Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So, New Vegas tommorow.
So, New Vegas tommorow.
2010-10-18, 10:11 PM #41
Especially when it's so obvious. You crash the Ebon Hawk on the final planet, then at the end of the game you take off in the Ebon Hawk after it was completely wrecked. They obviously had to fudge it.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2010-10-19, 1:40 AM #42
Ars Technica Review: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/reviews/2010/10/fallout-new-vegas-review.ars
Giant Bomb Review: http://www.giantbomb.com/fallout-new-vegas/61-25933/reviews/
Joystiq Review: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/19/fallout-new-vegas-review/
幻術
2010-10-19, 4:30 AM #43
KotOR2 and Alpha Protocol were both great games and you all suck if you're playing New Vegas today.
2010-10-19, 7:16 AM #44
Hey Koobs, that's an ok list, but I'd appreciate a link to the Max Salnikov review as well.
2010-10-19, 7:23 AM #45
Quote:
Hello from Amazon.com.

We're sorry for the delay in shipping the order you placed on October 03 2010 (Order# 002-7843827-9291444). We have good news -- the order is now being shipped! You should receive a shipping notification shortly, within the next business day, for the following item(s):

"Fallout: New Vegas Collector's Edition"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N0YCCG

The shipping notification will include an updated estimated delivery date and tracking information if it's available.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this delay.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Only time I ever actually waste the money on a CE version of a game and it bites me in the ass. First time Amazon's ever ****ed up one of probably dozens of preorders I've gotten through them too.
2010-10-19, 8:22 AM #46
On the other hand, I just got an email stating my order has shipped. Roll on the weekend!
2010-10-19, 8:22 AM #47
pwned
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2010-10-19, 8:59 AM #48
I've been playing it for a little over an hour now:

A. Thus far I've yet to have the instability issues Ars Technica had. At the very least, it is NOWHERE near as bad as Oblivion was, which is basically unplayable on my PC due to crashing.
B. It feels a lot like Fallout 3.
C. It /seems/ to run better than Fallout 3 did. The graphics are pretty much the same (textures are a bit better), but I think the engine has had some serious optimization going on.
D. The voice acting is actually better than the character models now. I think it's time Bethesda works on that. *sigh*

I'm having a lot of fun though. Yay for Steam purchases (haha@Darth :P)
2010-10-19, 9:04 AM #49
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
I'm having a lot of fun though. Yay for Steam purchases (haha@Darth :P)

Been reading on the Amazon boards for it, and sounds like their ordering system may have just not updated orders and I may still get it.

Either way, if it's not delivered to my house when I get home from work, I'll just drive over to Best Buy or Gamestop and pick it up. Then return the one from Amazon.
2010-10-19, 9:13 AM #50
How's the story? I really got tired of every mission being a derivative throwback.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2010-10-19, 9:55 AM #51
I have the CE!
:neckbeard:
Getting up early to buy retail is the best way.
2010-10-19, 11:02 AM #52
Originally posted by saberopus:
Hey Koobs, that's an ok list, but I'd appreciate a link to the Max Salnikov review as well.

Haha, man, you cheered me up. :)

Would love to, but don't really have a computer apart from my work laptop nowadays. But it's on my first-to-get list once I have a proper PC. Right after MW2: Spec Ops. :D
幻術
2010-10-19, 11:05 AM #53
only a couple more hours... then, life will be put on hold.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2010-10-19, 4:21 PM #54
That's good news at least, the game isn't a dud. However, I'm a bit more interested in Vanquish at the moment.
2010-10-19, 4:24 PM #55
Protip: If you bought it on Steam, be prepared to go to your Steam folder, go into userdata/(somenumberfolder)/22380/ and mark the remote folder as read-only. Do this AFTER you have configured the game settings to your liking, but BEFORE you start a new game.

If you do not do this, your quick and auto-saves will never work (it will overwrite them with the oldest auto/quick save you made).

Yes, this is stupid, it's apparently a bug with Steam Cloud. I hope they fix it soon.
2010-10-20, 6:18 AM #56
My auto saves work just fine.. ??

Loving the game though, everything feels more balanced than FO3
2010-10-20, 6:43 AM #57
Originally posted by zanardi:
My auto saves work just fine.. ??

Loving the game though, everything feels more balanced than FO3

I believe they temporarily turned off Steam Cloud on the game to make it stop, but if you had old saves already in the Cloud it still breaks it.
2010-10-20, 6:51 AM #58
My dad is interested in this, but I don't share his enthusiasm.

:psyduck:

Maybe I'm still bitter about Fallout 3.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2010-10-20, 6:53 AM #59
I believe they temporarily turned off Steam Cloud on the game to make it stop, but if you had old saves already in the Cloud it still breaks it.

Ah, that's probably what it is
2010-10-20, 7:06 AM #60
Is no one here experiencing the NPC slowdown? There's a huge amount of people that basically can't play the game (any interaction with, or close proximity to NPCs drops framerate to sub 10fps).

In other words, I have a fancy, very expensive, deck of cards, and comic book.
2010-10-20, 7:23 AM #61
Nope, the game has run perfectly smooth for me, at maximum settings, 1920x1080. And my system is over a year old now.
2010-10-20, 8:09 AM #62
It has nothing to do with hardware from what I have learned. XP systems seem to run it fine, and the 'fix' for the problem (aside from other .ini file mods to improve it) seems to be dropping d3d9.dll into the FO:NV folded under My Games.
2010-10-20, 8:31 AM #63
I haven't had any issues so far with the 360 version. Main reason I got the 360 version was the exclusive (or timed exclusive at least) DLC.
2010-10-20, 8:34 AM #64
I don't think consoles are having the NPC issue, it's a DX10/11 issue. Apparently the easiest fix is to import an older file into the game folders to force it to use DX9 or something. I'm no expert on Direct X, but many people who were having the issue are no longer.
2010-10-20, 8:45 AM #65
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
I don't think consoles are having the NPC issue, it's a DX10/11 issue. Apparently the easiest fix is to import an older file into the game folders to force it to use DX9 or something. I'm no expert on Direct X, but many people who were having the issue are no longer.

Didn't say they were, but various reviews have complained about the console versions as well, which so far I've had no problem with.
2010-10-20, 8:50 AM #66

*shrug* If it's using DX10/11 on Vista/7, then I'm not having issues. I had to do no such workaround.
2010-10-20, 9:06 AM #67
What are the rest of your specs, are you running everything maxed? (res, AA, AF, Shadows, Multicore, Water, ect)
2010-10-20, 9:16 AM #68
System Specs:

Win7
Intel Core2Duo E8500 @ 3.8ghz
6GB RAM
A bunch of hard drives, no SSD :P
Radeon 4870
Onboard sound
24" Samsung and 19" Viewsonic monitors

My settings in Fallout New Vegas:

Aspect: 16:9
Res: 1920x1080
AA: 4 samples (I don't see improvement over 4, no reason to use it :P)
AF: 15 samples (As high as it goes)
Vertical Sync On
HDR on
As for advanced section, everything is at the highest option, everything is enabled.
2010-10-20, 10:20 AM #69
Ahh, ATI card. It seems less people on ATI are suffering from this bug, though there are a few. I would attribute your lack of the issue to the card.
2010-10-20, 10:33 AM #70
I have noticed a little bit of slow down near NPCs but nothing to bad. Just tweaked a bit under ultra settings, 1920x1200 gtx260
2010-10-20, 11:02 AM #71
Not sure what causes it to effect some people and not others, but it's definitely something you'll notice. It's not a matter of turning down graphics, because it does it even at minimum settings (on multiple effected machines, reported on bethsoft forums). I just hope the forced DX9 fix will help, I'm ready for some wasteland exploration.
2010-10-20, 11:12 AM #72
Well, I was going to buy it today or tomorrow, but I got the red ring of death instead. :gonk:
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2010-10-20, 11:23 AM #73
Destroy the console in some comical way if it's not under warranty, and then post video of said destruction here!
2010-10-20, 5:25 PM #74
Did you try that dx9 fix there, kop?
2010-10-20, 5:55 PM #75
Destroy the console in some comical way if it's not under warranty, and then post video of said destruction here!

Eh, not necessary. There's a local shop that will fix it for $40.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2010-10-20, 6:01 PM #76
Originally posted by zanardi:
Did you try that dx9 fix there, kop?

Yes and it worked, then I played for 4 hours, and then it deleted my savegames. This is ****ing ridiculous. I'm considering e-mailing Bethesda to [edit]demand[/edit] for a refund.
2010-10-20, 6:28 PM #77
Why would you email bethesda?
>>untie shoes
2010-10-20, 6:29 PM #78
Yes and it worked, then I played for 4 hours, and then it deleted my savegames. This is ****ing ridiculous. I'm considering e-mailing Bethesda to [edit]demand[/edit] for a refund.

Protip: If you bought it on Steam, be prepared to go to your Steam folder, go into userdata/(somenumberfolder)/22380/ and mark the remote folder as read-only. Do this AFTER you have configured the game settings to your liking, but BEFORE you start a new game.

If you do not do this, your quick and auto-saves will never work (it will overwrite them with the oldest auto/quick save you made).

Yes, this is stupid, it's apparently a bug with Steam Cloud. I hope they fix it soon.

TO BE FAIR, I WARNED YOU OF THIS.

*sigh*
2010-10-20, 6:35 PM #79
TO BE FAIR, I WARNED YOU OF THIS.

*sigh*

I was aware of this, and the only fix information available for the save game bug did not work for me.

Why would I write Bethesda? Who's name is on the front of the box? Everyone wants to pin this on Obsidian, and yeah, they are to blame, but Bethesda should have been quality control on this project, and they failed, horribly.
2010-10-20, 6:40 PM #80
The game has a bug only if you buy it from Steam and it's Bethesda's fault? I'm sorry, you are failing to make a point of any kind.
>>untie shoes

↑ Up to the top!