Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What have you accomplished today?
What have you accomplished today?
2009-10-13, 7:17 AM #1
I submitted three rebates, sent out another resume/cover/application, replaced my power supply and made chocolate chip cookie dough.

Now it's bedtime. :)
woot!
2009-10-13, 7:18 AM #2
I paid off my tuition fees for this year.
nope.
2009-10-13, 7:20 AM #3
I went to class, yay!
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2009-10-13, 7:23 AM #4
So far I replaced a Latitude D620 laptop hard drive. I'm on my way now to install a new feed roller for a laserjet p3005. Exciting!
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2009-10-13, 7:24 AM #5
In a fit of boredom, I watched "The Emperor's New Groove"

Now I'm laying in bed on my laptop contemplating whether I might just take a nap or if I should do something with my life.
Stuff
2009-10-13, 7:25 AM #6
I made polenta, buerre blanc, voulette sauce, roasted some veggies, sauted some chicken, and blanched some broccoli.
2009-10-13, 7:35 AM #7
Wrote around 200 words (out of the 500 daily quota I've promised to myself) at about 3 AM. Well, I figure 200's better than 0. :) Also, did some site maintanance for a company I do side work for. Managed to get to my official work. Still haven't managed to leave. Heh.
幻術
2009-10-13, 7:38 AM #8
Got back a programming assignment in ARCH 658, got a 94 on dat *****, wooo
Did some vertical farm research
Modeled a flashlight in rhino
2009-10-13, 7:49 AM #9
I wrote the saving/loading mechanism for my new WYSIWYG CMS for email newsletters.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-10-13, 7:53 AM #10
Woke up. Went to class. Told my proffesor she was wrong about Iceland
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-10-13, 8:31 AM #11
I sorted out my paternity leave for February.
2009-10-13, 8:37 AM #12
Was it difficult to sort?

Was quite easy for me - I didn't even have to hand in any papers until I was back (and the only thing they wanted then was my daughter's birth certificate).
幻術
2009-10-13, 8:40 AM #13
I just gave my MAT B1 form to the nice lady in accounts. She's sorting it all out for me ;)
2009-10-13, 8:47 AM #14
I wrote a tool to convert images to 16-bit MATs using Floyd-Steinberg dithering, it auto generates mip-maps using bicubic filtering.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-10-13, 9:53 AM #15
I woke up, spent an hour on the ferry working on my level, and now I'm going to work. I'm writing automation tools to test AV software under low-memory conditions. (totally lame)
2009-10-13, 9:57 AM #16
Went to class.

Still in class.
2009-10-13, 10:10 AM #17
I paid a credit card bill
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2009-10-13, 10:17 AM #18
I made significant progress toward vanquishing my fear of death.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2009-10-13, 10:23 AM #19
Interviewed two candidates for a position in my department, held an annual evaluation with a current employee (had to scold her quite a bit), signed a long overdue purchase order for a ton of money (more than I make in two years!), and retrieved information from one of our supervisor's computer that will likely lead to his termination/resignation.

And it's not even 10:30 yet!
2009-10-13, 10:24 AM #20
Wow, Steven, nice. What do you do, exactly?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-10-13, 10:32 AM #21
I've been at my job 2 and a half years and I've yet to have any kind of performance review or appraisal, other than being told I still had a job at the end of my probation period.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-10-13, 11:25 AM #22
Finished building the frame for my new bar, tore down the rest of the wall and cut the two studs where it shall be located, and installed the frame.

So much more to do, though...
"And lo, let us open up into the holy book of Proxy2..." -genk
His pot is blacker than his kettle!
2009-10-13, 11:27 AM #23
I worked on some PHP/MySQL/JavaScript/AJAX stuff for my code portfolio for my resume.

2009-10-13, 11:46 AM #24
I've so far done nothing. And it's been everything I thought it could be. :)
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2009-10-13, 11:46 AM #25
I am a supervisor in the Public Works Department of a local municipal government. I mainly oversee the contracts we have with various vendors (trash services, certain water services, park maintenance, etc). I do that full time.

Lately, though, I've also been working an additional 20 hrs a week as the head of the Technical Department. This includes things like managing our office computer network (which is why I am able to look at Massassi, when no one else can :ninja: ). Most of the "big things" are handled by a network management service we contract with, so I only do minor, local troubleshooting stuff. I also oversee the audio, lighting, and video components of our public concert halls, outdoor events, and other similar activities.

I enjoy my tech job a lot more than the business administration job, which is ridiculous, since I earned an MBA, but have nothing other than some volunteer and hobby experience in the technical area.
2009-10-13, 11:57 AM #26
Originally posted by Detty:
I've been at my job 2 and a half years and I've yet to have any kind of performance review or appraisal, other than being told I still had a job at the end of my probation period.

That's bad business practice. In the United States, California in particular, annual/regular performance reviews are crucial. If, for some reason, an employee needs to be terminated due to performance issues, documentation needs to be presented. This includes signed documentation of the employer informing the employee of areas that need improvement, presenting action steps, and conducting followups. Failure to provide such documents can lead to litigation. Things may be different in the United Kingdom, but I would never skip on the employee review.

It also serves as positive reinforcement when an employer officially recognizes an employee's contributions. It makes everyone feel good.
2009-10-13, 12:00 PM #27
Originally posted by Detty:

I always assumed you would never become dettymental to your work force.

SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-10-13, 12:06 PM #28
:suicide:
2009-10-13, 12:15 PM #29
I applied (late) to the Capital Punishment Clinic. Thirty minutes later, I got an email telling me I'd been accepted to the Capital Punishment Clinic.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-10-13, 12:18 PM #30
Yes, but what did you accomplish during those thirty minutes?
2009-10-13, 12:19 PM #31
I made it all the way from George's Cafe to my classroom. :XD:
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-10-13, 12:21 PM #32
I filled out a job application.
2009-10-13, 12:27 PM #33
got up, got dressed, peed, and walked back to my room to sit on here till i feel like getting food
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2009-10-13, 12:50 PM #34
Said goodbye to my wife and flew from San Diego to Dallas. Next stop is London, then Bahrain.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-10-13, 12:57 PM #35
Originally posted by Steven:
That's bad business practice. In the United States, California in particular, annual/regular performance reviews are crucial. If, for some reason, an employee needs to be terminated due to performance issues, documentation needs to be presented. This includes signed documentation of the employer informing the employee of areas that need improvement, presenting action steps, and conducting followups. Failure to provide such documents can lead to litigation. Things may be different in the United Kingdom, but I would never skip on the employee review.

It also serves as positive reinforcement when an employer officially recognizes an employee's contributions. It makes everyone feel good.

That's probably true for most government or union jobs, but no place I've worked since I got out of the AF in 2000 has had any sort of regular performance reviews. At my last job, I asked for one every so often, and they'd always come back glowing, then I'd ask for a raise ;)
2009-10-13, 1:04 PM #36
I taught two sections of a class, watched Heroes & House on Hulu, and have fallen asleep three times while trying to read a paper.
2009-10-13, 1:26 PM #37
I repaired 9 laptops, submitted 2 new issues to our "known issues" database, I got in to a "public" email argument with my boss where I made him look the retard that he is & I did all of this with a fever because I'm sick. :(

I have the rest of the evening off from my 2nd job & will be relaxing with a good book ("The Greatest Show On Earth" by Richard Dawkins) while my wife cooks dinner & then we'll probably watch a DVD together via Netflix (streaming).
? :)
2009-10-13, 1:31 PM #38
School, Came home.
Jogged 2KM, Sat on my ***.
2009-10-13, 1:38 PM #39
Originally posted by genk:
got up, got dressed, peed, and walked back to my room to sit on here till i feel like getting food

food has been gotten

now to eat it and enjoy some farcry
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2009-10-13, 1:54 PM #40
Wow, genk. You enjoy such a fast-paced life. :p
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.

↑ Up to the top!