Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Duke Nukem Forever...dead
Duke Nukem Forever...dead
2009-05-07, 9:59 AM #41
Shadow Warrior was a lot cheesier, more over-the-top and crazier than Duke Nukem 3D... thefeforely a better and much more entertaining game and sadly so unappreciated (way to release a BUILD engine game in 1997, guys!).

DO YOU WANT TO WASH WANG? OR DO YOU WANT TO WATCH WANG WASH WANG?

Yes.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-05-07, 10:18 AM #42
[http://www.qwantz.com/comics/comic2-1491.png]
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2009-05-07, 10:20 AM #43
Originally posted by Jep:
Agreed, but the whole point is that it shouldn't have taken over a decade to come up with something that has no need to have a deep, thought out storyline. Nor did such a game or setting require such technical depth in terms of engines, graphics and gameplay that would warrant over a decade of development.

It never was and never will be because those in charge were mediocre game designers.

We are now fully in agreement
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-05-07, 12:08 PM #44
****, I don't know about you guys but 3DR closing down actually makes me kinda sad. Duke 3d is one of my ALL TIME FAVOURITE. Nothing came out after that was anything remotely similar to the kind of humourous interactivity it had. The last 2 years, they were actually releasing new screenshots and trailers... something GB swore he will never do until the game was nearing completion. Sigh.
\(='_'=)/
2009-05-07, 1:23 PM #45
I never played Duke Nukem

I AM DEVASTATED WAHHH
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-05-07, 1:44 PM #46
Yeah, you sure are. Its like missing HL or never played doom. I'll cry for you too.
\(='_'=)/
2009-05-07, 2:05 PM #47
Hey guys, read the ****ing article. DUKE NUKEM FOREVER IS STILL IN DEVELOPMENT.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-05-07, 2:27 PM #48
It's funny because if they ever do release it odds are it will disapoint.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2009-05-07, 2:30 PM #49
Originally posted by Emon:

Mind quoting it? I just read it a 3rd time now and it still says nowhere that it's in development. It DOES say that 3DRealms is shutting down, Take Two stopped funding the project, and that they still have publishing rights. Sounds pretty dead to me.
2009-05-07, 2:32 PM #50
It says they're still developing the trilogy if I remember correctly. Though it doesn't mention Forever specifically. But I clicked it ages ago, might be wrong.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2009-05-07, 2:49 PM #51
Originally posted by Oxyonagon:
It says they're still developing the trilogy if I remember correctly. Though it doesn't mention Forever specifically. But I clicked it ages ago, might be wrong.

Apogee is deving the trilogy, not 3DR
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2009-05-07, 3:19 PM #52
Originally posted by Emon:

Nope. 3DR has no funding. They shutdown. Hence, Duke Nukem Forever development has come to a screeching halt, perhaps forever.
2009-05-07, 3:42 PM #53
Has there been any media for the Duke Trilogy besides the joke trailer? Because I'm thinking that might also end up vaporware.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-05-07, 3:44 PM #54
Does this mean mod teams will stop using "When it's done."?
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2009-05-07, 4:45 PM #55
2009-05-07, 5:33 PM #56
It's not dead. They'll sell the license to try to recoup their losses, and some company will try to capitalize on the fact that this is essentially the Holy Grail of games.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-05-07, 9:08 PM #57
Originally posted by IRG SithLord:
Nope. 3DR has no funding. They shutdown. Hence, Duke Nukem Forever development has come to a screeching halt, perhaps forever.

uh

Originally posted by tfa:
"Deep Silver and Apogee Software are not affected by the situation at 3D Realms," a representative for the companies told us. "Development on the Duke Nukem Trilogy is continuing as planned."

So unless they DON'T mean DNF when they say "Duke Nukem Trilogy," yes it is unaffected.

Edit: Okay, Duke Nukem Trilogy is something else. Whatever, it wasn't going to come out anyway.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-05-07, 9:17 PM #58
I'm so depressed, I'm going to masturbate myself to sleep tonight using this video.

"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2009-05-07, 10:52 PM #59
Originally posted by Commander 598:
Does this mean mod teams will stop using "When it's done."?

Considering that term is much older then DNF, I'd say no.
2009-05-07, 10:57 PM #60
God that sucks.. Duke is the embodiment of true American awesome.
2009-05-08, 10:45 PM #61
I hear take 2 has acquired the rights to the game. Good news?
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2009-05-09, 12:48 AM #62
Originally posted by fishstickz:
It's not dead. They'll sell the license to try to recoup their losses, and some company will try to capitalize on the fact that this is essentially the Holy Grail of games.

Nail meet head.
2009-05-09, 11:44 AM #63
I think it's a little late for anyone to get cash from this game. It is comparative to the holy grail only in that they are both things that the majority of the world has given up on long long ago.
2009-05-09, 12:22 PM #64
xkcd has an interesting post about how the list of things that took less time than the Duke Nukem Forever development process has actually been around a long time, and produced a list of things that happened since the List of Things That Have Happened Since Duke Nukem Forever Was Announced was written.

Originally posted by "[url=http://blag.xkcd.com/:
xkcd[/url]"] * Barack Obama announced his candidacy, slogged through the longest Presidential campaign in American history, and was elected.
* Hurricane Katrina flooded New Orleans and wiped out much of the Gulf Coast.
* Ehud Olmert came to power in Israel, pursued a war against Lebanon, and was succeeded by Netanyahu.
* Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Samuel Alito have had their entire Supreme Court careers since the list was written.
* The world panicked over bird flu, calmed down, panicked over swine flu, and apparently dodged a bullet.
* The iPhone was announced, released, and developed to the point where it could make fart noises.
* Windows Vista was released, sputtered a bit, and is now reaching the end of its life cycle.

Additionally, the List of Things That Took Less Time Than the Duke Nukem Forever Development has been circulating for longer than each of these things took:
Originally posted by "[url=http://blag.xkcd.com/:
xkcd[/url]"]
* The release of all three Lord of the Rings movies
* The painting of the ceiling in the Sistine Chapel (or, will be true in a few months)
* World War I (nearly; age of list is uncertain)
* The development of Windows 95 from Windows 3.1
* The construction of the Empire State Building
* The entire run of the original Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers show plus the first movie.
* The premier of Firefly, its cancellation, its growth into a geek classic, and the subsequent greenlighting, filming and release of Serenity.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-05-09, 1:22 PM #65
Didn't there used to be one of those lists than mentioned "The concept of bullet time has been conceived, utilised and completely run into the ground."?
nope.
2009-05-09, 1:52 PM #66
Yes, it's the list of things that took less time than the Duke Nukem Forever development process.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2009-05-09, 4:23 PM #67
Is this marketing hype or what. I'm freaking confused because Gamespot just posted up new screenshots for DNF under the 360 section. But to be fair, only 4 out of the 12 posted are new.
\(='_'=)/
2009-05-09, 4:45 PM #68
http://www.3drealms.com/
2009-05-09, 5:23 PM #69
Haha, I love the guy with the sadface speech bubble shirt. That shirt would only work if there were a guy kneeling in front of him in exactly in the position that there is.

Also I totally want a 3D Realms shirt like the guy on the right.
2009-05-09, 11:16 PM #70
No Levelord? :(
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-05-10, 7:58 AM #71
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Didn't there used to be one of those lists than mentioned "The concept of bullet time has been conceived, utilised and completely run into the ground."?

"The concept of really slowmo"
2009-05-10, 9:09 AM #72
I particularly like the Duke Nukem Forever references in Serious Sam 2, like when Sam is with the Sirian great council after he kills Kwongo. Jebediah is talking about how he thinks that Sam is "the one". Rajiev replies "You also thought that blondie guy was the one." then Jebediah says "Yeah but he was taking FOREVER". Subsequently, whenever the word 'forever' is used it always appears in all capitals in the subtitles.

Like this secret on the Planet Magnor, you find a skeleton of Duke with a rocket launcher up his arse.
[http://sickball.org.uk/mort/seriousduke.jpg]
2009-05-10, 12:30 PM #73
The death of DNF is just confirmation of what we already knew. Lazy slogs.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-05-10, 1:03 PM #74
Originally posted by Petmc.:
I hear take 2 has acquired the rights to the game. Good news?

Seeing that Take 2 invested money into DNF, I'm sure they are pretty pissed. Not to mention that Take 2 had recent financial troubles.

I heard stories that 3DRealms were playing World of Warcraft and how employees were exchanging WoW tips on the forums instead of working on DNF.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-05-10, 1:59 PM #75
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Seeing that Take 2 invested money into DNF, I'm sure they are pretty pissed. Not to mention that Take 2 had recent financial troubles.

I heard stories that 3DRealms were playing World of Warcraft and how employees were exchanging WoW tips on the forums instead of working on DNF.

Haha, really? Is there any evidence of this? Surely there'd be forum logs?
2009-05-10, 2:17 PM #76
Wouldn't surprise me, clearly they'd given up on making the game long ago, they may have done a tiny bit here and there, but they obviously weren't putting much effort towards it anymore.
2009-05-10, 4:15 PM #77
Nah, they were having some really good progress. Check out the development video over at gametrailers!. THIS GAME HAS SO MUCH POTENTIAL.
\(='_'=)/
2009-05-10, 4:28 PM #78
Duke Nukem is not dead.

Quote:
UPDATE: Deep Silver and Apogee Software have issued the following statement: "Deep Silver and Apogee Software are not affected by the situation at 3D Realms. Development on the Duke Nukem Trilogy is continuing as planned."
2009-05-10, 4:31 PM #79
The Duke Nukem Trilogy has nothing to do with DNF.
\(='_'=)/
2009-05-10, 4:32 PM #80
I think that's prob. the 17th time that quotation has been posted in this thread -_-.

↑ Up to the top!