Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So, New Vegas tommorow.
So, New Vegas tommorow.
2010-10-17, 11:26 PM #1
Oh god, Oh god I cannot wait. Watched some leaking livestream earlier and heard bits of the Fallout 1 soundtrack :neckbeard:.
2010-10-17, 11:53 PM #2
I'm hoping they keep as much of the Fallout 3 feel as possible. Fallout 3 is probably my favorite game ever.
>>untie shoes
2010-10-18, 12:13 AM #3
Fallout 3 was good, but was missing a LOT. It was made much better with mods to fill in the gaps, but still needed improvement. From what I've heard of this, it sounds like it's the much improved version of FO3 I'm hoping for, but I'm still keeping my hopes low.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2010-10-18, 12:28 AM #4
I'll have to wait at least a few days before getting it, but when I do, I'll be playing on Hardcore mode. I played a bit of Fallout 3 voluntarily abiding by similar rules, and I thought it added a lot to the experience.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2010-10-18, 12:32 AM #5
****. Forgot it was tomorrow. Damnit. ****. I have to make time somehow to play it and I have 4 exams this week. Cock.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2010-10-18, 5:32 AM #6
I hope it's there when I get home from work... lol
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2010-10-18, 5:40 AM #7
I think it's the 22nd for us Brits. I have mine pre-ordered anyway, so hopefully it will arrive on the day.

Then again, a friend of mine is celebrating his birthday that day. Bugger. At least I'll have the weekend.

Edit: Ok, I just checked Play.com again and it's no longer pre-order but "in stock". I wonder if that's just because they take 3-5 days for delivery, so you can order it now to arrive on Friday (the 22nd)? If it did arrive tomorrow then that would be awesome.
2010-10-18, 6:19 AM #8
Is steam letting you pre download already?
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2010-10-18, 6:57 AM #9
Me? I ordered a DVD copy from Play because it was cheaper by about £5. I suppose Steam would've been quicker, but I can wait a few days.
2010-10-18, 7:10 AM #10
I'm just asking in general to anyone who might know, I can't get to anything steam related at work :(
2010-10-18, 7:25 AM #11
I'm starting to get frustrated with video games, but I'm sort of torn too.

The amount of work required to make a game these days means that the engine usually remains relatively the same, and the developer tools don't evolve either. We end up with a lot of the same game released over and over again with familiar experiences. At the same time, the second and third installment in a series can sometimes show the developer's experience with their tools and engine finally maturing. I guess I just wished it didn't take so long, and that franchises didn't stall and ride on their sales figures, like blockbuster movies.

Take Black Ops as an example. It's a real solid evolution of the MW model, after 2 years of poorly made clones and rehashes by their own teams. But we're still probably not done with it, and nothing new will be said for another 2 years until it gets a marginal update again.

I will buy this FO3:NV eventually, but I still can't help but feel like it's a DLC, or another L4D2. It's not really about the money, but more about the difference (besides graphics) between first and fourth franchise games back in the day.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2010-10-18, 7:46 AM #12
Black Ops isn't a solid evolution. It was made by Activision, which essentially guarantees it will fail. The only thing it'll be known for, just as with COD5, is zombies.
2010-10-18, 7:50 AM #13
I think black ops will be good, I've liked Treyarchs installments of COD over Infinity Ward (who is no longer apart of activision). They have always been successful why do you think it guarantees fail?
2010-10-18, 7:52 AM #14
Originally posted by zanardi:
I think black ops will be good, I've liked Treyarchs installments of COD over Infinity Ward (who is no longer apart of activision). They have always been successful why do you think it guarantees fail?

Because popular opinion is basically opposite to yours. Hell, with COD5, they didn't even bother making a new menu for the game. It was sad.

Naturally they always sell well because it has the Call of Duty name tagged on it. But more people play COD4 still than COD5. COD5 is essentially nothing but zombies now.
2010-10-18, 7:56 AM #15
Well, I'm not sure about that, maybe on console. But on PC I can find more MP deathmatch games in WaW then CoD4 but that's probably because everyone is playing MW2 (Which I wont because of no dedicated servers)
2010-10-18, 8:11 AM #16
Originally posted by JediKirby:
I will buy this FO3:NV eventually, but I still can't help but feel like it's a DLC, or another L4D2. It's not really about the money, but more about the difference (besides graphics) between first and fourth franchise games back in the day.

From what I've gathered, the engine has gained quite a few tweaks, so it's not just a DLC, or in L4D2's case, a nice mod.

Not to mention you're going to get a whole new (awesome) story, with who knows how many side quests. The only thing I hope they do is make the underground 'dungeons' a bit more unique. Tired of going around in the same tunnel all the time even if I'm in an entirely new place. This has been an issue since Oblivion.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2010-10-18, 8:19 AM #17
Saying Fallout: New Vegas is DLC of Fallout 3 is like saying Fallout 3 is DLC of Oblivion.
2010-10-18, 8:25 AM #18
Well with Fallout they can re use textures and models, but that would be a lot harder with oblivion
2010-10-18, 8:52 AM #19
preloading is happenin right now for this guy here.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2010-10-18, 9:32 AM #20
I'm starting to get frustrated with video games, but I'm sort of torn too.

The amount of work required to make a game these days means that the engine usually remains relatively the same, and the developer tools don't evolve either. We end up with a lot of the same game released over and over again with familiar experiences. At the same time, the second and third installment in a series can sometimes show the developer's experience with their tools and engine finally maturing. I guess I just wished it didn't take so long, and that franchises didn't stall and ride on their sales figures, like blockbuster movies.

Take Black Ops as an example. It's a real solid evolution of the MW model, after 2 years of poorly made clones and rehashes by their own teams. But we're still probably not done with it, and nothing new will be said for another 2 years until it gets a marginal update again.

Gamebryo is a total pile of **** yes, but the amount of stuff Obsidian put into this looks amazing.
2010-10-18, 9:36 AM #21
The amount of work required to make a game these days means that the engine usually remains relatively the same, and the developer tools don't evolve either. We end up with a lot of the same game released over and over again with familiar experiences.

The tools DO evolve, all the time. There's a staggering amount of high quality middleware available to game developers that was nonexistent a decade ago. Commercial engines like Unreal make it possible for developers to not worry about writing tools and worry about making games. If anything, it's easier to make an innovative game now then in the past.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-10-18, 9:44 AM #22
Indeed. I don't think there's anything wrong with reusing engines. Progression still occurs, as there will obviously be a Unreal4 engine, but in the meantime, we don't need each game having its own engine, increasing development time and making modifications more difficult.

The ability to use an existing engine has been huge. Duke Nukem Forever apparently uses Unreal Engine 3 (according to Ars). Who knows when it'd arrive without that.
2010-10-18, 10:06 AM #23
It's actually not uncommon to write engines. A team of veteran developers with a good budget for middleware can throw together something pretty good. Asscreed has its own engine, for example.

Tools aren't the problem.
2010-10-18, 10:31 AM #24
I didn't say it was uncommon, it's just far less common than it used to be. I mean, Bethesda is using their own engine here as well, but they are reusing it. The thing is, as you said, that's development time and money that could have just been put into the game itself. The Unreal3 engine alone is all over the place recently. I'd go out on a limb and say it's already more prolific than the quake 3 engine was.
2010-10-18, 4:15 PM #25
I don't know about this. Obsidian's track record hasn't been too nice with Knights of the Old Republic 2 and Alpha Protocol. I'll wait for the reviews.
2010-10-18, 4:33 PM #26
I thought it was being supervised by Bethesda.
>>untie shoes
2010-10-18, 4:44 PM #27
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
I didn't say it was uncommon, it's just far less common than it used to be. I mean, Bethesda is using their own engine here as well, but they are reusing it. The thing is, as you said, that's development time and money that could have just been put into the game itself. The Unreal3 engine alone is all over the place recently. I'd go out on a limb and say it's already more prolific than the quake 3 engine was.

Bethesda did not make gamebryo, these guys did: http://www.emergent.net/
2010-10-18, 5:15 PM #28
Originally posted by Tibby:
Bethesda did not make gamebryo, these guys did: http://www.emergent.net/

Okay, whatever, they're still using the same engine for all said games.
2010-10-18, 5:59 PM #29
They even confirmed it for Elder Scrolls 5.
That's gonna be horrific.
2010-10-18, 6:44 PM #30
I'm sure they know what they're doing.
>>untie shoes
2010-10-18, 6:51 PM #31
Pre-loading on steam, kinda surprised by how small it is like only 4.5gb
2010-10-18, 7:09 PM #32
Never got around to playing it, is it > oblivion?
2010-10-18, 7:10 PM #33
zomgz grafix r wut make a game good
2010-10-18, 7:16 PM #34
Originally posted by Tibby:
That's gonna be horrific.

mlyp
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2010-10-18, 7:22 PM #35
Originally posted by Antony:
I'm sure they know what they're doing.

This is gamebryo man, gamebryo.
GAMEBRYO NEVER CHANGES.
2010-10-18, 7:26 PM #36
Bethesda has this track record of making good games. I think I'll trust them.
>>untie shoes
2010-10-18, 7:26 PM #37
Originally posted by Couchman:
Never got around to playing it, is it > oblivion?

Fallout 3 was miles better than Oblivion. If for nothing else, Fallout 3 didn't crash! >.>
2010-10-18, 9:36 PM #38
Originally posted by Cloud:
I don't know about this. Obsidian's track record hasn't been too nice with Knights of the Old Republic 2 and Alpha Protocol. I'll wait for the reviews.

KotOR 2 is one of the main reasons I'm excited about New Vegas. That was probably the most intelligent, nuanced approach to the Star Wars light side/dark side morality scheme that we've seen to date.
2010-10-18, 9:41 PM #39
KotOR 2 isn't entirely a fair assessment. As I understand the project was shipped before it was ready (by request of the publisher) instead of being given time to be completed. That was the only real problem with KotOR 2. It wasn't actually finished.
2010-10-18, 9:47 PM #40
Originally posted by Emon:
KotOR 2 isn't entirely a fair assessment. As I understand the project was shipped before it was ready (by request of the publisher) instead of being given time to be completed. That was the only real problem with KotOR 2. It wasn't actually finished.

I didn't want to make excuses for what I thought was already a pretty good game as shipped, but yes. I won't blame Obsidian for being essentially forced to deliver an incomplete game.

↑ Up to the top!