-08-18, 6:31 AM #10
I heard that George Style for making Films is
first 3 parts, after that 3 Parts before.
And then 3 parts after.

from Making of Episode I

------------------
SpriteMod (JO 2003)
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2004-08-18, 7:21 AM #11
OK guys, I've had enough. I've got 7 shotguns, a few sticks of dynamite, 3 black powder pistols, a tonka-truck tank, and the will to take down luscasfilms as well as lucasarts. They've had their chances.

JediKirby

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-18, 7:22 AM #12
Oh, and:

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by G-Man:
I heard that George Style for making Films is...</font>

How can he have a style when the only films he's ever made have been starwars, and a couple of absolutelly horrid other films? Starwars being the only multi-filmed franchise.

JediKirby

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-18, 7:29 AM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
rwars, and a couple of absolutelly horrid other films? Starwars being the only multi-filmed franchise.

</font>

What about indy?

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-18, 7:31 AM #14
OK, I'll excuse Indy. But he didn't make those in ANY sequential order, or relating to eachother.

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-18, 7:37 AM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gee_4ce:

They could CG them with voice overs...

</font>

no. just no.

That sounds like something that luca swould consider doing.

------------------
2004-08-18, 7:54 AM #16
Quote:
How can he have a style when the only films he's ever made have been starwars, and a couple of absolutelly horrid other films? Starwars being the only multi-filmed franchise.
</font>

Um, have you seen American Graffiti? It's a classic. And THX 1138 is also supposed to be very good. And besides them and Star Wars (he only provided the story for Indy and produced it) there was only Howard the Duck, which is not one of the better movies out there but still funny.
I don't want to sound like a Lucas-fanboy but he was capable of making good movies.

------------------
Sorry for the lousy English
Sorry for the lousy German
2004-08-18, 8:53 AM #17
While the Thrawn Trilogy is an excellent read, I do not think it would make very good Star Wars movies. For one thing, there isnt a serious lightsaber fight until the 3rd book, and lightsaber fights are something you absolutely need in a Star Wars movie. The general public (people who have not read the books) would be expecting such things and would surely be dissapointed.

------------------
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon...
DSettahr's Homepage
2004-08-18, 9:15 AM #18
Screw 7,8 and 9. I want to see Shadows of the Empire made into a movie. That would kick *** .

[This message has been edited by Squirrel King (edited August 18, 2004).]
2004-08-18, 9:18 AM #19
Maybe he'll cast new actors and then replace Hamill/Fisher/Ford with CG in the OT?

------------------
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Douglas Adams
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2004-08-18, 9:24 AM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Um, have you seen American Graffiti? It's a classic. And THX 1138 is also supposed to be very good. And besides them and Star Wars (he only provided the story for Indy and produced it) there was only Howard the Duck, which is not one of the better movies out there but still funny.
I don't want to sound like a Lucas-fanboy but he was capable of making good movies.</font>

Yes, and considering the fact that NOBODY here could do a better job than he can with his own films (star wars)... I dont see why they criticize. Who cares if the movies suck, that's your problem. He will still make them how he wants, whiners or no whiners.
2004-08-18, 9:31 AM #21
Didn't he do Willow? I liked Willow...
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-08-18, 10:45 AM #22
Quote:
OK, I'll excuse Indy. But he didn't make those in ANY sequential order, or relating to eachother.

</font>

Actually, Temple of Doom takes place in 1935, which is before both movies while Last Crusade takes place after Raiders. So that style is consistent with Indy.
2004-08-18, 10:47 AM #23
Quote:
What about indy?

</font>

Right

First 3 then young indy then the games!!!!!!!
Right Kirby?

------------------
SpriteMod (JO 2003)
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2004-08-18, 11:19 AM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Squirrel King:
Screw 7,8 and 9. I want to see Shadows of the Empire made into a movie. That would kick *** .
</font>

I agree. Xizor is just so awesome, and Guri too (that's her name right?)

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin

[This message has been edited by Vincent Valentine (edited August 18, 2004).]
2004-08-18, 11:21 AM #25
They should make JK and MoTS into movies...

------------------
Four dimensions, four fundamental forces... coincidence?
Stuff
2004-08-18, 12:13 PM #26
Quote:
What about indy?
</font>

Actually, that was Steven Spielberg

------------------
Maker of the Levels:
Sand Trap
Sand Trap (Night)

Writer/Author of the fanfic: Dragonball Aftershock

_.~'AKA DBF_SuperSaiyan'~._

[This message has been edited by Dark__Knight (edited August 18, 2004).]
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2004-08-18, 12:52 PM #27
You forget that Hamill hates Lucas.

------------------
Wake up, rise and shine, Gotta take another pint, Dig heads and watch out for the night.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-08-18, 12:59 PM #28
george lucas only uses cg when it is cheaper than making lots of costumes or building huge sets that would blowe the budget.

If anybody can tell me how every cgi or blue screen shot in every movie could have been done just as well or better (i.e. shots look exactly the same), I will not complain as much.

Also, I thought it was common knowlage that most if not all of the stormtroopers in the OT were recruited by the empire at their numerous bases.

------------------
Bill What if these anti-violent-video game people were all killed by a fat italian plumber in a red hat jumping on them repeatedly. Wouldn't that be poetic justice in its purist form?
Jon`C:Irony is spelling 'quality' poorly.
Spork:Well I think 'Irony is spelling grammar poorly'
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)--@%
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2004-08-18, 1:20 PM #29
I am skeptical about anything Star Wars these days . . .

1. The EU is turning into slop with that Yuuzhan Vong crap.

2. Every Star Wars game since JK/MotS (except for KOTOR as I've heard) has had major disappointments.

3. Episode I was a Disney movie in disguise. Few movies start hate groups against their characters. Anyone remember jarjarsucks.com?

4. Episode II was a CG overload with mediocre dialog.

As for new movies, I eagerly wait to see the fate of Ep3. It could be great but late in bringing back the quality of OT. Thinking about Ep7++ is beyond my focus as of yet.
2004-08-18, 2:18 PM #30
I don't want Ep 7, 8, and 9. All of the original actors are too old and they would never do anything Star Wars again (anyone know why they hate Star Wars so much? I'm talking about Hamill, Fisher, Ford, and the deceased Obi Wan actor).
2004-08-18, 2:27 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by alpha1:
george lucas only uses cg when it is cheaper than making lots of costumes or building huge sets that would blowe the budget.
</font>

Of all people, I don't think Lucas would need to worry about blowing the budget. He could've funded all three prequels himself.

------------------
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-08-18, 5:52 PM #32
George Lucas

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-08-18, 5:57 PM #33
According to the original concepts of the Star Wars series, there were supposed to be 3 trillogies: Prequil (Episodes I-III focussing on Anakin), Original (IV-VI focussing on Luke) and Sequil (VII-IX focussing on Luke's son). As i recall, plans for the Sequil trillogy were abandoned during production of the Special Editions.

------------------
"Iraqniphobia - The fear of non-existant weapons of mass-destruction."
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2004-08-18, 6:37 PM #34
The Indiana Jones were both Lucas and Spielberg together.

Anyhow... I don't want to see an episode 7, 8, and 9 at this point. Perhaps if they had been done back near the time of the original trilogy they might have been tasteful, but. Meh.

------------------
Clarinetists, unite!

-writer of Bloodwing: Fallen Soldier
(no site up yet...)
Clarinetists, unite!

-writer of Bloodwing
(a work in progress)
2004-08-18, 6:56 PM #35
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by alpha1:
If anybody can tell me how every cgi or blue screen shot in every movie could have been done just as well or better (i.e. shots look exactly the same), I will not complain as much.
</font>

Bladerunner managed to do a DAMNED fine job of making a very cluttered, multileveled, dirty city. Granted, many parts of that involved sets and costumes, but I'd be willing to bet that those sets were alot smaller than they looked. You can do alot with a camera. Most of Bladerunner's effects probably were matted in or involved very primative bluescreen techniques.

I can also point to Lord of the Rings. Granted that Peter Jackson probably had a very large budget, but I recall hearing that he used sets and real locations as often as he could. Some of those sets didn't even get used more than a week before being deconstructed.

The point is, it CAN be done. Directors are just far to lazy to look into HOW it can be done. They shove all of their ideas into a computer and run with it thinking it'll come out looking pretty real. Sometimes it does, but the general viewing public these days can easily tell you when something has probably been computer generated. It's lost it's charm. I think I phrased it in another thread awhile back best. CGI is a tool to help the movie process along. It is NOT mean to do the entire movie for you. The exception being if you're making a CGI movie (ie: Final Fantasy, Toy Story, etc.). Directors understand this, but completely fail to pratice it.

More to the point of the thread now...

I honestly don't want to see another Star Wars trilogy. It's gotten to the point where I think he's raping my very fond memories of those films. Those three movies were the first films I ever saw. I love them. To see him continue to play with them over and over again... LET IT BE. Move on to a new project. I don't want to see an uber new Empire Strikes Back where every visual effect has been remastered to look better and more real. I want to see it just the way it was made. The original effects fit. A CGI effect would not. I think Lucas is all about making things look good these days. That's fine, but have a good story to back it up. Have some good acting to back it up.

Bah... That's all I have to say on that right now.

And all you Lucas fanboys. Don't tell me that they're his films and he can do what he wants with them and my opinion doesn't matter. This is a discussion forum. I have the right to voice my opinion on such a forum. I've done so. If you don't like it, tough break.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-08-18, 7:28 PM #36
Whoah, I live really close to George Lucas.

------------------
Kill Your Idols!
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-08-18, 7:33 PM #37
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
Bladerunner managed to do a DAMNED fine job of making a very cluttered, multileveled, dirty city. Granted, many parts of that involved sets and costumes, but I'd be willing to bet that those sets were alot smaller than they looked. You can do alot with a camera. Most of Bladerunner's effects probably were matted in or involved very primative bluescreen techniques.</font>

Sure you can do stuff with clever tricks, but it puts a big limit on how creative the director can be...it's much better to just be able to do what you imagine without worrying about whether you can do it, and just how you can do it, and modifying the story to fit the special effects.

Quote:
I can also point to Lord of the Rings. Granted that Peter Jackson probably had a very large budget, but I recall hearing that he used sets and real locations as often as he could. Some of those sets didn't even get used more than a week before being deconstructed. </font>

(In the following example I'm using the battles in the Return of the Kind as an example mostly) Sure those huge battles were filmed in a big field, but when you have main characters riding horses at full gallop, you kinda need a bit of space. There actually weren't many real horses...most of the ones you see are actually computer generated. And of course all the orc stuff is computer generated, and the city is computer generated. Hell, the stuff that Peter Jackson and his special effects company were showing off to try and get someone to finance the Lord of the Ring movies was a bunch of CGI stuff. Sure some things were shot for real like Hobbiton, but then Lucas had a large village built for Episode I as well.

Quote:
The point is, it CAN be done. Directors are just far to lazy to look into HOW it can be done. They shove all of their ideas into a computer and run with it thinking it'll come out looking pretty real. Sometimes it does, but the general viewing public these days can easily tell you when something has probably been computer generated. It's lost it's charm. I think I phrased it in another thread awhile back best. CGI is a tool to help the movie process along. It is NOT mean to do the entire movie for you. The exception being if you're making a CGI movie (ie: Final Fantasy, Toy Story, etc.). Directors understand this, but completely fail to pratice it.</font>

You seem to think that CGI makes itself. That's rather idiotic. It is a tool that makes a lot of stuff easier, allowing the director to be a lot more creative...many movies being made now would have been impossible 20 years ago.

Also, special effects are always getting better...have you seen some of ILM's latest work? Like in Harry Potter 3, the creature thingy...the shading on it is fantastic. If I remember correctly, in some of the scenes it's actually a real animatronic model, but you can't tell exactly when it is and when it isn't. Also, although it's a year older, Pirates of the Caribbean had some nice shading as well. I think ILM's work in Episode III will be better then what most people are expecting.
2004-08-18, 8:34 PM #38
You're confusing creativity with "Whatever crack-pot idea" the director can come up with. Creativity is thinking up how to achieve something with simplicity, not complexity. I promise you, if they would have done coruscaunt with real buildings, real neon signs, and then CGI'd the long shots, and the vehicals, we would have had a lot more fun watching the first part of that movie. Why? We may be able to ignore the unrealistic look to the CGI, conscienciously, but our eyes are not deceived, and we feel less 'comfortable' with the image. It doesn't feel real to us. Blade Runner felt more realistic in it's fantasy because of the simplicity of the effects, but detail to real props.

Plus, actors have a lot better time acting when they can see the setting, and most importently: Who they're talking to. Portman was given harsh criticism for her acting in Ep2... do you know why? Half the time, she wasn't even speaking to a human being. At least Episode 1 had that beautiful palace. Had that been CGId, it wouldn't have been beautiful, it'd be "oh cool"

Honestly, did the Jedi archives need to be completelly CGId? NO.

JediKirby

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-18, 11:55 PM #39
I hope they cross star wars over with star trek (a la AvP) ... it would be [http://forums.massassi.net/html/cool.gif] to see data or spock wielding lightsabers and yoda give orders ... "Speed 9, warp".
2004-08-19, 1:44 AM #40
Like many others before me, I too have concerns about even attempting the final trilogy (of the "Journal Of The Whills", as it was originally titled - what a brain-child you are, George [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]...) when the first trilogy (Ep 1-3) is obviously of more dubious quality than the second trilogy (Ep 4-6). There's no denying that the initial setup was a dang good idea in theory; if you take your starting point as the mid-section of a story, then you can immediately branch out in either direction (past and/or future).

The problem lies with the overall execution of the above ideas (not to mention logistical issues of "age" with future films using the same character base). Quite simply, at the pith of it all, the original trilogy was something special - it looked good at the time, but more importantly, the story and the characters were more engaging - you could relate to their emotions because unlike Ep 1-(presumably)3, the actors actually had emotions. What the original trilogy lacks (by today's standards of film-presentation) in terms of "special effects", it more than compensates with for an engaging story and characters who we actually "feel" and "care" about.

Ep 1-(maybe)3 have taken quite the opposite stance - "let's focus on visuals, because everyone knows where we're going with story, so lets spruce it up along the way". Now don't get me wrong - this method can work ... but it assumes you have an above-average script and actors who actually care about the character they represent, rather than the cheque at the end of the month. Both of these things have been lacking thus far. From a personal standpoint, I love the Obi-Wan/Anakin fall idea and I firmly believe that that was one of the best moves that Lucas did in RotJ: have the (now sadly deceased) Alec Guiness tell a young Luke that he was responsible for his father's fall to the Dark side --- *wham* instant link to a prequel with solid foundations (only briefly touched upon in ESB). Admittedly Ewan McGreggor is no Alec Guiness and can never live up to that expectation from the fans, but Ep 1&2 have so far made a butchering of this concept and as much as I really do hope otherwise my gut instinct tells me that Ep3 won't live up to my own hopes.

I'll still go and see the film, just for the heck that it's "Star Wars" and the fact that lightsabers are, quite simply, cool and anyone fighting with them is just fantastic viewing anyways... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

But I've ranted for long enough now - I feel my Dark side has been vented and I'll leave you all to your own random mutterings of "nutter" and "freaky-fanboy" (and maybe the odd reference to "that-so-called-smiley-god") [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

-Jackpot

------------------
"lucky_jackpot is the smily god..." - gothicX
"jackpot is an evil evil man... so evil, in fact, that he's awesome." - Seb

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, but two things stand in stone,
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own"
("Ye Wearie Wayfarer" - by Adam Lindsay Gordon)
"lucky_jackpot is the smily god..." -gothicX
"Life is mostly froth and bubble, but two things stand in stone,
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own"
- "Ye Wearie Wayfarer"
|| AI Builder: compatible with both JK & MotS || My website ||

↑ Up to the top!