Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Rally to Restore Sanity and or Fear
Rally to Restore Sanity and or Fear
2010-10-30, 12:15 PM #1
Anyone else watch Stewart and Colbert's rally today? I thought it was pretty entertaining. Stewart's speech at the end was particularly good. He made some great points about the fact that actual Americans can work together very well every day, but for some reason no one on cable television or on capitol hill can seem to.

What are your thoughts on the rally? Let's hear the inevitable argument about how many people were there vs Beck's rally.
>>untie shoes
2010-10-30, 12:45 PM #2
I haven't seen it yet because I don't have cable (assuming it was televised). I did notice that on The Daily Show website they'll be putting up clips later so I'll be checking it out when they do. I did catch the episode the other day where he interviewed Obama & thought that what the President had to say was very reasonable. It's nice to once again have a president that can carry on an intelligent conversation. I especially enjoyed his comments regarding the Constitution & filibustering. It's a shame that so many Americans would rather wait until their favorite "commentator" (the only source of "news" that so many of them get) re-defines/mis-interpretes everything that he says instead of listening to it from the horse's mouth.
? :)
2010-10-30, 6:35 PM #3
I really don't like the direction the president is going with filibuster reform. with the exception of declarations of war or reactions to large scale horrible disasters I don't think the government should be able to "push" it's generally punitive legislation through without having numerous obstructions throw up on either sides of the isle. The filibuster is in fact not in the constitution at all. But the ability for the senate to write it's own rules for operating IS written Into the constitution. And filibuster is a part of those rules, and an important one. It is there to keep the majority in check and give at least some kind of voice to the minority. And really if ant issue can't even muster 60% of the vote, maybe it needs to be looked at and not rushed through.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2010-10-30, 6:54 PM #4
Yeah but we need to avoid the "we don't like this legislation: fillibuster!" bs that goes on.
>>untie shoes
2010-10-30, 8:11 PM #5
In two years this administration has already passed financial regulatory reform healthcare reform, multiple bailouts for banks and other major industries... I dont see filibustering as being the gvernment crippling thing it is being made out to be. It really seems like the thinking is 'you had your turn now it's ours so stop resisting' and being bi partisan means YOU doing what WE want. Please understand I feel this way about republicans AND democrats.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2010-10-30, 8:48 PM #6
I went (Work a few blocks from it), it was pretty good, not great. There were some sound and video issues, and it seemed like they weren't really organized. Some parts were awesome (Yusef & Ozzy = holy awesome, Stewart's speech at the end), some parts were good (Mythbusters, some of the comedy bits), some felt like terrible time killers (Kid Rock & Sheryl Crow, the PK Winsome bit).

The crowd was great, everyone was just really nice, especially some of the redditors I met up with last night. The signs were great, I really liked the energy of the whole thing. In the hell of this election it was a nice reprieve for a few hours.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2010-10-31, 2:33 AM #7
Originally posted by Antony:
Yeah but we need to avoid the "democrats!: fillibuster!" bs that goes on.

fixed
2010-10-31, 3:04 AM #8
Yeah but we need to avoid the "we don't like this legislation: fillibuster!" bs that goes on.
No, it's...

"Voting against this legislation would mean political death, but we still want the democrats to look like they can't accomplish anything: filibuster!"

You know what the word filibuster actually means? It means to give a long-winded speech intended to delay. Back when the Grand Hero of the Republican Party, Strom Thurmond, filibustered the Civil Rights Act of 1957, he literally had to spend 24 hours straight spouting the hateful and racist invective of the Good Christians in the Moral Majority. 24 hours! The bill eventually passed, but only after KKK Grand Dragon Thurmond was no longer physically capable of speech.

Today the Republicans are using it in order to usurp the Constitutionally-granted powers of the majority (or supermajority.) It's gotten so bad that the Republicans are filibustering utterly retarded ****, like appointments to janitorial duties and the ****ing labor relations board.

Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
But the ability for the senate to write it's own rules for operating IS written Into the constitution. And filibuster is a part of those rules, and an important one. It is there to keep the majority in check and give at least some kind of voice to the minority. And really if ant issue can't even muster 60% of the vote, maybe it needs to be looked at and not rushed through.
The framers set very specific rules for what requires a majority and what requires a supermajority. In most cases, the absolutely unprecedented ability of a minority to completely hijack the debate or block a vote is certainly against the spirit of the constitution and probably against the letter.
2010-10-31, 4:36 AM #9
Instead of filibustering, people should just pop over to a local deli and have an honest chat over coffee and homemade cake.

I should so ****ing rule the world.
2010-10-31, 4:39 AM #10
From the clips I've seen, the rally looked like quite awesome.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2010-10-31, 5:03 AM #11
[http://s-ak.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/terminal01/2010/10/30/17/enhanced-buzz-3292-1288475616-12.jpg]

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-100-best-signs-at-the-rally-to-restore-sanity
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2010-10-31, 6:45 AM #12
Originally posted by Jon`C:
"Voting against this legislation would mean political death, but we still want the democrats to look like they can't accomplish anything: filibuster!"

That's pretty much what I was trying to say.. Thank's for once again saying it better than I can.
>>untie shoes
2010-10-31, 9:05 AM #13
I thought it was pretty good. The stuff from 11-12CST was pretty lame, especially the Mythbusters thing. That crowd was just way too big to have that work well.

Other than that though, I thought the Colbert/Stewart parts were excellent. I don't think they mentioned ONE politician/anchors name during the whole thing, which was definitely a high road. I'm also glad tos ee estimates are 215K for the rally, whereas Beck's were around 80 :)

Was I the only one who saw the fully completed barrage of clips Colbert and the "fear" side showed and felt depressed at how awful news is?
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2010-10-31, 9:58 AM #14
Pretty entertaining show. Colbert's poem, read by Sam Waterston, was probably my favorite thing in the entire rally.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2010-10-31, 10:05 AM #15
MANTRAIN FOR PREZ
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2010-10-31, 11:46 AM #16
I most likely would have been there had I not been recovering from jet lag (and still am recovering). Some of the signs made definitely look funny. :)
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2010-10-31, 12:58 PM #17
Originally posted by Martyn:
Instead of filibustering, people should just pop over to a local deli and have an honest chat over coffee and homemade cake.

I should so ****ing rule the world.

Cakes come from bakeries, not delis. UNAMERICAN ALERT :ARGH:
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2010-10-31, 12:58 PM #18
wait i mean :argh:
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2010-10-31, 1:01 PM #19
When Tracer means :argh: Tracer means business
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2010-10-31, 1:07 PM #20
Originally posted by Tracer:

homemade cakes come from home, *****
2010-10-31, 3:38 PM #21
Originally posted by Tracer:

1. What Maclongname said.
2. Delis are meant to sell delicacies so they can sell whatever the hell they want to long as it's desired somewhere. :P
nope.
2010-10-31, 3:40 PM #22
rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2010-10-31, 3:42 PM #23
Quote:
Delis are meant to sell delicacies so they can sell whatever the hell they want to long as it's desired somewhere.

NOT IN MY AMERICA[/u]

Quote:
homemade cakes come from home, *****

take your legal mumbo jumbo somewhere else, mclawyerface :mad:
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2010-10-31, 4:50 PM #24
I enjoyed the Mythbusters part, but it may be more fun to experience it than to watch it. Adam Savage needs to learn how to speak into a microphone.

All in all, very fun. All the people I saw were just there to have fun. We all had some grievances that I think Stewart (and Colbert, through satire) touched on very well. Stewart's closing speech was really well done. A+, would go again.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2010-10-31, 8:20 PM #25
I imagine it was an entertaining comedy show. I do feel that Leibowitz takes himself far too seriously and I also wonder why he would have a radical Islamist perform but, whatever.

Let's hear the inevitable argument about how many people were there vs Beck's rally.

Not really anything to argue about there. Roughly a tenth of the people showed up for the comedy rally.

Originally posted by Tibby:
Yeah but we need to avoid the "democrats!: fillibuster!" bs that goes on.

Yeah, because like, only Republicans filibuster.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2010-10-31, 8:31 PM #26
Originally posted by Wookie06:
I imagine it was an entertaining comedy show. I do feel that Leibowitz takes himself far too seriously

:carl:
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2010-10-31, 8:34 PM #27
Not really anything to argue about there. Roughly a tenth of the people showed up for the comedy rally.
A statistical analysis of the number of people at Beck's rally, based on aerial photos, reported 87,000 ±9,000 with 95% confidence. A similar analysis of the number of people at Stewart/Colbert's rally reported 215,000 ± 22,000 with 95% confidence.

You are completely full of ****, regardless of which rally you consider the "comedy" one.
2010-10-31, 8:35 PM #28

How have you arrived at that conclusion?
>>untie shoes
2010-10-31, 8:38 PM #29
I imagine it was an entertaining comedy show. I do feel that Leibowitz takes himself far too seriously and I also wonder why he would have a radical Islamist perform but, whatever.

Can we get a ban for trollin', because this is just getting too obvious.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2010-10-31, 8:40 PM #30
Gentlemen, don't be so harsh. I can't imagine what it would be like to be completely incapable of counting and I'm sure you can't either.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2010-10-31, 8:40 PM #31
No kidding.

[edit: in response to fishstickz]
2010-10-31, 8:41 PM #32
And who's the radical "islamist"
>>untie shoes
2010-10-31, 8:41 PM #33
[http://i.imgur.com/AoxXh.jpg]
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2010-10-31, 8:56 PM #34
Originally posted by fishstickz:

Please. This is easily the most inflammatory, stupid, wrong and easily-refuted thing Wookie06 has ever claimed on this forum. He's either a ****ty troll or he's a few standard deviations south of the average, and anybody who understands statistics better than Wookie06 pretends to can guess which is more likely.
2010-10-31, 9:06 PM #35
And who's the radical "islamist"

Yusuf Islam, because he was once mistakenly denied entry to the United States. Obviously.
2010-10-31, 9:47 PM #36
Originally posted by fishstickz:

Seriously. It would be one thing if I thought Wookie was truly an idiot but he's just god damn annoying.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2010-10-31, 11:25 PM #37
But if he gets banned then Massassi will become a utopia!
2010-10-31, 11:45 PM #38
Originally posted by Spook:
Seriously. It would be one thing if I thought Wookie was truly an idiot but he's just god damn annoying.

I would like threads about anything other than politics to stop being hijacked.

o.0
2010-10-31, 11:50 PM #39
Originally posted by Tibby:
But if he gets banned then Massassi will start abusing me again!

Just kidding Tibby, I think you've done alright lately.
2010-11-01, 2:01 AM #40
My deli is run by a couple who live above it. Hence the homemade cakes.

What I'm saying is that the US politicians should GET ON A PLANE and come to my deli. Because it rocks.

(today's special is oak smoked chicken with Waldorf Salad on granary)

↑ Up to the top!