Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → US Captain saved
US Captain saved
2009-04-12, 12:58 PM #1
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Somali-Pirates-Captain-Richard-Phillips-Freed-By-Captors-Off-Horn-Of-Africa/Article/200904215260720?lpos=World_News_First_World_News_Article_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15260720_Somali_Pirates%3A_Captain_Richard_Phillips_Freed_By_Captors_Off_Horn_Of_Africa

2009-04-12, 12:59 PM #2
I don't think this needed a new thread. :/
2009-04-12, 12:59 PM #3
Now failing that would have been embarrassing.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-04-12, 1:03 PM #4
Excessive force saves the day. Gotta love the Navy Seals.
2009-04-12, 1:28 PM #5
Originally posted by ELITE WARRIOR:
Excessive force saves the day. Gotta love the Navy Seals.

Excessive Force? More like justice and appropiate action took its course. 3 pirates killed, one arrested. I think giving some one a million dollars to threaten and possibly kill a U.S. Captain as well as walk away from the incident is not the correct course.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-04-12, 1:35 PM #6
I agree with you -- as you could tell from my posts on the Pirate thread.
2009-04-12, 1:38 PM #7
Proposition: n > p, [forall][isin=n]N[/isin][/forall], [forall][isin=p]P[/isin][/forall] where N is the set of all ninjas and P is the set of all pirates.

Proof: Let n be any given ninja and let p be any given pirate. By the SEAL-Ninja Theorem, we can equate ninjas to SEALs, n = s. It is also true that s > p by the SEAL-Pirate Corollary. Thus we can say n > p.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-04-12, 1:58 PM #8
Navy SEALs = win
Pissed Off?
2009-04-12, 2:03 PM #9
Navy seals
Attachment: 21716/navyseals1.jpg (44,874 bytes)
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-04-12, 2:52 PM #10
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
Excessive Force? More like justice and appropiate action took its course. 3 pirates killed, one arrested. I think giving some one a million dollars to threaten and possibly kill a U.S. Captain as well as walk away from the incident is not the correct course.

I kind of wish you'd decide between loving the US and wanting to suck it off and hating us because you steal to get ahead in life on internet.
2009-04-12, 2:54 PM #11
headshot
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-04-12, 2:58 PM #12
Originally posted by dalf:
Proof: Let n be any given ninja and let p be any given pirate. By the SEAL-Ninja Theorem, we can equate ninjas to SEALs, n = s. It is also true that s > p by the SEAL-Pirate Corollary. Thus we can say n > p.

Fallacious argument. While all SEALs may be ninjas, not all ninjas are SEALs.
2009-04-12, 5:26 PM #13
apparently other pirates are now vowing vengeance against the U.S. for the killing of the three pirates.

to quote one of them...
Quote:
"The French and the Americans will regret starting this killing. We do not kill, but take only ransom. We shall do something to anyone we see as French or American from now,"

oh, you take only ransom? is that all? well, my mistake! carry on then. :carl:
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-04-12, 5:53 PM #14
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Fallacious argument. While all SEALs may be ninjas, not all ninjas are SEALs.

Damn :(

Edit: I should have said SEALs are a subset of ninjas.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-04-13, 2:32 AM #15
I really find it amazing they pulled that off.
The amount of sea-winds and other things those snipers have to account for has to be mind boggling. Also a missed shot could warn the pirates or, worse, hit the captain.

Well done.
2009-04-13, 3:44 AM #16
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
apparently other pirates are now vowing vengeance against the U.S. for the killing of the three pirates.

I'm skeptical. Obviously if these guys decided to take a U.S. citizen hostage on the open sea they're not the brightest people in the world, but they have to know that if they start killing people their jobs will get a lot harder.
2009-04-13, 4:17 AM #17
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
I'm skeptical. Obviously if these guys decided to take a U.S. citizen hostage on the open sea they're not the brightest people in the world, but they have to know that if they start killing people their jobs will get a lot harder.

And the same applies to the Americans too. This has now made life a whole lot more dangerous for all the other American cargo ships in the area. These pirates don't appear to be quaking in their boots now.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-04-13, 4:36 AM #18
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-04-13, 5:01 AM #19
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
And the same applies to the Americans too. This has now made life a whole lot more dangerous for all the other American cargo ships in the area. These pirates don't appear to be quaking in their boots now.
Stupid and on drugs: Welcome to Somalia.

I hope they do start killing Americans because then the Americans will kill a whole lot more Somalians. The last time the US led a great worldwide Somalian criminal crackdown they ended up screwing up royally and losing like, what, 4 rangers? Meanwhile killing hundreds upon hundreds of Somalians who deserved a bullet enema?
2009-04-13, 2:40 PM #20

I don't see how this changes anything. Hostages are the only reason that they have been successful. If they start killing people, they are just going to wind up in body bags.
2009-04-13, 3:16 PM #21
No matter how many ants you step on there will always be more.
2009-04-13, 3:22 PM #22
Originally posted by Rob:
No matter how many ants you step on there will always be more.

Exactly. Rob understands.

But that doesn't mean we should stop. Because it's fun and stuff.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2009-04-13, 3:32 PM #23
I feel bad that Somolia has been completely screwed up through no fault of almost all of its residents, but c'mon.

They weren't refusing to let go of the Captain until they got ransom, they were threatening to kill him unless they got ransom. It's somehow excessive force because they haven't killed anyone before. As if we should decide their intentions by their track record and not by their explicitly-stated intentions.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2009-04-13, 3:47 PM #24
I think everyone would agree that we did the right thing in this situation. But as for the pirates' intentions, this is a case where actions speak louder than words. Look at it from their point of view. If people believe you're going to kill them no matter what they do, they'll fight you every time. If people believe you won't hurt them as long as they let you take what you want, they'll stand by and let you steal in peace. The pirates would probably have killed Phillips eventually, but that's a situation outside the usual rules of the game.
2009-04-13, 3:49 PM #25
It was a no win situation.

Personally, the life of one boat captain does not outweigh the lives of entire crews. What about all the other hostages? Why was this one so special? Oh, because he was American and this **** was on the news. Can our country react no other way than to be a hypernationalist bunch of douchebags?

We're looking at Iraq on water. A problem we cannot possibly solve, that we created, which we are now going to have to deal with by wasting tax money on sending out our big American guns on water to deal with the heathen sea-insurgents. (Who also happen to be assholing it up because we ****ed them over pretty hard)
2009-04-13, 3:59 PM #26
The Navy is already out on the water and one of their primary roles is dealing with pirates so that international shipping lanes are safe. Nothing is changing regarding how the US Navy will be doing things, with the exception, perhaps, of being more agressive.
Pissed Off?
2009-04-13, 4:03 PM #27
I never got my question answered in the last thread. How did we create the pirate situation, exactly?

Edit: And are you saying we should just always pay their ransoms and let it keep happening...or that we should just not go over there? I'm not getting exactly what your point is.
Warhead[97]
2009-04-13, 4:12 PM #28
Originally posted by Avenger:
The Navy is already out on the water and one of their primary roles is dealing with pirates so that international shipping lanes are safe. Nothing is changing regarding how the US Navy will be doing things, with the exception, perhaps, of being more agressive.

It has already been pointed out that the area of operations of these pirates is very large. Too large for the current amount of personnel out on these waters to deal with.

What do you think we're going to do now?

I'd be inclined to think we're going to send out more boats.
2009-04-13, 4:53 PM #29
This area is just a new hot bed that will have to be patrolled by the Navies of various countries. Until recently, SE Asia was the hotbed of pirate activity. The area is well patrolled and there aren't a lot of incidents there. It's really nothing that can't be handled.
Pissed Off?
2009-04-13, 5:52 PM #30

Personally, the life of one boat captain does not outweigh the lives of entire crews. What about all the other hostages? Why was this one so special? Oh, because he was American and this **** was on the news. Can our country react no other way than to be a hypernationalist bunch of douchebags?

We're looking at Iraq on water. A problem we cannot possibly solve, that we created, which we are now going to have to deal with by wasting tax money on sending out our big American guns on water to deal with the heathen sea-insurgents. (Who also happen to be assholing it up because we ****ed them over pretty hard)

No, that's pretty stupid.
2009-04-13, 11:09 PM #31
Originally posted by Avenger:
This area is just a new hot bed that will have to be patrolled by the Navies of various countries. Until recently, SE Asia was the hotbed of pirate activity. The area is well patrolled and there aren't a lot of incidents there. It's really nothing that can't be handled.

Exactly, the US Navy and the internatioanl community has dealt with pirates in SE Asia, and things have gotten significently better in that region. The same will undoubtedly happen in and around the Indian ocean, and the issues of Somali pirates will go down.

And wow Rob... "hypernationalist bunch of douchebags"? First off, how did we "create" this problem of Somali pirates? Secondly, how are we wasting tax money by sending our "big American guns on water" when they're already patroling the area/ stationed in these areas? This is part of the Navy's job. They're going to be there either way. So are you saying we shouldn't waste money by building and USING our own weapons? And Third, how did we "****ed them over pretty hard"? Are you refering to UN sanctioned humanitarian aid to the Somalies? Or are you talking about the millions of people that starved and died in Somalia because clan leaders and warlords were too busy stealing the UN provided food meant for the general population?

Also, how many crews have we :let" die? How many crews did we ignore in order to save this one captain? We saved him because he's one of our own. But, we'd always work to save our allie's guys too. I guess if you think loyalty = hypernationalist bunch of douchebags then its really quite pointless in trying to talk about anything really relevent with you.

And if we're such douchebags, may I suggest you leave? Maybe go to Somalia?
Mirthy

King James the 1st- “I will not give a turd for thy preaching”
2009-04-14, 1:09 AM #32
This was the first US ship to be boarded by pirates in well over 100 years. The US hasn't been involved with the other hostage situations because they weren't US ships and they crews were not American.
Pissed Off?
2009-04-14, 3:54 AM #33
And this is the first one that resulted in any deaths. Go figure.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-04-14, 4:11 AM #34
Mission Accomplished [/SIZE][/B]
Attachment: 21723/captain_america.jpg (66,259 bytes)
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-04-14, 4:40 AM #35
No one's going to answer my questions? Mort-Hog? Rob? No?
Warhead[97]
2009-04-14, 8:56 AM #36

FAIL!!!

nope our wonderfully dandy french friends get to claim that trophy my friend!

they rescued the crew from a french boat and one pirate as well as one hostage were killed, BEFORE the incident with the Maersk Alabama
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-04-14, 9:49 AM #37
Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
No one's going to answer my questions? Mort-Hog? Rob? No?
With the end of the Cold War and the start of the Afghanistan and Iraq wars, the US navy doesn't have enough free ships to patrol the open sea anymore.
2009-04-14, 9:54 AM #38
Creating a power vacuum like the world has never seen, because the navies of the major colonial powers have diminished severely. See, for example, the Falkland Wars: even the country with the second-largest navy can't project their own sphere of influence anymore.

The US navy is so retardedly overpowered that the rest of the planet has no idea what to do without them playing Team America World Police.
2009-04-14, 10:00 AM #39
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
FAIL!!!

nope our wonderfully dandy french friends get to claim that trophy my friend!

they rescued the crew from a french boat and one pirate as well as one hostage were killed, BEFORE the incident with the Maersk Alabama

pwned.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2009-04-14, 2:20 PM #40

Only pirates died. That's a good thing.

↑ Up to the top!