Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Possible Ep 7,8,9 rumors...?
Possible Ep 7,8,9 rumors...?
2004-08-19, 4:15 AM #41
I think the problem with the prequels is not that they are too simple, I think they are too complex.
Just compare the original trilogy with the prequels.
Ep4-6 was a very simple good vs evil farytale. You could instantly tell the good guys from the bad guys and there was no doubt about that.
In the prequels we have for example the Trade Federation that is not necessarily (sp?) evil but manipulated by Sidious/Dooku.
Or when you compare the emotional decisions you have in the prequels Anakin who has to leave his loving mother and face the Jedi Council who think that he is too old to be a Jedi.
Luke could easily leave his home because his "parents" were dead and he hated the planet anyway. And there was never any doubt about his fate of becoming a Jedi.
In AOTC Anakin and Padme fight for their forbidden love but in TESB Han and Leia were fated to be in love with each other and there were no problems with that.

I think these simple things are much simpler to shoot and look good when shot simple.
But Lucas tried to shoot the prequels in a simple way when they are really more complex.

------------------
Sorry for the lousy English
Sorry for the lousy German
2004-08-19, 4:55 AM #42
They are too complex, but I WOULD LOVE to see the thrawn trilogy, and the Hand of thrawn trilogy. Also the last njo book, the unifying force.

Best Star Wars Movies ever++

Maybe someone will come back to it in 30 years......
2004-08-19, 5:35 AM #43
I think the SW franchise should stop after they make EP3. that way, we will have EPs. 1-6.

The general theme of all the films combined is the life, fall, and redemption of Anakin skywalker. Adding more films on afterward when anakin/vader is dead would serve no real purpose.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-19, 5:37 AM #44
A couple of films about Kyle Katan would be cool.

------------------
<Outlaw_Torn> you mean your related to that damned sasquatch, Mech?
<MechWarrior> Lets just say the part of the family tree that does fork has bossy the goat in it.

<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
2004-08-19, 8:26 AM #45
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">And all you Lucas fanboys. Don't tell me that they're his films and he can do what he wants with them and my opinion doesn't matter. This is a discussion forum. I have the right to voice my opinion on such a forum. I've done so. If you don't like it, tough break.</font>

(keep in mind that opinions on something, and constant whining, differ. Which is what the below paragraph focus's on, CONSTANT whining...Not a persons opinion, and yes i know they tie in together blah blah)

Well, I will tell you that they are his films and he can do what he wants with them, BECAUSE ITS TRUE. You think your opinion even matters to him? Not really. He's going to make the films HE created, the way HE wants. They're HIS films. And quite frankly, nobody here can do a better job, so I don't see why they complain. Not to put them down or anything, but its stupid to evenn whine "OH I DIDNT LIKE EPISODE 1 IT SUCKED BOOHOO". Whoop dee doo. Who cares if u didnt like EP1, who cares if u didnt like EP2, your whining isnt going to change anything about the films or EP3. If you dont like it, tough break. Because you see, I'm not the one with the problem. So I could care less if they suck or are good [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
2004-08-19, 8:38 AM #46
2 things...

1) the "i'd like to see you do better" or "you can't do any better so don't criticise" arguments are complete rubbish.

2) I hope when you said that you "could care less" you actually mean you care quite a bit, as opposed to the common butchering of our language where people say "could care less" to mean that they don't care.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-08-19, 9:01 AM #47
The "you couldn't do better" arguement is complete crap. Just because I'm not a director doesn't mean I don't know the difference between good and bad.

People like you are part of the reason so many bad movies are made. You think it's not your place to complain, but unless more people voice their opinion, bad movies will keep being made. Movies are for our entertainment. It's our job to tell film makers if they're doing a good job or not.

------------------
A little less conversation, a little more action
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-08-19, 10:06 AM #48
According to IMDb:

Budget for each LOTR movie: $94,000,000 (Estimated)

Star Wars's budget: $11,000,000 (Estimated)
Empire's budget: $18,000,000 (Estimated)
Jedi's budget: $32,500,000 (Estimated)

Episode 1's budget: $115,000,000 (Estimated)
Episode 2's budget: $120,000,000 (Estimated)

Anybody else see something wrong with this picture? Why does Lucas need to use so much CGI when ROTJ looked more realistic and cost almost a whole $100,000,000 under either prequel movies?

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-08-19, 11:54 AM #49
Whoa whoa whoa, First off, I studied film here boys, I think i kinda know what I'm talkin about.

Second off.....Well, here..

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The "you couldn't do better" arguement is complete crap. Just because I'm not a director doesn't mean I don't know the difference between good and bad.

People like you are part of the reason so many bad movies are made. You think it's not your place to complain, but unless more people voice their opinion, bad movies will keep being made. Movies are for our entertainment. It's our job to tell film makers if they're doing a good job or not.
</font>

No, see, as I figured, you'd read wrong. Yes, true, because you arent a professional director doesnt mean you dont know anything about crap and good movies...And, yes the argument is a good one, because if you're going to complain about it; well here, I'd like to see you even TRY to put out a film that would make even a dollar in the movie theater. Its not the fact that you say you don't like the film, because that itself is one thing, it's the CONSTANT WHINING (which I did only point out in my last post) that is stupid.

Its not when people say "OH, I dont like that movie, it kinda sucked", that's an opinion and a welcomed one, that's constructive criticism.

But when people are like some are here, and on the internet, all nerdy like OH MY GOD HE RUINED THE STARWARS TRILOGY TH#EREGOESMYLIFEEOMEJENEHWE~!!!!!!!!!! that's pathetic, annoying, and stupid. That's when I say, hey, its a MOVIE. Get over it, yes it sucked in your eyes, but what can you do about it... When you begin to turn into a nazi against anything that comes from George Lucas (those that refuse to see any more star wars films BASED on what they seen from the last ones, as well as future GL projects), that's when it becomes more than just an opinion.

And that was my previous point. So to re-iterate, I'll say it again..

When you dont like a film, and you voice your opinion over it, this is good. This is welcome. This is constructive criticism. (same page here kids?)

When you dont like a film, and you constantly voice your opinion on it, whine about it constantly, refuse to like it until its MADE YOUR WAY, etc. That's when its bad, not welcome, and as i said, stupid.

So in turn, no, its not people like me that make bad movies made, and I'd appreciate it if you were to not make such a judgement on my personality considering you don't even know me, and since I didnt even point out you specifically when I made my last post.

[This message has been edited by Temperamental (edited August 19, 2004).]
2004-08-19, 2:12 PM #50
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
Actually, that was Steven Spielberg

</font>

Spielberg directed it, george lucas did the story.

------------------

"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo
2004-08-19, 2:16 PM #51
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
Bladerunner managed to do a DAMNED fine job of making a very cluttered, multileveled, dirty city. Granted, many parts of that involved sets and costumes, but I'd be willing to bet that those sets were alot smaller than they looked. You can do alot with a camera. Most of Bladerunner's effects probably were matted in or involved very primative bluescreen techniques.

I can also point to Lord of the Rings. Granted that Peter Jackson probably had a very large budget, but I recall hearing that he used sets and real locations as often as he could. Some of those sets didn't even get used more than a week before being deconstructed.

The point is, it CAN be done. Directors are just far to lazy to look into HOW it can be done. They shove all of their ideas into a computer and run with it thinking it'll come out looking pretty real. Sometimes it does, but the general viewing public these days can easily tell you when something has probably been computer generated. It's lost it's charm. I think I phrased it in another thread awhile back best. CGI is a tool to help the movie process along. It is NOT mean to do the entire movie for you. The exception being if you're making a CGI movie (ie: Final Fantasy, Toy Story, etc.). Directors understand this, but completely fail to pratice it.

More to the point of the thread now...

I honestly don't want to see another Star Wars trilogy. It's gotten to the point where I think he's raping my very fond memories of those films. Those three movies were the first films I ever saw. I love them. To see him continue to play with them over and over again... LET IT BE. Move on to a new project. I don't want to see an uber new Empire Strikes Back where every visual effect has been remastered to look better and more real. I want to see it just the way it was made. The original effects fit. A CGI effect would not. I think Lucas is all about making things look good these days. That's fine, but have a good story to back it up. Have some good acting to back it up.

Bah... That's all I have to say on that right now.

And all you Lucas fanboys. Don't tell me that they're his films and he can do what he wants with them and my opinion doesn't matter. This is a discussion forum. I have the right to voice my opinion on such a forum. I've done so. If you don't like it, tough break.

</font>

you only told me how the basic methods. I was asking how they would do things like the gungan droid battle, the collesium on geonossis, the pod race, the planet kamino exterior shots with the big waves and all those sorts of shots.

remember, Mr jackson used alot of CG only scenes as well. just watch those documenteries about the fight scenes. The one at the start of the first was almost all CG except for the close ups of major combatents.

Also, I understand that you don't think George lucas should have creative rights to his own itelectual property, what I don't understand is why?

If you can give me a full description of how each shot could be done with minimal CGI, I will shut up. Until then, I will also vioce my oppinion.

------------------
Bill What if these anti-violent-video game people were all killed by a fat italian plumber in a red hat jumping on them repeatedly. Wouldn't that be poetic justice in its purist form?
Jon`C:Irony is spelling 'quality' poorly.
Spork:Well I think 'Irony is spelling grammar poorly'
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)--@%
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2004-08-19, 2:47 PM #52
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Temperamental:
I'd like to see you even TRY to put out a film that would make even a dollar in the movie theater.</font>

My friend, Will, and I are constantly thinking of movie ideas. We always anylize and debate about movies we've seen. He even plans to go to film school to be a director. Now, I admit, I don't know much about the industry, but (and this is probably where the catch comes in) assuming we could somehow get our movie shown in a theater, I'm confident we could make money from it.

And, yes, I take back what I said about you being part of the problem.

------------------
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
2004-08-19, 4:32 PM #53
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by alpha1:
you only told me how the basic methods. I was asking how they would do things like the gungan droid battle, the collesium on geonossis, the pod race, the planet kamino exterior shots with the big waves and all those sorts of shots.

remember, Mr jackson used alot of CG only scenes as well. just watch those documenteries about the fight scenes. The one at the start of the first was almost all CG except for the close ups of major combatents.

Also, I understand that you don't think George lucas should have creative rights to his own itelectual property, what I don't understand is why?

If you can give me a full description of how each shot could be done with minimal CGI, I will shut up. Until then, I will also vioce my oppinion.

</font>

Gungan/Battle Droid fight.

At the core, this would involve the redesign of the characters. Stick a few extras and stunt men in Gungan suits and Battle Droid suits, and film them. Then repeat the process in another area. Now, I'm going to forget all the intracies of the effect, but it's called Crowd Replication. You're filming a set of actors, then filming them again, and again, until you have the numbers you want. Then you merge the different pieces of footage together. 50 people can become several hundred. It involves some form of green screen... I really wish I could remember the details... As for the vehicals... Simple models. You know the AT-STs and AT-ATs were ALL created via stop-motion, right? Do the same thing here. As for scale problems. Again, make a minature set for the models, and then composite in humans elsewhere in the scene. It works.

Geonosis.

This would be a bit more tough. For the upclose fights, Crowd Replication can be used. Just give people some changes of costume every now and then. You'd need at least part of the set. The rest could be a matte painting. For overhead shots of the battle, get a miniature, and CGI the moving elements. The creatures are a smallish problem. Right off I'm drawing blanks as to how you could go about doing that. More than likely, however, you could use whatever Lucas did to make the Rancor.

The Pod Race.

The way he did this, is right at the only way I can think of doing it. My problem, just so we're on the same track again, isn't his use of CGI, it's his OVER use of CGI. He uses it in places where I firmly believe he'd benefit far more by using real, live, tangible things.

Kamino.

Very, very easy. Get a miniature. Place miniature in pool of water. This is where I'm going to get a bit rusty on the effect again. From here, I THINK you speed the camera up. I'm totally not sure about that. When sped up though, and played back at normal speed, it makes things seem slower. So if you make some waves in your pool and film them with a high camera speed and play them back normally, you might get nice slow moving towering waves. Scale is the only major issue I can think of here. Water doesn't do "small" well. But effects people have come up with ways to fake that over the years to make it seem better. For added final effect, run it through the computer and throw in a few more waves and splashes.

Now. I'm pulling all of that from memory. I'm pretty sure that there are better, more effective, and less time consuming ways to do it. What you read above is what immediately comes to my mind that I KNOW can be done. I did a freaking research paper about Special Effects in film only a few months ago. I have a good idea of what can, and can't be done without computer aid.

As for Jackson and LotR. For LotR, Jackson and his crew developed a program called "Massive" which, in simple terms, is a battlefield AI. All the effects people had to do was set up the number of people on each side, the arms being used, the clothing and such that would be worn, and the general skills of each army. The computer took over from there. Each person on the field had a mini-AI conducting them. All the computer did was record the battle as it was played out and execute the camera moves. A very, very cool program. That right there, I find a supurb use of computer effects.

Minas Tirith was only partially done inside a computer. There was a model constructed of the city (I think it was five or six feet tall...), camera moves were made, and then the footage was sent to the CGI guys to add in the surrounding areas and the movments of daily life. The same was done for Helms Deep in places, Isenguard, and some places in Mordor. I think Barad Dur was the big one.

He also had full sized intrcate sets built. Most notable example here I think is King Theoden's hall. The crew spent at least a month if not more building it. They filmed there for a week if not less, and then the set was de-constructed.

Jackson used CGI as well. I'm not denying that. My point here though, is that he knew WHEN to use it, and when it might just be better to go ahead and make something real and then add elements afterwards. Lucas doesn't seem to take that stand to me. He wouldn't have a model made of something, and add effects afterwards. He's just do the whole thing in CGI. It might look pretty and great, but it looses a feeling of reality in the process. I find that difficult to explain, but that's about the best way to put it.

Finally. Lucas has all the right he wants to edit his films. I don't think I said anything against that earlier. But there comes a time, when things are best left alone. The original trilogy reached that point after the Special Editions. Sure, people are going to keep nabing up anything that has the Star Wars logo on it, but I don't think it's right to keep editing a 30 year old film. If you have things that you think you should've done at the time but didn't, that's fine. Everyone has regrets and wishes that they did things that they didn't. But honestly, if the films were a smash hit with those things left out, is there really any reason to go and put them in 30 years later?

I'm done now.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-08-19, 6:58 PM #54
Wait wait wait... You mean, I can't complain when a director I used to worship, goes and ruins my childhood movies? Ruins basically the birth of my currect carreer choices? Ruins the impressions on my creativity and ideas? I can't complain when I pay 8.50 to see a movie, 50 dollars a piece for 4 or 5 game knockoffs, and my life making models, storylines, and other ideas? I should just shut up because lucas can say and do whatever he wants? No. I'll complain.

JediKirby

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-19, 7:30 PM #55
Ok, I gotta apologize too. I didnt mean to come off so harsh. So some of what I said may be a bit out of line, anyways, no hard feelings.

Its just that it sometimes irks me when people get obsessive over things, thats it, I cant really explain it better than what i did, but u kno what i mean.
2004-08-19, 7:48 PM #56
Oh, and being a film director doesn't make your opinion any better or worse than anyone elses. None of us are lucas.

JediKirby

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-19, 7:55 PM #57
Quote:
A bunch of stuff.
I'm done now.

</font>

Hmm, I can see you put a lot of time into this but one thing really stood out for me.

Battle droid suits?

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.
2004-08-19, 8:08 PM #58
C3PO is a guy in a suit. The battle droids might be harder to pull off up close, but it would look fine from a distance.

------------------
- Vash the Stampede
2004-08-19, 8:24 PM #59
Exactly. R2 was the same way. They had a small guy inside him some of the time. The rest of the time he was remote controlled.

Right off, I don't know how you'd get away with a guy in a suit up close, but effects people are generally pretty damned creative, It could probably be done. And if all else failed, there would still be CGI to fall back on. I was merely asked to show how it's use could be lessened.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-08-19, 8:41 PM #60
Puppet technology is being more and more neglected, yet the science behind it has evolved far beyond anything a computer can create, as far as realistic looks.

JediKirby

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-19, 8:51 PM #61
but if you want something to look outlandish and impossible, what will you do then.

by the way, those were just a few examples, you still have yet to tell me about many other visual effects shots.

Oh, I did actualy say I wanted it to look the same or better.

You, cant realy use stop motion any more, as there is no motion blur, it is extremely easy to spot. If you say "go motion", I will slap you as these days it is just simpler to use CG.

Also, I realy pity you if your life has been ruined because a movie you worshipped as if it were god has had its creator exercise his creative rights on it.

If you still are acting like this after EP3 comes out, that pity will be lost as your behavior will be too pathetic to comprehend from a perspective of someone who is not so biased, he makes fox news look unbiased.

------------------
Bill What if these anti-violent-video game people were all killed by a fat italian plumber in a red hat jumping on them repeatedly. Wouldn't that be poetic justice in its purist form?
Jon`C:Irony is spelling 'quality' poorly.
Spork:Well I think 'Irony is spelling grammar poorly'
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)--@%
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2004-08-20, 4:08 AM #62
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">There's a problem, though. all of the original actors of the OT have aged considerably since ROTJ was made. They would have to use younger look-alikes w/ voiceovers of the original actors, which would not be good at all.</font>

two letters. cg.

------------------
Pissed off?
2004-08-20, 5:40 AM #63
alpha1, you come onto a Star Wars forum and complain when people discuss the Star Wars movies... can you see where you're missing the logic here?

Kamino looked good in EP2, I thought, CG or no CG. But that was mainly because of the set design(for the internal parts, external bits looked so-so).
2004-08-20, 5:55 AM #64
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Oh, and being a film director doesn't make your opinion any better or worse than anyone elses. None of us are lucas.</font>

Never said that.
2004-08-20, 4:19 PM #65
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Temperamental:
Whoa whoa whoa, First off, I studied film here boys, I think i kinda know what I'm talkin about.</font>

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-20, 4:31 PM #66
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
Puppet technology is being more and more neglected, yet the science behind it has evolved far beyond anything a computer can create, as far as realistic looks.

JediKirby

</font>

Can't BELIEVE I forgot about that. Animatronics would probably be more than acceptable for some things.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by alpha1:
but if you want something to look outlandish and impossible, what will you do then.

by the way, those were just a few examples, you still have yet to tell me about many other visual effects shots.

Oh, I did actualy say I wanted it to look the same or better.

You, cant realy use stop motion any more, as there is no motion blur, it is extremely easy to spot. If you say "go motion", I will slap you as these days it is just simpler to use CG.

Also, I realy pity you if your life has been ruined because a movie you worshipped as if it were god has had its creator exercise his creative rights on it.

If you still are acting like this after EP3 comes out, that pity will be lost as your behavior will be too pathetic to comprehend from a perspective of someone who is not so biased, he makes fox news look unbiased.

</font>

Excuse me for just ONE minute here. You asked me to explain THOSE SPECIFIC EXAMPLES. I did so. Now you are complaining because I in effect more or less proved my point and you want MORE? Gimmie a break. For the examples you gave and I explained, the basics of what I said can be applied to most everything. As for it looking better, you simply aren't using your brain at all. Many of those effects would look the same, and COULD look better. If you use the old methods of creating my aforementioned effects and the old equipment for doing so, than no, it might not look great. Things have gotten more advanced and continue to do so. Matte paintings don't have to be done by hand anymore, they can be created digitally. Those animals on Geonosis? Animatronic. Easily. We aren't talking stupid little puppets. Look at some of the work Henson Studios does these days. It's very, very, complicated work, and can produce very lifelike results. I've given you the answers. Stop thinking of old movies where you've seen them used. Bring that effect into todays time and think how it'd be done.

On the subject of stop motion. Your thinking is WAY off. WAY WAY off. Stop motion is perfectly acceptable for slow moving objects. Why? Slow moving objects don't HAVE a noticable blur to them. For faster things, say, a speeder, it would never work. But for a walker like the AT-ATs and AT-STs, it's perfect. For those AATs in Ep. 1, it's perfect. Those didn't move that fast at ALL. And when you did see them moving fast, there were generally close up on people, switch to a damn car that has the tank built around it.

To wrap things up...

Did I ever SAY my life was ruined because he's altered these movies? Did I even HINT at it? You assume far too much. It SADDENS me that he's altered so much of a movie I grew up on, but it hasn't even come CLOSE to ruining my life. And God knows, I do NOT worship Star Wars. If ANYONE here worships it, it's you. You burst out complaining and with accusations telling people it isn't their place to say bad things about Lucas' work. Sounds religious to me.

If I think he's screwed up Ep. 3, it isn't because I'm biased. It isn't because I worship Star Wars. And it sure as hell isn't because I hate Lucas. It's because the story he has come up with took a sideline to the images on screen. The two should work together, lean on each other. Without the strength of one, the movie becomes very bland after a second or third viewing. And finally, it's because I dislike his use of CGI to replace things that could be done in other ways. A computer CANNOT replace a living thing. Sure, it can do a damned realistic impression of a living thing. It can act like a living thing, but it will never have the same atmosphere about it. The same radiance. The same depth. Real things have that. Right now, computers do not. Fifty years from now, they MIGHT. I could possibly see that.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand
2004-08-20, 4:49 PM #67
I'll be the first to say that Star Wars IS my life. Call me a nerd, I don't care. I just accept the fact. When Lucas goes 'Creative' with something I worship, it's as if god were to start forcing people to piss on their bibles before they prayed. "Hey, I'm expressing my creative rights!" You couldn't get a new bible, either. Haha, *****.

JediKirby

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-20, 4:54 PM #68
Kirby informed me in a private chat awhile ago that Stop Motion can be used for almost everything today. The footage would just need to through a computer and be edited. Very simple. So even for fast mocing objects, you could use stop motion. When sending it through the computer, you could specify where to place a motion blur and the computer would calculate the effect and apply it.

He also asked me to inform you that parts of my prior post were constructed with some of his thoughts, ideas, and words.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand
2004-08-20, 4:58 PM #69
I have a question...why aren't you complaining about the tree thingies in the LotR movies? By your thinking it would've been better to do them as animatronic in close up shots. Hell, just about all your arguments apply to LotR as much as they do to the Star Wars prequels. Most of your alternative methods are hard to implement, expensive and just plain idiotic when you have CGI. CGI's versatility, relative low cost make it a better choice. Especially now when it often is hard to tell if it's real or CGI.
2004-08-20, 5:03 PM #70
Actually nevermind.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (I don't know why I have this still in my sig)

[This message has been edited by Echoman (edited August 20, 2004).]
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-20, 5:29 PM #71
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gabro_bot:
I have a question...why aren't you complaining about the tree thingies in the LotR movies? By your thinking it would've been better to do them as animatronic in close up shots. Hell, just about all your arguments apply to LotR as much as they do to the Star Wars prequels. Most of your alternative methods are hard to implement, expensive and just plain idiotic when you have CGI. CGI's versatility, relative low cost make it a better choice. Especially now when it often is hard to tell if it's real or CGI.</font>

The Ents WERE animatronic for the scenes where Treebeard has to hold the hobbits if I remember my Special Features correctly.

Hard to implement and expensive by whose standards? It's been done for YEARS. It'd also like to point out the MASSIVE budget the prequils have over the original trilogy. I forget if that link was posted in this thread or elsewhere, but it can't be that hard to find.

[edit] Strike my last sentance, scroll up towards the top and it's written out for you.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!

[This message has been edited by phoenix_9286 (edited August 20, 2004).]
Last Stand
2004-08-20, 5:31 PM #72
Quote:
Kirby informed me in a private chat awhile ago that Stop Motion can be used for almost everything today. The footage would just need to through a computer and be edited. Very simple. So even for fast mocing objects, you could use stop motion. When sending it through the computer, you could specify where to place a motion blur and the computer would calculate the effect and apply it.

He also asked me to inform you that parts of my prior post were constructed with some of his thoughts, ideas, and words.

</font>

Oh, and that is hilarious. Stop motion is useless for fliud moving organic things...it works for stiff mechanical things like the AT-AT's, but for things like dinosaurs it just doesn't work. :P
2004-08-20, 5:38 PM #73
Quote:
The Ents WERE animatronic for the scenes where Treebeard has to hold the hobbits if I remember my Special Features correctly.

Hard to implement and expensive by whose standards? It's been done for YEARS. It'd also like to point out the MASSIVE budget the prequils have over the original trilogy. I forget if that link was posted in this thread or elsewhere, but it can't be that hard to find.

[edit] Strike my last sentance, scroll up towards the top and it's written out for you.

</font>

Nope, there were no animitronics in Lotr.

http://www.science.ie/scopetv/content/content.asp?section_id=706

And you can see it cost a lot as it was to make the Star Wars prequels, so it would have been undoable if they used more expensive special effects methods.
2004-08-20, 6:01 PM #74
One benefit of using actual sets and puppets that I haven't seen mentioned yet (my apologies if it has been) is that it'll give the actors something real to look at. I've yet to see a solid acting performance.

Of course, that really goes back to my number one gripe: Give the actors some lines worth listening to! The dialogue in the original trilogy might not have been Academy Award-winning, but it had a lot of wit that's missing from the new movies.

------------------
"Why aren't I'm using at these pictures?" - Cloud, 4/14/02
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2004-08-20, 6:14 PM #75
Quote:
I have a question...why aren't you complaining about the tree thingies in the LotR movies? By your thinking it would've been better to do them as animatronic in close up shots. Hell, just about all your arguments apply to LotR as much as they do to the Star Wars prequels. Most of your alternative methods are hard to implement, expensive and just plain idiotic when you have CGI. CGI's versatility, relative low cost make it a better choice. Especially now when it often is hard to tell if it's real or CGI.</font>

I think your missing his point. I beleive he was trying to point out that CG is a great thing, can be used for many things and many things look quite realistic when done properly, But Lucas has been doind alot of stuff entirly CG. Refrenceing LotR he is comparing tha fact that yeah... you know what, CG was used ALOT, but they did it properly, It was not over the top and it was impressive to look at.

meanwhile, lucas has been using CG in ways that simply over use it, making the new films loose their flair and their grace that so captured the hearts and minds of all SW fans around the world. His CG is often horrible to look at and you can quite often point it out and it kind of ruins a scene for you when you notice the things are fake and out of place. Such as the fruit anakin floats over to amidala in AoTC, it looks out of place and poor, while in a moive like LOTR you may be able to spot the CG alot of the time, but it's impressive and captures you, it gives you scale of the huge cities and the massive battles... you get where i'm going?

And anywho, do you honestly care THAT much about anything with the SW logo on it? tell me honestly... Are you going to be there opening night for ep3? or see it in theaters at least? honestly? you know you'll see it, you know you'll buy the DVD, you KNOW you'll buy the games and toys it spawns... so sit the hell down and enjoy a friggin movie for what it is, entertainment... you don't like the fact that you think Lucas is butchering his dream movie? DON'T BUY THE DVD'S! stick to your old VHS copy of the orginal and cherish it like your god as you have thus far... Grow.up.

------------------
Inter arma silent leges
The Gas Station
2004-08-20, 6:52 PM #76
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grant:
I think your missing his point. I beleive he was trying to point out that CG is a great thing, can be used for many things and many things look quite realistic when done properly, But Lucas has been doind alot of stuff entirly CG. Refrenceing LotR he is comparing tha fact that yeah... you know what, CG was used ALOT, but they did it properly, It was not over the top and it was impressive to look at.

meanwhile, lucas has been using CG in ways that simply over use it, making the new films loose their flair and their grace that so captured the hearts and minds of all SW fans around the world. His CG is often horrible to look at and you can quite often point it out and it kind of ruins a scene for you when you notice the things are fake and out of place. Such as the fruit anakin floats over to amidala in AoTC, it looks out of place and poor, while in a moive like LOTR you may be able to spot the CG alot of the time, but it's impressive and captures you, it gives you scale of the huge cities and the massive battles... you get where i'm going?

And anywho, do you honestly care THAT much about anything with the SW logo on it? tell me honestly... Are you going to be there opening night for ep3? or see it in theaters at least? honestly? you know you'll see it, you know you'll buy the DVD, you KNOW you'll buy the games and toys it spawns... so sit the hell down and enjoy a friggin movie for what it is, entertainment... you don't like the fact that you think Lucas is butchering his dream movie? DON'T BUY THE DVD'S! stick to your old VHS copy of the orginal and cherish it like your god as you have thus far... Grow.up.

</font>

First, thanks for getting my point.

Now I'll respond to that last paragraph.

I care about SOME of the things that have the SW logo plastered on them. Most notably, the original trilogy, Dark Forces, Dark Forces II, Knights of the Old Republic, and the 75+ action figures I've collected over the years. I stopped after Episode 1 because they changed the design and I didn't like the new one.

Am I going to be there opening night for Ep 3? Hell no. I'm never at ANY movie opening night. Why? I HATE movie theater audiences. They detract from my viewing expierence. I typically wait a week or so, then go in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday. That's an almost gaurenteed showing with only 10 or 15 people in the theater where I live.

Will I see it in theaters? More than likely. But it might end up being a month or more before I see it. I'm not enthused about it at all.

I will NOT buy the DVD. Hell, I didn't buy the DVDs for the last two. I didn't even buy the VHS tapes of them, they came into my possession as GIFTS.

I'll also NOT be buying the games and toys it spawns. The last LEC game I bought for myself was Outcast about two weeks after it came out. I'm probably getting KotOR for PC for my birthday next month. I've already explained my stance on the toys. They changed the design, and I dislike it. I'll also add now, that of the 75+ figures I have, only about 15 are from the new films. The rest are all old trilogy.

I do enjoy it for what it is, and I also am allowed to CRITIZISE it for what it is.

I think I've said several times in many threads now, that I have ZERO intention of purchasing the Original Trilogy on DVD. ZERO. ZIP. NADA. NONE. If anything, I'm going to clean my VCR tape heads very well, and run my tapes into the iMac, whereby I'll burn them to MY OWN DVDs. I might not have the qualilty and features that you'll get, but I'll have the copy I enjoy in a format that'll last longer than a VHS tape.

Cherish it as my God? ... I think I addressed that point before as well. You need to read a little better.

Finally. "Grow. Up." Right. I've dealt with this in a very calm manner. I've explained each of my thoughts and ideas clearly. Yet every one of you who keeps telling me to get over it and to grow up, has done so by shouting at me, telling me what I WILL do when you have zero clue what I'm like, and pretty much skimming my posts. Stop assuming you know a faceless person on the Internet.

Who needs to grow up more?

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand
2004-08-20, 7:08 PM #77
Quote:
Nope, there were no animitronics in Lotr.
</font>

Your source is wrong.

I just checked my Two Towers DVD Special Features disk.

I refer you to "On the set 'The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers' - Starz Encore Special". At about 11ish minutes into this special, Billy Boyd talks about Treebeard and how he was designed animatronically. While he talks, footage of the animatronic Treebeard in question plays.

Now, I'm pretty sure that there was still some CG stuff involved with the character, but there WAS an animatronic Treebeard made for the film.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand
2004-08-20, 8:48 PM #78
That's not really saying my opinion matters more, its more like.....stating that I know what I am talking about at least?
2004-08-20, 9:17 PM #79
Quote:
Oh, and that is hilarious. Stop motion is useless for fliud moving organic things...it works for stiff mechanical things like the AT-AT's, but for things like dinosaurs it just doesn't work. :P</font>

YOU. DID. NOT. READ.

I mean, Jesus, you freaking quoted my post and you STILL didn't read. You only got up to the point where I said Stop Motion could be used for everything and then quoted and posted.

I'll give you a second chance now becaase I'm nice.

Stop Motion can be used for most everything BECAUSE you can route the finished film through the computer, and in post production, APPLY a motion blur where you need it. The computer is told what to blur, how much, and then calculates how to do it and does so.

Thanks for not reading so I could post that again.

On the subject of Dinosaurs, I'll have you know that the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park WERE animated via Stop Motion. Look it up if you don't believe me. They were going to be stop motion to begin with. Then Spielburg saw a CGI dinosaur model and was impressed, so the dinosaurs moved to being computer generated. However, the movements the dinosaurs needed to make couldn't even come CLOSE to being replicated inside the computer. Thus, the stop motion animators were brought back in, and animated a skeleton of one of the dinosaurs. The input was fed into the computer, and applied to the model. Those dinosaurs were, in effect, animated via stop motion. They were just GENERATED via computer, NOT animated.

Why did I just bother with that, you probably won't even read past the first two lines.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!

[This message has been edited by phoenix_9286 (edited August 21, 2004).]
Last Stand
2004-08-20, 9:53 PM #80
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Budget for each LOTR movie: $94,000,000 (Estimated)</font>

Actually I thought on the DVD Jackson said LotR was low budget. Saying all three films cost under 200 Million dollars total.

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
Think while it's still legal.

↑ Up to the top!