Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Stargate: Universe
Stargate: Universe
2009-10-02, 8:41 PM #1
I have not seen it yet, I am waiting until it is posted on hulu.
But I've heard from people that have seen it, as we were told ... it's very different... BUT it's good.

So if you've seen it, discuss.
If not, discuss anyways.

I'm worried that its just going to be a one season thing, that it won't get renewed, even if its really cool.
2009-10-02, 9:06 PM #2
It's absolutely fantastic.
Stargate Trekgalactica is amazing.
2009-10-02, 10:23 PM #3
It definately has potential / has my attention. I'm 1 hour 22 minutes into it.
The darker tone is cool.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2009-10-02, 11:19 PM #4
We need more politicians that are that brave.
2009-10-02, 11:20 PM #5
This has much more potential than I thought it would.

Some rough edges, but I can't remember the last time I was really looking forward to another episode of a Stargate show....
2009-10-02, 11:41 PM #6
Starsliders Voyager: 90210.

I thought it was crap. It's a picture of a shadow of SG1. They try to have the same style, but they're lacking... style. The same KIND of humor is there, it just isn't funny.

Also, anyone else notice that RDA really let himself go? You can see it in his cheeks.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-10-02, 11:46 PM #7
He just looks old to me.
2009-10-02, 11:54 PM #8
Originally posted by happydud:
Also, anyone else notice that RDA really let himself go? You can see it in his cheeks.

Haha yeah I didn't recognise him at first. "Hmm who is that guy with no nec-.....oh what"
2009-10-03, 12:23 AM #9
I was impressed by it.
Stuff
2009-10-03, 4:10 AM #10
It starts in the UK on Tuesday. I've set my Sky+ to record it - I've never really watched Stargate much apart from the original film, but it looked pretty decent.
2009-10-03, 4:58 AM #11
I liked it, I need to be next week already so we can watch the next ep.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-10-03, 1:18 PM #12
One of the Managers at work (UK) swears he saw a Stargate prop and ramp set up in a field on its own between Newmarket and Cambridge (presumably along the A14 Road)

Part of the filming for this?
2009-10-03, 1:42 PM #13
Originally posted by The_Reafis:
One of the Managers at work (UK) swears he saw a Stargate prop and ramp set up in a field on its own between Newmarket and Cambridge (presumably along the A14 Road)

Part of the filming for this?

Well the first two stargate series were filmed in Vancouver, BC (south west coast of Canada). I would be surprised if they moved filming for this series

Edit: Okay, the city is actually Burnaby, but it's right next to Vancouver so it's close enough: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_universe#Writing_and_filming
"You were probably a result of sabotage."
2009-10-03, 1:46 PM #14
Well every now and then they do move elsewhere for different locales, Vancouver was just the primary location.
$do || ! $do ; try
2009-10-03, 4:08 PM #15
I just saw it.

8.5/10
In comparison to the SG1 pilot episode 6.5/10

Good acting, Good CGI, Great characters, everything is good really. :tfti:
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2009-10-03, 4:36 PM #16
I enjoyed it a lot.
It's darker. It's different (which I enjoy... I don't want another season of SG-1, I would like another season of SGA but I'll take SGU instead) It's still got the humor (Can I get some pants?) and it seems to have some more realistic drama to it which is a change of pace.
I look forward to the next episode, but again, I don't hold any promises for the series.

I don't see a lot of progress for a series that sets it self up with a count down clock everytime something happens.
2009-10-03, 5:14 PM #17
"Lost" made an entire season work with nothing but a countdown clock.
Stuff
2009-10-03, 5:19 PM #18
Originally posted by kyle90:

I have not seen even a second of a preview of that show.

but i guess if it works, it works. We'll see.
2009-10-03, 5:21 PM #19
the reason being I have not seen a second of a preview is because the show looks ****ing retared.
At least SGU is to my liking. half my class likes lost and my teacher has only seen the first season and gets pissed when people talk about it past season 1 its funny lol.
2009-10-03, 5:49 PM #20
I liked it. I propose calling it "Battlegate Starlactica".
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2009-10-03, 6:01 PM #21
Battlegate Voyager: Sliders 90210
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-10-03, 6:03 PM #22
I want to know more about the ship, especially the FTL drive. :geek:
$do || ! $do ; try
2009-10-03, 6:08 PM #23
I heard it's going to be called a D.E.M. Drive.

DEM stands for deus ex machina
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-10-03, 6:57 PM #24
i just finished watching it and I really can't wait for more. it's got some good potential.

it almost doesn't seem stargatey, but then of course they want the series to be separate from SG:1 and SGA so that it stands by itself as it's own series. but it could use some more stargatey injections.

Like the design of the ship/shuttles. After watching Atlantis it just doesn't seem like it's ancient technology except for the ocassional ancient writing or SGA style holo-computer screen. it looks way more alien and utilitarian then the ancients have been known for.

which I can understand, it was suppose to be designed to be sent out un-manned and then crewed when it's mission was complete, but it still seems very un-ancient like.

The plot is also a bit chicle, but with the stargate background it seems to work out for the setting and I kinda get the feeling that while everyone hates Dr. Rush, in the end he's probably going to be a very likable character. While I like the Young character as the leader, he seems to have a bit of a hidden agenda. I only say this because of the case he stashed into bag before he took the stargate.

unless the case he took with him was the ancient communication stones. but I though Rush was through the gate before Young filled his sack.
The Gas Station
2009-10-03, 7:30 PM #25
Rush is a jerkface. "Your dad just died, and I want you to know... it's not my fault."

But, SG has a definite formula. Every group has included one likeable bumbling super-genius character.
2009-10-03, 8:11 PM #26
Another thing about Rush: He's actually responsible for all of this technically.

Note how he doesn't object to the dialing of earth until he realizes Eli figured out the 9th chevron problem. Only then does he say that it would be too dangerous to dial Earth, even if he does make a valid point about the blast transitioning through (but what about the iris?). There is also no mention of dialing some other planet, any other planet, as Young suggests, too late. He is willing to put everyone's lives at risk to solve his puzzle.

He then lies about it to Chloe later after her dad dies, claiming he wasn't at all responsible.

Also, did you see him right at the beginning when everyone is coming through, and he walks up onto the balcony? I swear he's almost smiling as he realizes he's solved the 9th chevron puzzle.

Oh yeah... and follow the ancient stones. First we see Young grabbing them, and almost dying for it. Then Rush takes them and uses them to contact Earth... and then takes the credit for bringing them along! We never see his conversation. Intentional no doubt, so we don't know if he's telling the truth. However everything is likely true with the exception of him being made leader, which I think is likely a lie.

As for the power struggles we see... it should be interesting to see how it unfolds (I hear it goes on, I think Young ends up dying later on which sparks it?). I'm rooting for the Lieutenant.

I liked the music in this. My favorite bit is when Rush tells Eli about ascension... the Atlantis Ancients' theme plays in the background.

I also like the strings (not sure what instrument) throughout (you hear them right in the beginning).

2009-10-03, 8:19 PM #27
Originally posted by Grant:
Like the design of the ship/shuttles. After watching Atlantis it just doesn't seem like it's ancient technology except for the ocassional ancient writing or SGA style holo-computer screen. it looks way more alien and utilitarian then the ancients have been known for.

That's a good thing. The less, "Oh hey, this super advanced civilization hired the same apparently immortal interior decorator for every building they ever built" thing is pretty hokey.
2009-10-03, 10:56 PM #28
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
That's a good thing. The less, "Oh hey, this super advanced civilization hired the same apparently immortal interior decorator for every building they ever built" thing is pretty hokey.

well yeah, but it's a design standard that has carried through all of SGA and parts of SG:1. we know earth has current day design with a bit of sci-fi spice and Goa'uld has a distinct Egyptian theme and the ancients has very angular construction with but still looked impressive and powerful.

the new ship design is pretty alien for sure and just doesn't seem like the ancients we know from 11 years of stargate.

I guess the only ancient constructions we've seen have been science labs, some war ships and a couple of cities that was suppose to be the crown jewel of their entire race, so I guess it's nice to find a working class vessel.

It did kind of make the ancients a bit more interesting when we find out the entire galaxy places them on this pedestal of awe and we found out they are just as corrupt and stupid as the younger races, so seeing another side is nice in a way.

I just wish they'd tie the ancient ship in closer with SG:1/SGA a little more then re-using the railing's for a balcony.
The Gas Station
2009-10-03, 11:20 PM #29
I really enjoyed it.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-10-03, 11:50 PM #30
Originally posted by Grant:
I just wish they'd tie the ancient ship in closer with SG:1/SGA a little more then re-using the railing's for a balcony.

Pretty balcony, though

[http://kyle90.info/images/_screenshots/stargate_universe/snapshot20091004041726.jpg]
Stuff
2009-10-04, 12:32 AM #31
Someone photoshop The Doctor in.
2009-10-04, 8:49 AM #32
Missed this when watching the ep, but that leather chair on the left is in excellent condition after how many thousands of years? :P
$do || ! $do ; try
2009-10-04, 9:18 AM #33
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
Missed this when watching the ep, but that leather chair on the left is in excellent condition after how many thousands of years? :P

I'm sure its pleather ;)
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-10-04, 9:26 AM #34
Rush is a Cylon Goa'uld.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-10-04, 10:20 AM #35
Oh, I really hope we see more of the war with the Ashen in the Atlantis movie.

Seriously that battle scene was awesome.
2009-10-04, 10:35 AM #36
Show is terrible.

I will not miss an episode.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-10-04, 10:47 AM #37
You mean you'll not miss an episode in that you won't lament their absence or that you will watch them all?
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2009-10-04, 11:26 AM #38
Originally posted by Wolfy:
You mean you'll not miss an episode in that you won't lament their absence or that you will watch them all?

I will watch every episode, complain about how terrible it is, and look forward to the next one.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-10-04, 11:35 AM #39
You just love it, nobodies stupid enough to do that.
2009-10-04, 12:45 PM #40
Originally posted by kyle90:

Isn't that 24?
Nothing to see here, move along.

↑ Up to the top!