Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I kinda want a PS3
I kinda want a PS3
2009-09-01, 9:33 PM #41
Originally posted by Squirrel King:
My xbox is from 2006, and does not have HDMI.
I read somewhere the new line of xboxs (well, specifically the elite with the price drop) will not have HDMI.
Maybe my sources are bad.

But the old Xboxs do NOT have HDMI.

Not the most reliable place, but I got the result in 2 seconds.
http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/xbox-360-price-cuts-planned-for-asia-too/
That was what I was talking about for the no HDMI.

They don't come with an HDMI cable. $2.64 at Monoprice.
woot!
2009-09-01, 9:49 PM #42
Ah, ****, I'm a retard.
Yea, I have like 5 HDMI cables laying around.
Hrm... I might get one of these elites now even though I own the 20 GB xbox.
So yea, the old xbox don't HAVE hdmi support. Guess I got mixed up on reading on CABLES as no hdmi at al.
2009-09-01, 11:39 PM #43
Originally posted by Jon`C:
...and a CPU with less than a third of the scalar performance...

But...but...CELL!
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2009-09-02, 3:31 AM #44
Originally posted by JLee:
When you have a 1.5 megabit connection, 4 megabits is kind of a lot. :gonk:

From what I recall Netflix buffers and rescales depending on available bandwidth. Your connection would probably do fine.

Originally posted by Squirrel King:
i understand the wireless being a money gimmick, but still lame.

I've always appreciated the fact that a feature I consider to be redundant is not included in my console. I prefer it to be available seperately but I also prefer to connect my console via ethernet.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-09-02, 5:48 AM #45
I love my 360. Bought it second hand, it works perfectly, and came with a bunch of games, so I'm doubly happy. Looks beautiful in HD, too. Although my favourite aspect of it is having it hooked up to our home network, because it's great streaming music from my computer through the Xbox while I'm playing.

I was a little shocked by the price of the "official" wireless adapter, I'll admit. I don't know why any USB dongle wouldn't work. But ethernet works just as well for us so it wasn't insurmountable.
2009-09-02, 6:12 AM #46
I say close this endless debate, and start up a BRING BACK CARTRIDGES thread... *sigh* I miss the good ol' days.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-09-02, 6:26 AM #47
I've got a PS3. I have it hooked up via HDMI, I use the blu-ray all the time and its networked. I don't do a lot of online stuff, but it keeps itself up to date and I download the occasional game from the store (Marvel vs Capcom 2). I'm pretty satisfied.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2009-09-02, 8:02 AM #48
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
I say close this endless debate, and start up a BRING BACK CARTRIDGES thread... *sigh* I miss the good ol' days.

Cartridges suck. I don't want to see them ever again in coming generations.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-09-02, 11:00 AM #49
Originally posted by Wookie06:
From what I recall Netflix buffers and rescales depending on available bandwidth. Your connection would probably do fine.

his video quality would be pretty bad and no chance in hell of getting HD

Quote:
I've always appreciated the fact that a feature I consider to be redundant is not included in my console. I prefer it to be available seperately but I also prefer to connect my console via ethernet.

no more redundant than a computer with built in wireless (show me one that doesn't also have ethernet port... i dare you)

most people like that wireless is built into the PS3 even those that do use ethernet... and people are less thrilled about having to spend extra money to get wireless on the 360...

Originally posted by LividDK:
I was a little shocked by the price of the "official" wireless adapter, I'll admit. I don't know why any USB dongle wouldn't work. But ethernet works just as well for us so it wasn't insurmountable.

you can always go with any wireless-ethernet bridge and the wireless adapter for the original xbox is fully supported by the 360

also some things to remember about the 360 for JLee if your friend's 360 is an older non-hdmi model you will not get DVD upscaling and unless your TV supports 1080p over component you won't get that in games unless you use a VGA cable (i'm assuming your TV has VGA input)
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-09-02, 12:11 PM #50
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
his video quality would be pretty bad and no chance in hell of getting HD

Depends on your definition of bad. If SD would play then it would be fine. Only way to know would be for him try but doesn't really matter. If he cares he can try and decide for himself.

no more redundant than a computer with built in wireless (show me one that doesn't also have ethernet port... i dare you)

most people like that wireless is built into the PS3 even those that do use ethernet... and people are less thrilled about having to spend extra money to get wireless on the 360...

A computer is a bad comparison. If you are talking about a laptop, they are designed with portability in mind. Desktop computers are much more closely related to a console in that they are generally stationary and require connections to external devices to use. Most desktops don't include wireless (I would presume although mine did but I'll probably yank the card to make room for something else) and if they do it's most likely redundant. In my opinion. I'd just rather not pay an inflated price for unneccessary luxuries on a game console such as bluray playback and wireless adapters. But I'm also a stickler for having my equipment networked together as reliably as possible so I really can't think of any reason I wouldn't take the extra step to run ethernet cable. Plus, I acquired quite abit some time back so I don't foresee not having enough anytime soon.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-09-02, 12:30 PM #51
A computer is a bad comparison. If you are talking about a laptop, they are designed with portability in mind. Desktop computers are much more closely related to a console in that they are generally stationary and require connections to external devices to use.

One could argue that, unlike computers, game consoles are intended to be integrated in the most basic entertainment setups. I mean, even the Wii has wireless. I don't have a cable modem next to my TV because it serves a better purpose next to my computer, and if I need wireless in my home, I set up an ad hoc network through my computer's wireless card. I was always under the impression that a good majority of people don't have modems conveniently next to the living room TV set. I could be very wrong.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-09-02, 12:47 PM #52
Yeah I bet people don't usually have a router or modem next to their TV (normal people anyway)

My XBox sits right next to my switch, which is right here on my desk. Conveniently my TV and computer are next to each other.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-09-02, 1:16 PM #53
I'd just rather not pay an inflated price for unneccessary luxuries on a game console such as bluray playback and wireless adapters.

xbox 360 elite $300
PS3 Slim 120GB $300

what inflated price?
2009-09-02, 1:32 PM #54
Hell, the DS has wireless and it was/is $130. That's only $30 more than the 360's wireless adapter.
2009-09-02, 1:39 PM #55
it's actually $53 more if you count amazon having the 360 adapter for $77 but we get the point
2009-09-02, 2:09 PM #56
Does the PSP have wireless, or will the new PSP GO have wireless? Is it free or do you need some sort of plan?
2009-09-02, 2:17 PM #57
Yes, but only B (much like the older DS models), so it's nice and super slow.
2009-09-02, 2:23 PM #58
Originally posted by Temperamental:
Does the PSP have wireless, or will the new PSP GO have wireless? Is it free or do you need some sort of plan?

WLAN, not WWAN. It will only work if you're near a IEEE 802.11b access point.
2009-09-02, 3:05 PM #59
Originally posted by Darth:
Yes, but only B (much like the older DS models), so it's nice and super slow.

B isn't super slow
2009-09-02, 3:54 PM #60
xbox 360 elite $300
PS3 Slim 120GB $300

what inflated price?

That is a valid question now that the price of the "top of the line" models are equal. That comment related more to the historical fact that the PS3 has been more expensive than the 360.

In response to your price comparison above I would say that I would rather have the game console without the wireless than the inflated price of a bluray player with luxuries such as wireless and PS3 gameplay.

Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
One could argue that, unlike computers, game consoles are intended to be integrated in the most basic entertainment setups. I mean, even the Wii has wireless. I don't have a cable modem next to my TV because it serves a better purpose next to my computer, and if I need wireless in my home, I set up an ad hoc network through my computer's wireless card. I was always under the impression that a good majority of people don't have modems conveniently next to the living room TV set. I could be very wrong.

I'm sure most people don't have prewired home networks in their house that allow for convenient access to wired networks. It just personally didn't bother me to take the extra step to run one ethernet cable to where my 360 is located. I could see where some people might be intimidated by that. I know my opinion is probably in the minority but I'm still glad that a feature I would go out of my way not to use is not built in to the console. I do think the external adapter they offer is overpriced.

2009-09-02, 4:46 PM #61
Quote:
also some things to remember about the 360 for JLee if your friend's 360 is an older non-hdmi model you will not get DVD upscaling and unless your TV supports 1080p over component you won't get that in games unless you use a VGA cable (i'm assuming your TV has VGA input)

Yes, I have VGA. I have two sets of component inputs, but I am unsure if I can take 1080P over it - it's a brand new TV, so hopefully I can.

My friend's 360 is a 60Gb, so I imagine it has HDMI.
woot!
2009-09-02, 7:20 PM #62
if it's a 60GB it does have HDMI
2009-09-02, 7:34 PM #63
So here I am checking Slickdeals...and Sony is running a special w/their credit card where you get $100 off a PS3 and then $100 statement credit (up to two, grand total $300) per $1500 in purchases (have 3/mo for each $1500). Now I have to figure out if I will spend that much..and I could get a PS3 for free.

I still want a 360, though...I want Forza 3.
woot!
2009-09-03, 4:17 AM #64
Am I reading that right? You're thinking about financing $3000 to get a free PS3? Please tell me I'm misinterpretting something there.

Anyway, first time I deployed over here I ordered Steel Battalion for the original XBox which arrived shortly after I got home. I think this time I'm going to pick up the 360 racing wheel and have some fun with Forza 2 when I get home. I have progressed really far into the game but I'm really at the limit of my abilities with my current cars using a gamepad. Of course, this was all last year when I last played. I'd at least like to complete Forza 2 before I look for 3.

2009-09-03, 5:26 AM #65
So here I am checking Slickdeals...and Sony is running a special w/their credit card where you get $100 off a PS3 and then $100 statement credit (up to two, grand total $300) per $1500 in purchases (have 3/mo for each $1500). Now I have to figure out if I will spend that much..and I could get a PS3 for free.

I still want a 360, though...I want Forza 3.

Compulsive buyer >.>

(Jlee's so gonna cuff me)
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-09-03, 7:13 AM #66
Originally posted by Anakin9012:
One time I saw a Red Ring of Death on my 360. I unplugged the power block from the console and plugged it back in and it worked fine right after that. I think it came loose, I'm not sure.

You think the red ring got knocked loose??

RROD usually means critically overheated
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-09-03, 7:19 AM #67
Power supply. Different number of red lights indicate different things.

2009-09-03, 7:20 AM #68
Aye, I think it's 3 is overheating, 4 is crapoutfailure.

It might be the other way round though.
nope.
2009-09-03, 7:33 AM #69
I saw one red ring of death on my xbox once, when I opened the dvd drive to put in a game. It just kept spinning and went away when I shut it.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-09-03, 7:38 AM #70
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Aye, I think it's 3 is overheating, 4 is crapoutfailure.

It might be the other way round though.

Nah, 4 just means A/V issue, which can be just as simple as the A/V plug being loose, disconnected, or broken. There are cases where it can be worse, but usually it's just one of those simple fixes. 3's the more serious one.
2009-09-03, 7:50 AM #71
Basterds got me with two. Three would have been free but two cost me a hundred bucks. I actually got three once but the problem started with two and consistently maintained two. I have a feeling that if I told tech support "three red lights" on the phone I would have gotten a free replacement console.

Moral of the story, if you have to send your xbox for service due to red ring of death, always tell them "three red lights".

2009-09-03, 8:23 AM #72
Basterds got me with two. Three would have been free but two cost me a hundred bucks. I actually got three once but the problem started with two and consistently maintained two. I have a feeling that if I told tech support "three red lights" on the phone I would have gotten a free replacement console.

Moral of the story, if you have to send your xbox for service due to red ring of death, always tell them "three red lights".

And that's when they call you back when they get it, and tell you if you want your 360 to actually be fixed when it comes back, you're going to pay a hundred bucks. Yes, they check.
2009-09-03, 8:37 AM #73
Oh, they very well may check but I would still tell them "three red lights". Like I said, though, my problem started with two red lights. Followed their troubleshooting tips, made sure my console was cool, blah blah blah. Actually got three red lights once but then it went back to two. I legitimately had three red lights but then it went back to two. If I would have stopped at three and called them and sent it in there would not have been any deception even if they only ever got two red lights. I can certainly understand why people get pissed over that stuff. I bought the Elite when it first came out and then after just over a year of light use later I have to send them another $100 to get a replacement. I can imagine how much that hurts the average consumer that can't even afford how much they paid for it in the first place.

2009-09-03, 9:06 AM #74
Am I reading that right? You're thinking about financing $3000 to get a free PS3? Please tell me I'm misinterpretting something there.

Anyway, first time I deployed over here I ordered Steel Battalion for the original XBox which arrived shortly after I got home. I think this time I'm going to pick up the 360 racing wheel and have some fun with Forza 2 when I get home. I have progressed really far into the game but I'm really at the limit of my abilities with my current cars using a gamepad. Of course, this was all last year when I last played. I'd at least like to complete Forza 2 before I look for 3.

...no...

If you spend $3000 over six months, you get $200 statement credit.

Gas. Food. Car insurance. Etc. If I could have done this over the summer, I would have put my tuition on it - there's $4k. I pay my card off in full every month- which is why I said:
Quote:
Now I have to figure out if I will spend that much

:carl:

Oh, they very well may check but I would still tell them "three red lights". Like I said, though, my problem started with two red lights. Followed their troubleshooting tips, made sure my console was cool, blah blah blah. Actually got three red lights once but then it went back to two. I legitimately had three red lights but then it went back to two. If I would have stopped at three and called them and sent it in there would not have been any deception even if they only ever got two red lights. I can certainly understand why people get pissed over that stuff. I bought the Elite when it first came out and then after just over a year of light use later I have to send them another $100 to get a replacement. I can imagine how much that hurts the average consumer that can't even afford how much they paid for it in the first place.

So.., moral of the story - buy one new with a credit card (;)) instead of buying one used.

FYI: American Express will double the original manufacturer's warranty up to a year. Extra year warranty for free? Win.
woot!
2009-09-03, 10:11 AM #75
From what I understood in a recent Game Informer article, they are still spending tremendous amounts of money on the RROD issues.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2009-09-03, 10:50 AM #76
...no...

If you spend $3000 over six months, you get $200 statement credit.

Gas. Food. Car insurance. Etc. If I could have done this over the summer, I would have put my tuition on it - there's $4k. I pay my card off in full every month- which is why I said:

:carl:

You could check your condescension at the door. Your post was not clear because you were talking about a credit card and whether you were going to spend enough money to get $300 credit. So, apparantly you are thinking about financing $3000 worth of stuff to get a PS3. Just supposedly not $3000 worth of stuff you're not already planning on getting.

So.., moral of the story - buy one new with a credit card (;)) instead of buying one used.

FYI: American Express will double the original manufacturer's warranty up to a year. Extra year warranty for free? Win.

Who said anything about buying a used one? The red ring of death is the biggest reason I would be skeptical about any used 360 purchase. Two red lights is covered by one year. I think three is three years. System out of waranty is only $100 to replace it with a new one with no reason to use a credit card. Money saved by not financing purchases easily self insurers purchases but that is another topic.

2009-09-03, 2:34 PM #77
You could check your condescension at the door.

But it's so difficult not to.
2009-09-03, 6:09 PM #78
If you had to develop games for a PS3 you'd look down on it too :|
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.
2009-09-03, 10:53 PM #79
You could check your condescension at the door. Your post was not clear because you were talking about a credit card and whether you were going to spend enough money to get $300 credit. So, apparantly you are thinking about financing $3000 worth of stuff to get a PS3. Just supposedly not $3000 worth of stuff you're not already planning on getting.
Who said anything about buying a used one? The red ring of death is the biggest reason I would be skeptical about any used 360 purchase. Two red lights is covered by one year. I think three is three years. System out of waranty is only $100 to replace it with a new one with no reason to use a credit card. Money saved by not financing purchases easily self insurers purchases but that is another topic.

You don't get it, dude.

Some people use credit cards like you apparently use debit cards. Just because I put something on a credit card does not mean that I pay any more than you do with this elitist "credit is evil" thing you seem to have going on. In reality I end up paying less because I get 1-3% cash back from Chase...but that's another topic.

C'mon dude. It is possible to buy things on a credit card and pay the bill without incurring any interest. It doesn't save any money to not use a credit card when it's paid off every month.

Oh, and I said something about a used one.
Well, a friend of mine just told me he's thinking about selling his 360

I would rather save my "only $100" and use my no-cost extended warranty. But hey, maybe that's just me.

Yes, it's almost 2am and I am pissy. I need sleep. :rant:
woot!
2009-09-03, 11:25 PM #80
I'll get one for Gran Turismo 5. That would be the standalone reason. Bonuses are games like Uncharted, and Killzone
"Staring into the wall does NOT count as benchmarking."

-Emon

↑ Up to the top!