Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What have you accomplished today?
What have you accomplished today?
2009-10-13, 1:59 PM #41
Went to two classes in the morning, and had a bible study at 1pm. Since then I haven't done anything productive in the slightest.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2009-10-13, 2:17 PM #42
While it may be more true for government or union jobs, lack of employee appraisals leaves employers open to lawsuits, particular in today's litigious society.

It's always wise to have a paper trail. Anything else is just bad business practice, regardless of employer.
2009-10-13, 2:17 PM #43
Brian: Six Flags is a private company and they have regular performance reviews for all of their employees - full time down to seasonal. Can't speak for any experience with other companies though
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2009-10-13, 2:31 PM #44
Took a LaTeX mini-course, submitted a progress report, started 2 primary cultures of recombinant E. coli for methyl ketone production, did 4 transformations into E. coli MG1655, ordered some 2-tridecanone and hexanes mixture, made SOC media and LB plates, started reviewing a submitted paper for my advisor, and started writing some fellowship essays. All in all, not a very productive day.
2009-10-13, 2:56 PM #45
Maybe your states suck. Here it's at-will, you can quit or be fired at any time for no reason.
2009-10-13, 3:25 PM #46
"At-will" does not translate to "not in danger of a lawsuit."
2009-10-13, 3:32 PM #47
Regular performance reports don't shield you from a lawsuit either. My point is that they don't need a paper trail of your inadequacies to justify firing you -- they can fire you for no reason at all.
2009-10-13, 3:45 PM #48
I had reviews when I worked for a supermarket, a bank and a town..and I believe I'm in an at-will state as well. :confused:
woot!
2009-10-13, 4:00 PM #49
Steven, maybe it actually means nothing to avoid a lawsuit, but every job I've had has been at will. I had to sign that I understand they can fire me for any and no reason before being hired.

I understand half your point though, I wrote some SOPs for a place I was a supervisor at so I could fire people for not following them. (I got to fire someone!) But there was no reviews. It was just like "ok everyone here knows you don't do this stuff, so I can fire you for not doing your 'job'" but this was for a small food shack at a vacation resort ><
2009-10-13, 4:04 PM #50
Got up, played CoD4, went to town, got a cavity filled, went home, played CoD4, talked to people, talked to the ex, about to go to town again.

Updates as they come.
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2009-10-13, 4:41 PM #51
Originally posted by ragna:
Took a LaTeX mini-course, submitted a progress report, started 2 primary cultures of recombinant E. coli for methyl ketone production, did 4 transformations into E. coli MG1655, ordered some 2-tridecanone and hexanes mixture, made SOC media and LB plates, started reviewing a submitted paper for my advisor, and started writing some fellowship essays. All in all, not a very productive day.

I remember these from my research days. Lots of necessary work, but no tangible progress. I'm glad I don't do it anymore.

My day: I finished writing an appliation for a librarian job.

Edit: Oh, I just noticed my title. I don't get it. I'm sad now. :(
2009-10-13, 7:44 PM #52
Originally posted by ragna:

Heh, good times. I did some plasmid work for a recent paper. On that end, just finished my poster for the Society for Neuroscience Conf (four days before I'm supposed to present, lol).

Otherwise, saw some patients, put a hole in few heads to put drains in (external ventricular drain), was on a tumor resection case and an aneurysm case, then went home, worked on my paper. Overall, got in at 5 AM, home at 9PM, repeat for six days a week.
2009-10-13, 8:08 PM #53
Rid a laptop of ntos.exe
2009-10-14, 1:14 AM #54
Woke up at 11AM, showered, went to class at 12PM, class again at 130PM, went back to my dorm, watched TV, finished a speech for a class, took a nap, woke up, went bowling, went to wall-mart (the devils palace), went and ate burger king, now ive been doing homework from 1am til... idk im not done and i should get back to my homework
2009-10-14, 1:23 AM #55
I just used Wolfram|Alpha to show why I can't get laid.

Well, more accurately, I used it to determine the logical implications of the fact that I can't get laid.

But the very fact that I can use W|A for this is a pretty good proof in and of itself.
Stuff
2009-10-14, 4:03 AM #56
I finished building a new pc.

Originally posted by kyle90:
Now I'm laying in bed on my laptop [...]

isn't that very dangerous? http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/17664.php
2009-10-14, 5:10 AM #57
Only if I care about ever having kids... the traditional way at least :P
Stuff
2009-10-14, 8:57 AM #58
spent a couple of hours covering a shift on the SCT (silicon tracker) on ATLAS, ran into a few problems where endcap C was absent from the detector partition after the run had been started. This caused the SCT to go "Busy" and not output any data as it was looking for part of itself that it thought should be there but wasn't...

Anyways, run was stopped, partitions of all the sub-detectors taken offline, fixed the problem, run started again, all looked good when I left.

Done some marking of Thermal and Kinetic physics course...yawn...fixed a few problems with some of my grid jobs, now sitting in a group meeting that is starting to make me think about shouting myself...
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2009-10-14, 9:05 AM #59
Started lifting with my older brother.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2009-10-14, 9:16 AM #60
Found out I won an Emmy.

Nineteen students in a capstone online journalism seminar at Minnesota State University Moorhead won an Emmy in the category Advanced Media Student Production from the Upper Midwest Chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences for their online magazine... Patrick Winkle, writer, is a 2008 Mass Communications graduate from Northome, Minn.
2009-10-14, 9:18 AM #61
I went to the gym on my lunch break yesterday and destroyed my legs. I almost died trying to get up the stairs when I got home last night.
2009-10-14, 9:20 AM #62
I love that feeling.
2009-10-14, 9:24 AM #63
I had a kart race sunday, last of the season. Qualified 3rd. 2nd heat my chain came off the sprocket. In the feature race I was able to move my way back up to 3rd, passing my teamate and mentor, and had a good run down with 2nd. Finished 4th in the points.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-10-14, 10:12 AM #64
I have accomplished nothing today apart from gaining a heightened sense of urgency about some crap I have to do.
nope.
2009-10-14, 10:14 AM #65
Originally posted by SiliconC:
Found out I won an Emmy.

wow thats awesome, congrats.

i just woke up and did laundry.
I'm proud of my life and the things that I have done, proud of myself and the loner I've become.
2009-10-14, 10:17 AM #66
So far today I've showered and put clothes on. This is farther than I get most days.
Stuff
2009-10-14, 8:35 PM #67
Your accomplishments are all boring and inconsequential.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2009-10-14, 9:02 PM #68
I'm flying out to the ship in a little bit.. Enjoying my last few minutes of fast internet. Which really is not an accomplishment, so much as just what I'm doing.. But I guess I accomplished waking up at 4am to check out of the barracks and get to the Navy Airport in Bahrain.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-10-16, 12:13 AM #69
Slept in (classes were cancelled).... detonated a corndog (Suddenly. Corndog chunks! EVERYWHERE!).... earned my desert eagle in Call of Duty 4
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2009-10-16, 12:48 AM #70
Wrote a little more for my ambitious story.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2009-10-16, 2:37 AM #71
Designed steelwork for York Racecourse for the Owners and Trainers stand.
2009-10-16, 8:31 PM #72
Worked a catering event of 350. (sarcastic) Fun!!! (/sarcastic)
2009-10-16, 9:07 PM #73
Put some finishing touches on my PHP comic script, validated it, made sure it rendered correctly in all browsers, and then disabled the admin panel for IE (too many syntax errors and unsupported object property errors to bother fixing... next time I need to learn a JS framework).

Tomorrow I will upload it so I can properly validate it live, and set up a sample site for my resume portfolio. Then I will have the first proper sample of my web skills.

2009-10-16, 9:36 PM #74
Went for a 9am bunch ride with some people. Did 85km. First long ride after 5 weeks off the bike. Was pleasantly suprised at how easy much of the ride turned out to be.
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling ability!!"
2009-10-16, 10:12 PM #75
woke up around 7:30, drove home 2 1/2 hours, worked on restoring my phone to what it was 2 days ago data-wise till 2, went to work till midnight, just sat down.

and no beverages in the house of the relaxing kind
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2009-10-17, 4:55 AM #76
Originally posted by Molgrew:

Don't worry. kyle90 never has sex anyway. :o
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-10-17, 5:17 AM #77
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
Don't worry. kyle90 never has sex anyway. :o

:gbk:

brb, hanging self
Stuff
2009-10-17, 9:38 AM #78
Hung out w saberopus, watched The Informant! together, showed him a bit o' Pittsburgh.
2009-10-17, 9:59 AM #79
Let's see... got out of bed, went to the bathroom, sat down in front of the computer... yep, that about sums it up.
2009-10-17, 10:04 AM #80
Most days isn't it something like:

hiked 50 miles
climbed a tree
busted some kids having sex in the woods
climbed another tree
removed nesting animals from beard
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

↑ Up to the top!