Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age: Origins
2009-11-07, 9:04 AM #41
PS3/XBox360/PC Graphical Comparison

Seems like a game I would be interested in but I have so many now that I have barely scratched the surface of. The game may very well get a "Game of the Year" edition or something anyway so it is probably good to wait. While I'm surprised the 360 version appears to be of lower visual quality than the PS3, which in a review of the PS3 version was the lowest scored area of the game, I'm guessing the developers made a conscience decision to keep the performance higher. Funny they made a different choice on the PS3 version.

JLee, I can paypal you or something if you do decide to offload that game cheap.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-11-07, 9:41 AM #42
I just had a pretty sweet experience where I loaded my save game and my tank (my dude with awesome shield/armor) had all his gear deleted. what the ****... this was after I updated to the patch that stopped save data corruption
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.
2009-11-07, 10:04 AM #43
I'm playing on PC. So far it's pretty awesome, I love it how characters behave like real people (no black & white), and how the game is not afraid to kill off characters.

And the cutscenes are awesome. The battle at Osgard (sp?) looked like something out of a Peter Jackson movie.
幻術
2009-11-07, 11:28 AM #44
Originally posted by Koobie:
And the cutscenes are awesome. The battle at Osgard (sp?) looked like something out of a Peter Jackson movie.

I just finished that part. Very epic.
2009-11-08, 12:56 AM #45
So this is probably the best game I've played in a few years. I just got through the part with the sloth demon who locks you away in the fade. That part was INFURIATING but the challenge was fun. I was bummed that I got no loot the whole time, but had to use my real potions even though it was a dream. But aside from that, it was well and good.

OH, and I experienced my first bug and how to resolve it. Dwarf noble background. If you find yourself without your Blood Dragon armor or other DLC stuff after you've been exiled then just save your game, quit, disable the missing DLC, force your savegame to load without the DLC, save, quit, enable the DLC and load again. The item will reappear in your inventory.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-11-08, 2:04 AM #46
I think it's impossible to make a major decision that's clearly right in this game, and nearly as difficult to make one that's clearly wrong. Pretty much any choice you can make at any point is at least defensible. This is a story about people making some pretty horrifying concessions to the awful reality they find themselves in, and BioWare absolutely nailed it.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-11-08, 5:10 AM #47
I absolutely refuse to read any spoiler tags in this thread, which is somewhat of a novelty because usually I don't mind the occasional spoiler for a game. I just can't help but feel like I've got something special coming from this game, and it's really exciting. Can't wait for tomorrow; got the whole day off so I'm just going on a DA:O binge.

Edit out of curiosity: who else called their dog Dogmeat? I think I've done that with any pet in any game since Fallout.
2009-11-08, 7:13 AM #48
Well, after buying a new video card and reformating my computer with Win XP SP3, I bought myself Dragon Age. I have to say... the experience when compared to the xbox360 version is a world apart. The ability to zoom out to a top down view during combat makes things so much more fun, and its easier to build strategies, whereas on the console, you're more tempted to just put together some Tactics for your followers and just focus on real time combat. The encounters are significantly more difficult on the PC though, which, I imagine, Bioware did to match the better combat controls.

Browsing inventory, codex, quest information and what not is also very well designed, compared to the rather troublesome Xbox version.

Graphics themselves are very crisp and I get decent framerate even when maxed out. I have to say, though, I'm surprised that many think the game is ugly or subpar. While I admit the Kokari Wilds are so so, and that popups are annoying, the settings are very beautiful. Ostagar is really neat. I think the graphics especially shine during dialogue and cutscenes. The lighting on characters is beautiful and very realistic. The expressions might be a tad stiff, but I didn't find them bad at all.

Overall I'm having a blast, I got to Lothering last night.

I cannot wait to start toying with the toolset.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-11-08, 7:17 AM #49
So far what I've heard of the toolset is that it can be incredibly complex to figure things out, and yet the scope for actually creating objects is quite narrow. Hopefully that's just people not having enough experience with it and we'll see some good community-based work coming out in the future.
2009-11-08, 7:20 AM #50
Ooh, I want to try the PC version too.

I don't believe graphics make a game (gameplay is the most important), but the one thing that really, really bothers me is when things "pop in" in a landscape. I don't know why, but it truly annoys me. Can you adjust the level of which things appear in the PC version? I noticed the xbox360/PS3 version have this issue.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-11-08, 7:54 AM #51
Did anyone buy the deluxe edition off steam figure out how to access the included DLC? I've got to the part where I can accept the Soldier's Peak question, but I can't figure out how to access the content without buying it again....
2009-11-08, 8:16 AM #52
Nevermind...got my code redeemed. Now if I can just log in to EA's servers to download this stuff.....*sigh*
2009-11-08, 9:54 AM #53
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Ooh, I want to try the PC version too.

I don't believe graphics make a game (gameplay is the most important), but the one thing that really, really bothers me is when things "pop in" in a landscape. I don't know why, but it truly annoys me. Can you adjust the level of which things appear in the PC version? I noticed the xbox360/PS3 version have this issue.

By setting the Graphics Detail to very high on the PC version, you pratically double the distance of popups, so you don't notice them half as much. On High setting they are the equivalent of the 360/PS3
2009-11-08, 5:22 PM #54
SA had a funny article on some of the codex notes. They're hilarious! My favourite is
[http://i.somethingawful.com/u/ctstalker/2009/2009_11_07_codexdual.jpg]
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-11-08, 5:26 PM #55
hahahaa wtf
2009-11-08, 5:39 PM #56
How well would it run on my PC? Or should I get it for 360?

AMD Phenom 2.6Ghz Quad Core
8 Gigs RAM (1066 i think)
ATI Radeon 4870 Overclocked to something via Catalyst Control Center
Windows 7
2009-11-08, 5:39 PM #57
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
SA had a funny article on some of the codex notes.

Haha, that's awesome!
2009-11-08, 5:45 PM #58
Originally posted by Spectrael:
How well would it run on my PC? Or should I get it for 360?

AMD Phenom 2.6Ghz Quad Core
8 Gigs RAM (1066 i think)
ATI Radeon 4870 Overclocked to something via Catalyst Control Center
Windows 7

Right. Just trying to show off right?

"Guys how will the game run on my top of the line PC?!?"

:P

It runs great maxed out on a crappy

AMD X2 4800+
2GB RAM DDR
ATI HD 4650 (Overclocked)
2009-11-08, 5:57 PM #59
No honestly I wasn't/aren't.

I built my PC around this time last year (well then had 4 gigs RAM) but threw more in for the hell of it cuz it's cheap.

The most modern games I've played on it are WoW and Team Fortress 2. Oh and Left 4 Dead, but figured that didn't have high requirements since it was a Source engine game.
2009-11-08, 7:21 PM #60
How did you build that last year when your video card was released not too long ago..
2009-11-08, 8:21 PM #61
Was going to go with a 4850 but decided to hold off until the 4870s came out. It was like late december when I started putting it together so wasn't really that long a wait.
2009-11-08, 8:31 PM #62
Originally posted by ELITE WARRIOR:
How did you build that last year when your video card was released not too long ago..

Radeon 4870 was released last year? I got mine in December, and it wasn't new then.:confused:
2009-11-08, 8:37 PM #63
aoh wow i was thinking 5770! my bad
2009-11-08, 8:44 PM #64
Just to cut in here, the 5770 is a damn good card.
Carry on.
2009-11-09, 5:50 AM #65
I'm thinking about grabbing this for PC (as I have two other PS3 games in the fold waiting for me). I'm hoping this MacBook Pro (2.2Ghz C2Duo, 2GB, Mobile 8600) will at least be able to run it at decent settings. Might download first to check that out

I do want to start up a new Mass Effect game though, so not sure if I'd be able to manage both haha
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2009-11-09, 5:57 AM #66
I'm pretty sure you'll do fine at 1280x1024 (or equivalent widescreen size) on Medium-High graphic details and Medium textures (which look just about as crisp as high. You only really notice it a bit on certain armor types, like Duncan's)

I really cannot stress enough how worthwhile it is to get this gem on the PC. Fights are more challenging, but the far superior control scheme is a lot more fun and involving.

Btw, to the dog name question, I named mine Mars.

So what race/class/history people select?

My first character:
Bale Cousland
Noble and son of Teyrn Cousland of Highever
Warrior (Sword & Board Tank build)

Group composition:
Bale, Morrigan, Sten and Alistair
or
Bale, Morrigan, Lelianna and Alistair

Extra notes : Morrigan is getting angrier and angrier about my heroic ways
2009-11-09, 6:12 AM #67
I can't say what my first choice party selection will be, since I've only just picked up Morrigan, but I too chose a human warrior for my first run through. I've actually just alt+tab'd out of the game to share this. Penny Arcade reference? I asked Dogmeat to find me something interesting and he came back with this.
Attachment: 23011/foundcake.jpg (206,119 bytes)
2009-11-09, 6:17 AM #68
Also, meant to ask this in previous post, what are your opinions of the combat system? I'm not a huge fan so much of turn-based combat, or even having to pause multiple times in battle (I much prefer Mass Effect style, which while the inventory was incredibly broken, I like the strategy of equipping the character and then fighting it real time).
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2009-11-09, 6:35 AM #69
Originally posted by mscbuck:
Also, meant to ask this in previous post, what are your opinions of the combat system? I'm not a huge fan so much of turn-based combat, or even having to pause multiple times in battle (I much prefer Mass Effect style, which while the inventory was incredibly broken, I like the strategy of equipping the character and then fighting it real time).

Well, the combat is intended to be very tactical. Any way you cut it, you'll need to play smart. On any one version, you are not FORCED to pause the game. On the PC version you'll have access to all of your character's abilities with a simple click of a button via the hotbar at the bottom. One consoles, you'll have access to 6 of your abilities via the right shoulder buttons, but will have to open up the radial menu (which pauses the game like it did in Mass Effect) to select more indepth abilities.

Each character have tactic slots (and each gain additional slots through skill selection and passively through levels) which you can setup in a wide variety of ways. You can tell the character what to do when they are surrounded by enemies (you can even select how many enemies minimum). You can tell them to use a specific ability when a certain health level is reached (for self, enemy or ally (or specific ally)). And even more options. So you can fine tune your companions without having to play them all the time.

On the console, it was rather painless to play real-time (with some use of radial). On the same difficulty on the PC, the fights are significantly tougher and ence the need for me in-depth strategy. Still, depending on the difficulty setting you'll be able to play accordingly. If I remember well the PC game manual even suggests certain difficulties for different play styles.

I personally play by micro-managing each of my characters' abilities/targets, so I pause after every few hits. You really don't have to do that though. I could, and should, probably try doing what I'm doing now but in real-time instead, but my characters seem to die rather fast, before I can have them heal up, on some fights. Zooming out to a birds-eye-view of the battlefield during combat, on the PC, is a significant advantage (which is why they made fights somewhat easier on consoles.)
2009-11-09, 9:29 PM #70
SO I took my old *** 3.6 ghz pentium 4 dell dimension 8400 out of the closet it was rusting away in and popped in 4 gigs of ram (up from 1) and bought a geforce 9500 GT and popped that 1gig graphics card in and I'm running everything on full, no lag, no choppiness. The way God intended this game to be played. And I am erect.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2009-11-10, 10:33 AM #71
Quote:
The game runs like absolute **** on my PC. 2.2 ghz intel dual core with 2 gigs of ram and nvidia 7900 256mb graphics card...I figured I would at least be able to play an unchoppy game on the very lowest settings, but even then its unbearably choppy. This is why I should have pirated it first...And I was able to run Fallout 3 on full. Not saying they are the same but if I could run Fallout 3 on full then why cant I play this on the lowest possible settings?

I think your problem is the CPU/RAM. This game requires some hefty CPU and RAM prowess, check out the MINIMUM system requirements:

Quote:
Windows XP Minimum Specifications

* CPU: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.4Ghz or greater
* AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 1.8Ghz or greater
* RAM: 1GB or more
* Video: ATI Radeon X850 128MB or greater
* NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 128MB or greater
* DVD ROM (Physical copy)
* 20 GB HD space

Windows Vista Minimum Specifications

* CPU: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.6Ghz or greater
* AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 2.2GHZ or greater
* RAM: 1.5 GB or more
* Video: ATI Radeon X1550 256MB or greater
* NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB or greater
* 20 GB HD space

Recommended Specifications

* CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz Processor or equivalent
* RAM: 4 GB (Vista) or 2 GB (XP)
* Video: ATI 3850 512 MB or greater
* NVIDIA 8800GTS 512 MB or greater
* 20 GB HD space

As for the questions regarding "Will it run on my computer?", I am currently using an AMD Athlon 64 4800+ (I think that's 2.4 ghz?) with 4GB RAM and an ATI 3870. I have the game maxed out with AA turned off, running in 1440x900. While I can't give an exact FPS reading (if someone can tell me how to turn it on I will) but the game runs without a hitch, smooth as butter.

EDIT: After reading drizzt's post I would be willing to bet the issue was his RAM. My friend has the exact same CPU as me, with the exception of using only 2 GB of RAM and he's complained that he can only run it on medium settings with 5 minute load times.
2009-11-10, 10:50 AM #72
Can't play it. Don't care.
2009-11-10, 11:13 AM #73
Well that was a productive comment.
/bitter
2009-11-10, 5:39 PM #74
Well that was a productive comment.
/lul
2009-11-10, 6:10 PM #75
You're so clever I love you
2009-11-11, 3:38 AM #76
I give you Bale Cousland! (On the far left)
Attachment: 23049/Bale_310-1.JPG (76,601 bytes)
2009-11-11, 8:14 AM #77
that guy in the green 2nd from the right is packin some heat... hahahaha
2009-11-11, 10:33 PM #78
Tomas is nothing if not a man with a huge p<genki>s.

I beat the game a few days ago with my male human noble rogue. Now playing a female human mage, with the sole purpose of experiencing a much more uplifting story. I've no one but myself to blame; Morrigan assured me that it would end badly .

I wish I could post a screenshot, because she's absolutely adorable. My best work in any character creator ever.
2009-11-11, 11:03 PM #79
Is she better than an actual female that you could put your penis inside?
2009-11-11, 11:13 PM #80
I'm making art here. :colbert:

↑ Up to the top!