Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Possible Ep 7,8,9 rumors...?
Possible Ep 7,8,9 rumors...?
2004-08-21, 3:21 AM #81
phoenix_9286, My last comment was not directed towards you, but to Kirby...

------------------
Inter arma silent leges
The Gas Station
2004-08-22, 8:59 AM #82
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
YOU. DID. NOT. READ.

I mean, Jesus, you freaking quoted my post and you STILL didn't read. You only got up to the point where I said Stop Motion could be used for everything and then quoted and posted.

I'll give you a second chance now becaase I'm nice.

Stop Motion can be used for most everything BECAUSE you can route the finished film through the computer, and in post production, APPLY a motion blur where you need it. The computer is told what to blur, how much, and then calculates how to do it and does so.

Thanks for not reading so I could post that again.

On the subject of Dinosaurs, I'll have you know that the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park WERE animated via Stop Motion. Look it up if you don't believe me. They were going to be stop motion to begin with. Then Spielburg saw a CGI dinosaur model and was impressed, so the dinosaurs moved to being computer generated. However, the movements the dinosaurs needed to make couldn't even come CLOSE to being replicated inside the computer. Thus, the stop motion animators were brought back in, and animated a skeleton of one of the dinosaurs. The input was fed into the computer, and applied to the model. Those dinosaurs were, in effect, animated via stop motion. They were just GENERATED via computer, NOT animated.

Why did I just bother with that, you probably won't even read past the first two lines.

</font>

Oh, well of course...how did you think CGI was animated? That's what key framing is. :P

I misread what you said because you seemed to think that it was something that wasn't used much, when it's how all CGI is animated.
2004-08-22, 9:25 AM #83
CGI could be good if i was used right. But it's always used to make stuff move too fluidly, and too flashly. Alot of CG is ok, if it's used to make things look realistic, but it's when the CG it-self is bed that it starts to go bad.
2004-08-22, 4:27 PM #84
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gabro_bot:
Oh, well of course...how did you think CGI was animated? That's what key framing is. :P

I misread what you said because you seemed to think that it was something that wasn't used much, when it's how all CGI is animated.
</font>

Key framing is MUCH different than what I described.

Key framing is all done inside the computer. The person constructing the animation places the object being animated in a start position, a middle position, and an end position. The computer then calculates the moves needed to fill the gaps.

The dinosaurs in Jurassic Park in the beginning of the movie were all animated by stop motion animators using traditional techniques. They animated a skeleton on a dinosaur and than information was given to the computer. The digital skeleton was than placed inside the model of the dinosaur, and you had a finished animated model. Towards the end of the movie, the CG animators had learned enough about movements to the point where they could successfully create the keyframes needed with almost no help from the stop motion animators.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-08-22, 6:22 PM #85
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:

Key framing is MUCH different than what I described.

Key framing is all done inside the computer. The person constructing the animation places the object being animated in a start position, a middle position, and an end position. The computer then calculates the moves needed to fill the gaps.

The dinosaurs in Jurassic Park in the beginning of the movie were all animated by stop motion animators using traditional techniques. They animated a skeleton on a dinosaur and than information was given to the computer. The digital skeleton was than placed inside the model of the dinosaur, and you had a finished animated model. Towards the end of the movie, the CG animators had learned enough about movements to the point where they could successfully create the keyframes needed with almost no help from the stop motion animators.

</font>

It's the same except that you either do it with a real skeleton or you do it with a virtual one. To create movement that doesn't look too linear, you need many key frames...in fact, it turns out being exactly like stop motion frames since you need that many to create realistic looking animation. Back when Jurassic Park was made, the software was still being worked out and it was necessary to do the key framing initially with a real skeleton, but now it's all done on a computer. It's still done by "old fashioned" animators though...in fact, all of ILM's animators did "real" animation before going there to do CGI animation...none of them started with any kind of computer art.

↑ Up to the top!