Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Arizona Congresswoman shot by neo-nazi, others killed
Arizona Congresswoman shot by neo-nazi, others killed
2011-01-08, 11:09 AM #1
http://www.npr.org/2011/01/08/132764367/congresswoman-shot-in-arizona

Wow.
2011-01-08, 11:12 AM #2
I've been going from news site to news site trying to read about this. Your link is the first one I've read that has actually said "killed". All the others just say 12 shot. What time did this happen?
2011-01-08, 11:16 AM #3
She was shot in the head and as a result passed away. I also read that at least 12 others were shot. Awful, just awful.:nonono:
666, The Number of the Beast.
664, The Bloke Next Door.
Matt Bonner, The Lebron Killer
2011-01-08, 11:20 AM #4
Originally posted by Dash_rendar:
I've been going from news site to news site trying to read about this. Your link is the first one I've read that has actually said "killed". All the others just say 12 shot. What time did this happen?

Shortly after 10am MST.
2011-01-08, 11:30 AM #5
:(:(:(

I guess he killed at least 4 people including a child. Fortunately they got the guy.
2011-01-08, 11:46 AM #6
[http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3911100/fuuuuck2.jpg]
2011-01-08, 11:48 AM #7
Very distasteful Tibby.

Anyway, most recent report is she is in critical condition.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2011-01-08, 11:48 AM #8
I think you should be telling someone else how distasteful that is.
2011-01-08, 11:50 AM #9
Originally posted by Tibby:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3911100/fuuuuck2.jpg

Wtf is your problem? Grow up or get the hell away from this thread.
2011-01-08, 11:50 AM #10
I don't know how often that kind of thing happens in America, but that sucks. :\
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2011-01-08, 11:52 AM #11
I think you should be telling someone else how distasteful that is.

Yeah because she clearly called for her to be shot. You're trying way too hard to be a troll.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2011-01-08, 11:56 AM #12
You're a ****ing dickwad troll for posting that.

BTW, an hour later and CNN still isn't reporting her death. They just said she's in surgery and alive. Fox News and NPR reported her dead half an hour ago.
2011-01-08, 12:01 PM #13
CNN reported her death earlier, then changed it. CNN now says there are conflicting reports.
2011-01-08, 12:01 PM #14
I don't think that makes him a dickwad troll... The hunting theme is pretty heavily implied on the Palin map and slogans. Although, this shooting seemed to be in reaction to the Congresswoman being one of the only democrats to agree with re-evaluating healthcare, so this seems to be more like in fighting. Regardless of "which side" killed her, it means politics have gotten far too petty. How we come out of it I don't know, though.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2011-01-08, 12:07 PM #15
Hey, I'm pretty shocked and appalled this happened, and untill there's further evidence as to the shooters motives we can't go out and immediately accuse the right wing of planning this. But I feel that picture is a very important thing to show people, especially now that it appears Palins staff have taken it down.
2011-01-08, 12:07 PM #16
There's only a few ways to interpret "aim", "reload" & bulls-eyes pointing at that particular district. It's feasible that a mentally-ill tea-bagger (not that difficult to imagine) is incapable of distinguishing between symbolism (assuming that's what it is) & literalism.
? :)
2011-01-08, 12:10 PM #17
There have been acts or suggestions of violence against her before:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/10/gabrielle-giffords-town-h_n_255656.html
http://azstarnet.com/news/local/crime/article_eb24e4fe-35dc-11df-ad88-001cc4c03286.html

I really hope they're not related.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2011-01-08, 12:21 PM #18
Originally posted by Wookie06:
Yeah because she clearly called for her to be shot. You're trying way too hard to be a troll.

Crosshairs painted on a map, her saying "Don't give up.. RELOAD." etc etc.
2011-01-08, 12:31 PM #19
[http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3911100/fuuuuck2.jpg]

As distasteful as it may appear, I believe it does hold some truth as to what a good majority of people may be thinking. The country isn't happy with what has transpired over the past two years and people are pissed.

As sad as this is, if it was politically motivated, I think politicians everywhere should take a few moments to ask themselves what exactly it is they're doing.
2011-01-08, 12:36 PM #20
"She is responding to commands and we are confident she will make it through sergury."

-AZ state senator Lopez

Hopefully the long term damage is minimal to none....
2011-01-08, 12:37 PM #21
Originally posted by Fett 316:
I think politicians everywhere should take a few moments to ask themselves what exactly it is they're doing.

Maybe ask what the **** Sarah Palin was thinking when endorsing this image in the first place. What's this about "common sense" when putting crap out like this.

There have been acts of violence and threats made to politician offices during the whole healthcare legislative period, so putting out media involving crosshairs and "reload" to make political statements is sheer stupidity.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2011-01-08, 12:41 PM #22
This is terrible. I'd never heard of her, and yes, my first thought was "which kind of crazy did this?" But that's hardly the point right now is it?
Warhead[97]
2011-01-08, 12:42 PM #23
You're a ****ing dickwad troll for posting that.
BTW, an hour later and CNN still isn't reporting her death. They just said she's in surgery and alive. Fox News and NPR reported her dead half an hour ago.

This wouldn't be the 1st time that Fox News called something too early. Anyone remember Bush/Gore in Florida? ta da tss...
2011-01-08, 12:46 PM #24
Gtfo, Mentat. Start a different thread or something.
Warhead[97]
2011-01-08, 12:53 PM #25
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Maybe ask what the **** Sarah Palin was thinking when endorsing this image in the first place. What's this about "common sense" when putting crap out like this.

There have been acts of violence and threats made to politician offices during the whole healthcare legislative period, so putting out media involving crosshairs and "reload" to make political statements is sheer stupidity.

I wholeheartedly agree. I don't know for a fact or not if it was intended to be taken that way or not though.

However, supporting a health care overhaul that was widely unpopular isn't exactly intelligent either.

Quote:
Last March, Giffords was one of 10 House Democrats who were subjected to harassment over their support for the national health care overhaul. At the time, the front door of Giffords's Tucson office was shattered in an early morning incident.
2011-01-08, 12:55 PM #26
Originally posted by Mentat:
This wouldn't be the 1st time that Fox News called something too early. Anyone remember Bush/Gore in Florida? ta da tss...

For your information, all of the major news networks majorly ****ed this up. After this story first broke, they all got it wrong.

Get your facts straight before making a statement.
2011-01-08, 1:08 PM #27
It turns out the congresswoman is not dead, and is currently recovering from surgery. She was shot through and through in the head, and the bullet passed through her brain. There has been one confirmed fatality, a "young child." :(

Five others are in surgery.

Also, I don't know why anyone bothers responding to Tibby or Mentat's trollings. It never gets anywhere and only serves to encourage further trolling.
2011-01-08, 1:26 PM #28
However, supporting a health care overhaul that was widely unpopular isn't exactly intelligent either.

Because attempting to better your country is a bad idea, it'll get you hurt!
Also I'm not ****ing trolling, I'm pointing out a very disturbing trend. How Palin can post that and NOT see this happening is beyond me.
2011-01-08, 1:31 PM #29
I live in Tucson not far from the site of the shooting, pretty scary stuff. She is at the University (of Arizona) Medical Center, she isn't dead.

Tibby isn't really trolling, he's re-posting reddit links. It's not distasteful on his part, it's not like he is endorsing the act, that would be on Palin's group.
2011-01-08, 1:35 PM #30
With all due respect you guys, phrases like "Setting our sights on...", "Gunning for....", "Aiming for...", and so many others that are similar in nature are extremely common and used in everyday language by most Americans. Just because a politician (and I highly doubt she's the first) decided to use it as a theme to rally her (prospective?) constituency does not mean is was ever intended to be taken literally. Are you all stuck in Bobby's World?
2011-01-08, 1:43 PM #31
With all due respect you guys, phrases like "Setting our sights on...", "Gunning for....", "Aiming for...", and so many others that are similar in nature are extremely common and used in everyday language by most Americans. Just because a politician (and I highly doubt she's the first) decided to use it as a theme to rally her (prospective?) constituency does not mean is was ever intended to be taken literally. Are you all stuck in Bobby's World?

I have no doubt that Palin's group did not intend for these phrases to be taken literally; however, their wording (regardless of current circumstances) is poor and distasteful when referencing OTHER HUMAN BEINGS.
2011-01-08, 1:46 PM #32
For your information, all of the major news networks majorly ****ed this up. After this story first broke, they all got it wrong. Get your facts straight before making a statement.

I never stated otherwise. It's obvious that I know that Fox wasn't alone given the quote that I was responding to (it mentions NPR as making the same mistake). However, you're wrong about "all of the major news networks" ****ing this up. A few news sources didn't jump the gun & declare her dead, just like they didn't jump the gun & call Bush our next president, before they could've been certain of this. This is why you saw some of them (if you were paying attention) state that "there's conflicting sources". If your point is merely that the news in this country blows then I'm right there w/ you.
2011-01-08, 1:46 PM #33
Who cares?

Did Palin shoot her?

No, she didn't.

Stop trying to further your political agenda by blaming her. I don't care if she was standing right next to the guy screaming SHOOT HER! SHOOT HER!, she didn't pull the trigger.

Blame the man who actually did it, not the political target you don't like.
2011-01-08, 2:01 PM #34
I don't think that anyone is actually "blaming" Palin (at least not anyone here). A few people are merely pointing out that she could've chosen her words a bit more "carefully" given the political atmosphere in this country right now. However, her words were chosen quite carefully so that they'd appeal to the right. It's not as if people weren't saying that before this shooting. I think we should be allowed an "I told you so" moment if the shooter turns out to be a tea-bagger. If he turns out to be a private space tour pilot (pissed about her stance on privatizing the space industry) or a Greenpeace activist (maybe she's a whaler by hobby) then we'll all be feeling cheesy.
2011-01-08, 2:02 PM #35
Originally posted by Mentat:
I don't think that anyone is actually "blaming" Palin. A few people are merely pointing out that she could've chosen her words a bit more carefully given the political atmosphere in this country right now. It's not as if people weren't saying that before this shooting. I think we should be allowed a potential "I told you so" moment if the shooter turns out to be a tea-bagger.

Exactly. Calm the **** down, JM.
2011-01-08, 2:05 PM #36
Question 1: why did the guy shoot everyone!? motivation?

Question 2: Why are so many Americans pro-gun?

Question 3: Would it be possible to eradicate the possession of firearms at least partly? Or do rednecks outnumber the smarter yanks 2 to 1?

Sad times.

This doesnt really happen in ENgland other than inner city London, Manchester, and Northern Ireland. You know, the scummy areas. :carl:
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2011-01-08, 2:08 PM #37
and lol teabaggers
Code:
  do her}
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2011-01-08, 2:12 PM #38
Originally posted by Ruthven:

So we can defend ourselves from nut-jobs like this.
2011-01-08, 2:17 PM #39
Originally posted by Trigger Happy Chewie:
So we can defend ourselves from nut-jobs like this.

and then it spirals out of control, same happens here in our capital with young kids. there be no easy answer.

ANd whats the deal with the tea party? At 1st glance their ideals seem fair, but Palin/Republicans? wtf
Dont let your country implode please, england dont want to end up speaking Chinese/RUssian (or worse, french)
Code:
  do her}
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2011-01-08, 2:19 PM #40
Question 1: why did the guy shoot everyone!? motivation?

I don't think that anyone really knows at this point (except for people that may know the shooter personally).

It's engrained in our culture & our Constitution. We're essentially taught from birth that we have a God-given right to bare arms. Basically, if it's good enough for God & our forefathers, it's good enough for us. However, the 2nd Amendment isn't as cut & dry as many would have you think & its meaning is debated to this day.

Question 3: Would it be possible to eradicate the possession of firearms at least partly? Or do rednecks outnumber the smarter yanks 2 to 1?

It'll happen eventually. It's inevitable that we'll progress to that point. Probably after this generation of rednecks & yanks are dead & buried.

↑ Up to the top!