Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I kinda want a PS3
I kinda want a PS3
2009-09-01, 12:30 PM #1
I'm tempted to wait for GT5 to come out..just to be sure it doesn't suck. :P

I definitely want a current-gen console, though. Too bad I'll have to spend a fortune on games.. :(
woot!
2009-09-01, 12:34 PM #2
Race Pro and Forza 2 on XBox are good race sims, then F3 comes out this fall.. You'll be mad PS3 has no good race sims. I was never into the GT series, and that's all they got.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-09-01, 12:38 PM #3
I'd say as of this moment, Xbox 360 has a MUCH better game selection than the PS3 does. Sure the PS3 has its choice of awesome titles (Uncharted, MGS4, Infamous, etc.) but the Xbox has a wider variety. There are still a few years (at least 3) left for the current gen consoles, so the playstation might win out in the long run. But no one can fortell the future.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-09-01, 12:39 PM #4
X360 is currently the better of the two, bigger library, but another 2-3 years and the PS3 is going to be on top. I don't own a PS3 yet, probably wont own one, unless I get a good deal on an older, backwards compat one.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-09-01, 12:49 PM #5
Also, it seems that XBLA is getting a lot more exclusives over the PSN now. Case in point: Shadow Complex.
2009-09-01, 12:52 PM #6
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
X360 is currently the better of the two, bigger library, but another 2-3 years and the PS3 is going to be on top.

Why would you say that?
2009-09-01, 12:54 PM #7
I have both, and I will say that my game library for Xbox 360 is much greater than that of the PS3. However, I still end up "using" my PS3 more because it is a media power house, and the few games I do have for it, are really really really awesome.

Plus, the PS3 is getting God of War III, the now announced GoW I and II make-overs, GT5, more Metal Gear Solid (as well as the other consoles), Uncharted II, Massive Action Game, has Infamous already, among many many more that I would specifically name for ones that I'm looking forward too. Those are the games that right now I can 100% say will be in my library the second they come out. Plus it has MGS4 and LittleBigPlanet, etc.

If you have the funds, you might as well. It really comes down to what exclusives you enjoy more.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2009-09-01, 12:58 PM #8
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Why would you say that?

Because the PS3 is going to have a much longer lifespan than the X360. Primarily due to the BRD capability. Developers are only starting to migrate over to the PS3 now that the X360 has just about reached its peak. I don't believe many games have really pushed the PS3 yet. Think about the marvels that came out of the PS2 toward the end of its life, SotC was pretty amazing, and still is considering what the PS2 was built from.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-09-01, 1:10 PM #9
One of the primary reasons behind wanting a PS3 is the bluray playback..if the 360 did BR, then I'd get one of those..
woot!
2009-09-01, 1:27 PM #10
I want to see a second-gen cell processor. THE POWAH
Stuff
2009-09-01, 1:30 PM #11
Think about the marvels that came out of the PS2 toward the end of its life, SotC was pretty amazing, and still is considering what the PS2 was built from.

This is actually a bad comparison for you to make. You are saying that the PS3 will end up on top because it is more powerful and then compare this to the great games that came out on the PS2 near the "end of its life" (which seems to me they are still, or were very recently, making games for it). That actually argues against your point because the PS2 was the weakest system of the last generation. If we stipulate that the PS3 is more powerful than the 360 that now puts the 360 in the underdog status, horsepower wise, and the "PS2" in this analogy.

I've been wondering what and when the next XBox might be and I wonder if they'll just sort of DSi it. Release a new version of the 360 that is technically superior yet fully backwards compatible. I wonder about bluray support and I can see one big reason why they wouldn't want to add it. I think a return to a proprietary disc format would be great as it would reduce the cost by not adding the licensing requirements that bluray would entail. I could care less about bluray support in a game console other than the increased storage capacity. They could probably use hd-dvd format disc for games storage at a significant cost reduction over bluray. Strategically launch a beefed up 360 sometime before the PS3 is poised to actually make any significant leap and hopefully kill the Sony game jugernaut once and for all. Downfall is people actually wanting to buy another console but bring it to market cheap enough and people will bite. They have the time to develop it. Hey, I can dream!
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-09-01, 1:34 PM #12
Writing video games that run well on a glorified media decoding processor is a *****.
2009-09-01, 1:40 PM #13
Originally posted by JLee:
One of the primary reasons behind wanting a PS3 is the bluray playback..if the 360 did BR, then I'd get one of those..

Yeah but just because 360 doesn't have a BR doesn't mean you can't enjoy HD media.

The HD movie rentals XBox has and some netflix titles are in HD. All streaming
2009-09-01, 1:42 PM #14
Primarily due to the BRD capability.
The Bluray drive in the PS3 has a constant read throughput roughly equal to the worst case for the DVD drive in the 360. It also has much higher seek times. It's great for movies and intolerably hubristic Japanese developers who believe themselves poets laureate and want to force hours upon hours of boring insipid poorly-voiced cutscenes upon people who just want to shoot the bad men.

This is why so many PS3 games require you to install them, and why the same games on the 360 do not.

Quote:
I don't believe many games have really pushed the PS3 yet.
In what direction? The PS3 has effectively half as much RAM as the 360 (depending on specific usage) and a CPU with less than a third of the scalar performance.

Quote:
Think about the marvels that came out of the PS2 toward the end of its life, SotC was pretty amazing, and still is considering what the PS2 was built from.
The PS2 was built from a lot of very customized parts. A huge part of the challenge with PS2 development was the lack of good documentation and developer support. Hell, it took game developers a year or so before they figured out they could use more than 4 MB of textures on the awful thing. You can't compare it to a system like the PS3 or Xbox 360, which were built from (essentially) lightly modified commodity hardware.
2009-09-01, 1:44 PM #15
Originally posted by zanardi:
Yeah but just because 360 doesn't have a BR doesn't mean you can't enjoy HD media.

The HD movie rentals XBox has and some netflix titles are in HD. All streaming

My connection won't reliably stream youtube. HD? ahahah.

Originally posted by Jon`C:
The Bluray drive in the PS3 has a constant read throughput roughly equal to the worst case for the DVD drive in the 360. It also has much higher seek times. It's great for movies and intolerably hubristic Japanese developers who believe themselves poets laureate and want to force hours upon hours of boring insipid poorly-voiced cutscenes upon people who just want to shoot the bad men.

This is why so many PS3 games require you to install them, and why the same games on the 360 do not.

In what direction? The PS3 has effectively half as much RAM as the 360 (depending on specific usage) and a CPU with less than a third of the scalar performance.

The PS2 was built from a lot of very customized parts. A huge part of the challenge with PS2 development was the lack of good documentation and developer support. Hell, it took game developers a year or so before they figured out they could use more than 4 MB of textures on the awful thing. You can't compare it to a system like the PS3 or Xbox 360, which were built from (essentially) lightly modified commodity hardware.

Hmm. Maybe I should just get a 360 then, and keep using the PC -> TV for HDDVD/Bluray.
woot!
2009-09-01, 1:46 PM #16
Eh. I bought my PS3 when it was still the cheapest Bluray player on the market. It does the job really well, but it's totally ****ing worthless for gaming.

Technical specifications shouldn't matter to you unless you're developing games or if you are talking about how great the PS3 might be some day and have them thrown at you.
2009-09-01, 1:52 PM #17
Maybe I should just get a 360 and Forza 3 and call it a day. :D
woot!
2009-09-01, 2:07 PM #18
Originally posted by JLee:
My connection won't reliably stream youtube. HD? ahahah.

That's YouTube's fault. I oftentimes have trouble with YouTube as well, and my connection is ridiculously faster than necessary for it.

I can stream HD movies off of Netflix no problem, otherwise.
2009-09-01, 2:10 PM #19
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
That's YouTube's fault. I oftentimes have trouble with YouTube as well, and my connection is ridiculously faster than necessary for it.

I can stream HD movies off of Netflix no problem, otherwise.

Yeah, the highest quality Netflix stream is only about 4 megabit anyway, so it's honestly not all that much data.
2009-09-01, 3:02 PM #20
You probably all know that I don't like to get into the whole tech argument thing, all I know is that I bought a monolith last week and I already prefer it to the 360. :P
nope.
2009-09-01, 3:09 PM #21
Originally posted by Baconfish:
You probably all know that I don't like to get into the whole tech argument thing, all I know is that I bought a monolith last week and I already prefer it to the 360. :P

Yeah but you're European, and we all know you Europeans have this obsession with Sony :suicide:
2009-09-01, 3:15 PM #22
The XBox outsold the PS3 in Japan 4:1
2009-09-01, 3:20 PM #23
I've heard numbers before saying Xbox>PS3 but I never knew it was that much.

If that doesn't say much for the Xbox, I don't know what else does...
2009-09-01, 3:42 PM #24
Developers are only starting to migrate over to the PS3 now that the X360 has just about reached its peak. I don't believe many games have really pushed the PS3 yet.

Developers typically develop primarily for the XBox360 because the PS3 is retarded to develop for. If you want to develop a game that fully uses the PS3's hardware capabilities you have to focus a lot of your programmer's efforts on the extra memory management developing for the PS3 entails.

EDIT:
Originally posted by Jon`C:
T

what he said
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.
2009-09-01, 4:09 PM #25
JLee, I would pick the console that has the most games that appeal to you. Yes, the 360 does have a larger library of games, but if most of those games don't interest you then there's no point in owning one. Personally, Blu-Ray was a major influence on my PS3 purchase back in the day so that's still something to consider. Oh and those HD streaming movies, they're not as high quality as a Blu-Ray movie. Furthermore if you prefer having a disc and having special features, digital distribution isn't the way to go.
2009-09-01, 5:11 PM #26
Originally posted by Darth:
Yeah, the highest quality Netflix stream is only about 4 megabit anyway, so it's honestly not all that much data.

When you have a 1.5 megabit connection, 4 megabits is kind of a lot. :gonk:
woot!
2009-09-01, 6:03 PM #27
If MS had gone for 1GB of RAM in their console, they would be in a really powerful position right now.
2009-09-01, 6:05 PM #28
LOL if ANY console had that much video memory games would look AMAZING
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.
2009-09-01, 6:06 PM #29
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Yeah but you're European, and we all know you Europeans have this obsession with Sony :suicide:

I think it's because sega went down the tubes and we don't like things that feel cheap. :P
nope.
2009-09-01, 6:44 PM #30
If MS had gone for 1GB of RAM in their console, they would be in a really powerful position right now.

How about produce each and every 360 with an adequate hard drive.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-09-01, 6:59 PM #31
also wireless
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2009-09-01, 7:05 PM #32

I highly, highly doubt another 512MB of RAM would do anything whatsoever in that regard.
2009-09-01, 7:47 PM #33
Well, a friend of mine just told me he's thinking about selling his 360 (but isn't yet sure) and offered to let me use it for a bit to see if I like it.

Sounds good to me.
woot!
2009-09-01, 8:56 PM #34
Originally posted by llibja:
also wireless

and hdmi.
I love my xbox, but no hdmi on the majority of the xboxes out there is stupid.
i understand the wireless being a money gimmick, but still lame.
2009-09-01, 8:58 PM #35
Originally posted by Squirrel King:
and hdmi.
I love my xbox, but no hdmi on the majority of the xboxes out there is stupid.
i understand the wireless being a money gimmick, but still lame.

Most 360s don't have HDMI..?

WTF?

I need to do some research.
woot!
2009-09-01, 9:03 PM #36
All of the older ones do not have HDMI.
The new ones won't have it either.

If you get one made in the past few years, it should have it.
2009-09-01, 9:12 PM #37
What? Any 360 available on a store shelf now and in the future will have HDMI.

e: Also, my 360 just died tonight :/
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2009-09-01, 9:25 PM #38
Originally posted by Squirrel King:
All of the older ones do not have HDMI.
The new ones won't have it either.

If you get one made in the past few years, it should have it.

Uhm, it's only been out for a few years.

According to Microsoft, all new 360s have HDMI out.
woot!
2009-09-01, 9:30 PM #39
One time I saw a Red Ring of Death on my 360. I unplugged the power block from the console and plugged it back in and it worked fine right after that. I think it came loose, I'm not sure.
2009-09-01, 9:30 PM #40
My xbox is from 2006, and does not have HDMI.
I read somewhere the new line of xboxs (well, specifically the elite with the price drop) will not have HDMI.
Maybe my sources are bad.

But the old Xboxs do NOT have HDMI.

Not the most reliable place, but I got the result in 2 seconds.
http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/xbox-360-price-cuts-planned-for-asia-too/
That was what I was talking about for the no HDMI.

↑ Up to the top!