Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age: Origins
2009-11-03, 5:25 AM #1
Anyone picking it up today? I got my copy reserved and waiting for me to pick it up at noon. What version are you getting? I'm getting the Xbox 360 version for lack of a good PC and lack of a PS3 altogether.

Sadly, the Xbox360 is the lesser of all versions. PC looks best, PS3 behind with good quality textures, contrasts and facial animations, and the 360 gets lower resolution textures and a more washed out appearance (better performance though).

Its a shame but I'll live with it. I am going to try and get my hands on a copy of the PC version to see how it runs on my PC, because I would like to mod for it. If it runs decently, I'll get the pc version too.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-11-03, 5:35 AM #2
I'll probably wait until I buy a PS3 now that I know that the 360 version is inferior.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-11-03, 5:42 AM #3
I've been looking forward to this for a while. The trailer I saw made it look awesome; even though I'm aware it didn't show off any in-game graphics, the direction they've taken is really exciting. If I wasn't sold before the dragon's eyeballs exploded from electrocution, I certainly was after it. I don't think it's out over here for a few more days yet though, and I'm kind of short on cash so I might have to wait to pick it up. I really liked the character editor, though.

Haha, I've just gone on to Steam to check out what the price was on there. I never noticed before, but under the RPG header it says "I put on my robe and wizard hat". Made me chuckle.
2009-11-03, 5:48 AM #4
I'm thankful that, for my part, its the gameplay and storyline that I'm looking forward to and not the graphics themselves. I knew from the beginning that all versions of the game would somewhat subpar to current-year graphics. I'm a bit sad that xbox 360 gets lesser textures but I'll know for certain when I get home just how "bad" they really are. I might not be put off by them at all. Heck, Mass Effect's blurry texture pop in's didn't really bother me one bit when in the face of such great story telling.

Still, I am hoping that my PC will be able to run it to some extent so I can mod it a few months down the line.
2009-11-03, 5:52 AM #5
Here is a comparison video of the Xbox360 vs PC

There is definately a difference between the two, but its hard to tell how annoying it will be once I've got it on a full screen. It doesn't look as bad as I originally dreaded. I am however somewhat worried about the poppins (mostly vegetations). That **** drove me nuts in Oblivion and I had hoped gaming had put that nonsense behind.

There is a huge difference between the two versions of the werewolves. On the xbox their fur is slick on them, while on the PC its very shaggy (like real fur)

Ah how I wish I could afford a good PC. Or that a new console generation would come. While PC make strides every year, the consoles are bound to their hardware.

I wonder how an AMD X2 4800+, 2GB Ram and an ATI x1900xt would fare with the game.

Of course to do so, I'd need to format and reinstall windows xp and sp3

Something you might want to consider before purchase, Detty :

Quote:
The PS3 game is seldom stable after you begin venturing out to other parts of the game world. And the pop-up is horrific on the PS3 game, you'd imagine that with such awful pop-up, the game would AT LEAST have a stable framerate. Not to mention the textures in the PS3 game are noticeably worse too. Goddamn it, I'm just so sick of the PS3 getting shafted like this again.
While the xbox might have the worst textures of them all, according to all reviews I've read, its framerate and performance is much, much more stable.

In the best of worlds, we'd all be getting this little gem for the PC

EDIT : Yay for coolmatty post merging (tm)
2009-11-03, 6:48 AM #6
To save this thread from just being Jep talking to himself:

I'll be getting it for the PC. I do have a 360, but it looks like a game I'd enjoy more for the PC. Plus, there is a noticeable difference in quality judging from that video. Also, my housemate is desparate to go halves with me on Modern Warfare 2, which necessitates buying it for the Xbox, and means it probably won't leave the drive for a few weeks. As an aside, does MW2 have local co-op?
2009-11-03, 7:01 AM #7
I do believe it does, at least in the form of SPec-Ops mode.

I just ordered this video card from newegg due to its very very low price. Its a significant upgrade to my x1900xt anyway you put it, and this way I'll be able to get Dragon Age for PC.

Now to format and reinstall windows with SP3
2009-11-03, 8:25 AM #8
Originally posted by Jep:
I do believe it does, at least in the form of SPec-Ops mode.

That's good, at least.

Did you have a look at the character editor at all? I had a quick look at the skills and backgrounds, then went and made one character in detail. I came away quite impressed, even if it wouldn't let me upload my character to my Bioware Social Network account.
2009-11-03, 8:37 AM #9
Yea I did take a look, it does seem very impressive. I look forward to getting some really time with the game!
2009-11-03, 8:42 AM #10
Picked it up this morning, and I'm installing it to the 360 hard drive as I type this. Once that's done I'll start the DLC download, leave for class, and when I come back it should be ready for me to play. :)
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-11-03, 10:29 AM #11
****ers reserved a french copy for me and have no english ones left! ARG!!!!
2009-11-03, 10:39 AM #12
I will likely get it for PC..eventually.

I'm so far behind. .(
woot!
2009-11-03, 10:42 AM #13
Threw caution to the wind and ordered a copy from Amazon. Supposed to be here next Monday, which is good because I have that day off :)
2009-11-03, 3:56 PM #14
I'll get this eventually. Too many games to play at the moment.
2009-11-03, 6:18 PM #15
The 360 graphics look really, really bad... Especially compared to a game as old as Mass Effect.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2009-11-03, 6:19 PM #16
Best not to mention flat out breaking the law.
2009-11-03, 6:21 PM #17
Originally posted by drizzt2k2:
I bought it for x360 and am pirating it on the PC. This is because my roommate fell in love with the game while I was gone and wont stop playing so I'm going to start on the PC. He's a warrior and I am a mage. The 360 graphics look really, really bad... Especially compared to a game as old as Mass Effect.

:carl:

Why the hell would you do that?
2009-11-03, 7:06 PM #18
Do what
2009-11-03, 7:44 PM #19
edit fail

:carl:
2009-11-03, 8:15 PM #20
The 360 graphics aren't that terrible. Sure they are not up to current-year graphics, but really, that isn't what the game is about. They still serve their purpose fine.

I am adoring the game so far.
2009-11-03, 8:30 PM #21
Do what

Support the xbox version and pirate the pc version. Developers are cutting back on pc games enough as it is already. Doing stuff like this just sends the message: "Never develop any game that is more suited to the PC platform."
2009-11-03, 8:53 PM #22
Originally posted by Jep:
The 360 graphics aren't that terrible. Sure they are not up to current-year graphics, but really, that isn't what the game is about. They still serve their purpose fine.

I am adoring the game so far.

Parlez vous francais?
2009-11-03, 9:22 PM #23
The reviews I've seen put it at 60 hours on the low end. Gonna wait til the Christmas break when I have some real time to get involved.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-11-04, 3:04 PM #24
You bastards made me feel bad. I bought it on steam
2009-11-06, 8:37 AM #25
Ahh, crap. My copy arrived today while I was at Uni. Not in itself a bad thing, but I'm in work tonight, tomorrow night, and Sunday. I was hoping it'd just come on Monday so I didn't have it sat here for the weekend, but alas. Although I do have a late start tomorrow, so I could probably sneak in a few hours during the afternoon...
2009-11-06, 8:42 AM #26
Just bought it on Steam -- will offload my 360 copy eventually..for 10 bucks, why not.

Edit: hah, wtf. For some reason I thought I was in the Mass Effect thread. I do not yet have DAO. .(
woot!
2009-11-06, 9:06 AM #27
Jlee you can probably get more for your 360 version if you bring it back in sometime soon. If I bring mine back to my local Microplay story, they'll give me around 40$ for it.
2009-11-06, 12:27 PM #28
Turns out I wasn't in work as early as I thought tonight, so I've just played through the origin story of my human warrior. I am really quite impressed. For the limited amount I've played I have enjoyed the writing and the voice acting has been great, although I don't think the characters themselves move all that naturally sometimes. The combat looks good (Shield Pummel for the win) with just a few niggly issues I suspect I'll get over when I'm more used to the game. Plus what with the free item codes and the loot I've already found I even have some decent kit!

Right, now I have to go to work :(
2009-11-06, 7:38 PM #29
I'm already something like thirty hours in. Just a freaking amazing game.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-11-06, 8:35 PM #30
This game so far is unbelievable. Bioware never ceases to amaze me with every release. It has enough elements to remind me of Jade Empire and KOTOR (mostly in the game setup itself) but it's such a rich and deep game you can't miss out on it even if you're not into the RPG genre.

I seriously would back Bioware on every game they release, I don't think they've even ever released a game that got mediocre reviews.
2009-11-06, 8:55 PM #31
Wait, Bioware?
Im sold.
2009-11-06, 10:02 PM #32
I dunno, I've found the game kind of...bland? so far. The gameplay is barely interesting enough but at least the story is great. The character leveling and combat feels dumbed down so much because I'm a big fan of the work they did with d20 in KOTOR and NWN so that is where I'm coming from with that.

However, some people think d20 is too complicated, so I understand that.
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.
2009-11-06, 11:10 PM #33
I'm enjoying it so far. I'm only level three, but I'm taking my time. :)
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-11-06, 11:31 PM #34
The game runs like absolute **** on my PC. 2.2 ghz intel dual core with 2 gigs of ram and nvidia 7900 256mb graphics card...I figured I would at least be able to play an unchoppy game on the very lowest settings, but even then its unbearably choppy. This is why I should have pirated it first...And I was able to run Fallout 3 on full. Not saying they are the same but if I could run Fallout 3 on full then why cant I play this on the lowest possible settings?
2009-11-06, 11:36 PM #35
The game runs like absolute **** on my PC. 2.2 ghz intel dual core with 2 gigs of ram and nvidia 7900 256mb graphics card...I figured I would at least be able to play an unchoppy game on the very lowest settings, but even then its unbearably choppy. This is why I should have pirated it first...And I was able to run Fallout 3 on full. Not saying they are the same but if I could run Fallout 3 on full then why cant I play this on the lowest possible settings?

Fallout 3 max'd out on a 256mb 7900? I'm calling BS on that.
woot!
2009-11-06, 11:47 PM #36
Originally posted by JLee:
Fallout 3 max'd out on a 256mb 7900? I'm calling BS on that.

Yes, it would max it and I could still play. It would be a little laggy for sure but it was something I could deal with if I wanted it to look super nice.
2009-11-06, 11:55 PM #37
What resolution? IIRC I'm only at 30-40fps with 3.24Ghz / 4Gb and a 4890 (1920x1080).
woot!
2009-11-06, 11:59 PM #38
1440x900
2009-11-07, 12:12 AM #39
Im also calling bull, It still lags a little on my 5770 maxed 1680x1050.
Are you sure you are using AA?
2009-11-07, 6:12 AM #40
It combat in this game turn based?
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"

↑ Up to the top!